Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 12/10/2020 1:27:55 PM EDT
As a hunter, gun owner, and father I’ve never understood how the fuck this happens.  Are these guys just blindly shooting without even attempting to verify their target?

Sounds like it was after sunset, son with no orange on but come on man.
Shouldn’t have even been taking a shot that late

DELAWARE COUNTY, Ohio — A man was shot and killed by his father in a hunting accident in Delaware County, according to the Delaware County Sheriff's Office.
The sheriff's office said Andrew Smith, 28, was deer hunting with his father and a group of friends on Dec. 2 just south of the city of Delaware in a wooded area along Pollock Road.
Smith was not wearing any orange hunting gear when his father mistook him for a deer and shot him, according to the sheriff's office.
The sheriff's office said dispatchers received a call about the shooting around 5:45 p.m.
According to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources Division of Wildlife, hunters are required to wear orange clothing from 30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset during deer gun season.
The sunset in central Ohio happened around 5 p.m. on Dec. 2.
Tracy Whited, a spokesperson for the sheriff's office, said the group had experience hunting and Smith had been hunting with his father since Smith was seven years old.
Smith is originally from Elyria but had been living in Columbus.
No charges will be filed against Smith's father.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:29:58 PM EDT
[#1]
That sucks.

Know your target and what's behind it.

Pretty much basic firearm safety.

An yes it gets dark at 5:00 pm in Ohio, not sure why they were shooting at anything that late.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:31:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
As a hunter, gun owner, and father I've never understood how the fuck this happens.  Are these guys just blindly shooting without even attempting to verify their target?

DELAWARE COUNTY, Ohio  A man was shot and killed by his father in a hunting accident in Delaware County, according to the Delaware County Sheriff's Office.
The sheriff's office said Andrew Smith, 28, was deer hunting with his father and a group of friends on Dec. 2 just south of the city of Delaware in a wooded area along Pollock Road.
Smith was not wearing any orange hunting gear when his father mistook him for a deer and shot him, according to the sheriff's office.
The sheriff's office said dispatchers received a call about the shooting around 5:45 p.m.
According to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources Division of Wildlife, hunters are required to wear orange clothing from 30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset during deer gun season.
Tracy Whited, a spokesperson for the sheriff's office, said the group had experience hunting and Smith had been hunting with his father since Smith was seven years old.
View Quote

View Quote

I've never understood it either.  Never once, not even as a child, did I ever think to shoot at something I hadn't verified was something I wanted to shoot at.  How do you make an ethical shot on a game animal when you can't even tell it's a game animal you're shooting at?  It's absurd.

ETA: I mean the cases where the victim was "mistaken for (game)."  Accidents like overshooting a target, swinging through a target, etc, I understand how those can occur (even though they're also preventable.)

It's the "well I heard something/saw movement so I shot" that I find maddeningly irresponsible, ridiculous, nonsensical, inexcusable.

Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:31:58 PM EDT
[#3]
This sucks.

I don't hunt, but when a hunter looks thru his scope/sights, doesn't he look for his target before shooting?
I can't imagine pulling the trigger without seeing my target first.

edit:  previous comments answer my question and confirm my thoughts.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:32:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Tragedy...
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:33:47 PM EDT
[#5]
They're not going to charge him for poaching since he shot after dark?

Let alone that he didn't verify his target and it was a person... wtf?

Bet I'd get 10 years for taking a rabbit a minute after dark.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:33:58 PM EDT
[#6]
i have never mistaken a human for a deer
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:34:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Sad.

And things like this is why I haven't hunted in many years. Too many idiots in the woods with itchy fingers.  

And the woods are crowded during deer season around here.

eta - spelling
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:34:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn. I can't imagine the grief the father must feel.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:36:09 PM EDT
[#9]
The real question is, will he have him mounted?
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:37:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't be surprised if alcohol was involved.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:37:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:37:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And things like this is why I haven't hunted in many years. Too many idiots in the woods with itchy fingers.  

View Quote

Yep. I quit going during the rifle season here. Only archery and sometimes muzzle loader season.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:37:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I passed up a deer just yesterday because she was in heavy brush and I wasn't certain of my shot. Can't imagine blazing away at random shit.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:38:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sad.

eta - spelling
View Quote

Public land does get worse every year. Where I hunt a group was saved this year from a flood they should have seen coming.

I heard there were two 4x4s floating down the river.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:39:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They're not going to charge him for poaching since he shot after dark?

Let alone that he didn't verify his target and it was a person... wtf?

Bet I'd get 10 years for taking a rabbit a minute after dark.
View Quote

He fucking killed his own son.  Living with that is infinitely worse than any criminal charges like your "poaching" for shooting after dark offense.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:39:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

“... If it makes you feel better, I didn’t have seconds...”
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:40:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Damn. I can't imagine the grief the father must feel.
View Quote

This.    I don't even know how you come back from something like that.

My first CHL class, I took from an ex-police officer, whose 4 year old kid gained access to his service weapon and killed herself playing with it.  He turned into a broken shell of a man when he told the story.  It had been years but you could see the burden he carried.

Now imagine you are the one who pulled the trigger.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:40:49 PM EDT
[#18]
PERCEPTION IS REALITY

Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:41:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This sucks.

I don't hunt, but when a hunter looks thru his scope/sights, doesn't he look for his target before shooting?
I can't imagine pulling the trigger without seeing my target first.

edit:  previous comments answer my question and confirm my thoughts.
View Quote
No deer, fox, coyote, turkey, partridge, squirrel, rabbit, coon, woodchuck, prairie dog, has ever been so important for me to kill that I shot at it before I knew it wasn't a domestic dog, person, or some animal out of season.

It's unjustifiable in my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:41:05 PM EDT
[#20]
What his father did was inexcusably stupid but I still feel sorry for him
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:41:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fall Out Boy - Sugar, We're Goin Down (Official Music Video)

It happens
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:42:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Saw the title, saw the state, and immediiately thought "RB thread!".

I am sad for that family, this is horrible.

Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:42:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Was it really an accident
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:43:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Never understood wanting to kill a deer so bad you just shoot at sound and movement.

Prison.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:43:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I passed up a deer just yesterday because she was in heavy brush and I wasn't certain of my shot. Can't imagine blazing away at random shit.
View Quote

Same here.  I've never taken a shot at "a deer".  I've only fired when I was reasonably certain of putting a bullet in the vitals of a deer.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:45:24 PM EDT
[#26]
alcohol + retard fudd "recon by fire" mentality.

I love the woods, any excuse and I am out there on foot, dirt bike or jeep... except deer season
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:45:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
As a hunter, gun owner, and father I’ve never understood how the fuck this happens.  Are these guys just blindly shooting without even attempting to verify their target?
View Quote

Have you never been to a public range especially during fudd season? I don't see quite the responsibility factor displayed in that scenario as the hunters we have here.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:45:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

right? I look through the scope and can see if its a deer.
If I can't see its too dark to take the shot.
If you can't see the target and make a positive identification don't shoot. seems like a no brainer

sad story regardless
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:46:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Hunting tragedies happen because a basic safety violation happens. We had a fatally here a few weeks back on the closing weekend of elk season.  Loaded rifle brought into a vehicle and the trigger was pulled. I refuse to hunt with sloppy people who carry guns.  As a parent, I could not imagine what the family is going through.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:48:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

OMFG, in.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:48:55 PM EDT
[#31]
I think we all know what this was.

Hunting after dark=poaching.  

Not to bash any of the responsible hunters here, but lets face it.  We all know "that guy" that shoots at anything that moves and it sounds like is that thats case of.

Can't imagine the fathers level of grief/guilt.  I'd be he eats a bullet in the next year.

We had an instance a month or so ago locally where some 18 year old was at a local lake in a hunting area with his girlfriend and he was shot in the neck from 50-100 yards away by hunter.  (locals, this was the shooting at lake nockixon on the south side of the lake).

As much as I want to be out in the woods this time of year, I stay out.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:50:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, if I can't make out exactly what it is or what's behind it I'm not pulling the trigger.  I rarely even stay in the stand as late as I'm legally allowed; once I can't make out antlers clearly in the scope I figure I might as well come down and even though I hunt only on private property I cut my headlamp on as soon as I decide to finish for the day.  It takes a special kind of idiot to shoot another hunter.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:50:49 PM EDT
[#33]
That's rough.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:51:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Hunting tragedies happen because a basic safety violation happens. We had a fatally here a few weeks back on the closing weekend of elk season.  Loaded rifle brought into a vehicle and the trigger was pulled. I refuse to hunt with sloppy people who carry guns.  As a parent, I could not imagine what the family is going through.
View Quote

When it comes to guns I have a 1 strike rule.

Anyone over the age of 9 or so who commits a blatant safety violation I permanently disassociate with in regards to firearm activities.

Sorry, not worth it. I ve got a family to support.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:51:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Orange or no orange, if you can't tell the difference between a deer and a human you shouldn't be hunting. Period.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:53:09 PM EDT
[#36]
A long time deer hunter gave me the advise to ALWAYS use a flashlight when moving near dark and during darkness.  Deer never have lights.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:53:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. I have no fucking clue how this shit happens. If I'm not 100% certain, the trigger isn't getting pulled.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:53:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If you can't see the target and make a positive identification don't shoot. seems like a no brainer

sad story regardless
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

sad story regardless

Using a scope to identify a deer is bad practice.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#39]
I'd eat a bullet if that happened to me. Holy fuck.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:57:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Why didn't he know where his kid was?

Why didn't he have him wear orange?

Why did he shoot without knowing his target?

Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:59:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Well that's a fucking shame.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 2:01:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Buck fever... Fudds get all hot and bothered then start blasting every little rustle in the bushes.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 2:01:06 PM EDT
[#43]
What a tragedy.  Learn from this pain and reaffirm your safety training from time to time with all those that handle firearms.  I’ve hunted most of my life and still talk to my children about firearm safety every time we handle them.  Both have been through hunter safety.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 2:03:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Always use a flashlight and move it from the 9 o'clock to the 3 o'clock position as you walk through the woods when it starts to lose light during deer hunting season. Blaze orange vest and hat also.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

OMFG, in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OMFG, in.

Link Posted: 12/10/2020 2:04:24 PM EDT
[#46]
I can't imagine the grief of shooting one of your children.  My heart breaks for that man.  What makes it even worse is that he knows he raised his son to be careless when hunting.  His son didn't have on any blaze orange and was walking around in the woods after dark during gun season with no light?  WTF man, how did you teach your son to do these stupid things.  My children even know they can't go into the woods after dark without a light during hunting season.  He is at fault for this several different ways and he knows it.

PSA, if you're gonna walk in the woods at night, make sure you have a light.  Added bonus if you know the hunting seasons of where you're walking.  But a light at a minimum lets a hunter know you're not game.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 2:04:35 PM EDT
[#47]
December 2ed,  Columbus Ohio sunset was legally 5:07 PM.

Which means he shot at the extreme end, if not AFTER legal shooting time too.

I was out that day. I left my tree stand at 457pm. Because you couldn't see shit anyways between the rain, the snow settling in, the heavy cloud cover and how dark it got so quick, especially in the woods.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 2:05:26 PM EDT
[#48]
I feel bad, but holy shit dont send rounds without eyes on the target. Jesus Christ
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 2:05:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Older guy I know told me he was at deer camp in Minnesota when he was a kid - probably in the 50's.  He heard a shot and a bullet whizzing through the brush around him.  Later that evening one of the other folks in camp said he'd taken a 'sound shot' earlier that day but didn't hit anything.

I'd have come unglued.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 2:05:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I've never understood it either.  Never once, not even as a child, did I ever think to shoot at something I hadn't verified was something I wanted to shoot at.  How do you make an ethical shot on a game animal when you can't even tell it's a game animal you're shooting at?  It's absurd.

ETA: I mean the cases where the victim was "mistaken for (game)."  Accidents like overshooting a target, swinging through a target, etc, I understand how those can occur (even though they're also preventable.)

It's the "well I heard something/saw movement so I shot" that I find maddeningly irresponsible, ridiculous, nonsensical, inexcusable.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As a hunter, gun owner, and father I've never understood how the fuck this happens.  Are these guys just blindly shooting without even attempting to verify their target?

DELAWARE COUNTY, Ohio  A man was shot and killed by his father in a hunting accident in Delaware County, according to the Delaware County Sheriff's Office.

Absolutely. We had something similar here in MI a while back. Moron almost hit a cyclist during bow season. Fired at something moving (with a bow) without considering the fact that he was within arrow range of a well known biking trail.

Who takes a potshot at an unidentified moving target while hunting with a bow?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top