Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 31
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 2:30:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I am really looking forward to Starship, Neutron and heck, even Relativity Space's reusable and partly reusable rockets going into service.

Rocket Lab's Reusable Neutron Rocket Animation

As a species. We need flight ready hardware, not political fuck-fuck games.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 3:00:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The ratuonal way to view and judge SLS, Orion, Gateway, etc is all through this lens:

What is simultaneously the cheapest, least risky*, and easiest way to milk as much money as possible for as long as possible?

*Risk being perceived as anything different than what's already been flown.

SLS needed a destination, since it couldn't go to the Moon. Enter LOP-G. LOP-G was nice simple pork from the same prime contractors as always. Everyone stays happy. It's the exact same story as STS and the ISS: to perpetuate the self-licking ice cream cone, not to boldly go anywhere new at all.

Many years ago I ran across a highly detailed financial analysis somewhere on an old AngelFire or Yahoo page, that laid out a truly impressive analysis of space exploration funding. Essentially, the "smart move", if ones total decision making was bounded by funding levels and not politics, was to stop all spaceflight for a period of a few years, maybe a decade. Dedicate *all* funding to maximizing launch efficiency and bringing down the cost to orbit. Instead of a few tens of millions here and there for prototype launch systems that never get to be trialed, pour all the billions you have into a Manhattan Project of launch tech. *Then* once you have a mature and inexpensive method to orbit, start launching the missions you actually want to do.
View Quote

Apparently some electric car yahoo read the same article…
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 3:40:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The ratuonal way to view and judge SLS, Orion, Gateway, etc is all through this lens:

What is simultaneously the cheapest, least risky*, and easiest way to milk as much money as possible for as long as possible?

SLS needed a destination, since it couldn't go to the Moon. Enter LOP-G. LOP-G was nice simple pork from the same prime contractors as always. Everyone stays happy. It's the exact same story as STS and the ISS: to perpetuate the self-licking ice cream cone, not to boldly go anywhere new at all.

Many years ago I ran across a highly detailed financial analysis somewhere on an old AngelFire or Yahoo page, that laid out a truly impressive analysis of space exploration funding. Essentially, the "smart move", if ones total decision making was bounded by funding levels and not politics, was to stop all spaceflight for a period of a few years, maybe a decade. Dedicate *all* funding to maximizing launch efficiency and bringing down the cost to orbit. Instead of a few tens of millions here and there for prototype launch systems that never get to be trialed, pour all the billions you have into a Manhattan Project of launch tech. *Then* once you have a mature and inexpensive method to orbit, start launching the missions you actually want to do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look y'all fuckers. I'll will you a story.

GATEWAY or LOPG:
In the before before times. Before spacex was in the process of taking over NASA had issues with consistent programs or funding.

They were working on SLS/Orion but has no where to go. Presidents shifted priorities every 4-8 years from moon to mars to an asteroid. All very different missions. Budgets were tight. It was legitimately looking like NASA would never get the consistency to get anything done outside LEO ever again.

Enter NASA's Brain .
""We are going to have a ship and a BFR . No money/time for a lander .no money/time for a bigger ship for mars and no mars lander either . Hmmmmmmmmmm ..I got it!! .space station around the moon!

Other nasa dude: "what that's fucking worthless and wouldn't help a lunar lander or mission at all?!"

First nasa dude:
"No listen fucker, build a small station with a small propulsion system around the moon! Tell congress and the people it will help (it won't help shit) but it gives us a cheapish do-able mission. One we get it out there it will be a funding anchor liability like the ISS.

IF we get astronauts to the moon gateway all of the USA will say ok cool when do they land when watching it on tv. NASA says never because we never got funding for a lander. All of congress goes well fuck we have to have a lander duh doi! Also we can theoretically use gateway as the habitat we throw to mars for the journey if we build it out more"

The idea of gateway is a funding anchor and busy work for beyond Leo human missions. We are fast approaching with spacex a world where hundreds of tons of cargo can be dropped on the moon for relatively nothing. So the gateway doesn't make much since. It doesn't help Artemis AT ALL but it gives them an excuse for a mission if no lander is available. It give international partners something to make(modules).

But NASA in 2011-2017 was a bleak place and the gateway was the smartest option they could make. It was a funding anchor they could launch to the moon for shit they knew how to do (modular stations).

Robert zubrin right fully calls it a tollbooth because it literally hurts mission and will be a funding anchor around NASA's neck in the future. Where NASA will be like fuck gateway let it die in the future but congress will say NO you wanted it no your money has to go to that. So gateway might just suck up our moon base money in the future.
Finally, something that could make "sense".

Repeating that SLS can't also do moon landings due to insufficient TLI tonnage does not explain Gateway, it only justifies HLS. I don't know why others kept saying that.

But gateway is easy to build using old space. So NASA continuing with inadequate Artemis meant gateway was the only place it could go. SpaceX appears and can produce HLS making gateway superfluous. NASA doesn't want to cancel gateway because in the future it could have a purpose.

Starship is huge. It's way bigger than needed for HLS. It had a completely different mission. But by launching 4 tankers, it can be sent to the moon with enough fuel to serve as a moon orbit to moon, moon habitat, and back to moon orbit vehicle. In the future, it can be refueled.  A smaller HLS than starship would probably be more optimal. Time to build that later.

We already know how to get cheap TONS of material to the moon or mars. No scientific issue.

you don’t get cheaper by “taking a break and focusing on getting cheaper”

You run a fucking elimination tournament fixed cost contract SHLV bids. Take 15 bids. Ala Crew dragon.

Cut down to 4 contractors. 2 years later cut down to the best 3. And tell the remaining three that only two will ever get a launch contract.

You will basically Make a new spacex out of (Rocketlab, Firefly, BO, Etc.)

Illogically, It will be cheaper and a far better system.

It’s also something that would NEVER get through congress because why would they give NASA money they can’t guarantee would come back to their district?.

Link Posted: 9/5/2022 1:26:43 PM EDT
[#4]
THE ANGRY ASTRONAUT!

Artemis is going!! (Back to the VAB and maybe the NASA scrapheap!)
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 1:52:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Everyone is getting angry now.

I used to love NASA launches but I was like an abused spouse. I didn’t accept how incompetent they really were and how archaic the process was until I saw SpaceX swap engines on the stand, do full wet rehearsals on the stand and test fire as much as needed, yet again on the stand. All for pennies on the dollar compared to NASA.

Just park SLS, it is 1980s tech and pork barrel funded.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 2:34:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Everyone is getting angry now.

I used to love NASA launches but I was like an abused spouse. I didn’t accept how incompetent they really were and how archaic the process was until I saw SpaceX swap engines on the stand, do full wet rehearsals on the stand and test fire as much as needed, yet again on the stand. All for pennies on the dollar compared to NASA.

Just park SLS, it is 1980s tech and pork barrel funded.
View Quote

You may get your wish.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/02/so-long-senator-shelby-key-architect-of-sls-rocket-wont-seek-reelection/
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I like how all news is like

“What! A SCRUB?!?! I just learned about Artemis 45 minutes ago and I already think it’s a complete embarrassment that it didn’t launch on its first attempt! Oh how America has fallen!!”

Bros. Scrubs happen. You heart is in the right place. SLS is an embarrassment but the scrub isn’t the issue here.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 4:11:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 4:21:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
H2 leaks have been common since STS days.  Sample news article

Why they haven't designed a superior connection, is a question that really needs answered.
View Quote

Hydrogen is the smallest and lightest element in the universe. Handling it in liquid form and trying to keep it contained is always going to be a challenge no matter how much tech you have.

I mean just look at what liquid helium can do.

Certain laws of physics start to get a little weird when you get to those temperatures.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 4:22:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
but the scrub isn't the issue here.
View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 5:11:51 PM EDT
[#11]
NASA's Baffling Engine Problem

NASA''s Baffling Engine Problem
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 5:21:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I always thought of something like glass as a solid. It is crazy to me that elements like hydrogen and helium can pass right through it.

Link Posted: 9/5/2022 5:27:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Hydrogen is the smallest and lightest element in the universe. Handling it in liquid form and trying to keep it contained is always going to be a challenge no matter how much tech you have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z6UJbwxBZI

Certain laws of physics start to get a little weird when you get to those temperatures.
View Quote

And Elon’s crew uses liquids helium to super cool their fuel for more density. It’s a culture issue, and SpaceX is making them look like chumps.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 7:53:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
NASA's Baffling Engine Problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbvQBwnppQo
View Quote

I took this picture years ago at UH

You can see the baffles in this national treasure.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 7:58:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
World's Largest Solid Rocket Booster Static Fired for SLS and Artemis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Ef1PcPKjk
View Quote

Just adding segments?

Boring...

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

We already know how to get cheap TONS of material to the moon or mars. No scientific issue.

You run a fucking elimination tournament fixed cost contract SHLV bids. Take 15 bids. Ala Crew dragon.

Cut down to 4 contractors. 2 years later cut down to the best 3. And tell the remaining three that only two will ever get a launch contract.

It’s also something that would NEVER get through congress because why would they give NASA money they can’t guarantee would come back to their district?.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GATEWAY or LOPG:
In the before before times. Before spacex was in the process of taking over NASA had issues with consistent programs or funding.

They were working on SLS/Orion but has no where to go. Presidents shifted priorities every 4-8 years from moon to mars to an asteroid. All very different missions. Budgets were tight. It was legitimately looking like NASA would never get the consistency to get anything done outside LEO ever again.

Enter NASA's Brain .
""We are going to have a ship and a BFR . No money/time for a lander .no money/time for a bigger ship for mars and no mars lander either . Hmmmmmmmmmm ..I got it!! .space station around the moon!

Other nasa dude: "what that's fucking worthless and wouldn't help a lunar lander or mission at all?!"

First nasa dude:
"No listen fucker, build a small station with a small propulsion system around the moon! Tell congress and the people it will help (it won't help shit) but it gives us a cheapish do-able mission. One we get it out there it will be a funding anchor liability like the ISS.

IF we get astronauts to the moon gateway all of the USA will say ok cool when do they land when watching it on tv. NASA says never because we never got funding for a lander. All of congress goes well fuck we have to have a lander duh doi! Also we can theoretically use gateway as the habitat we throw to mars for the journey if we build it out more"

The idea of gateway is a funding anchor and busy work for beyond Leo human missions. We are fast approaching with spacex a world where hundreds of tons of cargo can be dropped on the moon for relatively nothing. So the gateway doesn't make much since. It doesn't help Artemis AT ALL but it gives them an excuse for a mission if no lander is available. It give international partners something to make(modules).

But NASA in 2011-2017 was a bleak place and the gateway was the smartest option they could make. It was a funding anchor they could launch to the moon for shit they knew how to do (modular stations).

Robert zubrin right fully calls it a tollbooth because it literally hurts mission and will be a funding anchor around NASA's neck in the future. Where NASA will be like fuck gateway let it die in the future but congress will say NO you wanted it no your money has to go to that. So gateway might just suck up our moon base money in the future.

Repeating that SLS can't also do moon landings due to insufficient TLI tonnage does not explain Gateway, it only justifies HLS. I don't know why others kept saying that.

But gateway is easy to build using old space. So NASA continuing with inadequate Artemis meant gateway was the only place it could go. SpaceX appears and can produce HLS making gateway superfluous. NASA doesn't want to cancel gateway because in the future it could have a purpose.

Starship is huge. It's way bigger than needed for HLS. It had a completely different mission. But by launching 4 tankers, it can be sent to the moon with enough fuel to serve as a moon orbit to moon, moon habitat, and back to moon orbit vehicle. In the future, it can be refueled.  A smaller HLS than starship would probably be more optimal. Time to build that later.

They already did that, the result was laughable.

Attachment Attached File

vs
Attachment Attached File

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 8:12:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Just adding segments?

Boring...

Kharn
View Quote

For some reason, I thought they were of larger diameter as well but that may not be the case.

Many don't realize the existence of one of the scariest SRB failure modes: if a large enough chunk of unburnt propellant breaks off and clogs the nozzle, game over.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 12:22:37 AM EDT
[#18]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GATEWAY or LOPG:

Enter NASA's Brain .

First nasa dude:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/195/4178a_jpg-2515811.JPG
vs
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/195/Starship-SpaceX-Moon-vs-Moon-1-c_jpg-2515815.JPG

Kharn

How is it laughable? It’s most likely going to be the best dollar to hardware value ratio ever.

Same as commercial cargo and commercial crew before it.

We just need to make sure there are two winners because spacex is going to win everyone now if there is only one winner.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 6:05:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Simple explanation for gateway at the 3 minute mark with visual for the typical GD'r...https://youtu.be/_T8cn2J13-4

I haven't been hear long enough to learn how to Imbed.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 8:28:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Simple explanation for gateway at the 3 minute mark with visual for the typical GD'r...https://youtu.be/_T8cn2J13-4

View Quote

How We Are Going to the Moon - 4K
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 9:46:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Musk's Reaction & Genius solution to NASA's SLS leak failure- The real reasons SpaceX uses new fuel

Musk''s Reaction & Genius solution to NASA''s SLS leak failure-The real reasons SpaceX uses new fuel!
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 10:32:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up_zps5c0357b9_GIF-103.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T8cn2J13-4

This video is in the OP.

I’ve also explained it!!!!

Gateway is/was plausible make work for SLS/Orion to have a place to “go to”.  It would be a funding anchor around the moon and once there all of the world would be like “what you aren’t going down to the surface!?” So NASA could then get real funding for a lander.

But fixed competitive bids (and spacex) have been doing some capitalist black magic and all of a sudden a lander became something plausible to get without a serious act of congress (even though HLS is literally an act of congress lol).

So the gateway seems superfluous but it made sense to nasa in like 2014 when they new every president could change his mind on what nasa should be doing. So they need an anchor that was affordable that they knew how to make that they could ask international partners to help with. A lunar ISS anchor they could chuck around the moon that they’d be obligated to visit and upkeep.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 12:19:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Apollo 11 Saturn V Launch Slow Motion 16mm Film
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 5:01:00 PM EDT
[#25]
NASA SLS Rocket Engine Test-Fired in Mississippi

Powerful NASA SLS Rocket Engine Test-Fired in Mississippi
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 6:52:08 PM EDT
[#26]

TSM(U) = Tail Service Mast Umbilicals
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 9:10:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

How is it laughable? It’s most likely going to be the best dollar to hardware value ratio ever.

We just need to make sure there are two winners because spacex is going to win everyone now if there is only one winner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GATEWAY or LOPG:

Enter NASA's Brain .

First nasa dude:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/195/4178a_jpg-2515811.JPG
vs
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/195/Starship-SpaceX-Moon-vs-Moon-1-c_jpg-2515815.JPG

Kharn

You missed my point. I was mocking the two Old Space teet-suckers who missed the memo that they were supposed to change their business model. I should have included a picture of Blue Origin's lawyers dropping off their contract protest too.

The "liferaft for Starship" competition should allow a firewalled SpaceX team who has never worked with Starship to compete so everyone could watch the "perform or die" private company mentality come out on top again.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 10:24:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FcAaiXIWYAE4wgf?format=jpg&name=large

TSM(U) = Tail Service Mast Umbilicals
View Quote

That pic is classic, Chokey, a bunch of guys standing there with their hands on their hips (at least not in their pockets) staring at a problem hoping the solution presents itself.

It reminds me of guys working on fixing potholes in California. 6+ guys watching overseeing things, one or two actually doing something. One might be vacuuming up concrete or asphalt dust that comes off of the saw.

Link Posted: 9/6/2022 10:48:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 9:10:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That pic is classic, Chokey, a bunch of guys standing there with their hands on their hips (at least not in their pockets) staring at a problem hoping the solution presents itself.

It reminds me of guys working on fixing potholes in California. 6+ guys watching overseeing things, one or two actually doing something. One might be vacuuming up concrete or asphalt dust that comes off of the saw.

View Quote
That's a single pic. An instant video in time. No sound.

You have no idea what is going on in that pic. Your statement is an ass fact.

There is a guy standing in front of them. Two guys actually. Those two are facing the rest. Four guys are facing the one on the left and two guys are facing the one on the right. They appear to be gathered around in an assembly. Maybe they are going over the plan of action. Maybe they are being reminded of specific safety procedures and dangers when working on a rocket containg cryogenic liquid hydrogen and oxygen. Maybe they are discussing what they just found out.

I really don't like Artemis. I think it's a static throw back and has no future.

I think SpaceX quickly figured hydrogen is an impractical fuel for core engine use, same as carbon fiber was for booster construction.

But that doesn't mean stupid, ass facts get a free shot at guys working on a leaking cryogenic bomb.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 10:18:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That's a single pic. An instant video in time. No sound.

You have no idea what is going on in that pic. Your statement is an ass fact.

There is a guy standing in front of them. Two guys actually. Those two are facing the rest. Four guys are facing the one on the left and two guys are facing the one on the right. They appear to be gathered around in an assembly. Maybe they are going over the plan of action. Maybe they are being reminded of specific safety procedures and dangers when working on a rocket containg cryogenic liquid hydrogen and oxygen. Maybe they are discussing what they just found out.

I really don't like Artemis. I think it's a static throw back and has no future.

I think SpaceX quickly figured hydrogen is an impractical fuel for core engine use, same as carbon fiber was for booster construction.

But that doesn't mean stupid, ass facts get a free shot at guys working on a leaking cryogenic bomb.
View Quote

My mistake. I got caught up in the moment.

Link Posted: 9/8/2022 10:09:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Musk's Reaction & Genius solution to NASA's SLS leak failure- The real reasons SpaceX uses new fuel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7zFh6qHDfc
View Quote

So Lori Garver was the only non retarded person out there
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 10:12:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
NASA SLS Rocket Engine Test-Fired in Mississippi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaHHCUUI55E
View Quote

If you think about it, if you are relying on Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama to provide you with mission critical space stuff, you are gonna have issues
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 11:43:20 AM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 9/8/2022 11:47:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 12:29:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why they haven't designed a superior connection, is a question that really needs answered.

Which is why I always find it interesting that certain groups tout hydrogen as an alternative fuel for vehicles. I understand Honda and Toyota, especially, have dumped a ton of money into hydrogen but they aren't getting traction with it that I can tell.

I guess they worked out a way around the storage / tanks / fuel lines but no one cares as EV's are the choice of big government.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 12:37:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Which is why I always find it interesting that certain groups tout hydrogen as an alternative fuel for vehicles. I understand Honda and Toyota, especially, have dumped a ton of money into hydrogen but they aren't getting traction with it that I can tell.

I guess they worked out a way around the storage / tanks / fuel lines but no one cares as EV's are the choice of big government.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CNG actually seems like a better alternative for vehicles.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 12:41:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Clearly it can be contained and handled.

But containing it and handling it on a civilizational scale? It's one thing if the people manning the infrastructure are employees of Boeing, NASA or SpaceX. When it's Billy Bob's gas station out in the boonies. There might be issues maintaining 10 degrees above absolute zero there.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 12:55:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Has it been confirmed that it was in fact human error which over-pressured a line/valve, which resulted in the leak (presumably because of damage)?

I've heard that several times, but is that the official explanation at this point, or are people just guessing?

View Quote

That's what I've heard 2nd hand. Some procedure apparently wasn't carried out properly causing a seal to fail.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 3:33:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 6:25:04 PM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 9/9/2022 7:31:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FcPrIGzWIAEL6_j?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
View Quote

SpaceX would have one dude doing a similar procedure in a company polo and another holding the iPhone filming for the documentary.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 7:31:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FcPrIGzWIAEL6_j?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
View Quote

SpaceX would have done that in blue jeans, T-shirts and ball caps standing on a rickety cherry picker
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#45]
SpaceX  " Hey Jimmy, hit that with the flex seal. "
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 7:54:38 PM EDT
[#46]
NASA should just contract out all the space stuff to SpaceX.

So they can still do their muslim out reach and crt training.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 12:13:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 12:17:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 1:51:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good to hear.

Fueling test and if that works out?
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 6:13:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 31
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top