Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 3:24:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The real question is, will he have him mounted?
View Quote

Goddamit!

Lol
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 3:28:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Man, if I shot and killed my son in the woods they’d probably find both of our bodies out there.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 3:29:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Makes about as much sense as cleaning a loaded gun.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Enjoy living with that for the rest of your life, you dumb shithead
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 3:33:29 PM EDT
[#5]
He shouldn’t have been wearing antlers.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 3:34:44 PM EDT
[#6]
That's why I won't let my wife and I hike anywhere there is hunting.

Too many idiots.

That poor guy shot his own son and I can't imagine his grief but damn know 100% what you are shooting.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 3:35:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hunters are one of the biggest reasons I don’t hunt or go near the woods during the season. And I can kill deer in my yard or walk one minute to FS land, doesn’t matter I still don’t go. I think of all the ‘hunters’ I’ve seen tumble out of a pickup falling-down drunk, or my friend who I went hunting with 8 years ago that smoked bowl after bowl after bowl of weed while driving from one place to hunt to another, and my desire to go shrivels to nothing.
View Quote

You're experience is totally different than mine. The vast majority of people I've known who I've hunted with over the years have been competent, conscientious and knowledgeable hunters.  I'm sorry you live in an area with so many dickheads that prevent you from enjoying the great sport of hunting as well as some great organic meals.

Link Posted: 12/10/2020 3:37:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You're experience is totally different than mine. The vast majority of people I've known who I've hunted with over the years have been competent, consciences and knowledgeable hunters.  I'm sorry you live in an area with so many dickheads that prevent you from enjoying the great sport of hunting as well as some great organic meals.

View Quote

“Deer camp” for so many is generally just another term for drinking from sunup until you blackout for a week straight. With some hunting thrown in.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 3:40:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've never understood it either.  Never once, not even as a child, did I ever think to shoot at something I hadn't verified was something I wanted to shoot at.  How do you make an ethical shot on a game animal when you can't even tell it's a game animal you're shooting at?  It's absurd.

ETA: I mean the cases where the victim was "mistaken for (game)."  Accidents like overshooting a target, swinging through a target, etc, I understand how those can occur (even though they're also preventable.)

It's the "well I heard something/saw movement so I shot" that I find maddeningly irresponsible, ridiculous, nonsensical, inexcusable.

View Quote

Yep.

I did the shooting at something I heard moving exactly one time.  But I was certain that I was the only person on the entire property, I was shooting downhill, and I knew it was one of the hogs I'd just fired at (confirmed target by eye) trying to come kill me first.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 3:42:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 3:47:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Terrible situation. I always tell friends whom
I’m hunting with check and double check what you’re shooting at. Then check again.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 3:53:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Man, if I shot and killed my son in the woods they’d probably find both of our bodies out there.
View Quote

It's happened.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 3:56:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Just goes to show how many dumb asses are out in the woods during deer season.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 3:58:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You're experience is totally different than mine. The vast majority of people I've known who I've hunted with over the years have been competent, consciences and knowledgeable hunters.  I'm sorry you live in an area with so many dickheads that prevent you from enjoying the great sport of hunting as well as some great organic meals.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hunters are one of the biggest reasons I don’t hunt or go near the woods during the season. And I can kill deer in my yard or walk one minute to FS land, doesn’t matter I still don’t go. I think of all the ‘hunters’ I’ve seen tumble out of a pickup falling-down drunk, or my friend who I went hunting with 8 years ago that smoked bowl after bowl after bowl of weed while driving from one place to hunt to another, and my desire to go shrivels to nothing.

I also avoid hiking in areas with a lot of hunters. Most hunters are indeed responsible, ethical, awesome people. Then you've got bozos like the dude in the article, or certain groups that would love to bag a white man and just might if drunk enough. I just try to stick to national/state parks and similar areas during peak rifle season if I'm not hunting. Even if I'm somewhere where hunting is prohibited, I try to wear bright colors during deer/elk seasons just in case.

While I do think the shooter in this case was grossly negligent, sometimes we see what we expect to see, particularly in low light.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 4:08:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Really, first you have to confirm it's a deer you should shoot followed by determining where you should place your shot and anything that may interfere with staying true.  So how is it possible to hit a human other than maybe someone that may have been unknowingly down range.  You would think at the very least you would know where your own hunting partner was.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 4:12:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
December 2ed,  Columbus Ohio sunset was legally 5:07 PM.

Which means he shot at the extreme end, if not AFTER legal shooting time too.

I was out that day. I left my tree stand at 457pm. Because you couldn't see shit anyways between the rain, the snow settling in, the heavy cloud cover and how dark it got so quick, especially in the woods.
View Quote

Legal shooting is a half hour AFTER SUNSET
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 4:13:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I passed up a deer just yesterday because she was in heavy brush and I wasn't certain of my shot. Can't imagine blazing away at random shit.
View Quote

I did the same thing on Sunday.  It was the first horns that I had seen in 2 weeks of hunting.   I thought that the buck was going to walk into a shooting lane, but he didn't.  When I realized that it was a shooter buck.  I had about 2 seconds to make the decision to shoot.  As bad as I wanted to shoot a buck this year.  I'd rather do with out than shoot unsure.

I feel bad for the father.  Only because he own stupidity caused the death of his son.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 5:05:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I can't even begin to imagine the amount of pain that father is going through. And to think that a handful of our members are making light of the situation I know we have our own share of lowlifes, but people should still have a modicum of class.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 5:11:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The real question is, will he have him mounted?
View Quote
Necrophelia is against the law.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 5:29:16 PM EDT
[#20]
How many hunting threads do you read here where the story is basically, "I was hunting at dusk, the sun was setting and along comes this buck. I about jizzed my pants over it and took aim and shot him. I had to come back the next morning because I couldn't track him, and I found him at 9AM..."? Etc. etc. etc.

Thing is, some hunters are driven by the kill instead of the sport. Make a clean shot, know what you're shooting, and do it when you can do it safely. Sadly, this is idiocy culling the gene pool out of sheer negligence.

ETA: Two more questions.

Did the dad use a straightwalled cartridge?

Is anyone else surprised RB has kids?
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 9:34:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You're experience is totally different than mine. The vast majority of people I've known who I've hunted with over the years have been competent, conscientious and knowledgeable hunters.  I'm sorry you live in an area with so many dickheads that prevent you from enjoying the great sport of hunting as well as some great organic meals.

View Quote

I've seen the same thing in several states. I know some great guys that hunt, one of whom shares his kills with me, I just don't have any desire to get shot by some dipshit who has had too many beers and is shooting at sounds.

When I lived in OH, during deer season the county I lived in REGULARLY had homes that were hundreds of meters from the nearest trees get hit with shotgun slugs. How fucking drunk (or high) does one need to be to mortar shotgun slugs into a house like that? Or road hunt and shoot at a deer in a field, with a house right behind it?

Link Posted: 12/10/2020 9:45:04 PM EDT
[#22]
I have never hunted deer and don't plan to, but even someone as ignorant as I am knows that this guy is an idiot. Don't you want to identify which deer you're shooting, much less THAT it's a deer you're shooting? I guess this guy he wasn't looking for a buck, or doe but simply "anything that moves"?

Frankly this is one of those things that is so stupid, like leaving your child in a hot car, that I HOPE hurts and hurts forever, because you KILLED your child. Zero sympathy.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 9:46:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 9:48:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I hear of this happening every year it seems.  I have zero clue how it's even possible.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 11:12:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
He didn't "mistake his son for a deer", the idiot shot at a movement, a shape or at a sound without correctly identify it while he KNEW his son and other hunters were in the area. That's a level of stupid that's hard to comprehend.
View Quote

Shit like this is why I'll never do a drive hunt again. Stand hunting is so much easier to pick a safe shot it's unreal.

And that's DURING shooting hours.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 11:27:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
How many hunting threads do you read here where the story is basically, "I was hunting at dusk, the sun was setting and along comes this buck. I about jizzed my pants over it and took aim and shot him. I had to come back the next morning because I couldn't track him, and I found him at 9AM..."? Etc. etc. etc.

Thing is, some hunters are driven by the kill instead of the sport. Make a clean shot, know what you're shooting, and do it when you can do it safely. Sadly, this is idiocy culling the gene pool out of sheer negligence.

View Quote

"Did the dad use a straightwalled cartridge?" What the FUCK does that have to do with anything? Are you one of the people trying to claim rifles are too dangerous and want to go back to shotgun only?

The guy's son is dead, there may have been a couple game violations that led to the shot, it's his fault for taking that shot. He'd be just as dead if hit by a rifled slug as if it was a .350 Legend.

I've been hunting deer with straightwall cartridges for 10 years, first handgun and now rifle. I haven't killed anybody. I shoot when conditions are safe, legal and I ask ahead of time if I'm likely to be sharing the woods with anybody.

And no, I don't think that makes me immune to an accident.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 7:57:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I passed up a deer just yesterday because she was in heavy brush and I wasn't certain of my shot. Can't imagine blazing away at random shit.
View Quote

Yep.

Last week, biggest deer I've ever seen in PA in my life. Didn't want to fuck it up due to brush so I passed.

I can't fathom shooting at "deer sound".

Complete fucktards.

At least with the morons blazing away at running deer who accidentally shoot people/buildings/vehicles I can understand that they at least know that they are shooting at a deer, even if it is in an irresponsible and dangerous manner.

Forgetting to check beyond your target, while completely unacceptable, is at least an understandable dick move compared to the idiocy of not even knowing exactly what you are shooting at or where you might hit it. I can't even wrap my head around that concept.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:44:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Shit like this is why I'll never do a drive hunt again. Stand hunting is so much easier to pick a safe shot it's unreal.

And that's DURING shooting hours.
View Quote

Im surprised drive hunting is legal anywhere.

It is outlawed in AZ, but god help you if you find yourself in the woods within 2 hours drive of phoenix during hunting season.

Nothing quite like the mix of driving, drinking, and shooting at noises.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:46:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
They're not going to charge him for poaching since he shot after dark?

Let alone that he didn't verify his target and it was a person... wtf?

Bet I'd get 10 years for taking a rabbit a minute after dark.
View Quote

5 isnt that dark
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:48:56 AM EDT
[#30]
I have hunted in Ohio, any snapped twig results in 3-4 shots rattled off in the general direction.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:59:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have hunted in Ohio, any snapped twig results in 3-4 shots rattled off in the general direction.
View Quote

Man, some weatherproof audio/video equipment and a guy could have a pretty good weekend.  

No excuse for not knowing what you are shooting at in this case.  

I'm sure I've come close to shooting deer past the legal time limit, snow on the ground, clear sky, open field, full moon and good optics. At that point in the hunt, I'm probably too cold and tired to deal with field dressing the critter.

A range I used to be a member of would have a day for non members to have a place to sight in their rifles, I think it was $20.  Anyway, it was fun and scary to watch some (not all, not most) of these deer hunters.  No familiarity with their rifles operation, how to zero, poor shooting fundamentals, random twisting of the scope dials, you name it.  Not to mention lots of these guys were continually out of breath doing almost nothing.  I'd see some fairly decent rifles, but then they'd have $15 mounts and a $50 scope, for a time of year they looked forward to for 50 weeks.  

Not surprising that 25% of deer hunters take 75% of the deer every year.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:00:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

"Did the dad use a straightwalled cartridge?" What the FUCK does that have to do with anything? Are you one of the people trying to claim rifles are too dangerous and want to go back to shotgun only?

The guy's son is dead, there may have been a couple game violations that led to the shot, it's his fault for taking that shot. He'd be just as dead if hit by a rifled slug as if it was a .350 Legend.

I've been hunting deer with straightwall cartridges for 10 years, first handgun and now rifle. I haven't killed anybody. I shoot when conditions are safe, legal and I ask ahead of time if I'm likely to be sharing the woods with anybody.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stay calm there guy, I'm pretty sure the straight-walled cartridge comment was a joke, because it would be illegal to hunt deer or your son with a bottleneck cartridge in Ohio.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:08:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Ah!

I just go by what my watch tells me as official sun rise / sunset time.

At least I'll be on the conservative side of things.  Tonight it sets at 4:55pm.
View Quote

In MT the fwp publish a sunrise / sunset table for different zones in the state.  Legal hours are based on that table - not any other source.  If the table says 8:08 am sunrise for your zone, but the real sunrise is 8:06 where you're standing  - legal is 8:08.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:12:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

No kidding.  

Last year I passed up a shot at a big ass doe because there was another doe right behind it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:17:18 PM EDT
[#35]
In the past I’ve read with a hint of jealousy the stories here of guys with access to vast areas of public land to shoot and hunt. At times I’ve wished I lived in such a place where it doesn’t cost a fortune to hunt like it does here in Texas.

Then I read stories like this and think, nah I’m good. I have enough problems with people on cell phones on public roads trying to kill me when I’m on my motorcycle. I don’t need to be shot at by those same people.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:29:32 PM EDT
[#36]
I'll chime in about the "no orange" comments:

-Years ago I lived in the bush in northern British Columbia, where I spent much of the time hunting and trapping.
-There was NO "hunter orange" requirement.
-I felt perfectly safe.

Here's the deal as I see it: Having a "hunter orange" law just gives permission for jackasses to shoot at anything that doesn't look like a pumpkin.
Hunting season here runs from mid-August through January. During that time there are plenty of people out and about, doing things OTHER than hunting.

On a lighter note:
Woman came out to visit Wyoming in the fall. When the lodge owner asked how she was enjoying her stay, she said "Wonderful. You are so considerate of visitors. You make all the drunks wear orange."
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:52:40 PM EDT
[#37]
"Smith was not wearing any orange hunting gear when his father mistook him for a deer"

I've heard of too many accidents over not wearing a vest..

WTF is the resistance in wearing a vest?
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:55:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Stay calm there guy, I'm pretty sure the straight-walled cartridge comment was a joke, because it would be illegal to hunt deer or your son with a bottleneck cartridge in Ohio.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I realize that now,sorry. A lot of us IA straightwall hunters are pretty keyed up over new restrictions DNR is trying to ram down our throats, and trying to ban calibers that have been legal 25 years.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:56:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Nearby here, holdover had some hunting dogs lost at their house.  They called the owners in the tags well came by to get them.

While making small talk they asked about any luck hunting.  The hunters said they had some does get away but did shoot some Chinese food.  The owners were shown pictures, turns out the hunters were fucking around and shot the owners cat.

They went out and recovered it, sheriff's office is now investigating them.  I don't like cats but I wouldn't illegally kill one, especially not for fun.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 1:09:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
"Smith was not wearing any orange hunting gear when his father mistook him for a deer"

I've heard of too many accidents over not wearing a vest..

WTF is the resistance in wearing a mask?
View Quote

Fixed it for you
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 1:10:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Not many years ago, a dad shot his kid. He was so grief stricken he killed himself. The kid lived, only to find out his dad killed himself.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 1:20:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Absolutely. We had something similar here in MI a while back. Moron almost hit a cyclist during bow season. Fired at something moving (with a bow) without considering the fact that he was within arrow range of a well known biking trail.

Who takes a potshot at an unidentified moving target while hunting with a bow?
View Quote

To be fair, cyclist season should be year round with no bag limits.  Such nuisance critters
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 1:27:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

In our state you would get some assault and manslaughter type charges.   Recklessly discharging a firearm when you know or should know based on your required training not to shoot late.   I can see ten minutes of usable light on some days.  45 minutes after sunset......it was way too damned dark and orange ceases to standout in the dark.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 1:29:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

He fucking killed his own son.  Living with that is infinitely worse than any criminal charges like your "poaching" for shooting after dark offense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He fucking killed his own son.  Living with that is infinitely worse than any criminal charges like your "poaching" for shooting after dark offense.

And usually what the DA takes in to consideration.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This.    I don't even know how you come back from something like that.

My first CHL class, I took from an ex-police officer, whose 4 year old kid gained access to his service weapon and killed herself playing with it.  He turned into a broken shell of a man when he told the story.  It had been years but you could see the burden he carried.

Now imagine you are the one who pulled the trigger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn. I can't imagine the grief the father must feel.

This.    I don't even know how you come back from something like that.

My first CHL class, I took from an ex-police officer, whose 4 year old kid gained access to his service weapon and killed herself playing with it.  He turned into a broken shell of a man when he told the story.  It had been years but you could see the burden he carried.

Now imagine you are the one who pulled the trigger.

I worked with a hunter ed instructor that shot his own son after wounding a deer, son went to work around the island of brush the deer went into.   Guy being amped up shot at what he thought was the deer driven back out.   His son lived.    He gave up hunting and instructing knowing how badly he screwed up.  He got back into it after about 8 years,  even the instructing using himself as what not to do and how you need to slow down and not fool yourself.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 1:36:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
A long time deer hunter gave me the advise to ALWAYS use a flashlight when moving near dark and during darkness.  Deer never have lights.
View Quote

Intelligent advice.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 1:37:42 PM EDT
[#47]
I remember being flabbergasted as a kid the first time I heard a hunter discussing "bush shots" i.e. hearing a noise and shooting into the bushes to see if you could hit something

Of course when I took the Hunter's Safety Course I was too young and still got the highest test score in the class
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 1:45:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Its terrible and awful but also realize this wasn't a law abiding family. Son was breaking the law and not practicing common sense by NOT wearing orange. The family was careless and it bit them.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I just passed up on what I believed was a nice big bodied doe but it was too dark for a positive ID and ethical shot. Sucks for the son.
View Quote

Good call.   Had one case.  About an hour after legal sunset one hunter shoots another hunter coming out across an open field to his car.  Guy was wearing orange but at that point it is useless.  Guy screams out, screams for help, shooter comes up, talks to him, says he will call 911 and get help and goes back to his car......and leaves him there.   No 911 call.   Victim called his wife or mother, I forget and ended up dying laying there in the field with no EMS on the way until the lady called....too late.  Spine, liver and spleen shot.

Had another case similar with that depraved indifference but he lived.   That guy faked a 911 call and walked off.

watch yourself, make your own 911 calls.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 1:54:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Good god...fucking moron. I never thought I could so profoundly disdain someone and feel so sorry for them at the same time

I have killed exactly 4 deer in my life and used exactly 4 rounds to do so. It’s unfathomable to me that anyone with the requisite neural complexity to operate a bolt could be so fucking stupid as to shoot at an unidentified target.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top