BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 557
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 11:42:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Alright, maybe there isn't another side to the story after all...
View Quote
I mean, with as many cell phones and cameras that are around now-a-days, and the fact that every ticket sold is linked to someone, I don't doubt there will be a full answer/conclusion to this story.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 11:45:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I would have expected the fans from the losing team to be the problem starters was all.

Home loss, disapointed, probably drunk. Pick on the smaller number of fans from the winning team. I assumed the away team fan was retaliating.

But drunks are going ruin a good time for everyone, winning side or losing side.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 11:46:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
QBR Top 5:
Purdy
Dak

Tua
Love
Goff

QBR Bottom 5:
Lawrence
Tannehill
Watson
Fields
Pickett
View Quote

Early this morning, Dak and Purdy were literally tied in QBR.  Now I see they went in and dropped Dak’s season QBR by more than 3 points 36 hours after his last game was played.

One more reason QBR is suspect.  Not only do we not know how the results are calculated, but they can manually adjust the results anyway they want, whenever they want.

Link Posted: 9/19/2023 11:50:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, if the NFL gave him a little less than 1/2 a game suspension per sexual assault, then what is shoving a ref?  Having to sit out the first 5 minutes of a game?
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 11:53:05 AM EDT
[#5]
If the league isn't going to suspend Kareem Jackson for braining wide recievers in back to back weeks, yeah, Watson is probably safe from anything but a nominal (to him) fine.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 12:04:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

On that team, probably 20 other starting QBs could have won those 3 super bowls.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those 3 SB wins were glorious. He was a better player than he is an announcer.

On that team, probably 20 other starting QBs could have won those 3 super bowls.

- Best O-line in NFL history

- NFL career rushing leader

- Hall of Fame WR

- All Pro TE

- Top 3 defense

- Hall of Fame HC

20 other starting QBs?  Hell, the Cowboys' water boy would have won 3 Super Bowls playing QB on that team.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 12:12:14 PM EDT
[#7]
DVOA top 5:

Cowboys
49ers
Bills
Dolphins
Browns

DVOA bottom 5:

Steelers
Bengals
Texans
Bears
Giants

https://www.ftnfantasy.com/articles/FTN/104674/week-2-dvoa-dallas-cowboys-and-the-best-defensive-starts-ever
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 12:23:13 PM EDT
[#8]

The Cowboys are the best team in the NFL... after dunking on two bad teams.

The Bears are the worst team in the NFL after losing to two teams with an unknown identity.

The Bills (vs Jets and Raiders) and the Dolphins (vs Chargers and Patriots) are the best teams in the AFC so far.

The Ravens (vs Texans and Bengals) are looking really good.

The Bucs (vs Vikings and Bears) are looking like a surprise.

The Saints, Chiefs, Falcons, WTF, and Eagles have all arrived at the same place by different paths.

The Cardinals are going to have to tank a lot harder to get their guy in the draft.

Bengals?
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 12:25:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 12:28:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Of course.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 12:46:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

But Matt Milano talks a little smack to Zach Wilson after he picks him off and gets a flag

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 12:55:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F6ZqoR3XkAAq0-M?format=jpg&name=large

The Bears are the worst team in the NFL after losing to two teams with an unknown identity.

The Bills (vs Jets and Raiders) and the Dolphins (vs Chargers and Patriots) are the best teams in the AFC so far.

The Saints, Chiefs, Falcons, WTF, and Eagles have all arrived at the same place by different paths.

The Cardinals are going to have to tank a lot harder to get their guy in the draft.

Bengals?
View Quote

When the Jets beat the Bills, the Jets were a team with an elite defense and a "serviceable" offense.

But then after the Cowboys' defense suffocated the Jets' offense and the Cowboys' offense dominated the Jets' defense, the Cowboys don't get any credit because suddenly the Jets are a "bad team."

Funny how that works.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 12:58:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/19/2023 1:01:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can't say I'm surprised.

This is the same league that thinks "certain players" committing sexual assault warrants less than a half game suspension.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 1:27:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did he grope an ofticial?
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

- Best O-line in NFL history

- NFL career rushing leader

- Hall of Fame WR

- All Pro TE

- Top 3 defense

- Hall of Fame HC

20 other starting QBs?  Hell, the Cowboys' water boy would have won 3 Super Bowls playing QB on that team.
View Quote

I was trying to be charitable

But yes, most of the NFL starter quality QBs in the league at that time, on the Cowboys, would have won those Super Bowls.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 2:24:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

When the Jets beat the Bills, the Jets were a team with an elite defense and a "serviceable" offense.

But then after the Cowboys' defense suffocated the Jets' offense and the Cowboys' offense dominated the Jets' defense, the Cowboys don't get any credit because suddenly the Jets are a "bad team."

Funny how that works.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bengals?

Funny how that works.

I'll give the Cowboys credit for hanging 30 on that defense, even if they needed FIVE field goals to get there, but the Jets offense is #30 by EPA and #31 by DVOA.

Link Posted: 9/19/2023 2:26:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Booooo!

I hope we get a season of the Chubb-less Browns losing games behind Watson’s poor QB play.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 2:29:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

First reply.  

Link Posted: 9/19/2023 2:39:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I mean, nothing Ben said is WRONG. In the last 4 years, only 1 team did it... He didn't say anything about teams doing it in every season for the 6 years further than that.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 2:39:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'll give the Cowboys credit for hanging 30 on that defense, even if they needed FIVE field goals to get there, but the Jets offense is #30 by EPA and #31 by DVOA.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bengals?

Funny how that works.

So a very good (or better) defense and a bad offense makes a, overall, "bad team"?

I can't say I agree with that logic.  Sure, you're not winning the Super Bowl with that, but that also doesn't mean the team is, overall, "bad," IMO.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 3:15:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

So a very good (or better) defense and a bad offense makes a, overall, "bad team"?

I can't say I agree with that logic.  Sure, you're not winning the Super Bowl with that, but that also doesn't mean the team is, overall, "bad," IMO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bengals?

Funny how that works.

I think this depends on the extent to which we're considering these units to be "good" or "bad."

Right now, the Jets defense is #20 by EPA and #13 by DVOA. The numbers in that range are pretty tightly grouped, so they're pretty much league average so far. If you want to give the Cowboys offense some credit for them being down there since only two games have been played, I think that's fair. But how much so? Going into the season, I though the Jets defense could be top 5, but that's looking optimistic. Top 10 seems like a realistic maybe, though.

But that offense? With Zach Wilson? It's terribad. For reference, there's been a whole lot of talk this week about how bad the Bears offense is. What if I told you the Bears offense is not just better than the Jets offense, but noticeably so? In terms of EPA, the Bears are at #27 with a value of -0.178 and the Jets are at -0.221. By DVOA, the Bears are #30 with a value of -32.8% and the Jets are #31 with a value of -41.1%. Both of these metrics have the Bears offense outperforming the Jets offense by ~25%.

When a team has a defense that is somewhere between average and top 10 but an offense that is a certifiable dumpster fire, I think that's still a bad team overall.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 3:22:30 PM EDT
[#24]

That's a sweet O-line you've got yourself there, Pittsburgh.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 3:26:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Funny how that works.
View Quote

So you're saying... ' It's our year™ '?
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 3:33:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 3:38:51 PM EDT
[#27]

So Green Bay got a third HOF QB in a row.

Can't wait for him to win one Superbowl and head to the Jets in a decade or so.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 3:43:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I think this depends on the extent to which we're considering these units to be "good" or "bad."

Right now, the Jets defense is #20 by EPA and #13 by DVOA. The numbers in that range are pretty tightly grouped, so they're pretty much league average so far. If you want to give the Cowboys offense some credit for them being down there since only two games have been played, I think that's fair. But how much so? Going into the season, I though the Jets defense could be top 5, but that's looking optimistic. Top 10 seems like a realistic maybe, though.

But that offense? With Zach Wilson? It's terribad. For reference, there's been a whole lot of talk this week about how bad the Bears offense is. What if I told you the Bears offense is not just better than the Jets offense, but noticeably so? In terms of EPA, the Bears are at #27 with a value of -0.178 and the Jets are at -0.221. By DVOA, the Bears are #30 with a value of -32.8% and the Jets are #31 with a value of -41.1%. Both of these metrics have the Bears offense outperforming the Jets offense by ~25%.

When a team has a defense that is somewhere between average and top 10 but an offense that is a certifiable dumpster fire, I think that's still a bad team overall.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bengals?

Funny how that works.

The Jets' D was very good/elite after one game, but the Cowboys' offense gets little credit for dominating them because the Jets' D is now "average" after the Cowboys' offense dominated them.  I don't think I even need to point out the fallacy with that logic.  And that's a general statement.  Not for you specifically.

I know you put a LOT of stock in your EPA/DVOA charts, but after only two games I don't think they have as much value as you think they do.  I watched every play the Jets' D has played this season and I highly question anyone or anything that claims that is an "average defense."
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 3:46:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny how that works.

"The consensus after week 1 was the Jets were a team with an elite defense and a 'serviceable' offense, but after the Cowboys' dominated the Jets in week 2 the Cowboys don't get any credit because suddenly the Jets are a 'bad team.'"

"So you're saying the Cowboys are winning the Super Bowl?"
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 3:48:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Bengals fans: “Well, this season can’t get any worse.”

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 3:49:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I would find that entertaining, but...

Players really far off the line are candidates for regression to the mean.

Players well above the line (Love, Dak, Russ, Purdy, Tua, etc) have stats that significantly outperform subjective charting, and are likely to perform worse as the season progresses.

Players well below the line like Lawrence and Watson are statistically under-performing their film, and are likely to improve.

Desmond Ridder being well above the line while also at the toilet end of the chart is a giant yikes.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 4:22:37 PM EDT
[#34]

I saw that last night. Young appears to be in over his head, he is definitely not up to speed on how fast the NFL is compared to college.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 4:28:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Players well above the line (Love, Dak, Russ, Purdy, Tua, etc) have stats that significantly outperform subjective charting, and are likely to perform worse as the season progresses.

Players well below the line like Lawrence and Watson are statistically under-performing their film, and are likely to improve.

Desmond Ridder being well above the line while also at the toilet end of the chart is a giant yikes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe Love is a franchise QB but he'll have growing pains like they all do. He showed his inexperience in the second half against the Falcons. But I blame that loss on our D.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 4:32:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I saw that last night. Young appears to be in over his head, he is definitely not up to speed on how fast the NFL is compared to college.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Young is also tiny.  He's going to have a very short career.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 4:47:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/19/2023 5:00:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a little presumptuous.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Bengals?
View Quote

49ers are the best team right now….ask Richard Sherman.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a miniscule observation.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 5:31:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Reports circling on Reddit state a group of Dolphin fans were starting shit/being obnoxious. The Patriots fan told them to shut up and a scuffle began between him and one of the Dolphins fans. A second Dolphin fan wearing a Tyreek Hill jersey (of course) then came from behind and sucker punched the Patriots fan before immediately fleeing the area.

Edit: Local (NE) Redditor is stating there are numerous cell phone videos that were captured and collected by law enforcement. A couple of the videos were reported as not appropriate for the news to run on TV. I imagine that's probably because they don't want to put a video of a man dying up on broadcast.
View Quote

Color me shocked.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 6:11:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Funny how that works.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bengals?

Funny how that works.

CDS
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 6:19:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Color me shocked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Reports circling on Reddit state a group of Dolphin fans were starting shit/being obnoxious. The Patriots fan told them to shut up and a scuffle began between him and one of the Dolphins fans. A second Dolphin fan wearing a Tyreek Hill jersey (of course) then came from behind and sucker punched the Patriots fan before immediately fleeing the area.

Edit: Local (NE) Redditor is stating there are numerous cell phone videos that were captured and collected by law enforcement. A couple of the videos were reported as not appropriate for the news to run on TV. I imagine that's probably because they don't want to put a video of a man dying up on broadcast.

Color me shocked.

What actually is shocking is there seems to be no raw videos (just the news clip) of it on Twitter when there must have been 10+ people filming it.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 6:32:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I believe Love is a franchise QB but he'll have growing pains like they all do. He showed his inexperience in the second half against the Falcons. But I blame that loss on our D.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 7:25:51 PM EDT
[#45]

They started 0-2 and made the AFC Title game last year. The difference already this season is the defense looks like it's not complete unit after losing Bates and Bell in the offseason. They had no answer for Lamar Jackson.

Burrow threw a terrible Red Zone INT last week and is injured--and if he doesn't play, starting against the Rams, they're dead, Jim.

Either way they aren't winning the AFC North, best scenario is squeaking into the playoffs with some fortunate health and hope for the best, but this season could stay ugly for them.

Link Posted: 9/19/2023 9:16:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It was a miniscule observation.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 9:56:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

CDS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bengals?

Funny how that works.

CDS

lol

Last time I checked, the Cowboys are a NFC team. I don't really hold any strong feelings about any NFC team.

I don't particularly like Eagles fans for the same reason nobody else does.

I found Snyder and all the WTF stuff to be disgusting, but kinda funny.

I used to find the Packers to be quaint and likeable, but mismanagement and Rodgers drama made that harder.

I dislike Pete Carroll, but I've been known to enjoy Seattle's weird brand of football.

I think Kirk Cousins is a good dude and an underrated football player.

And... that's about the extent of my NFC opinions.

The Cowboys could win the Super Bowl this season, and I'd be okay with that as long as they're not playing against the Chiefs.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 11:45:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Steeler QB Pickett says he and other players did not hear the fans chanting "Fire Canada".

Also Tomlin said some stupid things as usual.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 5:47:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
As far as the Patriots are concerned, it is clear that the 20 year run of success was more due to Brady than Belichick. Now, I'm not saying it was all Brady, but Belichick was certainly made better by Brady, not the other way around. Belichick is still one of the top HCs in the league (and...ever?), but he was vaulted to even greater heights by having Brady under center.

Brady proved he could go somewhere else and win a championship with an entirely different cast of players and coaches. Bill has proven that he can't.

Brady covered up and mitigated A LOT of shortcomings from his teammates and his coaches.
View Quote

Doesn’t his win/loss ratio without Brady show us that he’s mediocre at best?
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 6:02:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As far as the Patriots are concerned, it is clear that the 20 year run of success was more due to Brady than Belichick. Now, I'm not saying it was all Brady, but Belichick was certainly made better by Brady, not the other way around. Belichick is still one of the top HCs in the league (and...ever?), but he was vaulted to even greater heights by having Brady under center.

Brady proved he could go somewhere else and win a championship with an entirely different cast of players and coaches. Bill has proven that he can't.

Brady covered up and mitigated A LOT of shortcomings from his teammates and his coaches.

It's apparent that there are two different things about Belichick that are in play here:

1. Bill the coach

2. Bill the GM

Bill the coach is very good, certainly as good as anyone, anywhere, at any time. He has proven this. On this level, he and Brady had more of a symbiotic professional relationship. Bill helped Brady, but Brady really helped Belichick.

Bill the GM is quite a bit more complicated. It's looking more and more like Bill the GM benefited greatly by having Brady on the roster for a number of reasons.

A. Brady taking "team friendly" contracts that helped Bill sign more talent across the roster. Unlike other top tier QBs of his era, Brady didn't demand every last dollar he was worth.

B. Free agents willing to come to New England (many times at bargain bin pricing) because they knew that Brady gave them a chance to win it all.

C. Perhaps most importantly, Brady the player made everybody around him better. He made the O-line look great. He made his receivers look great. He helped his defense look better because he made the offense so much better. Brady covered Bill's sins as GM, of which there were plenty.
Page / 557
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top