BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:49:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just made it through that thread. Man, you've got blood, sweat and tears in that trailer! Turned out great. You have reinforced my opinion that building a box is a better route than using a surplus trailer. I guess I never thought about all the abuse those things must've taken, affecting the squareness. I never thought about talking to a sheet metal company. Having them bend panels to shape would be much easier than welding all the angles.
View Quote

Yup.  

I in no way regret building that thing, but if I were to do another one, I'd just build it from scratch.  It would probably be just as cheap and less work in the long run.   But whether you re-build one, build one from scratch, or simply just buy one, you'll have more money in it than you anticipate.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:25:20 PM EDT
[#2]
This is a Vietnam era lid for my M416.

I swapped out the OEM axle for a 3500 lbs Toyota compatible one.
Now I own a Rubicon.
I'm not changing the hubs.

Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:23:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This is a Vietnam era lid for my M416.

I swapped out the OEM axle for a 3500 lbs Toyota compatible one.
Now I own a Rubicon.
I'm not changing the hubs.

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/621/thumb-DSC-0402-1024-147990.jpg
http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/621/thumb-DSC-0399-1024-147991.jpg
View Quote

Cool. I didn't realize there were "issue" lids.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:34:25 AM EDT
[#4]
This thread is very relevant to my interests.

I have been looking at an off-road teardrop for a couple of years now.  I look at it strictly as a hard-sided tent, and know the limitations with standing up, space etc.  I like the idea of being able to go from driving to ready-to-go-to-bed in just a few minutes, with very little set up and tear down time.  I love the idea, but damn--they are expensive.  I have kind of a 'five year plan' for getting one, and in the mean time, I picked up a Kodiak canvas 10x14 tent that we use for family camping (which is fricken awesome).  I toyed with the idea of building one and trying to save a little money, but in the end I came to the realization that I simply don't have time, and it would end up being a never-ending-project.  I also thought about the RTT, but I know I'd break a leg falling out of it when I sleep walk.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:07:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Oooh, oooh, call on me!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:10:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Mine is the last for a tub.

Frame is heavily modified Harbor freight (which helps a lot for registration in many places), lid is completely homemade, as is rack and awning mount, RTT is Tepui.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:10:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This the expo?

I'll have to check that out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keep doing research for the next few months, and then make a trip to Flagstaff for the expo, make a decision once you've seen what's out there. Plus the ones you never see on the 'net - those are in the campground, which is a more interesting place than the actual expo.

This the expo?

I'll have to check that out.

I'll likely be there. It's a great day.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:13:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Seems like a bunch of people are using the tepui tents. Any downside to the kukenam?
View Quote

Love mine, but it's usually just me. Only really a 2-person option.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:19:46 AM EDT
[#9]
My Build thread has long since gone to archive, but here it is:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1625343_Off-road-Trailer-Build-thread--Shakedown-Cruise-pg-5-.html

Pics are all messed up, but they are linked in the thread.

ETA: And I have not been great about posting pics lately, so most of my stuff is not current.

Moab last fall, Campsite #1 (which didn't have enough room to deploy the awning, but had the virtue of being available...

Attachment Attached File

And Campsite #2, where I stayed for the next 3 days... both of these were right on the Colorado, this one had more space (sorry for the fuzzy photo, remember me not being good about pics?)

Attachment Attached File

I'm pushing a video to Youtube of the latter. All I've got, which is sad, it's been out many times in it's current config.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 7:34:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My Build thread has long since gone to archive, but here it is:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1625343_Off-road-Trailer-Build-thread--Shakedown-Cruise-pg-5-.html

Pics are all messed up, but they are linked in the thread.

ETA: And I have not been great about posting pics lately, so most of my stuff is not current.

Moab last fall, Campsite #1 (which didn't have enough room to deploy the awning, but had the virtue of being available...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/38583/14713786-10106853426644961-3547111246372398382-n-148186.JPG

And Campsite #2, where I stayed for the next 3 days... both of these were right on the Colorado, this one had more space (sorry for the fuzzy photo, remember me not being good about pics?)

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/38583/14724491-10106853430926381-8580638443463178934-n-148188.JPG

I'm pushing a video to Youtube of the latter. All I've got, which is sad, it's been out many times in it's current config.
View Quote

Glad you found this thread. Yours is the one I mentioned on page 1.

Pics of my build can be seen in ASUsax thread also.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 7:43:03 AM EDT
[#11]
iI also installed a new Toyota hub axle so I can interchange with my FJ.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:15:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This thread is very relevant to my interests.

I have been looking at an off-road teardrop for a couple of years now.  I look at it strictly as a hard-sided tent, and know the limitations with standing up, space etc.  I like the idea of being able to go from driving to ready-to-go-to-bed in just a few minutes, with very little set up and tear down time.  I love the idea, but damn--they are expensive.  I have kind of a 'five year plan' for getting one, and in the mean time, I picked up a Kodiak canvas 10x14 tent that we use for family camping (which is fricken awesome).  I toyed with the idea of building one and trying to save a little money, but in the end I came to the realization that I simply don't have time, and it would end up being a never-ending-project.  I also thought about the RTT, but I know I'd break a leg falling out of it when I sleep walk.
View Quote

Check out the Hiker campers. There are a few threads on ExPo about them. They are fairly inexpensive and easily modified to taste.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:17:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Frame is heavily modified Harbor freight (which helps a lot for registration in many places), lid is completely homemade, as is rack and awning mount, RTT is Tepui.
View Quote

I think I'm going to do the dinoot as well, being that it's a one source shop for everything. I know there is a mark up for that convenience, but I'll piecemeal it.

I'm probably going to order the kukenam next month and just run it on the roof for now.

I remember your build thread now. Good work!
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:07:27 AM EDT
[#14]
This company is in the OP link, but here is their website.
Adventure Trailers
I've gotten a few items from them and they are quality. Check the products section for parts to build your own.
We have a Four Wheel Camper Hawk.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:09:47 AM EDT
[#15]
If anyone is near Phoenix, Turtleback Trailers  has some parts for sale, including a prototype tub. 

Click me!
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:40:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I think I'm going to do the dinoot as well, being that it's a one source shop for everything. I know there is a mark up for that convenience, but I'll piecemeal it.

I'm probably going to order the kukenam next month and just run it on the roof for now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scott's a great guy, and he's been doing this a while now, so he's got some good knowledge.

Look around local for Tepui or CVT dealers. I got a pretty good deal on mine from a trailer manufacturer who bought in 10's at a discount and just sold me one at his price. And I had the same offer from a CVT dealer, but it would have come in his next batch - he was out of the Mt-whatever-I-wanted. Otherwise, shipping is on the steep side.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:59:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Could always design your own....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:13:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't get it.

Why not just take a regular pop up camper and lift it a few inches and add bigger tires?  You can get decent used ones for like $1500-$2k on craigslist.  More comfort, cheaper, easier...win.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:56:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I don't get it.

Why not just take a regular pop up camper and lift it a few inches and add bigger tires?  You can get decent used ones for like $1500-$2k on craigslist.  More comfort, cheaper, easier...win.
View Quote

Will not survive the abuse of offroading.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:57:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Let the bidding begin!

http://www.govplanet.com/for-sale/Trailers-Utility-US-ARMY-Tank-Automotive-Command-M416-Cargo-Trailer-Maryland/830184?h=5002%2Cmsg%7C20771%2Csm%7C0%2Csort%7Cp+asc%2CisAuc%7Cyes%2Cmf%7C1&rr=0.01695&hitprm&pnLink=yes

I have an old M100 I got free (tub is rough) and an M416 I picked up in Denton TX for $375 back about 10 years ago.  Great trailers to pull behind a Jeep.

I just toss my tent on the ground.  Don't see the point of the trailer-top tent where I camp out.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:02:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don't get it.

View Quote

Not a lot of storage in them.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:06:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Will not survive the abuse of offroading.
View Quote

Pretty much that.  And they are too wide.

it does make me lol at the ones offering a fiberglass expedition trailer.  Mine wouldn't have lasted a trip if it was fiberglass.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:06:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't get it.

View Quote

Some people have done just that. And discovered everyone else was right.  The off-road vibrations and bumping around destroys normal pop ups very quickly. They aren't made to handle the same stresses.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:18:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Some people have done just that. And discovered everyone else was right.  The off-road vibrations and bumping around destroys normal pop ups very quickly. They aren't made to handle the same stresses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't get it.

Yup. Your average pop-ups wold make it about 4 hours on a washboard road before they look like the old travel trailers from a Top Gear episode.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Get a $300.00 harbor Freight trailer and build your own.  They can be easy to make, or as complex as you like.

This is a great forum with plenty of build threads.

Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailers
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Prices for a teardrop are through the roof.

I want a teardrop.   But the current prices for them are more than they are worth,by and large.

Get a $300.00 harbor Freight trailer and build your own.  They can be easy to make, or as complex as you like.

This is a great forum with plenty of build threads.

Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailers
+1 to TNTTT, I built a weekender in 6 months, cost about $6k by the time I was done but I went a little crazy with materials since my wife was only going to let me do it once. I even put a bunk across our knees for our toddler to sleep on, but she loves to summer-salt off of it onto our laps to announce she has woken for the day.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

But a build off from a Harbor Freight trailer will?  OK.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:50:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Awesome thread. I've been researching myself. Really thinking about a DIY from scratch. I'm estimating <$2000 can get me a nice rolling frame and then I can start on the bucket.
So far I've got
$750 for Timbren 2k axle less suspension w/ hubs
$500 for wheels and tires to match what I have on my Explorer.
$250 for the 2x3 and 2x2 tubing.
$250 for Lock N Roll hitch

The turtleback frame design seems to be a pretty good start.

I figure a basic box bed w/ tailgate, 1" framing and sheet metal sides would be about $3-500. Getting fancy with custom boxes, water tanks, air tanks, ext.. is where the money goes.

I do figure I need to buy a Dewalt bandsaw and a welder so there goes another grand. I do have friends I could borrow a welder from.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:05:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

But a build off from a Harbor Freight trailer will?  OK.
View Quote

How much do you know about materials, stresses, and construction?  Even a thin welded angle steel is better than much thicker mechanically fastened aluminum.

That's what you're dealing with.
If you plan to load down the HF trailer, it will need to be reinforced, and build solidly.  That's just not possible with a prebyild pop-up designed for pavement.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:20:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

How much do you know about materials, stresses, and construction?  Even a thin welded angle steel is better than much thicker mechanically fastened aluminum.

That's what you're dealing with.
If you plan to load down the HF trailer, it will need to be reinforced, and build solidly.  That's just not possible with a prebyild pop-up designed for pavement.
View Quote

I know a fair amount.   I'm a senior level design engineer. If you need to reinforce a Harbor Freight trailer,  why couldn't you reinforce a pop up trailer?  It would be a lot easier than building something from scratch and a hell of a lot cheaper than than the retail units.  I understand that its probably going to be heavier and wider, but if you can live with that, why not go that route?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:19:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I know a fair amount.   I'm a senior level design engineer. If you need to reinforce a Harbor Freight trailer,  why couldn't you reinforce a pop up trailer?  It would be a lot easier than building something from scratch and a hell of a lot cheaper than than the retail units.  I understand that its probably going to be heavier and wider, but if you can live with that, why not go that route?
View Quote

I will say the 4x8ft heavy duty harbor freight trailer is pretty damn good. The folding ones suck.  I've had the HD one for about 10 years. I've hauled a lot of stuff on it and over loaded it a few times and it's held up really good. Bolting a 2x8 floor on it was a big improvement over the plywood floor I started with. It would do OK for simple off-roading if you flipped the axle to give it a little lift. However it's to damn long.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Since I work as a designer for a fab shop...  This thread is going to cost me some money...  *rubs hands together while going "mwhahahaha"  

Attachment Attached File

Just a quick mock up on my lunch break, still a long way to go from being perfect, but its a start
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 7:34:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Since I work as a designer for a fab shop...  This thread is going to cost me some money...  *rubs hands together while going "mwhahahaha"  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/159631/TRAILER-148530.JPG

Just a quick mock up on my lunch break, still a long way to go from being perfect, but its a start
View Quote

That's pretty, but what's involved in turning that rendering into a tub?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 7:46:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That's pretty, but what's involved in turning that rendering into a tub?
View Quote

Right now the model is in 3 parts.  The lower frame (which I'd imagine you'd buy and mount the bucket to), The bucket, and then the lid.  The entire thing is nothing more than sheet metal and square tubing...   For the sake of lightness I modeled it using Aluminum 1.5" Sq tubing, the walls are 12Ga Aluminum, and the Floor is 3/16" Stainless.  

For our shop it would be simple to make as we have the plasma table and bending equipment for the sheet metal etc, its just not in our normal scope of work so it would be one of those projects that would get done little by little after hours.  

I could come up with a fabrication cut list, detail out all of the material, lengths, dimensions I used etc for it... but my only word of warning is I obviously haven't had time to run any sort of analysis on it.  Just modeled it after what I've seen in pictures and tried to keep it to the same dimensions.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:11:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/159631/TRAILER-148530.JPG

View Quote

For the frame, why not bend a few pieces of appropriately-sized round tube?      Fewer welds, less weight, it's going to have a deck anyway, and there are all sorts of pre-cut gussets and mounting tabs available from the roll-cage and tube-buggy folks.

I don't think there would be room for coilovers

Edit, I quoted the wrong post, and don't think I can fix it without making a mess.   Meant to show the "starting at $17955" turtleback picture farther up.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:16:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

For the frame, why not bend a few pieces of appropriately-sized round tube?      Fewer welds, less weight, it's going to have a deck anyway, and there are all sorts of pre-cut gussets and mounting tabs available from the roll-cage and tube-buggy folks.

I don't think there would be room for coilovers

Edit, I quoted the wrong original post, and don't think I can fix it without making a mess.   Meant to show the "starting at $17955" turtleback picture farther up.
View Quote

Hhahahah I figured you were calling out my obvious lack of suspension in my 3d model
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:06:22 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm looking at a 2014 Jayco baja pop up, I'm not going to do serious trails just forest roads up to nowhere.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:28:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Right now the model is in 3 parts.  The lower frame (which I'd imagine you'd buy and mount the bucket to), The bucket, and then the lid.  The entire thing is nothing more than sheet metal and square tubing...   For the sake of lightness I modeled it using Aluminum 1.5" Sq tubing, the walls are 12Ga Aluminum, and the Floor is 3/16" Stainless.  

For our shop it would be simple to make as we have the plasma table and bending equipment for the sheet metal etc, its just not in our normal scope of work so it would be one of those projects that would get done little by little after hours.  

I could come up with a fabrication cut list, detail out all of the material, lengths, dimensions I used etc for it... but my only word of warning is I obviously haven't had time to run any sort of analysis on it.  Just modeled it after what I've seen in pictures and tried to keep it to the same dimensions.
View Quote

Cool. I was just curious about what the model does for the fabricator. Gives you all of the exact measurements you will need? I don't know anything about design or fab, I'm just a glorified version of this-

Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:38:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Cool. I was just curious about what the model does for the fabricator. Gives you all of the exact measurements you will need? I don't know anything about design or fab, I'm just a glorified version of this-

http://glassian.org/Making/Coal/shovelingcoal.jpg
View Quote

For structural members (stuff like square tubing, L-Angles etc)  It gives you exact measurements of where to cut, angles of the cuts, and what the weld needs to be.  Stuff like sheet metal, it'll unfold all of the parts to give their "flat patterns" and we can feed them right into the software for the plasma table and cut out the exact shapes.   Makes it super easy to design something like this, then arrange all of the "flat patterns" on one big sheet and let the table cut out all of the items.  then its just a matter of bending them and welding them.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:48:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

For structural members (stuff like square tubing, L-Angles etc)  It gives you exact measurements of where to cut, angles of the cuts, and what the weld needs to be.  Stuff like sheet metal, it'll unfold all of the parts to give their "flat patterns" and we can feed them right into the software for the plasma table and cut out the exact shapes.   Makes it super easy to design something like this, then arrange all of the "flat patterns" on one big sheet and let the table cut out all of the items.  then its just a matter of bending them and welding them.
View Quote

That's badass
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top