BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 10:06:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, which was founded in 1906 at Cornell University and whose membership includes civil rights leaders Martin Luther King Jr. and Thurgood Marshall, announced the convention's relocation from Orlando on Wednesday.

"Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. moves 2025 General Convention from Orlando, Fla., due to Gov. DeSantis' harmful, racist and insensitive policies against the Black community. Please share."

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2023/07/26/florida-alpha-phi-alpha-moves-convention/8461690416956/

I hear Baltimore is nice.
View Quote

I’m actually surprised they don’t hold their convention or conclave in New Orleans like every other fraternity does.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 10:08:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fake news. Prince Hall is the oldest Black fraternity. It allows others to join too though so I guess it’s not racially segregated enough.

Isn’t a black fraternity itself racist?

It’s all racist. Racy.
View Quote

I knew white guys in a black fraternity so it isn’t totally segregated, but it’s more of an exception than a rule.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 10:11:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I’m sure Florida will survive.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 10:15:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, which was founded in 1906 at Cornell University and whose membership includes civil rights leaders Martin Luther King Jr. and Thurgood Marshall, announced the convention's relocation from Orlando on Wednesday.

View Quote

MLK huh? Pretty ironic that "judging people by the content of their character, and not the color of their skin" is now seen as a "racist policy", by a fraternity apparently filled with a bunch of racists.

Good riddance.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 10:16:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Do black fraternity pledges still get branded with a hot iron when they do their initiation ceremony?
View Quote

Yes, they all have their own brand symbol and most of the members get them.

I don’t believe they are part of the actual initiation, but are done soon afterwards.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 10:18:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What are the perceived wrong doings of DeSantis against the black community?  Sounds vague, political and cunty
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
What are the perceived wrong doings of DeSantis against the black community?  Sounds vague, political and cunty

Of the 100+ points regarding black history, the following is the one complained of.

Examine the various duties and trades performed by slaves (e.g., agricultural work, painting, carpentry, tailoring, domestic service, blacksmithing, [and] transportation). With the clarification: Instruction includes how slaves developed skills which, in some instances, could be applied for their personal benefit.

I'm scratching my head here. Which party freed the slaves? Which one filibustered the civil right act? Which politician vocalized fear of a "racial jungle"? What party was MLK? What party was the KKK? How did Hollywood treat blacks/indians historically? (They weren't even played by black people).

You ain't black!

Short video of Dr. William Allen's response to Harris comments. He is a black academic that help create the new standards. This portion of the interview was not aired on ABC. Weird, eh?

https://www.foxnews.com/media/florida-black-history-academic-shreds-harris-categorically-false-claims-unaired-abc-news-interview
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 10:20:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Alpha Phi Alpha we do all the steppin' !
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 10:20:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Crime stats going down.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 10:21:22 AM EDT
[#9]
That's like 10's of dollars in tips lost...

Damn you RON!!
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 10:21:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I knew white guys in a black fraternity so it isn’t totally segregated, but it’s more of an exception than a rule.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fake news. Prince Hall is the oldest Black fraternity. It allows others to join too though so I guess it’s not racially segregated enough.

It’s all racist. Racy.

Phi Beta Sigma had a white chapter president at Ole Miss in the early 2000s.

We joked that he was the chapter president because he was the only chapter member that paid dues.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 10:22:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It’s all racist. Racy.
View Quote

Meh, while Freemasonry is a fraternity, when most people hear “fraternity”, they think of college greek letter groups.

The “traditionally” or “historically” black fraternities will take non blacks from time to time. This can also vary from chapter to chapter.

When I was in college the black fraternities were pretty insignificant. Their membership number were so low, I have no idea how they even stayed open. The fraternity I was in, if our numbers were that low, our HQ would have closed us.

There was one white side that joined one of the black fraternities, and of course he looked like a bootleg wannabe Eminem.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 10:26:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Of the 100+ points regarding black history, the following is the one complained of.

I'm scratching my head here. Which party freed the slaves? Which one filibustered the civil right act? Which politician vocalized fear of a "racial jungle"? What party was MLK? What party was the KKK? How did Hollywood treat blacks/indians historically? (They weren't even played by black people).

You ain't black!

Short video of Dr. William Allen's response to Harris comments. He is a black academic that help create the new standards. This portion of the interview was not aired on ABC. Weird, eh?

https://www.foxnews.com/media/florida-black-history-academic-shreds-harris-categorically-false-claims-unaired-abc-news-interview
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Examine the various duties and trades performed by slaves (e.g., agricultural work, painting, carpentry, tailoring, domestic service, blacksmithing, [and] transportation). With the clarification: Instruction includes how slaves developed skills which, in some instances, could be applied for their personal benefit.

You ain't black!

Who used the hard r n word in Clarence Thomas's confirmation hearing
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 10:26:22 AM EDT
[#13]
This is tragic.  

Restaurants near the convention center probably expect this group, annually, and rely on the generous tipping to supplement their income.  

This is a major blow to the local waitstaff.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 10:27:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Funny
A racist fraternity bitching about racism.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 10:27:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 10:28:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

We joked that he was the chapter president because he was the only chapter member that paid dues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s all racist. Racy.

When I was in college, the black fraternities on campus had such low membership numbers, I don’t know how they even functioned or stayed open. I did hear one time that they couldn’t even fill their officer positions and would have to have members from nearby schools or alumni fill those positions in order to do initiations.

Link Posted: 7/27/2023 10:30:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 10:30:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They did when I worked at a HBCU a few years ago.
View Quote

Kappa Alpha Psi and Omega Phi Psi did
They also beat their pledges and got away with it. One pledge got broken ribs and they still skated.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 12:05:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
they're ones to talk.  Pretty much the most racist group of people I've ever been forced to work with.
View Quote

This.  We have a lovely chapter of winners due to proximity to Prairie View A&M University, a rubber stamp HBC.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 12:08:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Maybe it will go the way of Freaknick?
View Quote

I have not heard that name in a long time.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top