Link Posted: 9/27/2012 6:32:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm pulling for the Browns after last weeks Ravens-Patriots debacle

While I appreciate the solidarity, I feel it's my duty to intervene, when a fellow arfcommer is obviously in need of counseling. I'm a hopeless addict (there is no future for me - I'm a lost cause), but I can keep you from following my wayward path.  

I'm here for you, brother. We're all in this together, and we can get through this. Tell me where Rothlesburger touched you.

I have been a Browns fan since 1967, some good years and a lot of bad years, God I need help

ETA Ben Rapistberger never touched me anywhere

Ben is 13 &1 against the Browns I think he fucked Browns fans and left them sleeping in the wet spot a time or two...

Not as bad as Elway did

Ernest Byner fucked you worse than Elway....
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 6:49:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Knew it was just a matter of time...

Get some more, boys!
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 6:49:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It's a miracle Weeden hasn't been picked off yet.

Yet.

Link Posted: 9/27/2012 6:50:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a miracle Weeden hasn't been picked off yet.

Yet.

Quoted:
Knew it was just a matter of time...

Get some more, boys!

Link Posted: 9/27/2012 8:18:27 PM EDT
[#5]
A lot closer than I expected/wanted, but a W's a W!
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 8:22:52 PM EDT
[#6]
For you fantasy football guys:

My "friend" and commish just tried to screw me

Fucking guy. We are going head to head this week and I was monitoring our scoring all night long. The only active player on his roster tonight was Ray Rice, with 9.6 points. I refresh the page after game ends and he shows 22 points. WTF? Go into matchup page and he used commish tool to add Anquan Boldin to his active WR spot after he was locked on the bench.

I am so fucking furious right now. Plus he tried to cover it up by commenting on a bunch of matchups (Yahoo league) to push the lineup change notification off of the home screen. I called the A-hole out on the matchup page so the whole league will see.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 8:24:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Fucking guy. We are going head to head this week and I was monitoring our scoring all night long. The only active player on his roster tonight was Ray Rice, with 9.6 points. I refresh the page after game ends and he shows 22 points. WTF? Go into matchup page and he used commish tool to add Anquan Boldin to his active WR spot after he was locked on the bench.

I am so fucking furious right now. Plus he tried to cover it up by commenting on a bunch of matchups (Yahoo league) to push the lineup change notification off of the home screen. I called the A-hole out on the matchup page so the whole league will see.

F that guy.

I beat my commish last weekend and he joked about using the commissioner perks to change the score, but I knew he wouldn't. He didn't.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 8:30:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Umm Texans?  NFL network is the first to air any significant amount of time towards them. Last year we played "x" team and won yet the losing team had all the highlights followed by, lost to the Texans. This year will hopefully be better and I am looking forward to the future. Cmon Rick!!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 8:56:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Had deja vu for a moment at that hail mary.

Link Posted: 9/27/2012 9:15:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Had deja vu for a moment at that hail mary.

LOL...me too.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 9:18:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

last time you play in that league.  

commish always, always has to be above reproach.  once had a commish call from the hospital, asking for me to adjust his lineup before the game (we weren't playing against each other).  i didn't get the message until about an hour later, so he went into the game minus one starter (who was a game-time scratch).  instead of using his admin tools after the fact, he simply said "it's no one's fault, so i have to take the loss".  so he gave up his shot at a $1200 first prize in order to maintain his integrity.

good man, that guy.

Link Posted: 9/27/2012 9:32:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

commish always, always has to be above reproach.  once had a commish call from the hospital, asking for me to adjust his lineup before the game (we weren't playing against each other).  i didn't get the message until about an hour later, so he went into the game minus one starter (who was a game-time scratch).  instead of using his admin tools after the fact, he simply said "it's no one's fault, so i have to take the loss".  so he gave up his shot at a $1200 first prize in order to maintain his integrity.

good man, that guy.

I know nothing of FF, whats a commish?
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 10:17:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

good man, that guy.

I know nothing of FF, whats a commish?

short for commissioner––the guy who runs the league, admins everything, and holds the money.  since he's also one of the contestants, he is held to a pretty exacting standard.  as in most any form of gambling, the guy who is in charge of the money has to be above reproach, or things can get ugly in a hurry.  i know a couple of situations that have gotten physical, which isn't surprising when guys are forking entry fees ranging from $20 for fun leagues to $500 for serious leagues.  with 10-12 contestants per league, the pot adds up in a hurry.

Link Posted: 9/28/2012 3:32:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's a borderline shankable offense in my book. I'm amazed at what a scumbag move that is. I've never heard of something that stupid either (I assume somebody wouldn't go through that trouble just pull your leg and get you riled up).

Honestly, you should call for him to get kicked out of the league. Get a league vote together for a replacement owner today. Blackball that guy out next year if you can't force him out this week. He's not your friend if you are playing for money.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 3:41:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Mike Greenburg on ESPN's Mike and Mike, just said "Eli Manning is the best QB in the NFL"
I agree
but I'm a diehard Giants fan.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 7:23:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hmmm, to play the Ravens D or the Giants D this week....

Vick is going to get hit and he's going to cough up the ball. If Rivers plays they will have a tough time running the ball too.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 7:26:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/28/2012 7:28:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Mike Greenburg on ESPN's Mike and Mike, just said "Eli Manning is the best QB in the NFL"
I agree

I like Mike and Mike, but I don't think Eli is #1.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 7:28:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

My "friend" and commish just tried to screw me[/quote]

[div]I am so fucking furious right now. Plus he tried to cover it up by commenting on a bunch of matchups (Yahoo league) to push the lineup change notification off of the home screen. I called the A-hole out on the matchup page so the whole league will see.

Holy fuck.  There money on that?
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 7:30:03 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy fuck. There money on that?

No.  Just a very casual league among friends for fun.  Which almost makes it worse, because there is nothing really to gain.  

If you are such a worthless person, that you have to cheat to make yourself feel big, well.... just wow

Link Posted: 9/28/2012 7:34:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cardinals go 4-0 after they unleash a can of whoop ass on Miami

Yeah, probably. Did you think your squad was going to be whooping so much ass this year? Color me shocked.

The NFC West is good this year.

I wonder about the Rams,they looked decent so far.I don't see anyone running away with the NFC west this year for sure.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see 2-3 NFC West teams in the Playoffs.

Seriously, though. I think The Cards may be 7-0 before they finally lose one.

I've been a Cardinal fan for far to long to think that optimistically.

If I was a fan of any other team, I would objectively look at the schedule and think Damn, the have a good shot at 7-0. But I'm a longtime Cards fan and would be happy with 4-3.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 7:43:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy fuck. There money on that?

No.  Just a very casual league among friends for fun.  Which almost makes it worse, because there is nothing really to gain.  

If you are such a worthless person, that you have to cheat to make yourself feel big, well.... just wow

Shady, but if it's just for fun, then make fun of him.

I'm in 5 leagues, all for money, and if someone pulled that shit there'd be hell to pay from everyone.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 7:48:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I agree

Eh... I might be one of the biggest Giants fans on Arfcom, but Eli has a long way to go before he can be crowned the best.

Here is some accolades I will give him though...

Best 4th quarter QB in the NFL, no one is better than Eli right now when the game is on the line.

He also seems to be a receiver creating machine. He can take a mediocre receiver and make him look good and make a good receiver look like a superstar.

He is not that great in the red zone (might be more Kevin Gillbride than Eli though).

He still makes some stupid mistakes, but it is because he trusts his arm and his rapport with his receivers.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 7:53:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jennings can't have control until his feet touch the ground

That is incorrect.  Under normal circumstances control takes place before contact with the ground is made, and for the catch to be completed control must be contained during coming to ground.

I already quoted the NFL rule about it: " If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass, (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground"

(Note the above says "goes to ground in the act of catching a pass" - the other than normal situation is if the player is already on the ground when he catches the ball, and that does not apply here, of course.)

According to the NFL, control occurs BEFORE contact with the ground, and must be MAINTAINED throughout the process of contacting the ground.

You can't MAINTAIN something you don't already have.

Jennings had control of the ball in the air.  He maintained that control throughout contact with the ground.  Tate never had control.  Tate merely touched the ball initially, and at some point after they hit the ground he managed to improve that to a degree.  Tate never caught the ball.

And, you appear to contradict yourself because you said earlier:

Touching the ball with your hands IS maintaining control.

I did not contradict myself. Maintaining control must be done in order to establish a catch. You don't have total control, I.E. "a catch" until your feet touch the ground. First you must touch it with your hands, then you must remain in contact with it all the way to the ground. If a DB and a WR both do that, the tie goes to the offense.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 7:59:15 AM EDT
[#25]
So is Josh Cribbs alive?
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 8:09:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So is Josh Cribbs alive?

LOL, yeah. I didn't see/hear about him after he went to the locker room. Probably undergoing some tests right now.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 8:15:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is incorrect.  Under normal circumstances control takes place before contact with the ground is made, and for the catch to be completed control must be contained during coming to ground.

I already quoted the NFL rule about it: " If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass, (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground"

(Note the above says "goes to ground in the act of catching a pass" - the other than normal situation is if the player is already on the ground when he catches the ball, and that does not apply here, of course.)

According to the NFL, control occurs BEFORE contact with the ground, and must be MAINTAINED throughout the process of contacting the ground.

Jennings had control of the ball in the air.  He maintained that control throughout contact with the ground.  Tate never had control.  Tate merely touched the ball initially, and at some point after they hit the ground he managed to improve that to a degree.  Tate never caught the ball.

I did not contradict myself. Maintaining control must be done in order to establish a catch. You don't have total control, I.E. "a catch" until your feet touch the ground. First you must touch it with your hands, then you must remain in contact with it all the way to the ground. If a DB and a WR both do that, the tie goes to the offense.

Being in control is not just maintaining contact. Otherwise they would just call it that.  If a player makes contact with the ball and maintains that contact all the way to the ground until he gets up and gives it to the ref, it can still be called incomplete if they ruled that he didn't have full control over it (ball secured) before stepping out of bounds.

Your interpretation of this would allow some pretty shady "catches".
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 8:28:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Being in control is not just maintaining contact. Otherwise they would just call it that.  If a player makes contact with the ball and maintains that contact all the way to the ground until he gets up and gives it to the ref, it can still be called incomplete if they ruled that he didn't have full control over it (ball secured) before stepping out of bounds.

You're right, if the player was heading out of bounds or the ball touched the ground, then you have to examine how the ball is secured, is it still moving before going out of bounds, or before the ball hit the ground. Calvin Johnson immediately placing the ball on the ground after catching it in the end zone, not a TD. Randy Moss catching the ball one handed on his finger tips in the endzone and then coming to a stop still holding the ball with one hand? TD.

However the play I'm talking out was completely inbounds, the ball stopped moving. You can hold the ball against your helmet when you catch it as long as it's still there and not jostling when you hit the ground. Look at Tyree's catch in SB42.

Link Posted: 9/28/2012 9:53:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Jennings didn't need any feet on the ground to have control. Control is different than possession. Jennings had control of the ball first, by getting both hands on the ball and pulling it to his chest. He then established possession when his feet hit the ground. As long as he had control first, which he did, he gains possession when both his feet land inbounds (which they do). It doesn't matter that Tate got his feet on the ground first, he did not have control (he did not have control because he only gained joint control after Jennings had already established control).

You hold the same position as the ref that made this call in the first place. He doesn't understand the rules either...

Link Posted: 9/28/2012 10:53:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right, if the player was heading out of bounds or the ball touched the ground, then you have to examine how the ball is secured, is it still moving before going out of bounds, or before the ball hit the ground. Calvin Johnson immediately placing the ball on the ground after catching it in the end zone, not a TD. Randy Moss catching the ball one handed on his finger tips in the endzone and then coming to a stop still holding the ball with one hand? TD.

However the play I'm talking out was completely inbounds, the ball stopped moving. You can hold the ball against your helmet when you catch it as long as it's still there and not jostling when you hit the ground. Look at Tyree's catch in SB42.

Only if you actually get control of the ball at some point. Which means not dropping it or trapping it or stepping out of bounds before securing it. Merely touching it is not enough to establish possession. Tate needed to have control of the ball in order to have possession and score a touchdown. He did not.

If it worked your way, a kickoff team could just run in before a return runner could knee for a touchback and claim a touchdown by grazing the ball.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 11:00:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only if you actually get control of the ball at some point. Which means not dropping it or trapping it or stepping out of bounds before securing it. Merely touching it is not enough to establish possession. Tate needed to have control of the ball in order to have possession and score a touchdown. He did not.

If it worked your way, a kickoff team could just run in before a return runner could knee for a touchback and claim a touchdown by grazing the ball.

Are you suggesting that Tate's arm around the ball in the posted pic is merely touching? If all you ever saw was the game speed film and the replay, I could see where you were coming from. Other angles tell a different story.

I hope you read that whole link I posted above your reply. It breaks it down pretty well––including the non-call on the OPI.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 1:46:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you suggesting that Tate's arm around the ball in the posted pic is merely touching? If all you ever saw was the game speed film and the replay, I could see where you were coming from. Other angles tell a different story.

I hope you read that whole link I posted above your reply. It breaks it down pretty well––including the non-call on the OPI.

Are you suggesting Tate had control of the ball?
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 1:56:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you suggesting Tate had control of the ball?

I can tell you didn't read that whole link.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 2:07:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Back to Week 4 discussions, I'm rooting for my Panthers, but am expecting them to get beatdown by the Falcons. Atlanta looks scary this year.

I hope you're wrong.  

Fify  

Nah.  Scam will be pouting down on the end of the bench again when he gets his ass hammered and he does his stupid superman shit when he scores a TD while 40 down.

Want a preview of what Obama is gonna be like when he loses?

Watch the video of him last week when he got his ass handed to him.  That's how a narcissist acts.  Cam and 0 only care about themselves.  Both have phony smiles.  

Neither knows how to act when they get their asses kicked except to pout.

Link Posted: 9/29/2012 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Seattle playing the Rams Sunday.
I guess we will see if the MNF game put some sort of voodoo mojo on the Seahawks.
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 7:44:12 PM EDT
[#38]

Thank you for reading it! I think a lot of people wouldn't be so bent out of shape about the call if they did.

I like all the videos in support of the ruling. It's a nice touch.

A good quote:

Then there is the fallacy of “having more control”, or the idea that two hands are better than one in this situation. That is not in the rule book, and not how any officials call the play.

If you can control the ball with your one hand and complete the process to the ground, like Tate and countless others before him did, then it is a good catch. Tate always had control with that left hand.
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 8:14:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Thank you for reading it! I think a lot of people wouldn't be so bent out of shape about the call if they did.

A few years back, the regular officials did cost the Falcons a game in Philadelphia.  They ruled that a Falcons player had touched a punted ball and allowed the Eagles to recover it.  It was a one score game.  It was just outside 2 minutes so Mike Smith could not challenge it.

The replays clearly showed he had not touched the ball.

I am disappointed that they settled with the union fucks.

Link Posted: 9/30/2012 9:30:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Dirty Birds going down today!

I hope.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 9:34:15 AM EDT
[#41]
The Jets have to have  the slowest defensive front 7 in league history.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 9:35:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Man, it is bad when the Lions invest heavily on the defensive line with all these top picks and so far this whole year they can't GET ANY FUCKING PRESSURE ON THE QB

Link Posted: 9/30/2012 9:36:32 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Man, it is bad when the Lions invest heavily on the defensive line with all these top picks and so far this whole year they can't GET ANY FUCKING PRESSURE ON THE QB

Same problem with the Jets. They're defense is just stuck in 1st gear out there.

Link Posted: 9/30/2012 9:57:58 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

it's like a repeat of their WR drafting from a few yyears back––3 straight 1st round WRs, and they still couldn't get any offense.

Link Posted: 9/30/2012 10:18:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Buf vs pats game is crazy!
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 10:19:15 AM EDT
[#46]
FINALLY!!!! Some fucking defense!
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Another view from the seats, time dragging waiting on afternoon games to kick off.

Link Posted: 9/30/2012 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Jets are shit lol.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 11:19:54 AM EDT
[#49]
The Lions should announce at a press conference after the game that the Special Teams coach has been fired.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 11:49:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Time to bench Russell Wilson and let Matt Flynn get the C Hawks offense going....this is getting ridiculous !

Defense is playing well enough but this freaking "O" is embarrassing...save Lynch of course.
Page / 101
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top