Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Operation "didn't happen"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We need to name the operation before Biden does.

Operation "Wing and a Prayer"?
Operation "do the best you can"
Operation "they won't pin this on me"

Operation "didn't happen"

Operation “If you want to leave”
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 12:23:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Taliban asked Turkey for support to run Kabul airport, Turkish officials say

The Taliban have asked Turkey for technical help to run Kabul airport after the departure of foreign forces but insist that Ankara’s military also withdraw fully by the end-August deadline, two Turkish officials told Reuters.

The conditional request by the Islamist Taliban, who swept back to power in Afghanistan 20 years after they were ousted in a U.S. invasion, leaves Ankara with a difficult decision over whether to accept a hazardous job, one official said.

Mainly Muslim Turkey was part of a NATO mission in Afghanistan and still has hundreds of troops at Kabul airport. The officials say they are ready to withdraw at short notice.

But President Tayyip Erdogan’s government has said for months that it could keep a presence at the airport if requested. After the Taliban seized control of the country Turkey offered technical and security assistance at the airport.

“The Taliban have made a request for technical support in running Kabul airport,” a senior Turkish official said, adding however that the Taliban demand for all Turkish troops to leave would complicate any prospective mission.

“Ensuring the safety of workers without the Turkish Armed Forces is a risky job,” he said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Talks with the Taliban on the issue were ongoing and, in the meantime, preparations for a troop withdrawal had been completed, he said.

It was unclear whether Turkey would agree to give technical assistance if its troops were not there to provide security.

Another Turkish official said a final decision would be made by the Aug. 31 deadline for foreign forces to leave the country and end a 20-year military involvement in Afghanistan.

Keeping the airport open after foreign forces hand over control is vital not just for Afghanistan to stay connected to the world but also to maintain aid supplies and operations.

“It’s going to be a critical lifeline for the humanitarian action in Afghanistan,” Mary Ellen McGroarty, World Food Programme director in Afghanistan, said last week.

‘GOOD RELATIONS’

Turkey has praised what it described as moderate statements by the Taliban since they captured Kabul, and has said it is open to engaging with them once a new government is formed.

Taliban spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid said on Tuesday the group sought good ties with Ankara,

“We want good relations with Turkey, the Turkish government and the Muslim people of the Turkish nation. As for Turkish forces stationed in Afghanistan, we are not in need of them in our country and once the evacuation is completed we will secure the airport by ourselves,” Mujahid said.

Turkey had been responsible for securing Kabul airport under the NATO deployment and has been involved in evacuation efforts over the last two weeks.

The United States says it is coordinating with regional partners, as well as the Taliban, about the future operation of Kabul airport.

“A functioning state, a functioning economy, a government that has some semblance of a relationship with the rest of the world, needs a functioning commercial airport,” State Department spokesperson Ned Price said on Monday.

“We are in discussions with the Taliban on this very front. They have indicated to us in no uncertain terms that they seek to have a functioning commercial airport.”
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 12:29:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 12:29:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If so, good thing they told them were actually leaving on the 27th
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Taliban is clearing the roads of abandoned cars. That's a threat as they might be prepping the terrain for an assault w/MRAPs, VBIEDs, etc. That might be the motivation to get the troops out of there before the 31st.

If so, good thing they told them were actually leaving on the 27th
Unfortunately due to the CinC being a barely functioning potato, a reliable way to communicate policy over all the crosstalk within the admin is to release it in the media.

IMO the incompetence comes down to WH cabinet staff trying to direct Resident Potato to sign on to a direction with his authority, but he keeps screwing it up in his speeches and isn't actually mentally fit to make decisions or even communicate a cohesive policy. So now DoS and DoD are sailing their own huge bureaucracies in different directions with no guidance from the boss since there is no way the SECDEF or SECSTATE is going to get orders from WH staff interns.

TLDR: I guess you could say that the problem in the Regime is that the King is weak and the Dukes are looking after their own fiefdoms based on their own agendas because a Duke doesn't take orders from the King's courtiers who all have their own agenda and no accountability.

Link Posted: 8/25/2021 12:35:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I would expect they already have the airport zeroed in with mortars and heavier stuff, and could shut down the airport at will.
View Quote
Yep. But the Taliban would love to wipe out the American military's elite units. That's going to require an assault. Tally SOP is to blow an opening with a VBIED and rush in.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 12:51:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Interesting.

View Quote

They'll keep the ones they want to keep and send the others off to the US.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 12:53:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yep. But the Taliban would love to wipe out the American military's elite units. That's going to require an assault. Tally SOP is to blow an opening with a VBIED and rush in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would expect they already have the airport zeroed in with mortars and heavier stuff, and could shut down the airport at will.
A week ago I would have argued that the Taliban has too much to lose to try that, and were going to play in 1975 Saigon style and just wave as we leave.

Now, who the hell knows.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 1:05:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Should have been this--

Link Posted: 8/25/2021 1:05:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Do you all really think that if the airport turned into a stack of US bodies and destroyed planes that we would just turn tail and run?  Even the most ardent lib would be calling for blood.  I highly doubt that it would happen anyway.  It is not in the TB favor to cause us discomfort while we are leaving.  Nothing good would come of it for them.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 1:11:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would think they could shut down the runway and trap everyone while also reducing the force at the airport with arty and then go in to finish what remains.

Normally I expect this wouldn't work due to our air support, but I don't think we can provide that type of air support here.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 1:12:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Letting Taliban set our immigration policy seems like a great plan to me.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 1:19:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Do you all really think that if the airport turned into a stack of US bodies and destroyed planes that we would just turn tail and run?  Even the most ardent lib would be calling for blood.  I highly doubt that it would happen anyway.  It is not in the TB favor to cause us discomfort while we are leaving.  Nothing good would come of it for them.
View Quote

What would Biden do? When has he shown competence?

Would our allies or Afghans sign up to fight with us now?

Who would send their boys to serve in the Biden military? He just sent 5,800 of our troops into an airhead at the Taliban's mercy. Not to mention his domestic war on America.

It seems to me a retake of A'stan would involve large forces going after key airfields. Not sure we are serious enough of a country for that anymore.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 1:36:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I would think they could shut down the runway and trap everyone while also reducing the force at the airport with arty and then go in to finish what remains.

Normally I expect this wouldn't work due to our air support, but I don't think we can provide that type of air support here.
View Quote
"Grabbing the belt" means you effectively negate air/arty due to fear of fratricide. Assault has to factor into the fight from their perspective.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 1:37:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This is the general I thought went to Bastion when Helmand fell.

That's him on the left before going out on a clearing operation.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E8JTKF_XsAUePe1?format=jpg&name=medium

The bold part is surreal, as we tracked AC-130s and B52s overhead Lashkar Gah here in this thread(page 6). Apparently they did not go weapons free.

View Quote

Poor bastard.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 1:52:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

this reinforces my earlier thought that the Taliban is using different rules for the US vs other countries.  There's no way Trudeau would stay if he thought shit would go sideways for Canadian forces.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's interesting that Trudeau is saying that Canadian troops will stay past Aug 31.

this reinforces my earlier thought that the Taliban is using different rules for the US vs other countries.  There's no way Trudeau would stay if he thought shit would go sideways for Canadian forces.  

I get the feeling we are staying as well
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 1:53:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wonder what GD will do when TB let us leave and turn into a quasi country on the world stage.

I'm guessing still waiting for the bloodbath?
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 1:56:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
It depends, if they are working with China...What better time to pull some shit (invade Taiwan) than when the cream of the entire western world's trigger pullers are fighting for their lives on a shelled out airfield in Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 1:59:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL.

Perhaps the blood of white Trump voters?

I mean, do you really believe this? That there is some deep well spring of patriotism in the Left?
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 2:01:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It depends, if they are working with China...What better time to pull some shit (invade Taiwan) than when the cream of the entire western world's trigger pullers are fighting for their lives on a shelled out airfield in Afghanistan.
View Quote

Add to that a significant chunk of strategic airlift capacity being potentially on the ground there or somewhere where they would not be readily available.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 2:15:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Any idea who we flew out of Gitmo yesterday?
View Quote
Probably everyone.

Seriously.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 2:22:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

And what do you think the US response under this incompetent administration would be?
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 2:41:03 PM EDT
[#22]
15:03:29Z 25-08-2021 UTC AES:477FF1 GES:C1 2 .80001A - #MDFTX/ID80001A,BARTK02,
ZZZ123456789/MR1,/FXHAVE U EXPERIENCED ANY LOSS OF COMMS JAMMING IN THE AREA ARO
UND OAKB60CB

Pilots reporting loss of comms around Kabul. I'm guessing any jamming is actually from the US troops there in response to the suicide bomb threat.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 2:55:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Border crossing into Pakistan
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 2:56:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 2:58:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I wonder what GD will do when TB let us leave and turn into a quasi country on the world stage.

View Quote

With thousands of Americans left behind, we will enter the hostage stage.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 3:01:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
"Grabbing the belt" means you effectively negate air/arty due to fear of fratricide. Assault has to factor into the fight from their perspective.
View Quote

We are not going to target Kabul and its civilians with our airpower. They don't need to "grab the belt".

Link Posted: 8/25/2021 3:02:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

How will they get evacuation? Also I understand the number was ~8,000 remaining.

The people who fear the American Taliban sure seem to trust the real deal.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 3:09:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

How will they get evacuation? Also I understand the number was ~8,000 remaining.

The people who fear the American Taliban sure seem to trust the real deal.
View Quote

It’s been said previously in this thread that we can go get them via rotary wing or vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 3:09:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

"likely lower"

lol

they have no fucking clue how many are left

Link Posted: 8/25/2021 3:12:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

"likely lower"

lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

"likely lower"

lol

Nope. He also blamed the remaining people if they get left behind.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 3:16:51 PM EDT
[#31]
It seems strange that there would still be people who haven’t contacted State about leaving yet.

—-

The US secretary of state, Antony Blinken, said the state department believes there were roughly 6,000 Americans in Afghanistan on 14 August, before the Taliban took control of Kabul.

Since then, about 4,500 Americans had been evacuated, and another 500 US citizens were in contact with the state department about leaving the country.

That leaves about 1,000 Americans who may still be in Afghanistan and are not in contact with the US government. Blinken said the state department is “aggressively” reaching out to those people multiple times a day and in multiple different ways.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 3:21:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It’s been said previously in this thread that we can go get them via rotary wing or vehicle.
View Quote

LOL, how would that work?
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 3:22:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

LOL, how would that work?
View Quote

Maybe the same way they did it before?
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 3:23:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Maybe the same way they did it before?
View Quote

How? We are leaving now, you expect to drive in or fly in from Pakistan?
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 3:24:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

LOL.

I mean, do you really believe this? That there is some deep well spring of patriotism in the Left?
View Quote

I would think that even libs would not want to be slapped so hard.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 3:25:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

How? We are leaving now, you expect to drive in or fly in from Pakistan?
View Quote

I don't understand the question. I thought you were referring to getting the Americans currently outside Kabul to the airport.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 3:33:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I don't understand the question. I thought you were referring to getting the Americans currently outside Kabul to the airport.
View Quote

We are not getting more than a handful to the airport at this point. We are packing up and leaving. With most of the remaining being left behind.

Link Posted: 8/25/2021 3:53:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

We are not going to target Kabul and its civilians with our airpower. They don't need to "grab the belt".

View Quote
Read what I was replying to.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 4:03:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, I don't know what you're saying...I guess thank our lucky stars.

I think there is a lot of hope in the idea of the IEA becoming Dubai, if that's what you're intimating.

That might be even worse, as there will still be lots of ungoverned and semi-governed areas to which all sorts of Islamist shitbags will happily gravitate.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 4:04:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I would think that even libs would not want to be slapped so hard.
View Quote

They don't care.

They know exactly who their enemies are, and it isn't the Taliban.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 4:07:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
So now DoS and DoD are sailing their own huge bureaucracies in different directions with no guidance from the boss since there is no way the SECDEF or SECSTATE is going to get orders from WH staff interns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
So now DoS and DoD are sailing their own huge bureaucracies in different directions with no guidance from the boss since there is no way the SECDEF or SECSTATE is going to get orders from WH staff interns.

What, you wouldn't trust White House Interns?

Attachment Attached File

Your analysis actually makes a lot of sense.

Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.

On the contrary. There is a deep well of contempt for this country in the minds of far too many.

This is no longer the America it was even just a decade ago.

Fundamental Transformation? We're seeing it happen.

Link Posted: 8/25/2021 4:07:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See?  Just think, some of us thought the Biden wasn't "America First" enough to be our president...
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 4:12:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Surreal. Southern Border - here I come !

Mexico welcomes arrival of its 1st group of Afghan refugees

Mexico accepted its first group of refugees from Afghanistan on Tuesday as five women and one man arrived in Mexico City.

They were welcomed by Foreign Relations Secretary Marcelo Ebrard, who told the group, “Welcome to your home.”

The young women, who had to travel through six countries to reach Mexico, have competed in robotics competitions. They fled Afghanistan after the Taliban took control of the country earlier this month. The Taliban have been hostile to women working or going to school after a certain age.

Ebrard said Mexico would grant them “whatever legal status they consider best.” That could include giving them asylum or refugee status.

https://www.lmtonline.com/news/article/Mexico-welcomes-arrival-of-its-1st-group-of-16409740.php#photo-21389954
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 4:13:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 4:16:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

https://s.hdnux.com/photos/01/21/46/12/21389954/3/ratio3x2_2300.jpg

Mexico accepted its first group of refugees from Afghanistan on Tuesday as five women and one man arrived in Mexico City.

They were welcomed by Foreign Relations Secretary Marcelo Ebrard, who told the group, “Welcome to your home.”

The young women, who had to travel through six countries to reach Mexico, have competed in robotics competitions. They fled Afghanistan after the Taliban took control of the country earlier this month. The Taliban have been hostile to women working or going to school after a certain age.

Ebrard said Mexico would grant them “whatever legal status they consider best.” That could include giving them asylum or refugee status.

https://www.lmtonline.com/news/article/Mexico-welcomes-arrival-of-its-1st-group-of-16409740.php#photo-21389954
View Quote

Nice PR stunt of MX to pick up the AFG robotics team. Those girls are smart, I wish them well. And I worry what happens in Mexico City to people who don't speak the language.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 4:20:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

https://s.hdnux.com/photos/01/21/46/12/21389954/3/ratio3x2_2300.jpg

View Quote

So they escaped a country run by brutal religious fanatics and made it to a country run by brutal drug cartels.

Good luck, ladies.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 4:23:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

MOP is a penetrator weapon for going after the underground hidey holes.  However, it does leave an enormous crater after blowing the crap out of whatever is in the way on the surface.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

MOP is a penetrator weapon for going after the underground hidey holes.  However, it does leave an enormous crater after blowing the crap out of whatever is in the way on the surface.

I know, I got no problem with that, the post I replied to had a political cartoon of someone mopping up AFG.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 5:12:20 PM EDT
[#49]
I cannot stand the people claiming this is a great success, since we've gotten 37k or 70k people out AFTER Kabul fell, and got none out after Saigon fell.  Or that we only got 7k out of Saigon (the helicopter only number) as opposed to 10 times that out of Afghanistan, and ignoring the ~119k that got out in total by boat/fixed wing/helo.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 5:15:26 PM EDT
[#50]
"I expect the Taliban will be somewhat strapped for money. Running a country like Afghanistan is expensive, in particular because the vast majority of the population lives below the poverty line. And so foreign aid had been paying... I believe upwards of 70% of the government budget. So that's going to dry up,"

ndeed, the Taliban has long been a major player in the world’s drug trade. An astonishing 83% of the global opium production – a virtual monopoly – was estimated to come from Afghanistan between 2015 and 2020, according to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC).

Furthermore, the U.N. Security Council estimated that the Taliban’s annual combined revenues are as much as $1.6 billion a year, according a report this past June. Roughly $460 million of those revenues are said to come from taxes on the sale of heroin moving throughout Taliban territories alone.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/taliban-finances-come-under-spotlight
Page / 104
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top