Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/13/2017 10:55:32 PM EDT
Anyone have one of these? I would like something that I can tow behind my 100 series Land Cruiser. It needs to be fairly light and compact. Ideally it would be shorter than the roofline of the Cruiser. There are plenty of options, but most seem to cater to the expo crowd, which often has more disposable income than your average guy. I don't care about handcrafted cabinets, made of teak, recycled from 18th century whaling vessels. I just want a plain Jane rig, with a water tank and a place to sleep.

Comprehensive list
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:21:03 PM EDT
[#1]
OST
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:22:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OST
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:26:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't have one, but this is the link you seek:

Expedition Portal - Expedition Trailers
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:33:05 PM EDT
[#4]
It is a shame that such basic trailers are going for 10k+ and there is not even enough room to comfortably lay down and sit up/ stand in.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:35:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't have one yet. Looked at the possibility of putting together a rooftop camper or a trailer rig for the Excursion a couple of years ago.

Cool link.

I might have to revisit that possibility.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:48:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Other than speed of setup I havent figured the need for such a thing,  utility trailers can be lifted by putting the axle under the springs,  and tents are cheap.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:49:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Those prices, I'll go find me a m416 and mod it out myself. 
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:00:25 AM EDT
[#8]
They probably have the tent to set on the rails of your Land Cruiser. Here is a Land Cruiser..

http://www.popularmechanics.com/adventure/outdoors/g2585/8-roof-top-tents/
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:02:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have you checked prices on m416s lately?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:03:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They probably have the tent to set on the rails of your Land Cruiser. Here is a Land Cruiser..

http://www.popularmechanics.com/adventure/outdoors/g2585/8-roof-top-tents/
View Quote

No doubt, but that really kills fuel economy and you are limited to whatever supplies will fit in the rear of the Cruiser.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:05:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

M416 run about 800-1000 on the used, beat, dented, rusty market

There is also a good FB page for M416/M100/M101 series trailers , and some 11xx also
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:11:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Been a member for a long time, but again that's a crowd that, for the most part, isn't on a very tight budget.

Ask about a cheaper product and you will get a lot of this-

Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:12:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I've been looking at these a bit lately as well, as I can't sleep for shit unless I'm sleeping on my own mattress, so the teardrop style off-road campers that offer a queen size mattress inside are a huge plus for me, but the prices are pretty ridiculous. Ideally I'd love something like the Moby1 XTR with the rooftop tent and a few amenities for under 10k, but that seems rather unlikely.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:14:33 AM EDT
[#14]
For off road/ back country camping I really like the Jumping Jacks. They fold up, can store camping gear can also haul an ATV on top of them as well. They aren't fancy by a long shot but they set up fast and are compact and reasonably priced.

http://jumpingjacktrailers.com/index.php
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:14:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Don't have a trailer but I do have a RTT.

I have been considering building a trailer

Obligatory picture

Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:23:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Everyone says they can save money by building it themselves until they get about $7k into it... and aren't even close to a finished product. 

OP, my Turtleback is perfect behind a 100. It's been from AZ to VA, to SC, to ME, up into Canada and we'll be back out to the North Rim, Utah and New Mexico this summer with it. If you aren't in a hurry wait until Overland Expo and check the offerings out in person, maybe even score a deal on a demo unit?

Back when we got into it you could count the number of turnkey expo trailers east of the Mississippi with your fingers. Guy I bought mine from (used) had it for sale for a couple months and said there was little interest in it at the time. A few years later and  he could've moved it in a week at the price I bought it for. there are more used options out there than ever before. Adventure Trailer is another good one that can take a true beating off-road like the Turtle.

Pic of our setup about 5 days in on 15 days of the North Maine Woods:

Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:28:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Everyone says they can save money by building it themselves until they get about $7k into it... and aren't even close to a finished product. 

OP, my Turtleback is perfect behind a 100. It's been from AZ to VA, to SC, to ME, up into Canada and we'll be back out to the North Rim, Utah and New Mexico this summer with it. If you aren't in a hurry wait until Overland Expo and check the offerings out in person, maybe even score a deal on a demo unit?

Back when we got into it you could count the number of turnkey expo trailers east of the Mississippi with your fingers. Guy I bought mine from (used) had it for sale for a couple months and said there was little interest in it at the time. A few years later and  he could've moved it in a week at the price I bought it for. there are more used options out there than ever before. Adventure Trailer is another good one that can take a true beating off-road like the Turtle.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a363/tabraha/Acadia%20NMW%202015/20150731_0259.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a363/tabraha/Acadia%20NMW%202015/20150801_0186_1.jpg
View Quote

That's a nice looking set up on your car and the trailer. Mind sharing few other photos of both to see how you have the car and trailer set-up?

Thx
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:33:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a363/tabraha/Acadia%20NMW%202015/20150731_0259.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a363/tabraha/Acadia%20NMW%202015/20150801_0186_1.jpg
View Quote

I've been drooling over the the turtlebacks, but they start at about triple what I'm looking to spend, lol.
There are a bunch of people slapping these type trailers together these days. Maybe of the economy takes a crap I can find s deal on a used one, lol.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:35:49 AM EDT
[#19]
I planning on finishing mine within the next few months. OP just build one, not that hard unless you need it to be super complicated
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:36:36 AM EDT
[#20]
I've had plans for several years now but have not been able to fit it into the budget yet.
@maggiethecat built one from a small truck bed to pull behind his jeep.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:40:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I planning on finishing mine within the next few months. OP just build one, not that hard unless you need it to be super complicated
View Quote

If I decide to do a utility trailer, with rtt on a rack, I'll build it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:40:53 AM EDT
[#22]
If you want the very best, it IS finally available here in the States!

Clicky
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:41:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought one about 6 months ago for $650 with minor surface rust. I'll be turning it into an expo trailer w/ rooftop tent (got to learn to weld this spring). It took me a few months to find one in good condition, at a decent price, and not fully restored.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:46:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

A couple of buddies (all offroad guys, one of whom owned a fab shop) and I sat down and crunched the numbers on what it would take to build these.
I will put it this way, even at $10k a pop, the manufacturers are not getting rich on them by any means.

I nixed the trailer idea after following a buddy who had one and seeing what an extra hassle it was, especially on tight trails.
Also, California limits you to 55mph on the freeway and the two right lanes if you are towing. And the CHP loves to cite for it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:47:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Buddy has a jumping jack,  works good but not much for small stuff storage.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:48:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I've been drooling over the the turtlebacks, but they start at about triple what I'm looking to spend, lol.
There are a bunch of people slapping these type trailers together these days. Maybe of the economy takes a crap I can find s deal on a used one, lol.
View Quote
Price the parts out on these things and there's not an enormous amount of labor costs in them. Hell the RTTs are $1500-2000+ of the price right off the bat, and many come with them standard now. Toss in 35gal water tank, battery, solar, big tires, a suspension that functions better than a .mil buckboard etc etc and the $ in parts is higher up there than it looks. Plus you get to s kip out on all of the fun of rust abatement and learning what didn't work while still stuck on the trail.

I would seriously just hold out, build up the toy budget for a little longer and wait on a used turnkey trailer. Overlanding is "peak" and "en vogue" right now so in a few months I'm sure there will be a glut of used trailers out there. Many like new I bet. Mine was like new, still had the plastic on the pillows in the RTT! Watch ExPo like a hawk for a few months and I'd bet a good opportunity or two will pop up. 
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:51:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If you want the very best, it IS finally available here in the States!

Clicky
View Quote
30-50K
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:54:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Tag. 'Most I've looked at start at $16k.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:54:30 AM EDT
[#29]
About 2 or 3yr's ago someone here with limited fab-skills was showcasing his build as he progressed --------------- had it about 70-80% IIRC the last time I remember him posting about it.

Another member might remember who it was...

Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:05:26 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm not sure how much space, skill or time you have to take on a project, but I paid $100 for my M416. I've spent less money on the trailer than the tent costs and still a fraction of what a new one costs.  I got the tent on sale, 30% off.
It's kind of a pile of crap, but it's light, hauls the extra junk that keeps my family happy and leaves space in the Jeep for everyone and 2 dogs. 

Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:06:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

If I decide to do a utility trailer, with rtt on a rack, I'll build it.
View Quote

Thats where I am at right now. I had a TJ I was building this trailer for and then sold the TJ and lost interest. Recently started putting money in the JK and was thinking about a rack with RTT then it dawned on me...finish the trailer. Hopefully get it completed soon.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:16:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That's a nice looking set up on your car and the trailer. Mind sharing few other photos of both to see how you have the car and trailer set-up?

Thx
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thx

I'll try to hit this thread in the AM with some details. Dear God why did I ever choose Photobucket as a image host?!?! 
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:18:08 AM EDT
[#33]

So fucking sexy, well done
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:30:56 AM EDT
[#34]
ASUsax had a thread about "offroad trailers" that we managed to keep out of archive, but I guess it finally slipped away. I know you can still search for it.

As @oviscanis said, I built mine on the bed of a Ford Courier. The bed and frame had been built into a trailer.
I put a different axle, with lug pattern to match my Jeep TJ. Wheels and tires are all the same. 2 ten gallon water tanks, one in front of each wheel well. On left wheel well I have the water pump, which goes to a spigot on the outside of the bed on the back, and 1 deep cycle battery. Behind that a have a 2 burner propane stove on sliding hinge. Slides out onto tailgate, then folds down to use. It can use bottles or the onboard 20lb standard BBQ tank on the front of the trailer with plumbing running internally to the stove. Switch panel is also mounted by the stove. On top of right wheel well is another deep cycle battery. The two batteries or wired in parallel, and can be charged by the jeep. I used a 7 pin connector for the lights, extra 10ga conductor for trailer brakes used for the charging. Also an air pump for the air shocks is here.
Behind the wheel well are two drawers I use for food storage.
I put a 14 gallon fuel tank where the spare tire was under the bed. It has a pump and hose long enough to reach the jeep fuel  filler.
Between the wheel wells is about 36" wide, 6 feet long 16" tall to the bed rail. That's a lot of cargo space. I have a plastic box with all my cooking and eating  utensils, pots, pans, plates, etc. Due to my design the only reasonable option for cold food storage was a Yeti 65. No other brand would fit in my 16" space, so I have the yeti. Tons of room to carry stuff, like firewood, ground rent, folding chairs. On top of it, and acting as a tonneau cover is a Maggiolina Grand Tour. I have this on a rail system with a hinge at the front so I can raise it to easily access the water tanks. I went with this tent for a few reasons. It covers to contents of the bed almost perfectly. It's longer than the truck bed, about 4" over hang in front and 3 in rear. The width is queen size bed, so only a little trim work was needed to seal the trailer area. It is weather sealed. Another reason is ease of use. I can park on.level ground, and be in bed in under a minute. If unlevel ground I extend the 36" RV leveling feet first.  I can keep my bedding in the tent, which is another reason I chose it. I keep 4 wool USGI blankets in it all the time. Ithats sufficient down to 25 degrees or so with the wife and me.
Without the tent, I have about $1200 in the trailer.
I'll try to post pictures when I'm on my computer tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:32:26 AM EDT
[#35]

Excellent work man! I've got time, space and some of the skills. Getting motivated to complete more than half a project is the problem, lol.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:32:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Keep doing research for the next few months, and then make a trip to Flagstaff for the expo, make a decision once you've seen what's out there. Plus the ones you never see on the 'net - those are in the campground, which is a more interesting place than the actual expo.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:36:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:47:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Keep doing research for the next few months, and then make a trip to Flagstaff for the expo, make a decision once you've seen what's out there. Plus the ones you never see on the 'net - those are in the campground, which is a more interesting place than the actual expo.
View Quote

This the expo?

I'll have to check that out.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:51:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Check out these guys Patriot Campers

I believe they're currently in the US with stock....

And these guys.... Metalian
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:02:34 AM EDT
[#40]
TNTT.com if you are fairly handy and don't want to drop a small fortune.

I went this route about five years ago. Not an off-road rig. Mine was just big enough draft behind my Suburban.

They have a forum specifically related to building offroads.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:19:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This the expo?

I'll have to check that out.
View Quote
Yep, that's the one.

See you there!
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:53:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Check out a YouTube series, something like Expedition Overland Alaska. They use one of those offroad trailers. Pretty rugged set up and some real trail blazing they did.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:23:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Tag.

Probably don't need the extra space at all.

But I'm still tagging.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:30:19 AM EDT
[#44]
This guy is smoking crack on his prices, but I like the simplicity of the design.

Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:34:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Tag.

But I'm still tagging.
View Quote

Did you get it yet?

I've seen some guys with 110s, like yours, that had a sleeping platform in the back. Roll up the sides, zip up in the bivvy and sack out wherever you decided to park.

I'm jealous as hell of your Landie, I've been wanting one for years. Unfortunately the wife and kids aren't a good fit for my rugged individualist tastes...
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:36:21 AM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

Jeez, no shit

Hobby level fab work.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:37:42 AM EDT
[#47]
What about the Sylvansport GO Camper Trailer?

It's been on my wishlist for awhile now, but I don't have anywhere to store it at the moment.
The tent folds out from the top and can comfortably sleep 4 across. Sets up easy and has a nice big vestibule for some covered space. The really nice thing is it can double as a utility trailer and haul an ATV/bikes/kayaks/whatever.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:40:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Did you get it yet?

I've seen some guys with 110s, like yours, that had a sleeping platform in the back. Roll up the sides, zip up in the bivvy and sack out wherever you decided to park.

I'm jealous as hell of your Landie, I've been wanting one for years. Unfortunately the wife and kids aren't a good fit for my rugged individualist tastes...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tag.

But I'm still tagging.

Did you get it yet?

6 more weeks. It's starting to get painful to wait.

You could always get a 130 or 110 wagon.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:15:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Everything you need to know can be found on Expo Portal.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:20:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tag.

But I'm still tagging.

Did you get it yet?

I need electronics that actually work when (and how) they are supposed to!

Be sure you get some replacement smoke for that Rover.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top