Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 23
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 2:08:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

True, but OJ had been retired for a while though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only two cases that come to light being this big in the nfl are Vick’s case and Hernandez’s case. Neither about DV but imho in the same scope.

The Ray Lewis thing was big when it happened.

Kobe’s rape suit was pretty big in the NBA.

Nothing trumps OJ though.

True, but OJ had been retired for a while though.

Vick came to mind b/c he's a QB and Hernandez b/c of recency bias but yeah lewis and kobe are up there.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 2:09:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Speaking of the Juice: if you haven’t seen the FX series The People vs OJ Simpson I highly recommend it.  It is amazing how good that show was considering you already know what’s going to happen.
View Quote

the 30 for 30 was very good, too. possibly one of the best ESPN aired.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 2:37:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Speaking of the Juice: if you haven’t seen the FX series The People vs OJ Simpson I highly recommend it.  It is amazing how good that show was considering you already know what’s going to happen.

My favorite 30 for 30 is The Four Falls of Buffalo.  Though, admittedly, who 2 of those 4 falls came against might have a little to do with that.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 9:25:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It won’t but thanks.  Dealt with a lot of their turds before.

https://cnsmaryland.org/interactives/Crime-In-NFL/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
National Felon League, not shocking at all.  

Funny how a lot of their bullshit against racism and the police started when they were getting lit up by the news for criminal behavior, drug use, and domestic abuse spiking.

The felony rate among NFL players is lower than that among almost any other occupation.

But don't let that change your opinion.

How about them Texans.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 9:42:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The felony rate among NFL players is lower than that among almost any other occupation.

View Quote

That is laughable. The NFL/teams are the only larger corporation that I know of that has classes, lectures, baby sitters, troubleshooters, mentors, investigators, lawyers and enough hush money fund to make things go away for their players. They literally do that 24/7/365. Take all that away and good luck.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:11:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That is laughable. The NFL/teams are the only larger corporation that I know of that has classes, lectures, baby sitters, troubleshooters, mentors, investigators, lawyers and enough hush money fund to make things go away for their players. They literally do that 24/7/365. Take all that away and good luck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They also have a free ride system where they pick up the phone and have a driver take them anywhere. That doesn't stop roughly a dozen or so DUIs every year.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:15:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They also have a free ride system where they pick up the phone and have a driver take them anywhere. That doesn't stop roughly a dozen or so DUIs every year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, the NFL does an excellent job reducing crimes committed by its players. This is not a bad thing.

Some guy from the Patriots stopped an old lady from getting raped recently.  

Don’t judge them all by the actions of the few.

I don’t want to be judged by the actions of the asshole that just shot up a supermarket.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:39:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes, the NFL does an excellent job reducing crimes committed by its players. This is not a bad thing.

Some guy from the Patriots stopped an old lady from getting raped recently.  

Don’t judge them all by the actions of the few.

I don’t want to be judged by the actions of the asshole that just shot up a supermarket.
View Quote

I don't think anybody says its a BAD thing, quite the opposite but lets be honest about those felony statistics with an asterisk or something.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:51:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most people wouldn't want to call an Uber if they had a car like this either.  It's easy to call an Uber when the alternative is driving your wife's Honda Odyssey to the club.

Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:19:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Pro Football Doc weighing in. Link

Some quotes I snipped out:

I make no opinion as to any guilt or innocence in the massage therapists vs. Deshaun Watson saga. My only comment is that medically, it is very strange for any professional athlete to have their deep tissue, Swedish, trigger point or sports massages performed by multiple different people on a rotating basis.

The NFL players that I have interacted with have wanted consistency in the care and maintenance of their bodies.

Even though an NFL team will have five or more taping tables going before a game or practice, players typically wait for "their" therapist to strap their ankles, no matter how long the line is.

Professional athletes find what works and stick with it. Sometimes this is just habit. Sometimes this is just comfort. Often the consistency and reliability are what helps get the best results. Certainly, some protocols may be tweaked, but it is rare to see a player bounce around from one person to another again and again.

I have never heard of a situation of rotating through 16 (or 24 or whatever number of massage therapists) in a year. To get the massage they want and trust, players often fly their masseuses to road games and put them up at the road team hotel to get their pregame ritual.

All I can say is that the merry-go-round of massage therapists is something that I have not witnessed during my two decades of experience in professional sports medicine.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 12:31:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Edit: Wrong damn thread. I need more coffee.

Double Edit: Might as well throw something in here.

"What do you think is the best-case scenario for Deshaun Watson, and what would be the absolute worst-case scenario?"

Clay Travis: The best-case scenario for Deshaun Watson is that all of these women are lying. There is almost a zero percent chance of that occurring, but if that were to occur, then those women should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law because women who are actual sexual assault victims are not believed because there is a small segment of the population that lies about incidents such as these.

For instance, Duke lacrosse That entire story was based on a women's lie. When someone is caught in a lie then there is a natural inclination to not believe people going forward. I don't think that's very likely.

I think the best-case scenario is he misses half of the season on an NFL suspension and has to pay millions of dollars to these women, and forever has his overall name tarred in its association with these allegations.

The worst-case scenario is Deshaun Watson goes to prison for sexual assault, and never ever plays football again for the rest of his life. I think that is in-play. I would hazard to try and associate percentages on it, but this is just a really difficult scenario to play out. I'm inclined to think that it's going to be hard for there not to be criminal charges at some point levied in this case just based on the sheer number of the people who are out there making allegations.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 1:13:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Question: what if the Texans had traded Watson a month ago for a ton of picks spread out over 3 years, the deal was finalized, and then all this happened?

Considering the various possible outcomes (brief suspension, long suspension, prison time, banned from the league, etc.) would the team have any recourse to get out of giving the Texans their picks for any of those outcomes or would they have to give the Texans the picks regardless?
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 1:20:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No idea, and I'm not going to speculate any further. Let's just remember that "evidence" is kinda important in American law, at least for now.
View Quote

A "pattern of behavior" is a type of evidence.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 1:22:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah.  That happens when the hometown cops don't charge you - because you are on the team.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 1:26:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yeah.  That happens when the hometown cops don't charge you - because you are on the team.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Surely you have evidence supporting that claim? What is the rate of felony commissions among NFL players compared to say, plumbers? Engineers? Doctors? Investment bankers? Politicians?
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 1:28:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Surely you have evidence supporting that claim? What is the rate of felony commissions among NFL players compared to say, plumbers? Engineers? Doctors? Investment bankers? Politicians?
View Quote

See my post above...
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 1:31:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Question: what if the Texans had traded Watson a month ago for a ton of picks spread out over 3 years, the deal was finalized, and then all this happened?

Considering the various possible outcomes (brief suspension, long suspension, prison time, banned from the league, etc.) would the team have any recourse to get out of giving the Texans their picks for any of those outcomes or would they have to give the Texans the picks regardless?
View Quote

I don't think there were any official trades a few months ago. AFAIK all the trades announced were agreed to but couldn't be made official until the new league year. IIRC, we discussed Watson's situation in the 2020 thread just prior to the new league year and 2021 thread. If so, the party trading for him could easily back out.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct.  The NFL isn't "nothing but felons" (or anything close to it) like some of the FNFL zealots like to repeatedly regurgitate, but it'd be disingenuous to pretend that all the advantages you mentioned don't play big a role in keeping the felony conviction rate down.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 1:41:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

See my post above...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See my post above...

I don't know about different states, but in ND DUIs aren't felonies. And if I'm not mistaken, in Wisconsin your first one is only a traffic ticket...
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 1:42:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I don't think there were any official trades a few months ago. AFAIK all the trades announced were agreed to but couldn't be made official until the new league year. IIRC, we discussed Watson's situation in the 2020 thread just prior to the new league year and 2021 thread. If so, the party trading for him could easily back out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But the Watson stuff didn't come out until late last week, right?   The new league year started before that.

But for the sake of the question let's just say the deal was finalized right before the allegations came out.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 2:00:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
But the Watson stuff didn't come out until late last week, right?   The new league year started before that.
View Quote

His first tweet, responding to the first accuser, was the day BEFORE the new league year.

So would all depend on whether a team decided to make the trade official the next day before the rest of the shit came out or not.

As for whether they would have any recourse? Only if they could prove the trading team was aware of the situation and did not inform them.

I'm waiting to see if we have this situation between the Fins and the Titans for the Isaiah Wilson release since it was now revealed he was arrested in January. Wondering if the Titans/Fins knew about that. Or if the Titans knew and didn't tell the Fins. They could potentially have some recourse there.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 2:08:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

His first tweet, responding to the first accuser, was the day BEFORE the new league year.

So would all depend on whether a team decided to make the trade official the next day before the rest of the shit came out or not.

As for whether they would have any recourse? Only if they could prove the trading team was aware of the situation and did not inform them.

I'm waiting to see if we have this situation between the Fins and the Titans for the Isaiah Wilson release since it was now revealed he was arrested in January. Wondering if the Titans/Fins knew about that. Or if the Titans knew and didn't tell the Fins. They could potentially have some recourse there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To what extent would they have to be aware?  That Watson was having consensual sexual contact with masseuses or that he was committing sexual assault against them?

The first one they might actually be able to prove.  The second one seems like it'd be hard to prove.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 2:14:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

To what extent would they have to be aware?  That Watson was having consensual sexual contact with masseuses or that he was committing sexual assault against them?

The first one they might actually be able to prove.  The second one seems like it'd be hard to prove.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be up to the league office arbitrator.

Edit: Principal of "good faith" during negotiation. There's some basis in the US contract laws that there must be an implied good faith in order for a negotiation to be fair. Arguing that the Texans were aware of pending allegations but did not reveal them in the trade discussion would be a violation of good faith.

NFL league office has right to arbitrate all contract/trade conflicts, IIRC.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 2:36:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I don't know about different states, but in ND DUIs aren't felonies. And if I'm not mistaken, in Wisconsin your first one is only a traffic ticket...
View Quote

I was explaining why you wanting to compare NFL felony rates to carpenters or any other profession is not exactly the same. Don't care about DUI's at all...
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 2:37:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

DUI's in WI are pathetic. Pretty much every week there is a news article about someone with double digit DUI convictions getting caught again.

When I worked on cars the amount of interlock devices was staggering, and those dumb fucks never told anyone and would get pissed when they had to come back to the shop because no one wanted to give their car a blow job just to drive it in the shop.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 2:42:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Correct.  The NFL isn't "nothing but felons" (or anything close to it) like some of the FNFL zealots like to repeatedly regurgitate, but it'd be disingenuous to pretend that all the advantages you mentioned don't play big a role in keeping the felony conviction rate down.
View Quote

Exactly, I'm not claiming anything other than the numbers are skewed (for reasons stated) so its hard to compare felony rates to any other normal profession.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 2:49:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Exactly, I'm not claiming anything other than the numbers are skewed (for reasons stated) so its hard to compare felony rates to any other normal profession.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course the situation has a lot to do with it.   I mean take 20-25 year olds that grew up with little to no money, give them millions of dollars, make them famous (or at least semi-famous), set them loose in a major city they recently moved to, and you're going to have issues regardless of what their profession is.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 3:20:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Edit: Wrong damn thread. I need more coffee.

Double Edit: Might as well throw something in here.

"What do you think is the best-case scenario for Deshaun Watson, and what would be the absolute worst-case scenario?"

Clay Travis: The best-case scenario for Deshaun Watson is that all of these women are lying. There is almost a zero percent chance of that occurring, but if that were to occur, then those women should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law because women who are actual sexual assault victims are not believed because there is a small segment of the population that lies about incidents such as these.

For instance, Duke lacrosse That entire story was based on a women's lie. When someone is caught in a lie then there is a natural inclination to not believe people going forward. I don't think that's very likely.

I think the best-case scenario is he misses half of the season on an NFL suspension and has to pay millions of dollars to these women, and forever has his overall name tarred in its association with these allegations.

The worst-case scenario is Deshaun Watson goes to prison for sexual assault, and never ever plays football again for the rest of his life. I think that is in-play. I would hazard to try and associate percentages on it, but this is just a really difficult scenario to play out. I'm inclined to think that it's going to be hard for there not to be criminal charges at some point levied in this case just based on the sheer number of the people who are out there making allegations.
View Quote

The lawyer representing the alleged victims is not some fly by night ambulance chaser.  He's successful and has, from what I've read, won large settlements in other cases.  

So, if all of these women are lying, then either this lawyer is an active participant in the conspiracy (which I think is extremely unlikely) or he's an idiot who does no investigation before filing a case (which I also think, given his previous success, unlikely).

While it's certainly possible there are among the accusers some women who might have agreed to willingly provide DW some extra favors in exchange for cash, and now have decided with a little change to the story they could be in a much larger payday, I doubt this is the case with all or even the majority of accusers.  

Look at what happened with Antonio Brown - he was placed on the Exempt list for accusations of similar behavior, although in his case I think it was 2 or 3 accusers and the conduct accused is not as severe as DW (IMO).  

I doubt DW plays much football this year.  Maybe he puts it behind him and avoids jail.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 5:01:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Apparently ESPN is out to get black people and protect white people because they've spent more time discussing a young top 10 black QB that's had 15+ sexual assault suits filed against him in the past week all while maintaining his innocence than they talked about some white no name practice squad player for the Seahawks who beat the shit out of his GF and was cut.

It must be true because I certainly can't see any difference in the public interest level of those two stories.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 5:12:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Apparently ESPN is out to get black people and protect white people because they've spent more time discussing a young top 10 black QB that's had 15+ sexual assault suits filed against him in the past week all while maintaining his innocence than they talked about some white no name practice squad player for the Seahawks who beat the shit out of his GF and was cut.

It must be true because I certainly can't see any difference in the public interest level of those two stories.
View Quote

Don't forget the no-name released practice squad player was arrested during the act and is now facing the criminal justice system.

Been seeing these Tweets for a few days. People are insane race baiters.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 5:14:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Don't forget the no-name released practice squad player was arrested during the act and is now facing the criminal justice system.

View Quote

Like this?

Was mad that crab legs got cut.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's a good thing Deshaun is a "real" black guy.  Not like that fake black RGIII.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 5:41:24 PM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like this?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/219476/Screenshot_20210325-161406_Chrome-1879636.jpg

Was mad that crab legs got cut.

We trash guys like Bayless and Smith a lot, but I have never seen any “journalist” or “analyst” with more “there is no way this motherfucker is serious” takes than Rob Parker.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 6:04:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe this is why Houston was unwilling to trade him?
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 6:38:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Link to a huge timeline and summary of everything: link
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 7:59:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

How about them Texans.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
National Felon League, not shocking at all.  

Funny how a lot of their bullshit against racism and the police started when they were getting lit up by the news for criminal behavior, drug use, and domestic abuse spiking.

How about them Texans.  

That’s why they suck at football.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 8:11:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

When it’s all just laid out like that... holy shit.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 8:13:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Could the Texans lose draft picks over this regarding COVID violations?
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 8:19:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Look, I've said several times in this thread and the NFL thread that it looks really bad for Watson. I'm just saying that we should slow down for a second and wait for proof before deciding that he's guilty. Which he probably is, by the way. But is it really too much to ask to wait for proof before deciding for sure?
View Quote

legally, he's innocent until proven guilty
My opinion is he's guilty.  It's also my opinion that OJ murder Nicole.
It's also my opinion that many of those ladies were just fine with the exchange of money for a handjob and some buttplay.  After the first lady filed suit, anyone who has ever been paid to "massage" Watson is going to be tempted to file suit as well.

I can have that opinion and express it, because I'm not in any way involved with his trial, nor do I know anyone who is.

Link Posted: 3/25/2021 9:29:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

He potentially went from $156,000,000.00 to $0.00 and jail time.  It sucks being a Houston sports fan.  Teams come here to die.
View Quote

Prison time, there are a few rapes in there, sounds like he might be getting his anus touched for free, but it isn't going to be a message therapist, its going to be Bubba.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 9:35:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Prison time, there are a few rapes in there, sounds like he might be getting his anus touched for free, but it isn't going to be a message therapist, its going to be Bubba.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He potentially went from $156,000,000.00 to $0.00 and jail time.  It sucks being a Houston sports fan.  Teams come here to die.

Link Posted: 3/26/2021 5:05:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Watson reportedly has a GF he has been dating since 2019.

I wonder if she knew Watson was hooking up with girls he saw on Instagram to get “massages” (consensual or otherwise).

Link Posted: 3/26/2021 8:00:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I'm waiting to see if we have this situation between the Fins and the Titans for the Isaiah Wilson release since it was now revealed he was arrested in January. Wondering if the Titans/Fins knew about that. Or if the Titans knew and didn't tell the Fins about that.
View Quote

I would my last $1 that the Titans/NFL knows about any arrest within hours, if not sooner.

I would venture to say outside of a team's home city, a police dept is more than happy to report the arrest via the media or calling the club.

I also note the Dolphins released Wilson within days of the trade. He also got arrested again, along with a female, for a traffic stop & weed was found. He has pissed away a multimillion career because of stupidity.

Of course the Titans were just as stupid for drafting him #1 w/o doing their due diligence. Or, if they did, they ignored it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 8:02:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

When I worked on cars the amount of interlock devices was staggering, and those dumb fucks never told anyone and would get pissed when they had to come back to the shop because no one wanted to give their car a blow job just to drive it in the shop.
View Quote

Would blowing up a balloon & feeding the device from the balloon work? Serious question.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 8:48:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

"A few weeks later, she was DM'ed on Instagram by two other NFL players, saying "Big D" had recommended her to them."

That's around the same time fellow Texan and Clemson alum (and friend of Watson) DeAndre Hopkins was traded to Arizona.

Hopkins also has a history of using his Instagram account inappropriately:
https://www.tmz.com/2013/11/13/deandre-hopkins-penis-video-hacked/
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 9:04:41 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm looking forward to the Texans reaction when Watson is on the exempt list (or suspended or just out of the NFL) AND the Texans have received zero draft picks due to no trade.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 9:13:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm looking forward to the Texans reaction when Watson is on the exempt list (or suspended or just out of the NFL) AND the Texans have received zero draft picks due to no trade.
View Quote

It would be nice if we heard from the Texan's at all or at least try and do some pre-emptive damage control.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 9:17:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
He might get his anus touched a lot for free pretty soon.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/26/2021 9:27:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It would be nice if we heard from the Texan's at all or at least try and do some pre-emptive damage control.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think they're a dysfunctional organization and to be honest, for most players the damage control would be to cut them.  

If this was a practice squad player or non-starter, the player would be gone.

Since it's a top 10 QB, they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.  But even given the choice among several not-great choices, I'm sure the Texans will pick the worst.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 9:41:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Local ATL radio stations/NFL fans have been screaming to bring him here for the Falcons.  Guess they want Vick 2.0 crises.
Page / 23
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top