Link Posted: 11/20/2010 5:36:42 PM EDT
[#1]
just got some last week at pep boys
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 12:12:53 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know how "controlled" they are. But I can tell you that if you call Orion and try to order 6 cases, they give you all kinds of runaround.

Do you a fleet???

Our you angry to verbs?

No. I still HAVE a cast on my arm and can't feel my fingers all that well. I miss words on occasion.

Link Posted: 11/21/2010 12:15:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I've seen CS teargas pull pin rubber ball grenades for sale on GB... I can't imagine it being too difficult to find a road flare
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 12:19:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I went through this a couple of weeks ago redoing my truck bag.  Suddenly, NO ONE sells road flares anymore  I looked all over town trying to find them and I finally just assumed that tweakers were using them to make meth or something.  Then today, I was in ACE Hardware and they HAD a bunch.  I keep half a dozen in my BOB.  Never know when you need to burn shit down
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 1:17:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Of course, thanks for adding so much to the conversation..

Quoted:
our roadflares? You mean are roadflares right?

Link Posted: 11/21/2010 1:49:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Goddamn, I can't read this thread... to many grammatical errors.
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 1:49:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
course i wonder why people still use road flares much better choices out there for signaling nowdays.

Leave your common sense out of this.

It is far for fun to envisions an Illuminati / Bilderberg conspiracy than to acknowledge that for 99% of people, a safety triangle accomplishes the mission just as well, if not better, and doesn't have the bad habit of falling apart into a useless mess when kept in a trunk for 10 years.
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 2:44:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
course i wonder why people still use road flares much better choices out there for signaling nowdays.

leave you common sense out of this.

It is far for fun to envisions an Illuminati / Bilderberg conspiracy than to acknowledge that for 99% of people, a safety triangle accomplishes the mission just as well, if not better, and doesn't have the bad habit of falling apart into a useless mess when kept in a trunk for 10 years.

#1: If they suck, why do cops use them almost exclusively?

#2: I go through my in vehicle roadflares every year. Hell I just used all I had in my truck about a week ago when I came across a bad wreck at a blind turn. I use the things, often. They won't have time to go bad.

#3: You cannot set things on fire, chase people or convince the aborigines you are the fire god with a reflective triangle.

TR85.

Link Posted: 11/21/2010 2:54:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

#2: I go through my in vehicle roadflares every year. Hell I just used all I had in my truck about a week ago when I came across a bad wreck at a blind turn. I use the things, often. They won't have time to go bad.

#3: You cannot set things on fire, chase people or convince the aborigines you are the fire god with a reflective triangle.

TR85.

Your number 1 and 2 underscore my point.  If you use them regularly, you are in a few small minority of the road-going population.  For most people, they get stored in a trunk and forgotten about, and may very likely have crumbled by the time they are needed.

Your number 3 example is stellar reasoning, and is causing me to reconsider whether I need flares.
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 3:06:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't know how "controlled" they are. But I can tell you that if you call Orion and try to order 6 cases, they give you all kinds of runaround.

Do you a fleet???

The whole fleet?

Yes, and he doesn't afraid of anything.
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 3:14:40 AM EDT
[#11]
My buddy works for the railroad, so he can get them whenever he wants. I get a few from him here and there. I have maybe 20.

Link Posted: 11/21/2010 4:02:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 4:48:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I just bought some at Auto Zone last week.
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 4:52:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TR85.

cops here don't carry them. i have not seen a flare in use in 20 years here.

Every department I know of in Texas uses flares like they're going out of style. Especially in the larger cities, where they are effectively required to clear traffic from a lane..

The only reason anyone has even suggested getting rid of them is for cost savings, and that has't been taken well.

TR85.
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 4:55:58 AM EDT
[#15]
You can get road flares here but no sparklers on the 4th of July. Go figure.
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 4:56:34 AM EDT
[#16]

I know I saw a road flare deployed the other day with a bayonet on it...I quickly drove by so it would not attack my tires.
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 5:00:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Every department I know of in Texas uses flares like they're going out of style. Especially in the larger cities, where they are effectively required to clear traffic from a lane..

The only reason anyone has even suggested getting rid of them is for cost savings, and that has't been taken well..

We have a case in every car. I've been at accidents where you go through that entire case and you have to ask for resupply.

We tried the "electronic flares"; for the most part they didn't work as well.
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 5:04:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Your number 1 and 2 underscore my point.  If you use them regularly, you are in a few small minority of the road-going population.  For most people, they get stored in a trunk and forgotten about, and may very likely have crumbled by the time they are needed.

Your number 3 example is stellar reasoning, and is causing me to reconsider whether I need flares.

Most of the road-going public is lucky to have a spare tire thats properly inflated when they need one. The general public tends to be woefully under-prepared when I find them flipped over in a ditch, buried in a snowbank, etc.

I hand out flares from my trunk to the general public all the time and urge them to keep a couple handy for when they need them.
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 5:07:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only reason anyone has even suggested getting rid of them is for cost savings, and that has't been taken well..

We have a case in every car. I've been at accidents where you go through that entire case and you have to ask for resupply.

Police, and Traffic Work Crews use them like they are going out of style in the metro Detroit area, moving work crews use them to warn of upcoming "rolling work crews" that way they don't have to go back to clear cones, barrels etc.
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 5:08:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My buddy works for the railroad, so he can them whenever he wants. I get a few from him here and there. I have maybe 20.

Holy FUCK, I have never seen a single thread with worse collective grammar.
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 5:12:58 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My buddy works for the railroad, so he can them whenever he wants. I get a few from him here and there. I have maybe 20.

Holy FUCK, I have never seen a single thread with worse collective grammar.

Grammar got ran over by a reindeer.....

Link Posted: 11/21/2010 5:16:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Hell, the first thing we are taught in crash investigation school is if you are not sure what to do, light some flares.  Unless, of course the vehicle is leaking gas.

Flares are pretty cheap and if we went to LED safety signals we would promptly lose at least half and then go back to flares.  

On a side note, I once had a flare lose it's protective plastic cap and scrape against something in my cruiser's trunk and light the whole trunk on fire.  Do not leave flares loose rolling around in your trunk.  That was an exciting few minutes until the fire guys showed up.
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 5:17:40 AM EDT
[#23]
I'll sell you a road flare.... 500 dollars!
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 5:25:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

In a sadly ironic note, five minutes ago I drove past (opposite direction) a multiple-fatality potential wreck (guessing, but three vehicles with the passenger compartments completely destroyed... Must have been fatalities). Incident was such a mess that all lanes of a four-lane-each-direction limited access highway were closed... Roadflares looked like a fucking Christmas tree across the highway. They brought the oh-shit wagon for this one, which is basically a van full of flares and the other shit you need for that.

It's eight in the morning on a Sunday, and traffic is backed up for two freaking miles.

410/Vance Jackson eastbound for the locals.

TR85.
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 5:31:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hell, the first thing we are taught in crash investigation school is if you are not sure what to do, light some flares.  Unless, of course the vehicle is leaking gas.

Flares are pretty cheap and if we went to LED safety signals we would promptly lose at least half and then go back to flares.  

On a side note, I once had a flare lose it's protective plastic cap and scrape against something in my cruiser's trunk and light the whole trunk on fire.  Do not leave flares loose rolling around in your trunk.  That was an exciting few minutes until the fire guys showed up.

I've always found it funny that the fire extinguisher is always in the trunk where the cache of incendiary flares, small arms ammunition, and probably 100lbs of flammable shit is. Lots of good that does.

TR85.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top