Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 12:06:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Let's bring em back!!
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 12:24:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The perfect vehicle for a teenager or young adult.

"Get a haircut, straighten up, fly right or I'll kick you out of my house".

"Fine, I'll just live in my van".

Living in a van down by the river didn't have the same cache then as it does today.

I still see these things around, usually parked in driveways and carports.
View Quote

"You get a Goddamned job by sundown; or we're shipping your ass off to military school. Like the God damned Finklestein, shit, kid! Son of a bitch!"
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 12:26:35 AM EDT
[#3]
"staben cabin".
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 12:43:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Most of what was fashionable in the 70s was merely the commercialization of 60s hippie stuff, vans included. Back in the late 1960s and early 70s, lots of young people really DID just hit the road in their vans and just went wherever they felt like. If they needed money, there was always some kind of work to be had. believe those days are pretty much gone for young people.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 12:53:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 1:09:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Let's bring em back!!
View Quote

Unrestored "survivor" 70s vans are kind of an underground thing here in California. I have seen several being driven by guys that weren't even born yet when they were trendy.

I would love to build one of Krieger's vans.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 1:13:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
http://www.cvltnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/img_5535.jpg

My favs were always the viking, aztec or space warrior with a big titty naked chic.
View Quote

I had one like this. 66 chevy, but it never looked like that! It was an old doughnut delivery van in the GM forest service green. Spudnuts, still had the faded painted on graphics, complete with pin up girl. Dubed it "the Spud van" It was a 6cyl 3 on the tree. I found some old slot mags for it and a vintage 70 Mustang rear spoiler on the back. This was late 80's. (Ford guys would often express their displeasure seeing the spoiler off a Mach l on a beater van) You could tricycle it around corners when you cranked it hard. It was fun.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 1:28:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I just drive a van.  I have a place to fuck your sister.

/Ron White. \\

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 1:31:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Gotta admit, I'm one of the guilty old fahts that was there during the van heyday! My van started out as a new '73 E300 window van. I installed shag carpet, paneling, and a bed across the back. I was probably one of the first people east of the Mississippi to install chrome mirror tint on all of the windows! The only option I wanted that I didn't have, was 4x4. They definitely deserve the rep as pussy wagons! Great memories! I traded it for a '78 Bronco with custom interior, wheels, and mural that would have looked good on my old van. Finally got the 4x4 I'd been wanting.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 1:35:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I remember my dad's.He got rid of it when I was about 6.

We upgraded to a new dodge van with clear windows in the back. Was my mom's grocery getter, and eventually, I drove it to high school for awhile, by then it was a complete POS.

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 1:39:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I remember my dad's.He got rid of it when I was about 6.

We upgraded to a new dodge van with clear windows in the back. Was my mom's grocery getter, and eventually, I drove it to high school for awhile, by then it was a complete POS.

View Quote

It was a Dodge.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 1:39:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Most of what was fashionable in the 70s was merely the commercialization of 60s hippie stuff, vans included. Back in the late 1960s and early 70s, lots of young people really DID just hit the road in their vans and just went wherever they felt like. If they needed money, there was always some kind of work to be had. believe those days are pretty much gone for young people.
View Quote

I had an old 21 window VW with a futon in it in the 90's, I spent the better part of a year living out of it after I burned up my GI bill, made some money cooking at concerts and working odd jobs, mostly spent time in national parks and on beaches, was using a Bally's membership for showers too.

Was a great experience. Having a legitimate bed with no setup time is nice.

I'd love an AWD Sienna based campmobile. I have to do the RV thing one summer before my kids are teens, actually seems like a great time for that with gas cheap again.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 1:45:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

One of my cousins and her husband were quasi-hippies, and took several trips in their van from their home in Portland OR to visit us here in Texas.

It looked like this, but still had factory paint.

They saw a lot of the US in it, and had some wonderful times.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 4:00:53 AM EDT
[#14]
No way in hell I'm letting my daughter set foot in one of those vans.

I'm buying one for my son.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 4:55:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Guy in the neighborhood had one covered in black outdoor carpet. That thing had weigh another 1000lbs in the rain.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 5:06:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
A Willys "Woody" was the cool thing to have when I was a teenager.

http://www.oldwoodies.com/img/truck/willyswagon.jpg

The body was steel, though. Real Woodys were hard to come by because the Californians snapped them all up.
View Quote

My buddy had a 62..of course by the time we gutted it to the outer skin and built a tube chassis, 44's and a big block..it looked a bit more then stock...
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 6:21:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I've been seeing a few more of them lately. Unfortunately, I think so many of them were killed off by the high scrap prices and cash for clunkers etc. that there just aren't many left. It's been forever since I've seen a nice Dodge Street Van.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
With dirt-cheap gas prices, I'm kind of surprised we haven't seen a resurgence in their popularity.

Instead, I see yoots still driving around in Civics with fart-cans...

Car guy I know says they are starting to come back. I dunno.

I've been seeing a few more of them lately. Unfortunately, I think so many of them were killed off by the high scrap prices and cash for clunkers etc. that there just aren't many left. It's been forever since I've seen a nice Dodge Street Van.

Mine is not "nice" but its a start....needs pipes and alcoas to start.

speed
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 6:41:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Google Image Search: "put a Dodge in your garage".  

NSFW (brief nudity, adult content, viewer discretion is advised).  
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 7:00:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Google Image Search: "put a Dodge in your garage".  

NSFW (brief nudity, adult content, viewer discretion is advised).  
View Quote

LOL, awesome

speed
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 8:23:16 AM EDT
[#20]
I once worked with two people who each drove over 50 miles FROM OPPOSITE DIRECTIONS to get to work each day. They became lovers but the company parking lot was the only convenient place for them to hook up. So, he bought his older brothers party van and everyday after work that van was a rocking . This went on for a few years before they decided to just move in together.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 8:50:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Me and one of my older Brothers built a number of those vans back in those days.  We made money on everyone of them.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 2:30:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I recall taking all items off the middle console to get to the engine.
View Quote

Yeh, wrenching on anything in the engine compartment was an absolute bitch.

Nissan (of all people!) currently sells a full-sized van with the entire engine under the front hood - where it belongs.

And, it's available with a decent-sized V8.

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 2:47:15 AM EDT
[#23]
This was awesome ,I think I watched it on Netflix last summer,or Amazon Prime maybe.

What does appeal to me are Dajibans,the Japanese taking US surplus Dodge vans and making them track worthy...because radiation and not getting lovin'

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 3:19:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Back in the day Corpus Christi had a few vans converted to 4WD, to use for fishing at Big Shell and Little Shell beaches.

We were driving a 69 VW bus but I loved the real offroad vans.

Those were the days.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top