User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:26:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Long-defunct accounts shilled the covid vax
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:27:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Typically don’t have a lot to say.

If someone posts a topic/question that’s part of my profession I’ll definitely engage.

But as far as opinions, it’s the internet. The folks who share my opinion don’t really need a +1 and the folks I disagree with won’t be swayed by me, a random stranger on the internet.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:30:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Age of the account holder and the change in views?  When I started posting here, I probably never had much of an opinion or was very naive on politics and thought Bush was a good guy and saw things much differently than I do now.

15 to 20 years can change a person's outlook and make a guy very salty and jaded.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:32:56 AM EDT
[#4]
If you don't post for 30 days, Brownell's will put your account up for sale.

Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:35:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Long-defunct accounts shilled the covid vax
View Quote

and Biden too.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:36:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Old accounts getting hacked.

This.

Nope, not even close kid.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:38:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm sorta Guilty of the accusation but for 2013, and I can explain exactly how it happened for me.

I joined in ~2001, my password was tied to my internet providers email service. At some point I changed providers and I upgraded computers.
At that point I lost my password and no longer had access to the required email to reset it; moreover asking for mod help back in the early days would often go unanswered. So I surfed in silence and just observed for years, which wasn't an issue as I had already said most everything that needed to be said in regards to AR's back then.

2013 rolled in along with the new Obama ban attempts, I got active again and I tried to have may account restored but had no luck (heck I'd still like my original account back).
If I had had luck I would have looked like an old account that was once again active. Some of what you are seeing is undoubtedly some function of what I went through.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:39:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hacked, or just accounts set up by political operatives who only start posting when elections draw near?
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:40:59 AM EDT
[#9]
The sleepers got woke..
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:42:13 AM EDT
[#10]
OP, who you calling OLD ACCOUNT?!?!
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:46:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Agreed - how would you even guess the password etc

Then the first time the proper account holder notices, he has a mod do a password reset or whatever.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:46:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Mom finally kicked me out of the basement and things are different now that I have to make my own sandwiches.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:51:36 AM EDT
[#13]
It's pretty hilarious so many of you think there's so many people out there with the time and inclination to hack accounts and come in here with some grand scheme to accomplish something malicious.

If anybody is doing something like that they are automating it on Twitter or Facebook and a bunch of other places.  What you get here are the boomers who got activated and are now under the influence of those operations.

Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:51:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
"Miles to go before you sleep, Yuri...miles to go before you sleep"

I've noticed this, too

BTW: I've got a 20+ year badge for sale to the highest bidder....less than 5-digits, don't waste my time.
I know what I've got
View Quote

Those EE sales and that 100% feedback gotta be pure gold...
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#15]
My account has not been hacked or sold.
I would bet the majority of old posters suddenly posting, are situations similar to mine. Just fed up with everything going on and needed somewhere to vent.

This place used to be a refuge for like minded people. It was a tight community. We could bounce ideas or thoughts off of each other. I began back in 1999. But had to create a new account a few years later.

It doesn’t appear to be the same place for the last couple of years. Most people are on the attack now.  I guess all good things come to an end.

I will go back to lurking.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:52:32 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm an old account with a low post count.  I read the forum everyday, but I rarely post.  I do like to see differing opinions on random topics.

It seems that a lot of posts tend to appeal to people's emotions instead of logic, so I just get entertainment out of reading people's reactions to the posts here.  Some people respond with logic, and some respond with emotion.  Both can be telling.  And I think that it gives me good information on what is going on in the world.  That's helpful since I do my best not to watch TV or listen to news on the radio.

What's more interesting is how the site has changed.  Seems there used to be a lot more interesting posts, and some downright crazy shit posted here--crazy in a good way.  Humorous, playful, and ridiculous.  People took things in stride until they didn't; then they headed to the pit.

There's a lot more purse swinging now.  And along with that comes the pearl-clutching and fainting couches.  And there seems to be fewer posts these days. Page 1 seemed to scroll a lot quicker not so long ago.

Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:54:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
BOT Farms in Russia and Iran.  Those Drone attacks in Moscow were mostly aimed at BOT Farms.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-43093390
View Quote

Also JIDF. It's done by all sides. Just imagine what our govt has as well.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:56:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OP, who you calling OLD ACCOUNT?!?!
View Quote
YOU PEOPLE
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:59:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm an old account with a low post count.  I read the forum everyday, but I rarely post.  I do like to see differing opinions on random topics.

It seems that a lot of posts tend to appeal to people's emotions instead of logic, so I just get entertainment out of reading people's reactions to the posts here.  Some people respond with logic, and some respond with emotion.  Both can be telling.  And I think that it gives me good information on what is going on in the world.  That's helpful since I do my best not to watch TV or listen to news on the radio.

What's more interesting is how the site has changed.  Seems there used to be a lot more interesting posts, and some downright crazy shit posted here--crazy in a good way.  Humorous, playful, and ridiculous.  People took things in stride until they didn't; then they headed to the pit.

There's a lot more purse swinging now.  And along with that comes the pearl-clutching and fainting couches.  And there seems to be fewer posts these days. Page 1 seemed to scroll a lot quicker not so long ago.

View Quote

Couldn’t agree more
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:59:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Mom finally kicked me out of the basement and things are different now that I have to make my own sandwiches.
View Quote

Quoted:
My account has not been hacked or sold.
I would bet the majority of old posters suddenly posting, are situations similar to mine. Just fed up with everything going on and needed somewhere to vent.

This place used to be a refuge for like minded people. It was a tight community. We could bounce ideas or thoughts off of each other. I began back in 1999. But had to create a new account a few years later.

It doesn’t appear to be the same place for the last couple of years. Most people are on the attack now.  I guess all good things come to an end.

I will go back to lurking.
View Quote

Quoted:

View Quote

Seems you missed the key part of the OP.

suddenly posting heavily in political type threads.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 12:03:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
OP, who you calling OLD ACCOUNT mother fucker?!?!
View Quote
Yes. Vintage arfcom is back!

Link Posted: 10/22/2023 12:10:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Life changing events left me with time on my hands...
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 12:10:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm sorry but can you explain this reasoning? Like the types that parrot the "shill" narrative?

I've seen it posted countless time and don't understand the benefit of "hacking" an old account.

Like a majority of accounts with limited activity, they haven't done EE transactions.

So what exactly is the purpose to "hack" and old account? If they're not trying to sell/buy products, who cares??

Or are you one of the types that thinks there is government agents "hacking" an old gun message forum trying to infiltrate it?

As if there is not thousands of other social media formats discussing guns and the same topics.

Like some old dude that goes to IHOP and makes sure to get a window seat to watch his car in the parking lot thinking someone is going to steal or mess with it.

During the entire conversation he constantly talks about keeping an eye on the car because of infiltrators.

But in reality, not a single person even notices the cars or gives it a second thought.

Link Posted: 10/22/2023 12:13:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Seems you missed the key part of the OP.

View Quote
This is a good example of what goes on in GED now.

Why can't guys just have a conversation without other guys jumping in with little to no contribution?  Just a low-value comment like this.  What's the purpose?  What does it contribute?

I realize that it does make a post count go up, which kind of points out that a higher post count can't really be used to deem someone a "contributing" member.

Interesting.  Doesn't really seem to make the site a better place, though.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 12:14:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Then the first time the proper account holder notices, he has a mod do a password reset or whatever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Weak passwords, compromised email accounts, password reuse on other sites, passwords compromised in data leaks, half dozen other methods of getting credentials for unused accounts from a decade or two ago.  Your assumption is that the person operating the account is the original account holder and in control of the email address used to register the account.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#27]
I was a friend of Waynes.  (ETH)  I was just here for Hun Farm shenanigans.

If I have something to add to a thread, I'll chime in.  Otherwise just here for news and the lunacy of GD.

Loosen up that foil and get some sunshine, OP.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 12:19:40 PM EDT
[#28]
All I know is that if you've seen any of my posts before, you'll know if my account has been hacked when new posts suddenly stop reading like authentic frontier gibberish.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 12:20:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My former roommate was a low account ID Slashdot user (less than 100). He sold his account for $2k some years back to someone who wanted to use it for influence. There was some sort of ebay-like market place for it. He got tired of the woke BS and sold his prized account.

My point is selling "influential" accounts is actually a thing. Just like chinese scammers "selling" NYC area code phone numbers for FAX machines to use back in the day.
View Quote

And due to aged accounts with reputation having value, there's an entire business built
around account farming as well. Some do it better than others, e.g. not using consistent_formats
for usernames. (Present company excluded, of course! )

The crap I found during the tracking pixel episode lead to me assume 10-25% of all postings on
every messaging platform are psyops of one form or another. On smaller platforms that percentage
can be much, much higher.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 12:20:40 PM EDT
[#30]
My son is now to "old" to want to hang out with dad, my wife died , and trolling the internet is about all I have energy for these days. Life sucks.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 12:25:57 PM EDT
[#31]
You can log in by using your email.
Often people use the same password for everything.
Find the email and password in one of the dark net databases of leaks.
Brute force till you find a nut.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 12:26:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The sleepers got woke..
View Quote
This .  I'm deaf so I didn't understand my activation phrase .
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#33]
I've pondered it for years, particularly the ones that do a complete personality change:

Accounts outright hacked. Although somewhere along the line someone would have noticed their account was hijacked and started a thread on it (after starting a new account)

Children that are now teens that took over dads account.

The account holders now feel the climate is safe for them to reveal that they were enemies contrarians all along.

Who knows

But yeah, it's noticeable.

Link Posted: 10/22/2023 12:31:59 PM EDT
[#34]
I tend to read a lot, but rarely have much to say.  Not surprisingly, I’m like that in real life as well.   Not here for the politics, not hacked, and have always enjoyed reading along and learning where I can.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 12:33:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Boredom, retirement, unemployment, or plain old fuckery.
View Quote

Yep!

Link Posted: 10/22/2023 12:34:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Low post count checking in.

I don't post much, and enjoy the GD trainwreck. I've posted more recently because I'm tired of the unchecked stupid opinions or mis-information; it's ruining this website.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 12:34:39 PM EDT
[#37]
I may fit into this category, but I don't think I have posted in any political threads. When I joined, I did not choose a user name wisely and chose one that had my real name in it. (Thank you staff for the user name change tool.) I was even a paying member for years before I changed it and started posting.
My account has not been hacked or sold, that is some straight up paranoid thinking in my opinion. Also, I figured that since I am from California, nobody gives a shit what I have to think, even though I loathe Democrats and liberals in general. At least I have to balls to show where I'm from.
I have a little more time on my hands lately and really care less of what people think about me or my location. If I have something positive or constructive to add to a conversation I will.
Over the last couple years I have noticed quite a few good, long time members banned for one reason or another. Mostly because they fell into a trap set by thin skinned new members who cry to the mods when they feel insulted. These are the members I would be more concerned about, since the site has seemingly taken a turn for the worse because of them.

Link Posted: 10/22/2023 12:34:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

It definitely changed as you said, seeking headlines and stirring emotions vs a largely fact based place where the truth prevailed.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 12:37:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
YOU PEOPLE
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
YOU PEOPLE

Link Posted: 10/22/2023 12:38:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/22/2023 12:40:13 PM EDT
[#41]
i didn’t post in GD or Team until the pandemic    even then my amount of posting is really really low

i feel like i post a ton now compared to how much i used to and i don’t know that i’ll ever get to 5000   how people have 10s of thousands of posts baffles me  

Link Posted: 10/22/2023 12:40:46 PM EDT
[#42]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
YOU PEOPLE

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/seinfeld_notwrong-174.gif

Link Posted: 10/22/2023 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
i didn't post in GD or Team until the pandemic    even then my amount of posting is really really low

i feel like i post a ton now compared to how much i used to and i don't know that i'll ever get to 5000   how people have 10s of thousands of posts baffles me  

View Quote
Join the LivePD thread, chat with people on what's happening.  Watch post count grow to embarrassing number.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 12:43:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm sorta Guilty of the accusation but for 2013, and I can explain exactly how it happened for me.

I joined in ~2001, my password was tied to my internet providers email service. At some point I changed providers and I upgraded computers.
At that point I lost my password and no longer had access to the required email to reset it; moreover asking for mod help back in the early days would often go unanswered. So I surfed in silence and just observed for years, which wasn't an issue as I had already said most everything that needed to be said in regards to AR's back then.

2013 rolled in along with the new Obama ban attempts, I got active again and I tried to have may account restored but had no luck (heck I'd still like my original account back).
If I had had luck I would have looked like an old account that was once again active. Some of what you are seeing is undoubtedly some function of what I went through.
View Quote
Nobody notices stuff like this.

It's jumping back in and burning through another 15% of post count on a rehash of the George Zimmerman trial or Matt Gaetz legal trouble in a matter of hours that gets noticed. If things like this didn't happen all the damn time, nobody would care.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#45]
long march through the institution.

Link Posted: 10/22/2023 12:46:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 12:46:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
For a while I have noticed OLD ACCOUNTS with low post counts suddenly posting heavily in political type threads.
View Quote
+1 guys with a 1000 to 3000 posts across 10 to 20 years all of a sudden posting in controversial threads opinions that don't fit our group.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 12:47:56 PM EDT
[#48]
I am not a bot, lol. I used to go to GAHunter95's shoots way, way, way out east of Atlanta in the late 2000s.

Seriously, stop living in fear.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 12:52:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I am not a bot, lol. I used to go to GAHunter95's shoots way, way, way out east of Atlanta in the late 2000s.

Seriously, stop living in fear.
View Quote
Hmmmmm.....What am I afraid of?  Help me to understand.

I would also point out that 90+% of those posting in here are not the names I am seeing in those political threads I was referring to.  

But anyway, yea, wondering what I am living in fear of?  You could really help me out and cheaper than therapy if you could answer the question I didnt even know needed to be asked.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 12:58:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Wow. Selling user accounts. What will they think of next?

Double digit user account here. Think I can get $10k for it?
View Quote

I hear that a lifer account goes over $15K.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top