BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 7:08:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I own page 2.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All progress is good progress. I'm working on the drawers for the right side. Build drawer slider for top drawer, then build the drawers. Next I'm mounting the stove.  I've decided to bite the bullet at the end of June and order the tent. Maggiolina Airtop, medium will work perfect.

Stolen from google:
http://www.woick.de/outdoor-shop/media/images/info/CD179161web_maggiolina_air_top_small_black_storm.jpg
View Quote

I've been looking at RTT's, but a different style (those would be too long, anyway).

I'm thinking either Tepui or CVT, but the Mombasas are cheaper, so they've got that advantage (thinner material, though...)

Something like this:

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

One of the guys at work bought a Harbor Freight Mig welder, but just uses flux core wire (I don't think he ever got around to buying a tank and regulator).  It worked much better after he gave up on the Harbor Freight flux core wire and bought some better flux core wire at Lowes.

When we had to modify an engine hoist to clear the crates that Continental and Lycoming use, he brought the welder in for that job.  Even with heavier tubing than we probably needed (I think it was 1/4" wall thickness), it did a good job once the feed rate and amperage was set.  Only hickups were a couple times it overheated and the protection circuit shut it down.

Definitely not something to buy for a business, but should be fine for projects.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But I'm thinking about ponying up for a little flux-core wire feed unit and doing some welding.

One of the guys at work bought a Harbor Freight Mig welder, but just uses flux core wire (I don't think he ever got around to buying a tank and regulator).  It worked much better after he gave up on the Harbor Freight flux core wire and bought some better flux core wire at Lowes.

When we had to modify an engine hoist to clear the crates that Continental and Lycoming use, he brought the welder in for that job.  Even with heavier tubing than we probably needed (I think it was 1/4" wall thickness), it did a good job once the feed rate and amperage was set.  Only hickups were a couple times it overheated and the protection circuit shut it down.

Definitely not something to buy for a business, but should be fine for projects.

Harbor Freight has a 110V* Flux-core only welder for ~$110 that I've looked at, and Tractor Supply (and I'm finally getting one of those, it's under construction)  has a similar unit for $150. I've thought about buying that, and 'funding' it by building the 3-axis hitch I posted on the first page in lieu of a Lock-n-roll.

Hmmmm.

*-No 220 in the garage...
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#3]
A decent 120 volt wire feed will be money well spent. Go for a model with gas capability....it dramatically improved my amateur bead-making abilities.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:41:44 PM EDT
[#4]
bump this fellas.

I ordered my tent today.

Drawer slides are done, water spigot moved to outside. Waiting on my switches to get here to redo the electrical. New fuel filler hose ready to install this week.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:02:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
bump this fellas.

I ordered my tent today.

Drawer slides are done, water spigot moved to outside. Waiting on my switches to get here to redo the electrical. New fuel filler hose ready to install this week.
View Quote

Nice. You go with the Magnolia?

I've made zero progress myself, because I was in Vegas last weekend.

But I did pick up a 110V Flux-core-only welder. (It was on sale, and Vegas didn't clean me out)
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:12:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Yup, Maggiolina Airtop, size medium. Should arrive in a few weeks.

I use my friends welder for light stuff. Need to go get it to do the drawers once i bend them.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:29:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Awesome.

I don't have a trip planned before Labor Day (it's too damn hot), but I was thinking today that I'm probably going to be in a ground tent then.

I just don't see me having enough open weekends to get to where I want to be for a RTT by then.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 6:43:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Tub kit is officially on order!

2-3 weeks probably before I have it.

So I get to build it in July. In Phoenix.

I'm gonna melt.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 8:58:29 PM EDT
[#9]
What tub are you going with?

I'd be tempted by the Dinoot. Of course there was a trailer on ExPo in San Fran for like $750, almost complete. I totally would have driven for it if i was just starting out.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 10:25:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'd be tempted by the Dinoot. Of course there was a trailer on ExPo in San Fran for like $750, almost complete. I totally would have driven for it if i was just starting out.
View Quote

M-series. Going to leave it the full 72 inches. That was the plan all along, and why I built the frame the way I did.

Though I've had thoughts about the frame. It seems plenty strong, but the engineer in me has never seen something that can't be improved.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 10:34:54 PM EDT
[#11]

All this hard work and you could've just bought one of these!

Manley ORV Trailers

All kidding aside, yours is awesome! Nice work, OP!

Link Posted: 6/11/2014 10:36:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Tag
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 7:28:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Manley ORV Trailers

View Quote

Hell, I could have bought this!

...That is, if I had 30 grand lying around.

Anyway, progress today, it's officially registered!

Not much more will happen until the tub comes in. 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 7:55:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/10473813_10152493047038748_1716315446662327782_n.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Manley ORV Trailers

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/10473813_10152493047038748_1716315446662327782_n.jpg

Didn't someone here build something like this? I thought I had it in my subscriptions, but it's not there anymore.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 8:23:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Didn't someone here build something like this? I thought I had it in my subscriptions, but it's not there anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Manley ORV Trailers

Looks like a Benroy with some extras.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 8:31:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Manley ORV Trailers

I think the build I'm thinking of was a tear drop trailer.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 9:17:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Benroy campers are generally lumped in as a type of teardrop, though they are a little more boxy (not as nicely curved, but a little easier to build) than what most people think of when talking about teardrop campers.  There's a pdf file, floating around somewhere on one of the teardrop sites, of plans and build instructions for a 'Generic Benroy', so it's definitely possible that an arfcommer built one.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 9:27:11 PM EDT
[#18]
If you're able to, I would weld the trailer frame connections. They have a tenancy to wiggle themselves loose on the road, I couldn't imagine offroad. Welded connections should also help with the complete lack of triangulation or gussets in the trailer design.

At the very least, upgrade to some quality hardware.

Harbor Freight trailers are at home on the back of TJs

Link Posted: 6/13/2014 9:31:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Here's my M416 trailer

PB160277 by plymouth1957, on Flickr" />
PB160279 by plymouth1957, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 9:36:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice project!
I like the look of the 416s, I'm in the middle of building a teardrop trailer at the moment but once I'm done, I'm thinking about making one of the Harbor Freight 40x46" trailers into a mini-416-look-alike for hauling crap to the dump or mulch, etc. My tractor already has a ball on the back of it, so I could just transfer the entire trailer from my truck to the tractor when I need to move stuff around the yard.

Instead of the eye bolts, I'd look at using airline track for your tie-downs, its lower profile and much more adaptable. You could set your tie-downs for the right length and clip them into position, without having to adjust them when its time to move.

Register your trailer in Maine for $21 for two years via mail, super easy and no messing around with inspections or whatever.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 10:03:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you're able to, I would weld the trailer frame connections. They have a tenancy to wiggle themselves loose on the road, I couldn't imagine offroad. Welded connections should also help with the complete lack of triangulation or gussets in the trailer design.

At the very least, upgrade to some quality hardware.

Harbor Freight trailers are at home on the back of TJs

<a href="http://s855.photobucket.com/user/emp7y_01/media/20130519_091950_zps83d58976.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab120/emp7y_01/20130519_091950_zps83d58976.jpg</a>
View Quote

Yeah, that's the plan. I just bought a Flux-core only 110V welder for the purpose, should be more than adequate to weld the frame connections.

Tomorrow I'm going to do some practice; I've done a lot of weld engineering in my past, but I haven't practically touched a welder in 7 or 8 years. (And even then, I didn't do much, just enough to prove to the guys that I could. But I was very careful not to get my ass certified in anything we did a lot of (I did on Submersion Arc, but mainly because I bought the machine and noone knew how to use it, so I spent some time learning...) because I didn't want to get dragged in on holidays and shit to do actual work.  Plus, I've been in Aerospace a while, so Flux-core Carbon Steel... yeah, we don't do that.

I'm pretty confident that a morning of welding scraps will get me good-to-go, though.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 10:04:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Register your trailer in Maine for $21 for two years via mail, super easy and no messing around with inspections or whatever.

Kharn
View Quote

Dammit.

2 hours at the DMV and $129 later and you tell me that.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 11:17:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Nice project!

Kharn
View Quote

Tell me how to do this with a trailer i built. currently registered in TX

I'm finding agencies that will do it for $42 a year. Online possible, renewal only.  hook a brother up. Mine just expired.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 12:43:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'm finding agencies that will do it for $42 a year. Online possible, renewal only.  hook a brother up. Mine just expired.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice project!

Kharn

At least in Az, it's a permanent registration. No renewals, ever. That's kinda nice. Though the $129 bux on this one hurts a bit. (My boat trailer was basically nothing, they hit you up front, transfers are cheap. My Neighbor's 'Home Built' trailer is actually an 'old' trailer, he rebuilt it around the nameplate of a POS)
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 1:03:48 AM EDT
[#25]
I went down this road a few years ago.  It's nice to have a package all in one.  I will eventually go to something 'like' a trailer though and be done with the RTT idea.

Link Posted: 6/14/2014 12:04:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I went down this road a few years ago.  It's nice to have a package all in one.  I will eventually go to something 'like' a trailer though and be done with the RTT idea.

<a href="http://s202.photobucket.com/user/enigma2y0u/media/Trailer%20Build/Sketchup.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa231/enigma2y0u/Trailer%20Build/Sketchup.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s202.photobucket.com/user/enigma2y0u/media/Trailer%20Build/DSC00794.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa231/enigma2y0u/Trailer%20Build/DSC00794.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s202.photobucket.com/user/enigma2y0u/media/Trailer%20Build/524458_747398246174_604269140_n_zps3bdaf179.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa231/enigma2y0u/Trailer%20Build/524458_747398246174_604269140_n_zps3bdaf179.jpg</a>
View Quote

Nice!

What RTT did you buy?
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 12:12:37 PM EDT
[#27]
We bought the Tepui tent.  I think it was the largest one they had at the time.  When I am looking at the website the names don't sound familiar, but it appears to be the Gran Sabana.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 12:38:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Great thread ....keep the ideas and pics a commin' !

Quoted:
M-series. Going to leave it the full 72 inches. That was the plan all along, and why I built the frame the way I did.

Though I've had thoughts about the frame. It seems plenty strong, but the engineer in me has never seen something that can't be improved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I knew that I couldnt be the only one with a thought process like that .

I never seem to be able to look at something without modifying it in my brain . . . . too often gets me into a project over my head

Link Posted: 6/14/2014 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#29]
OCD is hell!
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 12:42:38 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Kharn
View Quote

Ah-HAAAAA !

THAT'S why I've always seen so many Maine trailer plates all over the country....I knew it had to be a $$$ thing .

Thank you

Link Posted: 6/14/2014 12:44:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

OCD is hell!

View Quote

Is that what they call what I have ?

Link Posted: 6/14/2014 1:04:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
We bought the Tepui tent.  I think it was the largest one they had at the time.  When I am looking at the website the names don't sound familiar, but it appears to be the Gran Sabana.
View Quote

Yeah, I'm leaning that way, too. Kukenam - not the smallest, but not a monster, either. I was also looking at a CVT Mt. Bachelor, but they appear to have just raised their prices (and took away the Annex, it's no longer included in the base price, which is a little thing, but makes the increase hurt more).

The Mombasa's are also appealing, mainly because they're cheap, but I'm thinking there's a reason why they're cheap, and I don't really understand the material differences.

You think the Tepui is pretty stout? I'm worried about it developing little holes, etc, and not being easily fixable, and me being out $1k.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 1:05:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I never seem to be able to look at something without modifying it in my brain . . . . too often gets me into a project over my head

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

If it wasn't so goddamn hot outside, I probably would modify it. I still probably will, but damn, it's hot out there.

10AM, and I've been driven back inside. (Of course, I was welding, so...)
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 1:35:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm leaning that way, too. Kukenam - not the smallest, but not a monster, either. I was also looking at a CVT Mt. Bachelor, but they appear to have just raised their prices (and took away the Annex, it's no longer included in the base price, which is a little thing, but makes the increase hurt more).

The Mombasa's are also appealing, mainly because they're cheap, but I'm thinking there's a reason why they're cheap, and I don't really understand the material differences.

You think the Tepui is pretty stout? I'm worried about it developing little holes, etc, and not being easily fixable, and me being out $1k.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When we first got it I was a little pissed because the frame is like 128 gauge aluminum, I thought I could poke through it with my finger.
But it has actually held up just fine.  I have even less worries about the canvas material and stitching; it seems really well done.
The zippers are good on it even after really wrenching on the main cover one to get it all closed up time after time.
The pad isn't too stiff or soft.
It sheds rain really well.
I has enough venting for 100 degree desert days.

I don't like how noisy it is when there is 50MPH winds going on.  It doesn't seem like there are enough tie downs and things to make everything quit flapping.
I don't like how the ladder is basically the support for the one side.  You have to fuck with it forever to get it just right.
I don't like the ladder in general, I can never seem to push the right tabs to get it to all lock without again fucking with it forever.
I don't like how the rubber cover attaches to the frame.  It is always ready to peal off it seems.

All in all I am happy with it.  My bitches are pretty minor.  The only thing I that ever really pisses me off is when it is windy and all the different layers flap together.  It is built plenty durable.  I have taken that trailer through some interesting places, jumped it, etc. and the tent seems to package up fine enough to hang on for the ride.

Link Posted: 6/14/2014 1:48:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice project!

Kharn

No need for a broker/agency, call the Maine BMV directly and ask for a registration packet for a non-resident.  (207) 624-9000 ext. 52149
They are extremely helpful and nice.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 2:41:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Tub shipped early (less a spacer which he'll ship early next week, but I don't need that initially).

FedEx says it should be here Saturday! So Saturday AM, I really need to finish welding...
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:05:39 PM EDT
[#37]
awesome. I'm calling Maine tomorrow!

And good news on the tub. Tonight I should have my switches done. Decided to go with a Blue Sea 4306, fused switch panel. Comes ready to install your leads and a ground. Decided to go with BAL C series jacks for the rear. They'll tuck up under the rear nicely, not affecting my escape angle much
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 12:55:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Tub arrived!

Link Posted: 6/21/2014 1:15:06 PM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 6/21/2014 1:23:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Mine is the bed from an old Ford Courier. upgraded axle with wheels and tires the same as my Jeep.

16 gallog fuel tank for the Jeep, 20 gallons water, on board propane for stove. 2 deep cycle batteries to run the fuel and water pumps, as well as LED lighting.
Eventually it will have sliding drawers for food, hard mount stove, and a Maggiolina on top. Then an awning off the left side. I'll have the entire area between wheel wells  for junk like folding chairs, kid tent, and such.

It's a couple years in the making, and a steady but slow project.

Whatever you do, don't go look at expeditionportal.com

It's the arfcom of the expo world.
View Quote

Damn you

Link Posted: 6/21/2014 1:30:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Damn.. I wish I lived out west. We don't have the access to large open land like you guys out west do.  I'd love to build one for my K5 but unless your on 44s and love mud pits or bashing the body up we are out of luck here in the Midwest.

I still might build one and make the trip every other year.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 2:16:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Damn.. I wish I lived out west. We don't have the access to large open land like you guys out west do.  I'd love to build one for my K5 but unless your on 44s and love mud pits or bashing the body up we are out of luck here in the Midwest.

View Quote

Do it. Dallas isnt exactly the center of outdoor recreation. Tharts part of the fun, the travel!
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 2:49:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Go with No Tailgates (so the front of mine, 2x) and seal it up really good.

The original M416's were designed to float, this probably would, too.

Though the drag in mud would be a bitch.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 2:52:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Welcome to the addiction OP.  Expedition portal is worse than this place in terms of costing you money.  

Here's a link my trailer build thread
View Quote

I just read through the whole thread and really enjoyed it. Thanks for posting the link and great job on the build.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 7:41:03 PM EDT
[#45]
I'd like to build one with a top tent, but  in the center have a channel that my xr650L could be loaded into.

sort of like two truck tool boxes on each side of the trailer with wheel space between.    I'd just hinge a piece of aluminum plate onto the top of one tool box and when the bike is unloaded it could fold over to the other tool box to make the platform for the tent.  

Link Posted: 6/22/2014 8:21:47 PM EDT
[#46]
That's a good design. Usually bikes are carried sideways on the back, allowing more room to work, but I like the concept. A rooftop tent of the folding design, like CVT and such could easily be carried on it's side, then laid down when the bike is off.

You should also look here:
http://www.jumpingjacktrailers.com/index.php
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 8:28:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
That's a good design. Usually bikes are carried sideways on the back, allowing more room to work, but I like the concept. A rooftop tent of the folding design, like CVT and such could easily be carried on it's side, then laid down when the bike is off.

View Quote

They have kits like the Jumping Jack, too, that you can put on your own frame.

You could also build a rack with gas struts, so you could raise the tent up when the bike is there, and drop it down when it isn't.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 11:12:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You could also build a rack with gas struts, so you could raise the tent up when the bike is there, and drop it down when it isn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm liking the idea of a rack that the tent stays on too.  If I did a rack, underneath it, beside the bike(over a tool box) I could hang a kayak on each side.  

Reason I put the bike in the center was for balance and a 650L would stick out so far if sideways.

Secondly I have a slide-in pop up camper for my crew cab Chevy k3500 so a tent is really only needed if I were to take my K5. I love the CVT mt. Baker tent.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 12:21:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Stove is mounted, getting gas line run today.

I got my leveling jacks in a couple days ago. BAL C series 31"  Wanted the extra length so IF I stop on unlevel ground, it wont matter, as the legs have about 8" extra reach. I'll work on those when I can get with my buddy and his welder. I'm welding a plate to the frame to mount the legs to.

Also decided to change over to a 7 blade harness instead of 4 pin.  I'm going to use one of the extra 10ga wires to charge the trailer batteries off the Jeep. I'll have a switch in the jeep to activate a constant duty solenoid that will connect battery to trailer harness. That way I can turn it if trailer batteris are full, starting jeep, to not drain jeep battery in camp, etc...

oh yes, progress all around, but still tons to do.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 5:04:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Stove is mounted, getting gas line run today.

I got my leveling jacks in a couple days ago. BAL C series 31"  Wanted the extra length so IF I stop on unlevel ground, it wont matter, as the legs have about 8" extra reach. I'll work on those when I can get with my buddy and his welder. I'm welding a plate to the frame to mount the legs to.

Also decided to change over to a 7 blade harness instead of 4 pin.  I'm going to use one of the extra 10ga wires to charge the trailer batteries off the Jeep. I'll have a switch in the jeep to activate a constant duty solenoid that will connect battery to trailer harness. That way I can turn it if trailer batteris are full, starting jeep, to not drain jeep battery in camp, etc...

oh yes, progress all around, but still tons to do.
View Quote

Where'd you get those leveling jacks?
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top