Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/19/2017 3:02:30 PM EDT
I hope their estimates are accurate. 

Earlier this month, NASA, the space agency revealed an asteroid the size of a house set to narrowly skim the Earth in October, after it was spotted by scientists for the first time in five years.

The asteroid, dubbed 2012 TC4, first flitted past our planet in October 2012 at about double the distance of its next expected pass, before disappearing.

Now the European Space Agency (ESA) has tracked down the giant hunk of rock, which is about 15 to 30 metres (49 to 98 feet) long and roughly the size of a house.

TC4's next approach, predicted for October 12, will bring the massive object 'damn close', according to experts, when it flies inside the moon's orbit – just far out enough to miss our geostationary satellites. 

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4802926/THREE-MILE-wide-asteroid-set-graze-past-Earth-Sept-1.html#ixzz4qEGuUsdv 
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:17:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Size of a house? Like a single wide or Al Gores hous?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:20:40 PM EDT
[#2]
4.4 Million miles. That's not a graze.

I think I'll sleep soundly.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:22:41 PM EDT
[#3]
We should shoot at them
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:24:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We should shoot at them
View Quote
So next time around it's course has been altered enough to hit us?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:25:21 PM EDT
[#5]
IIRC they estimate that an asteroid the size of a porta-john wiped out the dinosaurs. No telling what a house-sized object would do 
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:25:41 PM EDT
[#6]
There's been multiple ones of similar size pass within the same earth/moon distance so far this year.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:28:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Moon is only a couple hundred thousand miles. That ain't very far.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Shoot, we'll be dead long before that.

Sept. 23 is when the happenings.

On September 23, 2017 a sign forms in the heavens that fits the requirements of Revelation 12. As far as can be determined from computer models, this is the only time this sign will occur in history. Therefore, this would literally be the Great Sign of Revelation that is to appear in heaven. The woman in heaven is Virgo–the Virgin. The sun is the sun “clothing Virgo” and the moon is actually under her feet. The garland of twelve stars are the nine stars of Leo with three wandering stars that have been situated within Leo at this time to make twelve. Those wandering stars are: Mercury, Mars, and Venus. The last element of the sign is that the Virgin must be with child. The planet or star of the Messiah is Jupiter. Jupiter at this time is in the womb of Virgo. Again, no replication of this sign has yet to be found.
View Quote
Prophecy fulfilled
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:32:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
IIRC they estimate that an asteroid the size of a porta-john wiped out the dinosaurs. No telling what a house-sized object would do 
View Quote
Yeah, but the Dinosaurs were goofing off a lot so that has to be factored in.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:32:21 PM EDT
[#10]

We've run our course. It's time to go.

My daughter's contribution to the thread:
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:32:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
lol, no.  This hose sized one set for October is roughly the same size as the one we have all the dash cam vids from in Chelyabinsk Russia a few years ago.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:32:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
No. Between 6 and 9 miles across. Chicxulub Crater.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:34:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
We deserve it. 
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:39:23 PM EDT
[#14]
What type of glasses to view an asteroid?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:40:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Better start putting my books in the septic tank.

Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:42:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Let's send some out of work oil drilllers to drill a hole and send a nuke down the hole 
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:46:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Night of the Comet!

https://youtu.be/Lnjiy85ExcA
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:47:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Prophecy fulfilled
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

On September 23, 2017 a sign forms in the heavens that fits the requirements of Revelation 12. As far as can be determined from computer models, this is the only time this sign will occur in history. Therefore, this would literally be the Great Sign of Revelation that is to appear in heaven. The woman in heaven is Virgo–the Virgin. The sun is the sun “clothing Virgo” and the moon is actually under her feet. The garland of twelve stars are the nine stars of Leo with three wandering stars that have been situated within Leo at this time to make twelve. Those wandering stars are: Mercury, Mars, and Venus. The last element of the sign is that the Virgin must be with child. The planet or star of the Messiah is Jupiter. Jupiter at this time is in the womb of Virgo. Again, no replication of this sign has yet to be found.
Prophecy fulfilled
So the moon is in the seventh house? And Jupiter aligns with Mars? Will the sun shine in?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:49:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Better start putting my books in the septic tank.

View Quote
Haven't read that book in ages.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:53:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
There's been multiple ones of similar size pass within the same earth/moon distance so far this year.
View Quote
God's firing warning shots across the earth's bow.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:53:42 PM EDT
[#21]
That's not really that big of an object.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The article talks about  two different asteroids.  One is 2.7 miles in diameter, and will pass within 4.4 million miles (about 4.7% of the distance to the sun).  The other is 15 to 30 meters, and will pass closer than the moon's orbit, which is about 239,000 miles.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:58:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Tc4 is pretty close. Interesting if I read right, astronomers only have 7 days to measure its exact path and size on oct 4 thru 11th.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
It must have been a portajohn for a 6 mile tall dude then cause that asteroid was around 6 miles long.
Also, the largest known complete meteorite resides in Namibia. It hit the Earth about 88,000 years ago.
It looks a little bigger than a portajohn and we're still here.

The Hoba Meteorite.

Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:17:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well, we are talking about the same people who screwed up units and slammed into mars, so they might have forgotten to carry the one at some point.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:18:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It must have been a portajohn for a 6 mile tall dude then cause that asteroid was around 6 miles long.
Also, the largest known complete meteorite resides in Namibia. It hit the Earth about 88,000 years ago.
It looks a little bigger than a portajohn and we're still here.

The Hoba Meteorite.

https://photos.travelblog.org/Photos/25320/864382/f/8268771-The-Hoba-Meteorite--the-largest-known-meteorite-in-the-world-That-s-a-block-of-solid-metal-that-until-80-000-years-ago-was-flying-through-outer-space-0.jpg
View Quote
That sure made a small yet unique crater.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:20:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#28]
I wonder if they’ve ever modeled the damage caused by a 6-mile object missing the surface yet plowing through the atmosphere say at 20,000 feet.
I’m sure it would rattle a few windows.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:24:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:27:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Sweet!
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:27:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Apohpis (sp?) is much bigger slated to come between our satellites and atmosphere is 2029. Then will supposedly hit earth in 2036. It's gonna be a doozie.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:32:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's the main story.

The last paragraph describes TC4 which will pass inside the moon orbit.  Doesn't say how close, but says it will miss the geo sats.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:35:06 PM EDT
[#33]
This is what a 50 meter wide meteor can do

Meteor Crater in AZ is about 3900 feet across and 560 feet deep.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:35:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
No.  The crater in Arizona isn't even a mile wide and was made by something 160 feet across.  The crater that wiped out the dinosaurs is 108 to 186 miles across. 
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:37:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
this is quite literally the dumbest thing I have ever heard. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:42:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Luckily, Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck are still alive.

Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:44:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Apohpis (sp?) is much bigger slated to come between our satellites and atmosphere is 2029. Then will supposedly hit earth in 2036. It's gonna be a doozie.
View Quote
Per wiki that impact has been ruled out, but theres a slight chance of an impact a few decades later, something like 1 in 150,000.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:47:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Oakleys brah, always Oakleys.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:52:18 PM EDT
[#39]
What size house are we talking about here? African mud huts or Taylor swift mansion sized?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Y'all comparing the size of past impacts aren't considering the angle of attack or direction up-earth's orbit or down-earth's-orbit they came from. 
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:56:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Oh good. Things were getting a bit silly.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:57:30 PM EDT
[#42]
The bugs sent it.

Would you like to know more?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:00:45 PM EDT
[#43]
The tides will be so high that Seattle to Los Angeles will be wiped out.  And people think prayers aren't answered.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:02:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Impact rated
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:04:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Impact rated
View Quote
Impact rated safety glasses. Thick ones with very dark lenses. 
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:07:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
WAIT!!!

What happened to the dinosaurs? I thought they were hiding out in Africa!
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:21:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
We deserve it. 
View Quote
Point of clarification... When you say "we" you mean Connecticut, right?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:24:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
IIRC they estimate that an asteroid the size of a porta-john wiped out the dinosaurs.  
View Quote
Negative, Ghost Rider.   The Chicxulub asteroid (the one most likely to have wiped out the dinosaurs) was estimated, based on crater size to be over FIVE MILES in diameter.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:43:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But wear them up above the brim of your camo ball cap, where they are most effective.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top