Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/12/2016 11:15:42 PM EDT
To me, the Bronco seems more versatile, but does the Super Tucano have a stronger engine?

Would the A-29 be better for the kinds of missions the OV-10 is being used for in Iraq?

Is it possible to put the Pratt and Whitney PT6A engine on the Bronco?
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 11:38:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Who is using an OV-10 in Iraq?
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 11:42:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Vietnam-era planes used against ISIS
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 11:44:07 PM EDT
[#3]
It would be a lot harder to drop five paratroopers from the back of a Super Tucano than it would from a Bronco
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 11:59:34 PM EDT
[#4]
The TPE-331 is just as tough, if not tougher than the PT-6.

I've got thousands of hours on both, and although the 331 can be temptemental on start it is a fine engine. Plus it's direct drive, and the power comes up fast compared to the PT-6. Just watch the OV-10 video posted here not long ago the pilot basically jams the power levers forward, not something I would suggest with a PT-6.(now granted I've never flown the FADEC PT-6's, but even then I assume there is still a lag due to the free turbine design)

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:25:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It would be a lot harder to drop five paratroopers from the back of a Super Tucano than it would from a Bronco
View Quote

Yep, there's that.  Does the plane have to give up carrying ordnance to do that?
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:29:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Cost effective military operations?  Heresy and witchcraft.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:32:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yep, there's that.  Does the plane have to give up carrying ordnance to do that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, the OV-10 carries basically nothing.  It's an observation aircraft after all.  The Super Tuco has a hell of a lot more relevant payload and because of the central fuselage mounted engine it has conventional wing pylons for forward firing munitions.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:34:52 AM EDT
[#8]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FMA_IA_58_Pucar%C3%A1

The Pucara seems like a good time.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:38:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:42:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yes, the OV-10 carries basically nothing.  It's an observation aircraft after all.  The Super Tuco has a hell of a lot more relevant payload and because of the central fuselage mounted engine it has conventional wing pylons for forward firing munitions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can arm a Bronco with 4 7.62s,a centerline 20mm and take your pick on 6 more hardpoints,up to and including 4 Hellfires out under each wing.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:43:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Count the engines on both airplanes.  

Now imagine you're at low level, doing gun runs, or even medium altitude dropping hellfires on goatfuckers heads while you orbit the battlefield.
Now remember the scene from Flight of the Intruder where the VC points his "100-year old musket" to the sky and gets a lucky hit on the Skyraider?
When you take a hit from the golden BB, and inevitably every once in a while someone will, having certain redundancies is important.
How many engines do you want, to get you home?

Which is why the best ground attack aircraft come with two.  See my avatar pic.
For COIN, the Bronco can't be beat.  If the airframes and parts are available (what'd we do, steal back from CalFire?), they deserve to be put to use.  One of my favorite airplanes.
For conflicts where the bad guys have armor and AAA, the A-10 is the answer.

The Tucano is a fine airplane too, I advocated for them in the last few threads.  I'm really just saying that in comparison, if both are equally available and operational, the Bronco wins.

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:45:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Are there any modernized broncos?

We are already modding super taco's with US comms and other gear onboard.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:47:29 AM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:51:20 AM EDT
[#14]

That's a fine payload, for a helicopter.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:53:46 AM EDT
[#15]
We know the Bronco can use amphibious assault ships.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:55:13 AM EDT
[#16]
If only we had of developed aircraft for the COIN mission...

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:55:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Is all the extra ordnance on that bird real or Photoshopped?
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:02:24 AM EDT
[#18]
My first thought on reading the article was that SF was using the OV-10's deployment as "proof of concept" for light turbo prop aircraft based close to the troops they are supporting.  Not as an attempt to get more OV-10's.

Personally, the one time I was waiting for air support, I didn't care that what showed up was a couple OH-58's instead of Apaches, F/A-18's, or a fucking B-52.  I was just happy to have something with guns and ordnance overhead right then instead of taking off from a carrier in the Gulf or flying up from Kuwait or whatever.  I am pretty sure the SF and infantry type are thinking the same thing.  They could give two shits what particular light COIN aircraft they get, they just want something overhead when they call.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:03:26 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Real, proto type, probably will never be built.

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:12:56 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

was the a-37 any good?  they look like a fun little jet to fly.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:16:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Did the ATF give their Bronco up to go to Iraq as well

yes yes I know it was taken from um and given to customs and the shell company they had it licensed under was folded up
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:18:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Our Latin American allies are flying the wings of the ones they got from us, fighting insurgents and doing counter drug patrols.  It was easy to fix, had a second seat, well within their mission parameters. What is the modern replacement?
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:29:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Super Tuc  all the way.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:29:25 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Read up on it for yourself, I've always liked them from the first time I saw one at an air show.

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:39:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Read up on it for yourself, I've always liked them from the first time I saw one at an air show.  

http://www.airspacemag.com/military-aviation/legends-of-vietnam-super-tweet-8974282/?page=1

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.airspacemag.com/military-aviation/legends-of-vietnam-super-tweet-8974282/?page=1

They are very cute.  Like a European sports car with wings.  Noisy as a banshee.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:40:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

They are very cute.  Like a European sports car with wings.  Noisy as a banshee.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They called the A/T-37 the "tweet" for good reason.  They do a great job at air shows, I was pretty surprised at the maneuverability.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:47:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

after reading that, yes, yes it is.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 4:24:00 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yes.  The OV-10X has a pair of them.

The original OV-10As had a rather weak pair of engines.  USAF ordered them with the less powerful engine.  USAF didnt like or want the Bronco.  USMC liked and wanted it, but they prdered the Bronco with the same weak engines.  The Navy's Broncos came from the USMC.

Since the Marines kept their OV-10As, they upgraded them after Vietnam.  I believe it was the D model that got the powerplants originally intended.  I dont know much about the OV-10G, but I think the cockpits were modernized and a new 5 blade prop assembly was added.  The OV-10G+ is supposed to be fairly close to the OV-10X

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 4:32:32 AM EDT
[#29]
The OV-10 Bronco's versatility alone should give it the nod over the A-29, and I like the Super Taco

As others mentioned, you can haul 5 paratroops with it, 6 if you remove the rear seat.  You can haul a fair amount of cargo and gravity drop it the same way you would the paratroopers.  Speaking of cargo, you could use fuel tanks with parachutes to haul even more cargo.  You can put two wounded personnel on stretchers in the back with a medic, or 3 without the medic.

OV-10s can carry modern smart munitions.  The OV-10X has always been said it would have the ability to slave armed UAVs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfC3ChIjCcQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49BpdALG3iU

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 4:34:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The original OV-10As had a rather weak pair of engines.  USAF ordered them with the less powerful engine.  USAF didnt like or want the Bronco.  USMC liked and wanted it, but they prdered the Bronco with the same weak engines.  The Navy's Broncos came from the USMC.

Since the Marines kept their OV-10As, they upgraded them after Vietnam.  I believe it was the D model that got the powerplants originally intended.  I dont know much about the OV-10G, but I think the cockpits were modernized and a new 5 blade prop assembly was added.  The OV-10G+ is supposed to be fairly close to the OV-10X  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't see anything about new engines here:

http://www.ov-10bronco.net/Technical/boeing_ov-10%28x%29_super_bronco_info_card_2009_01.pdf

The thought that the AF bought the OV-10 with shitty engines because we "didn't like or want it" is hilariously stupid.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 4:41:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You can arm a Bronco with 4 7.62s,a centerline 20mm and take your pick on 6 more hardpoints,up to and including 4 Hellfires out under each wing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

G+ was carrying APKWS and .50 gun pod
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 4:55:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Our Latin American allies are flying the wings of the ones they got from us, fighting insurgents and doing counter drug patrols.  It was easy to fix, had a second seat, well within their mission parameters. What is the modern replacement?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

F-35!
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:01:33 AM EDT
[#33]
I was with VMO-2. The OV-10A was a good aircraft. It was easy to fix.  The mechanics could change an engine out in a couple of hours. The aircraft was built with a lot of redundant systems.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:11:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

F-35!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

F-35!

Aaargh!  The entire annual budget of the Salvadoran Army was just $120 million a few years ago!
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 11:09:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 11:13:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I've got thousands of hours on both, and although the 331 can be temptemental on start it is a fine engine. Plus it's direct drive, and the power comes up fast compared to the PT-6. Just watch the OV-10 video posted here not long ago the pilot basically jams the power levers forward, not something I would suggest with a PT-6.(now granted I've never flown the FADEC PT-6's, but even then I assume there is still a lag due to the free turbine design)

View Quote

What, in the name of Hindu butt sex, did you just say?
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 11:18:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

They were our CAS in El Salvador.  They had six of them.

If the weather was good, we could have air support within fifteen minutes from call-out.

Gutsy pilots, but had a habit of dropping ordnance a little close.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 11:22:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The OV-10 Bronco's versatility alone should give it the nod over the A-29, and I like the Super Taco

As others mentioned, you can haul 5 paratroops with it, 6 if you remove the rear seat.  You can haul a fair amount of cargo and gravity drop it the same way you would the paratroopers.  Speaking of cargo, you could use fuel tanks with parachutes to haul even more cargo.  You can put two wounded personnel on stretchers in the back with a medic, or 3 without the medic.

OV-10s can carry modern smart munitions.  The OV-10X has always been said it would have the ability to slave armed UAVs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfC3ChIjCcQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49BpdALG3iU
View Quote

No wonder the ATF wanted them.

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 11:28:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Boeing has offered an OV10X with modernized avionics and engines.

Kharn

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 11:30:15 AM EDT
[#40]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vietnam-era planes used against ISIS

Seams to be .mil operating, prolly no contractor jobs
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 11:35:06 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Won't the Bronco be able to carry that load longer, cheaper per hour, and in high and hot conditions better than a whirlybird?

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 11:40:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

what is that?
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 11:54:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 11:55:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Kharn

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

John McCain put paid to OV-10X.

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:01:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Kharn

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

I'm sure, for what?  The low low price of $15M per unit?

"But that's a bargain compared to $55M per unit for this other sexy bird that they really wanted.............."
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:21:29 PM EDT
[#46]
https://youtu.be/4Wx00Aq9Vsk
I see no need to phase these out, good machines
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 6:49:04 PM EDT
[#47]
The Marines ought to be operating them off of their Wasp LHDs.  They'd be more capable than Harriers for the kinds of missions we're performing today.  Far cheaper, too.

ETA- Bronco pron!  

Can easily operate off of highways and unpaved strips too.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 7:37:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

Not quite, McCain cut the original budgeted funds, the Pentagon re-purposed funds from other programs to do it anyway. They were even used against ISIS.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 7:41:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Count the engines on both airplanes.  

Now imagine you're at low level, doing gun runs, or even medium altitude dropping hellfires on goatfuckers heads while you orbit the battlefield.
Now remember the scene from Flight of the Intruder where the VC points his "100-year old musket" to the sky and gets a lucky hit on the Skyraider?
When you take a hit from the golden BB, and inevitably every once in a while someone will, having certain redundancies is important.
How many engines do you want, to get you home?

Which is why the best ground attack aircraft come with two.  See my avatar pic.
For COIN, the Bronco can't be beat.  If the airframes and parts are available (what'd we do, steal back from CalFire?), they deserve to be put to use.  One of my favorite airplanes.
For conflicts where the bad guys have armor and AAA, the A-10 is the answer.

The Tucano is a fine airplane too, I advocated for them in the last few threads.  I'm really just saying that in comparison, if both are equally available and operational, the Bronco wins.

View Quote

Man it's a shame all those A-1 drivers were basically flying suicide machines because they only had one engine.  Same with the A-4's
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 9:37:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Garret Grenades"  (the TPE-331 engines - I heard that nickname used many years before I heard "Glock Grenades")

"Push & Wait" (the P&W PT-6 engines - a comment on the lag between the pilot pushing the power lever forward, and the props getting the increased power from the engines)

Quoted:

A-37 stuff removed to trim quote tree

They are very cute.  Like a European sports car with wings. Noisy as a banshee.  

So are the TPE-331 engines on the OV-10.  When it's idling on the ground, the props are spinning at ninety something percent of max rpm.  That's why those engines don't have the lag that P&W PT-6s have.  

The TPE-331 is governed to be running at around max rpm all the time.  The pilot is essentially adjusting the blade angle of the prop, when he moves the power lever, and the engine's governor dumps more (or less) fuel into the engine to maintain rpm.  "Instant throttle response."

On a PT-6, the pilot moves the power lever, more fuel is dumped into the engine, and the prop's blade angle is adjusted to make use of the additional power from the engine.  It takes a little more time than "instant".
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top