Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/9/2024 10:17:30 PM EDT
Man, ain’t nobody got time for that!

Got out of it a few years ago, guess they didn’t forget about me.

You guys get called before? Anyone get stuck on a long case?
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:20:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I get out of it because I would get fired for missing work even one day.  But if I didn’t have this job I would definitely do it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:21:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't shirk it. Did the Rittenhouse trial teach you nothing about needing based jurors?
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:22:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I got the summons last year.  Stuck on a civil case.  The jury elected me foreman, and we agreed on damages in about 15 minutes.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:23:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for your service, OP.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:24:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Go watch "12 Angry Men".  Seriously, it's a duty not to take lightly, my assault case took a week to resolve.  In my state, if the accused is stupid enough to take the stand, jurors can ask questions and I had a couple that blew his alabii out of the water. Don't panic over the questionairre, answer the questions to the best of your ability, don't feel the need to write a novel.

12 ANGRY MEN (1957) | Official Trailer | MGM
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:25:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I got called for a second degree murder trial a couple of years ago.

It was a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:26:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Here’s my experience:

Defense attorney: What do you do for a living?
Me: I work for CDCR.
Defense attorney: Have a nice day.

Why does no one want to pick me?
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:26:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I get out of it because I would get fired for missing work even one day.  But if I didn’t have this job I would definitely do it.
View Quote

Our district judges would have your employer sitting in jail over that. Work is no excuse.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:27:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Free an innocent man.

Send a shithead to the can.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:27:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I was I was called more often
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:28:37 PM EDT
[#11]
My old boss said he called them up, said he was me, and he “took care of it”.

Not a favor I asked for. Dont know what he said, but I haven’t been summoned in about 13 years.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:29:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Lots of letters. Never actually asked to come in.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:29:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I get a summons once a year. I ducked out last year because I was just too busy. I'll probably go again next time I get the letter. I'm not trying to test my luck, and catch a fine.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:30:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Been called three times. Got to jury selection once. Once the defense lawyer asked my occupation, I was dismisse.

Have been in the waiting area with two fellow employees, eventually dismissed to go home. There was no hiccup in our paychecks from our employer.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:31:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Look at it as a chance to make a difference in someone's life. You may have a chance to save someone from unreasonable persecution, or impart justice for a true criminal. Take this seriously, it is not a joke and is an important responsibility.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:31:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

You know they can't legally fire you for jury duty right?

ETA-you could always get excused saying work can't do without you then go on a diving trip out of the country shortly after.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:31:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Got a summons for county superior court one day last fall, then got a summons for federal court a day later.
Was released from both.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:32:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Man, ain’t nobody got time for that!

Got out of it a few years ago, guess they didn’t forget about me.

View Quote

I hope you are joking.
why is jury duty such a hard ship?
Do your civic duty.
I was called, showed up, not chosen.  In and out in 45 minutes.
It was a DUI case.
I think the lawyers pre-screen the candidates.
I wasn’t even asked a question and was dismissed before they started asking questions.
Do your duty
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:33:22 PM EDT
[#19]
This will not go the way OP thought it would go.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:34:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Got the letter once, when I was moving out of a liberal state. Just told them I wasn’t going to be living in state at that date

Dunno why it’s never happened before, always registered to vote, homeowner, driver license, dunno where they get names but I wasn’t exactly hiding
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:35:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Man, ain't nobody got time for that!

Got out of it a few years ago, guess they didn't forget about me.

View Quote

My first one was a criminal case that lasted more than nine weeks.

My employer paid me full salary even though the JD took up about 2/3 of my work hours.  By coincidence, our IT Director was on JD for a trial of a former mayor of San Diego.  He was the foreman.  That took a lot longer than the case I was on, and he got paid a whole lot more than I was.

https://law.justia.com/cases/california/court-of-appeal/3d/183/810.html

The company changed its policy after that, so that employees could get only two weeks of full pay for jury duty.  Such adventures I had back in the '80s.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:36:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Homer Simpson on beating jury duty
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:37:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I hope you are joking.
Do your civic duty.
It was a DUI case.
I wasn't even asked a question and was dismissed before they started asking questions.
Do your duty
View Quote
Because it's a pain in the ass. They pay you $8 to stay in a room for four hours and probably never actually get called. Some people can't afford to miss a day of work for $8.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:38:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I haven't been called since living at my current address.  When I lived in St Louis City I would get called every couple of years as the jury pool was pretty small there. I almost always got booted immediately due to my jobs.  But one year I got the chance to go through the whole process, but wasn't selected.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:39:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I wouldn't mind a 3-4 month jury duty case to break up the monotony at work.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:39:52 PM EDT
[#26]
You get many benefits as a citizen.  You have a few obligations such as paying taxes, voting, and rarely by serving on a jury.  Yes, we bitch about all three.

But wouldn't you want someone with your values on a jury if you were a party?  Self defense shooting case?  Don't bitch about liberal juries if you're not willing to serve.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:40:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Because it's a pain in the ass. They pay you $8 to stay in a room for four hours and probably never actually get called. Some people can't afford to miss a day of work for $8.
View Quote

I remember the arfcommer who went to jury duty and the only place for him to park at the courthouse was paid parking that cost more than they pay for a day of jury duty.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:40:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope you are joking.
Do your civic duty.
It was a DUI case.
I wasn't even asked a question and was dismissed before they started asking questions.
Do your duty
If your employer is worth a damn, they'll still pay you your usual salary.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:42:25 PM EDT
[#29]
I was on a murder/arson trial this past summer. Think it ended up being 2 weeks.  First time I was ever selected for an actual jury.

It was a good and eye opening experience for a lot of reasons.

We convicted.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/courts/story/2023-08-02/romero-convicted-escondido-murder-arson

Edit: just saw he was sentenced "31 years to life", which I believe means he has a chance for parole at 31 years, but not certain.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:44:27 PM EDT
[#30]
I have been called a few times. I shower. I shave. I dress like a professional. I show up ready and willing to serve.

I am then promptly sent home.

I don't think they want clean cut guys of my demographic.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:44:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Here you get put on a panel for six months.

The wife just spent six months on a juror panel. Maybe had to show up 5-6 times in six months. Got seated for jury selection maybe 3 times, always dismissed.

Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:46:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Did a murder case. An individual chopped up their kid. May God have pity on them because not one of the jurors did.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:46:29 PM EDT
[#33]
I received a jury duty summons in the mail today too.

In RED up top was second notice....but I never got the first.

I guess I will hand deliver the filled out form to the clerk's office this week.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:46:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

That’s illegal.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:47:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I remember the arfcommer who went to jury duty and the only place for him to park at the courthouse was paid parking that cost more than they pay for a day of jury duty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I went to jury duty last time, they didn't give us food because we were all still waiting to be called for a case so there were like ~100 of us.
Lunch downtown was far more than my jury duty pay.

All the cases on the docket copped a plea, except one who skipped bail. And we were waiting around all fucking day in case the sheriff's deputies found her. The judge came and told us long after close of business about the other cases and that she skips bail every single time she's going to jail and she shows up to her momma's house for one last home-cooked dinner, so the deputies were going to be waiting for her there that evening, and this time he wasn't giving her bail and she would be the next week's jury pool's problem.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:47:18 PM EDT
[#36]
First, I have served 3 times. I'm deaf now and can't always hear the right words. I'm permanently excused from the feds and 2 counties.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:48:11 PM EDT
[#37]
when i was called up for jury duty GD told me:  just be yourself and you won't get picked.

goddamn if GD wasn't right.

went like this:

scumbag lawyer:  do you believe all gang members are criminals?

JLP3 (very enthusiastically): yes, of course, absolutely, 100%, no question.

scumbag lawyer:  we'd like to excuse JLP3 from the jury pool.

me:
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:48:34 PM EDT
[#38]
I served on a civil case that was a disability appeal back in the people's republic. Was mostly boring as fuck other than that the jury foreman fucked up the verdict (it was worded as a negative question) and we were all like wait WTF when it was read. Had to reissue the verdict.

Hopefully the deadbeat doper didn't win anything if he appealed. His lawyer was a total tweaker skank, too.

If criminal, please don't try to evade your duty.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:48:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, that's pretty much my experience.

Oh, and I got on a jury.  The only good thing was I got my doe tags while I was in the courthouse by visiting the county treasurer.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:49:03 PM EDT
[#40]
@Extorris

one of my sheriff's deputy buddies likes to say that he hates jury trials because a jury is 12 people who aren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:49:17 PM EDT
[#41]
I got called during covid and it was basically just 5 phone calls to say it was cancelled each time.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:49:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Here you get put on a panel for six months.

The wife just spent six months on a juror panel. Maybe had to show up 5-6 times in six months. Got seated for jury selection maybe 3 times, always dismissed.

View Quote

Damn man.  I knew a guy on a federal grand jury who had to do that.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:51:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Lighten up dudes, mostly I’m joking. I do have my FIL living with us currently, he’s undergoing chemo for cancer every 4 weeks, & my 90 y/o grandpa is here too. I like to be available for them when necessary.

I live in a town of 8500 people & the whole county is 16,500, which is a little bigger than Connecticut & a little smaller than New Jersey.

My jury duty stint is 6 months! We’re pretty slow in the crime department, luckily.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:52:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's normal in San Diego.  You either park a mile or so away for free and walk, or take an Uber or public transit, or suck it up and eat the difference.  The good news is there are some mighty fine places to eat within a few blocks of the courthouse.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:53:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Mine got cancelled this morning. I was actually looking forward to it since it was a good felony case.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:54:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
@Extorris

one of my sheriff's deputy buddies likes to say that he hates jury trials because a jury is 12 people who aren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

View Quote

LOL.  I was actually sickened by the other people on the jury...mostly because they were programmed to think CSI stuff and also wokeism.  The defense attorney totally played up the race card thing but in his after action discussion with us he said he could have gone further and should have based on the 20 something white chicks on the jury (black defendant).

There was one angry retired nurse on the jury that the minute we could discuss the case said guilty down the line and let's GTFO.  There was one charge that was total bullshit, and judge AND the prosecuting attorney later told us had we convicted the defendant on that charge it would have been appealed.  The DA's office charged it to shut the cops up...because one of the cops screwed up and injured himself but of course it was because he was dealing with this case so it was the defendant's fault.  Also, I learned after the case the defendant had beat the crap out of two cops in a past scuffle but was in a program to keep him out of prison but figured he could beat the charges this time (his third major arrest for felonies).
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:55:24 PM EDT
[#47]
I got called twice in 2023.... First and second time ever. Never had to go in though...
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:56:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Here’s my experience:

Defense attorney: What do you do for a living?
Me: I work for CDCR.
Defense attorney: Have a nice day.

Why does no one want to pick me?
View Quote

Because they don't know what the cdcr is.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 11:02:00 PM EDT
[#49]
I had it a few years ago.  I had been called multiple times prior, but never actually made it to the jury box.

Hit and run case.

Guy hit a pedestrian.  Just broke her leg, luckily.

There was a ton of video and physical evidence.  Driver parked 3 blocks away, then went home for several hours before going to the PD and turning himself in.

Open and closed conviction other than a single moron on the jury who "didn't want to ruin a guy's life by making him a felon."

She eventually voted guilty, but it took WAY too fucking long.  I think there was 2 hours the first night then we had to go home, and we spent another 4-5 hours the next day.  

All in all I enjoyed it and learned quite a bit about how the system works.  I'd be happy to do it again.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 11:02:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Congratulations citizen!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top