Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 9:31:36 AM EDT
[#1]
How have I never heard of this.  Will have to check out the original, based on this thread.

Back under my rock for now...
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 9:33:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Please don’t fuck this up
View Quote

Doomed before it started? I just don't see John Cho pulling off Spike.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 9:35:13 AM EDT
[#3]
FPNI but also this could be badass!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 9:36:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like I need to watch Cowboy Bebop
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 9:50:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

idk I'll probably watch it cause most shit on netflix sucks anyway
View Quote

So, a Korean, black guy and a Mexican walk into a bar?

(I'm another anime virgin so guess I'll have to watch the original, looks like fun gun play and M79s)
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 10:14:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Listen, I’m not really a fan of anime, but when it’s good, it’s good. If it’s good, then it doesn’t need a live action, big-budget, western adaptation.

Cowboy Bebop was great on its own merits and doesn’t need to be legitimized.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 10:15:19 AM EDT
[#7]
It’s going to be a shit show.

They couldn’t even find an actress with tits…
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 10:19:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
FPNI but also this could be badass!!!
View Quote

No, it can’t be.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 10:23:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

So, a Korean, black guy and a Mexican walk into a bar?

(I'm another anime virgin so guess I'll have to watch the original, looks like fun gun play and M79s)
View Quote

The series is incredible, it's very western in style, and it's not likely that anyone who didn't know would peg it as stereotypical anime (if they weren't an anime fan anyway).

If bounty hunters in space, evil space governments creating experimental supersoldiers, and crime syndicates sounds like an interesting hook, it has it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 10:26:27 AM EDT
[#10]
They will screw it up like they did the Witcher with bad casting and diversity/wokeness.  Oops, looks like they did already.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 10:28:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I really need to rewatch the anime. It's been a decade or two. Trigun too.

View Quote

Came in to see what the fuck a Cowboy Bepop was and now I see why I didn't know.

I will say Anime Faye's titties has me slightly aroused.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 11:08:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Came in to see what the fuck a Cowboy Bepop was and now I see why I didn't know.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really need to rewatch the anime. It's been a decade or two. Trigun too.

I have always felt even those who don't like anime can get into Cowboy Bebop. Watch this, it's from mid series and doesn't give away much and pretty much covers the feel of the series but if you like it then you may want to give the whole thing a try.

Link Posted: 8/24/2021 11:47:18 AM EDT
[#13]
For you guys who think Spike was miscast because they picked an Asian, the animation character design was based on this actor, in this role.

Attachment Attached File

"His appearance was primarily based on the main protagonist of Tantei Monogatari, Shunsaku Kudo, portrayed by famous Japanese actor Yusaku Matsuda."

"In Volume 3 of the manga, Cowboy Bebop, story by Hajime Yatate and illustrated by Yutaka Nanten, a trucker describes Spike as Asian using an outdated term."

https://cowboybebop.fandom.com/wiki/Spike_Spiegel#Appearance

Jett is ambiguous. I always assumed he was mixed-race, with some black in there.

Faye should be Chinese, she was born in Singapore. But she's obviously mixed-race as well, since her eyes are green.

In this future, the Earth is a wreck. People spread out into the solar system and there was a lot of genetic blending going on. So, griping about the race of the actors is pretty lame.

Bitch about their physicality not matching, sure. But most human beings aren't shaped like anime characters.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 11:49:23 AM EDT
[#14]
I am firmly in the "Please don't fuck this up" camp but don't have an over abundance of hope.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 11:52:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Woke
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 11:58:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Want to post the last scene of Spike...but there are people who have not seen it and don't want to spoil it for them.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 11:59:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

They probably made her non-binary
View All Quotes

Netflix ruins everything.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 12:00:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
For you guys who think Spike was miscast because they picked an Asian, the animation character design was based on this actor, in this role.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/74363/3cae1ad69939672dee7c08cafbaa6e52_jpg-2064290.JPG
"His appearance was primarily based on the main protagonist of Tantei Monogatari, Shunsaku Kudo, portrayed by famous Japanese actor Yusaku Matsuda."

"In Volume 3 of the manga, Cowboy Bebop, story by Hajime Yatate and illustrated by Yutaka Nanten, a trucker describes Spike as Asian using an outdated term."

Jett is ambiguous. I always assumed he was mixed-race, with some black in there.

Faye should be Chinese, she was born in Singapore. But she's obviously mixed-race as well, since her eyes are green.

In this future, the Earth is a wreck. People spread out into the solar system and there was a lot of genetic blending going on. So, griping about the race of the actors is pretty lame.

Bitch about their physicality not matching, sure. But most human beings aren't shaped like anime characters.
View Quote

I dont expect anyone to look like anime characters but the guy in your photo has that lanky look, as well as that really casual effortless look.

If you look at the movie poster from the animated version it looks like they are all in a police lineup/ booking photo and don't give a fuck. Where the main pic from the live action one has them walking ein with a purpose like they are going to save the world or some shit.

Individually all these little nitpicks are just that but taken as a whole you get the impression that the creators didn't even watch the animated series and simply don't get it.

The character races were probably the nitpick i care about the least and kind of fit anyway but again just adds to the general sense of this is just too far off the mark.

We'll see I'd be happy to be proven wrong and be regalled with exquisite acting and a truly artistic sense of cinematography but i have doubts.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 12:02:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Never underestimate Netflix’s ability to fuck up a perfectly good concept.

Remember season 2 of altered carbon?
View Quote

I really try not to.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 12:21:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I have always felt even those who don't like anime can get into Cowboy Bebop. Watch this, it's from mid series and doesn't give away much and pretty much covers the feel of the series but if you like it then you may want to give the whole thing a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Me2Fa0BWOc
View Quote

This, I don’t consider myself an anime fan at all, but I love Cowboy Bebop and consider it one of the best series (animated or live action) of all time. It’s just about perfect in its original format.

That scene is my favorite BTW.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 12:23:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Aren't they about 20 years too old?
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 12:38:56 PM EDT
[#22]
And just because.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 12:43:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Out of respect for the original masterpiece, I’ll probably watch this…but I won’t like it!
View Quote

Out of respect for the original I won't be watching it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 12:45:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Please don’t fuck this up
View Quote

Lol.

If by “don’t fuck up” you mean “make a woke adaptation based on the original” then yes. They won’t fuck it up.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Remember that episode with the clarinet player, who was addicted to drugs that gave him tits?

Yeah, that’s going to be a major thing in this series.
The series had a built-in tranny, I seriously would bet that was a selling by point to Netflix
View Quote

I was just thinking that.  His name was Gren, I think.  Though I thought the boobies were because of forced medical experiments in prison.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 6:12:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
never heard of this show before.  i'll probably check it out since I have no point of reference.
View Quote

If you liked Firefly, you'll probably enjoy it.

The tone of each episode can be quite different though. Some are very serious, and some are borderline ridiculous.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 6:14:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
They will screw it up like they did the Witcher with bad casting and diversity/wokeness.  Oops, looks like they did already.
View Quote

I thought The Witcher was pretty cool.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 6:29:04 PM EDT
[#28]
/a/ and /k/ join forces to confiscate and dispose of scripts, story boards, and other materials related to the heresy that Netflix has perpetrated against the Cowboy Bebop fandom, 2021.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 6:33:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Now do Evangelion.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 6:36:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Spike being Asian just seems... odd.  He doesn't look Asian at all in the anime.  They gonna make Vicious Asian too?  Or some other random minority?  I'll pass.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 6:36:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/74363/3cae1ad69939672dee7c08cafbaa6e52_jpg-2064290.JPG

View Quote

Looks like an awesome show.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 6:38:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Now do Evangelion.
View Quote

No.

Live action anime adaptations don’t work. The fact that they are cartoons allows the suspension of disbelief required for most of their stories to work.

Live action fucks that all up.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 6:41:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Cartoon Faye has a bigger rack
View Quote

Also carried a Glock 30. From the promo pics they fucked that up.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 6:43:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Now do Evangelion.
View Quote

Eva fans react to Netflix announcing live action Neon Genesis: Evangelion, colorized, 2022.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 6:45:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Odd.  I just skimmed through IMDB and couldn't find Edward.

Link Posted: 8/24/2021 6:46:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 6:48:57 PM EDT
[#37]
This looks like crap.  I'm a big fan of the series.

Link Posted: 8/24/2021 6:49:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Spike being Asian just seems... odd.  He doesn't look Asian at all in the anime.  They gonna make Vicious Asian too?  Or some other random minority?  I'll pass.
View Quote

What are you talking about? Spike and Vicious both work for a Chinese mafia group and Spike looks like Bruce Lee in all of his fight scenes. Spike and Jet almost always eat Chinese or Japanese food (when they have food) on the Bebop.

Chinese culture is clearly widespread on Mars and several other colonies.

I am of the opinion (like several others here) that most, if not all of the crew of the Bebop are mixed race due to the nature of the future they live in. The only character that may be strictly "white" is Ed but given her absurd name, she may be have a mixed ancestry too.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 6:49:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

No.

Live action anime adaptations don’t work. The fact that they are cartoons allows the suspension of disbelief required for most of their stories to work.

Live action fucks that all up.
View Quote

It's not even that.  Anytime there's an "adaption", they use it as an excuse to fuck with everything.  They fuck with the story.  The plot lines.  The character arcs.  The character persona.  The race.  The gender.  Anything they can fuck with, they fuck with.  So you end up with a fuck up.  Every producer/writer/director under the sun that gets an adaption thinks they're fucking Shakespear and has to rewrite the production in their own image, and it's always a disaster.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 6:52:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What are you talking about? Spike and Vicious both work for a Chinese mafia group and Spike looks like Bruce Lee in all of his fight scenes. Spike and Jet almost always eat Chinese or Japanese food (when they have food) on the Bebop.

I am of the opinion (like several others here) that most, if not all of the crew of the Bebop are mixed race due to the nature of the future they live in. The only character that may be strictly "white" is Ed but given her absurd name, she may be have a mixed ancestry too.
View Quote

Yes, because no white boy ever enjoyed Chinese or Japanese food.  And anime is full of fish out of water, random western or Asian transplants in settings they don't seem to fit in.  Look at Naruto, the blondest, whitest kid on the block in an ancient Japan-ish continent full of ninja.  He looks nothing like anyone else in the series save his father.  Gonna cast him as Korean too?  Get the fuck outta here.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 6:54:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Odd.  I just skimmed through IMDB and couldn't find Edward.

View Quote

Possibly written out. Much as Bebop will be a horrible live action, trying to cast a character that was even a little true to Ed's antics would be very annoying in live action.

They'd instead go for know it all kid genius who is always right instead of the nutty and zany weirdo that Ed was.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 7:01:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yes, because no white boy ever enjoyed Chinese or Japanese food.  And anime is full of fish out of water, random western or Asian transplants in settings they don't seem to fit in.  Look at Naruto, the blondest, whitest kid on the block in an ancient Japan-ish continent full of ninja.  He looks nothing like anyone else in the series save his father.  Gonna cast him as Korean too?  Get the fuck outta here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah plenty of blue, purple and pink haired school girls at Japanese schools in animes too. What race are you saying they should be? Hair color doesn't mean shit in anime, all Japanese have naturally black hair. Even they know that this makes for boring character design so they mix it up, even if the characters are Japanese.

Also, I didn't say I approved of the casting of Spike. I certainly can't say I thought of the guy as Korean and I don't care for that actor. I always figured Spike was of Jewish and Chinese or Japanese background.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 7:04:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yeah plenty of blue, purple and pink haired school girls at Japanese schools in animes too. What race are you saying they should be? Hair color doesn't mean shit in anime, all Japanese have naturally black hair. Even they know that this makes for boring character design so they mix it up, even if the characters are Japanese.

Also, I didn't say I approved of the casting of Spike. I certainly can't say I thought of the guy as Korean and I don't care for that actor. I always figured Spike was of Jewish and Chinese or Japanese background.
View Quote

He should be whatever race at least makes him look similar to the character in the Anime.  John Cho looks nothing like him.  Tall, wire thin, lanky ass mofo is probably gonna have to be a white boy.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 7:05:47 PM EDT
[#44]
They should have cast a guy who would look like spike, rather than just casting some Asian guy.  I don't recall really ever thinking of Spike as an Asian guy.  He doesn't look Asian in the show.  I could go with tall lanky mixed guy, but this dude just looks like a guy cosplaying as Spike, and not like, "Oh, that IS spike!"  Like for instance, Henry Cavill IS the Witcher, he was made for the roll.  They needed to cast someone who is the embodiment of Spike, and that is more than the outfit.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#45]
So where can I find the anime with English dub?
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 7:12:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

He should be whatever race at least makes him look similar to the character in the Anime.  John Cho looks nothing like him.  Tall, wire thin, lanky ass mofo is probably gonna have to be a white boy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I agree there. Though, someone posted a video of the guy Spike's design is based off of, so it looks like there are Japanese guys who have the look too.

I am going to guess that Netflix only cast Cho to have a "big name" headlining it. They didn't really care about anything but that and considering how "woke" they are, they'd never cast a white actor even if they could get a well known white actor.

Also, the fact that Edward is not in it makes me think that all of the humor will be gone and it will only focus on the serious story lines. This show is going to suck.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 7:16:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

As someone that’s actually half Asian, I don’t think any of the main characters of Cowboy Bebop look even half Asian. Maybe that’s an anime thing, making the characters look Caucasian. I don’t know, the only anime I watch are Bebop and GITS and most of the main characters in both look Caucasian to me.

Jet Black could be black, but I’d say he could be white or black, or mixed. I always felt he was white for some reason.

Either way, that dorky looking guy playing Spike is a shitty casting choice, and the live action Faye is no where near hot enough. Jet seems to be the best match, but way too dark complexion.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 7:17:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It's my favorite too, and I hope this helps, but they're not going to kill it.  It's still there in its original format whenever you want.  Just like those 2.5 good star wars movies.  And that one Highlander movie.  And that one Matrix movie.

Allegedly these aren't going to be remade episodes, but brand new ones.  Which at least keeps it away from the original stuff.  Though the only reason I would have tuned in was to watch Mushroom Samba or Pierrot Le Fou's ridiculous triple kick.

Probably can't resist the soundtrack if Yoko Kanno is in though.
View Quote
Pierrot Le Fou's episode was a trip especially with Pink Floyd's On the Run playing in it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 7:22:06 PM EDT
[#49]
My awareness of Cowboy Bebop consists of being able to remember hearing the words Cowboy Bebop.  

I don't actually want to know anything about it because spoilie.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 7:25:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

As someone that's half Asian, I don't think any of the main characters of Cowboy Bebop look even half Asian. Maybe that's an anime thing, making the characters look Caucasian. I don't know, the only anime I watch are Bebop and GITS and most of the main characters in both look Caucasian to me.

Jet Black could be black, but I'd say he could be white or black, or mixed. I always felt he was white for some reason.

Either way, that dorking looking guy playing Spike is a shitty casting choice, and the live action Faye is no where near hot enough. Jet seems to be the best match, but way too dark complexion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As someone that's half Asian, I don't think any of the main characters of Cowboy Bebop look even half Asian. Maybe that's an anime thing, making the characters look Caucasian. I don't know, the only anime I watch are Bebop and GITS and most of the main characters in both look Caucasian to me.

Jet Black could be black, but I'd say he could be white or black, or mixed. I always felt he was white for some reason.

Either way, that dorking looking guy playing Spike is a shitty casting choice, and the live action Faye is no where near hot enough. Jet seems to be the best match, but way too dark complexion.

Osamu Tezuka, the guy responsible for inventing the Japanese style originated the style with the idea of making the race of characters ambiguous. So, it is a given that the race of a character can be hard to tell just by their design in Japanese anime.

As a result, you kind of have to use context clues. For instance all of the main cast of GITS have Japanese names and work for a secret Japanese government agency. So you can assume that they are all supposed to be Japanese unless otherwise stated.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top