Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 10:14:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

And the engineers were real good at re doing the roads to make the gravel loose instead of packed.   That’s always appreciated when your walking with your pack.  I honestly drove everywhere at Drum unless I was hunting.  Now at LeJeune I got to enjoy the engineers work with the freshly churned  soft sand roads as a foot slogging machine gunner.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 10:16:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My dad was 10th Mtn in WWII. Fought through the mountains of Italy. If he were still with us, I shudder to imagine what he would think of this shit.
View Quote

My father as well, 85E.
My father generally didn’t swear much or show a lot of emotion.
Somehow I think he would break from character on this one.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 10:20:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Back in the early 80s the Army was going to expand and create two Light Divisions.  The 7th ID  "Crushed Beer Can" out in Calif and another light division TBD.

Due to the political pull of the old Ski Troopers the newest LI division would be re-flagged as the 10th Mountain Division (LI).  A lot of those old ski troopers had lots of $$ and political pull.

Due to the political power of the NY congressional delegation.  Governor, both senators and upstate congress criters---this new LI division would be stationed in upstate NY at "Camp Drum."  That area was very economically depressed and needed the influx of $$.  The stationing of the 10th was entirely political/economic and had nothing to do with readiness.

as a result of the politics and in a deliberate effort to spread the Govt cheese throughout the region Ft Drum was not allowed to build a hospital nor on-post schools.  So as to spread out that demand onto the local economy.  Ft Drum was not allowed to build sufficient On-Post housing to house all its incoming families.  Rather the govt built out-laying housing areas throughout the region---then termed "801 Housing" for House Bill 801 which funded the endeavor.   This put enclaves of Soldiers and their families all throughout the surrounding region.

It was horrible.  When we deployed my wife would get calls from some young wife in 801 housing up near Canada that had a doctors appointment.  But her husband had driven the family car into work on the alert and now she was trapped in her 801 apartment but had a doctor's appointment down in Watertown.  So my wife would have to drive up to get her and drive her to her Dr. appointment.

I loved the unit; the Soldiers; the mission--but Ft Drum sucked  :-(

Climb To Glory!
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 10:24:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Very Nice!

One time we (2nd Brigade) were doing external evaluation of a 1st Brigade infantry battalion. 2-22 INF if i recall correctly.  One desperately cold night they were to do a "Infiltration Attack" where they'd break down to platoon level to infiltrate the objective area and then form back up to strike the target at dawn.  Just like the French and Indian War.     Anywhoo.  I was evaluating one of the rifle companies and this nimrod decided he was going to have his platoons infiltrate right through this giant assed swamp.  His figuring was "No one will expect us to go thru the swamp in this weather."    You're goddamn right buddy

Man what a horrible horrible night.   I infiltrated with the company Hq element and one of their platoons.   So around 0200 we're standing in waist deep water, stopped while some asshole up front is making a compass check (this is well before GPS).  So we're standing there in waist deep water while it gently snows on us in the bitter cold night.  

Suddenly, i hear a commotion behind me.  Someone is sloshing up the line of Mountain Troopers--cursing as he comes up.   This guy grabs my rucksack and jerks me around to peer at my face in the dark.    "Who the fuck are you?"    so i tell him  "I'm captain H--who the fuck are you; and let go of my fucking ruck!"    Guy lets go of my ruck and says   "I'm Colonel Keane, 1st brigade commander---where is the captain in charge of this cluster fuck?"     So I tell him.   "Right up there sir  three people up from us"   So colonel Keane sloshed on up to this dumbass captain and i could hear him chewing him out up there in that dark swamp.    We very quickly exited the swamp.  Went admin.  Lit fires.  Put on dry clothes and warmed back up.

Colonel Keane had heard about this dumbass and himself marched into the swamp that night to find us and extract his Soldiers from that horrible situation.  God Bless that man.

*ETA   COL Keane went on to four stars and retired as vice chief of the Army.  Every time i see him on Fox news i think of that night

Climb to Glory!
View Quote

Some dumb ass was watching too much Spencer Tracy in Northwest Passage and was trying to do Roger’s Rangers stuff.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 10:53:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Back in the early 80s the Army was going to expand and create two Light Divisions.  The 7th ID  "Crushed Beer Can" out in Calif and another light division TBD.

Due to the political pull of the old Ski Troopers the newest LI division would be re-flagged as the 10th Mountain Division (LI).  A lot of those old ski troopers had lots of $$ and political pull.

Due to the political power of the NY congressional delegation.  Governor, both senators and upstate congress criters---this new LI division would be stationed in upstate NY at "Camp Drum."  That area was very economically depressed and needed the influx of $$.  The stationing of the 10th was entirely political/economic and had nothing to do with readiness.

as a result of the politics and in a deliberate effort to spread the Govt cheese throughout the region Ft Drum was not allowed to build a hospital nor on-post schools.  So as to spread out that demand onto the local economy.  Ft Drum was not allowed to build sufficient On-Post housing to house all its incoming families.  Rather the govt built out-laying housing areas throughout the region---then termed "801 Housing" for House Bill 801 which funded the endeavor.   This put enclaves of Soldiers and their families all throughout the surrounding region.

It was horrible.  When we deployed my wife would get calls from some young wife in 801 housing up near Canada that had a doctors appointment.  But her husband had driven the family car into work on the alert and now she was trapped in her 801 apartment but had a doctor's appointment down in Watertown.  So my wife would have to drive up to get her and drive her to her Dr. appointment.

I loved the unit; the Soldiers; the mission--but Ft Drum sucked  :-(

Climb To Glory!
View Quote

I recall folks living in Govamanure (aka Governeur), Harrisville, Deferiet, Sackets and Henderson.  

I don’t recall any too far in to St. Lawrence county.   My experience with the area didn’t start until the later 90’s though.

Now if you mean A Bay to Cape Vincent to Lyme and Brownville then yes there were rentals all over.  Most of them were rubbish housing with a quick lame refresh.  They should not have been acceptable to the army......but they were of course no other options.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 11:02:42 AM EDT
[#6]
well the whole sad endeavor is up "near Canada"   I mean there were housing areas north of Drum--which is nearer to Canada.   We lived in 801 housing right on the outskirts of Watertown.  Brand new.  We were first occupants.  It was cheaply made.  No idea how that 801 housing has fared in the harsh environment over the years but I'd hazard a guess the answer is "not well"

Having been stationed at Ft Drum---and then at Ft Polk (with the 509th) it was like getting opposite ends of a anal thermometer!

Climb to Glory

GERONIMO
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 11:31:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
well the whole sad endeavor is up "near Canada"   I mean there were housing areas north of Drum--which is nearer to Canada.   We lived in 801 housing right on the outskirts of Watertown.  Brand new.  We were first occupants.  It was cheaply made.  No idea how that 801 housing has fared in the harsh environment over the years but I'd hazard a guess the answer is "not well"

Having been stationed at Ft Drum---and then at Ft Polk (with the 509th) it was like getting opposite ends of a anal thermometer!

Climb to Glory

GERONIMO
View Quote

I grew up just outside Drum and still live relatively close, near A-Bay.  All that old 801 housing is now pretty much ghetto garbage, subsidized low income, etc.  They went on a wild housing expansion on base, and at one point, were even advertising housing on base available to non military types, although I'm not sure how that works, I haven't worked or been on the base in years.

I remember going to school with all the Drummies (military kids) and them always talking about how it was so weird to be living on a base that didn't have its own hospital or schools.  Granted, this was a benefit to us locals, although now as an adult, I see things a little differently, and I don't have the same insiders view of the unit and life on the base as military members do.  

I have one of those snowshoe plaques in my garage that was given to my mom when she retired as an Army civilian after 40 years.  They're made locally, first ones were made by people that lived down the road from us.  I don't think they're in business anymore though and lots of other places make them now too.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 11:33:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I still don't understand how the 10th mountain was selected for urban and beach operations in Somalia.

Not a comment on their performance there, but I would think it was outside of their specialty and that other troops would have been better suited.
View Quote

Idiot officer of their's just about tried to get me killed, for stupidity. I wasn't pleased.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 11:53:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I grew up just outside Drum and still live relatively close, near A-Bay.  All that old 801 housing is now pretty much ghetto garbage, subsidized low income, etc.  They went on a wild housing expansion on base, and at one point, were even advertising housing on base available to non military types, although I'm not sure how that works, I haven't worked or been on the base in years.

I remember going to school with all the Drummies (military kids) and them always talking about how it was so weird to be living on a base that didn't have its own hospital or schools.  Granted, this was a benefit to us locals, although now as an adult, I see things a little differently, and I don't have the same insiders view of the unit and life on the base as military members do.  

I have one of those snowshoe plaques in my garage that was given to my mom when she retired as an Army civilian after 40 years.  They're made locally, first ones were made by people that lived down the road from us.  I don't think they're in business anymore though and lots of other places make them now too.
View Quote

About what I'd expect.  Our son was born at the old catholic hospital in Watertown--Mercy?   They were much nicer to my wife than her first experience with our daughter at Martin Army on Ft Benning.  We went to mass downtown Watertown at Holy Family.   On the few sunny/warm days there used to be music concerts up at Jefferson Park?  There was a zoo up there and from down in our 801 housing you could sometimes hear the lion roaring up there!  Pretty cool.

It wasn't all doom and gloom in Watertown.    My one great regret is that i never went fly fishing while there.  We were just so busy back in those days with deployments and training and raising kids.  There is great fly trout fishing all around there.  I really regret missing out on that

take good care

Link Posted: 2/3/2024 12:14:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

About what I'd expect.  Our son was born at the old catholic hospital in Watertown--Mercy?   They were much nicer to my wife than her first experience with our daughter at Martin Army on Ft Benning.  We went to mass downtown Watertown at Holy Family.   On the few sunny/warm days there used to be music concerts up at Jefferson Park?  There was a zoo up there and from down in our 801 housing you could sometimes hear the lion roaring up there!  Pretty cool.

It wasn't all doom and gloom in Watertown.    My one great regret is that i never went fly fishing while there.  We were just so busy back in those days with deployments and training and raising kids.  There is great fly trout fishing all around there.  I really regret missing out on that

take good care

View Quote

Mercy hospital, yep.  It's a vacant lot now.  It was torn down in 2014, was supposed to be developed by Cor Development into apartments, office buildings and a shopping center.  Cor Development is the development firm that was caught conspiring with our illustrious former governor to rig bids for state sponsored construction projects.  I try to avoid Watertown as much as possible, drugs, crime, homeless, etc.  

I did some of my initial paramedic training at Mercy, though it was really falling apart around that time.  Once Drum partnered with SMC (Samaritan medical center) Mercy was just about finished.  I also ran with one of the local ambulance squads that backed up Ft. Drum ambulance at the time.  We were constantly going to Spinners and the other nightclub on base, can't remember the name, for assaults, blacked out drunks, etc.  Spinners was the first time I got to experience pepper spray .  We got called to check out a couple soldiers from 2-22 that had been fighting, and one got squirrely with the MP and he ended up getting blasted in the back of our rig .  That soldier was dropped off at our station first thing the following Monday by someone in his CoC and told he was to clean our ambulance until we were satisfied.  He told us that he spent the night in the PMO and I can imagine his Sunday wasn't pleasant either lol.

That's Thompson Park.  I think they still do the concerts up there with the 10th Mtn Div band, at least they did pre-COVID.  Its still a decent spot to take the kids during the day for the playground and splash pad, but now the Zoo is closed and the city is constantly fighting with the local criminal developer over the golf course, and after dark, it's know as Peeter Park, I'm sure you can guess why.

I look at Watertown these days like I used to look at Syracuse.  No way I'm going there unless absolutely necessary and if I do have to go, no way in hell I'm going unarmed.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 12:20:41 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

God. Dammit.

Link Posted: 2/3/2024 12:23:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was 10th Mountain

In fact i was the first 10th Mountain person to show up on Ft Benning  (Because that's where they activated 2nd Brigade---since Drum wasn't ready on 'new post')

There was a Division "activation" group up at Drum---and the first brigade to 'activate' was to be 2nd Brigade; down at Benning.

I was just a 1LT at the time and Benning didn't know what to do with me.  So they put me in a room in Splinter Village by the old pistol range with two telephones.  MG Carpenter would call me up each FRI and ask me  " Hey SteveH06 how is the division doing down there?"   I'd tell him   "everyone made the run today Sir!" and shit like that.

This was 1986 i guess.  I'd get a call to attend the G-3 range scheduling meeting at Benning main post.  There I'd be---a stupid 1LT--alongside experienced staff majors from the 197th, the Ranger Regiment, etc.   So, they'd turn to me and ask   "So LT H,  what do you think 10th Mountain will need in terms of ranges for training in the 2nd quarter of FY 07?"   I didn't have a fucking clue.  But that didn't stop me.   I'd say  "I think we'll need the following qualification ranges and the following training areas......."

fast forward a year and I'm a lowly captain on the brigade staff waiting for a rifle company to come open.  The brigade S-3 is looking at the ranges and training areas we're scheduled to occupy the coming quarter and he's aghast!?   Who the fuck scheduled us for this shit??      "I don't know Sir,  doesn't make much sense to me!"  ;-)

CARAVAN GUARD '89   First time 10th MTN returned to Europe.  We had to hide up in the woods and mountains so the mechanized forces wouldn't shit stomp us.   Good times

https://i.postimg.cc/44h22tKk/Donau-Valley.jpg

Climb To Glory
View Quote

When i first got to Benning we'd literally parachuted in from Panama into Camp Blanding--to work with the FL National Guard.  That ended my first tour in the Army and I got on the chute truck and drove up to Ft Benning to "Report In" to the 10th  Mountain

Well I got to the AG detachment [AG= Adjutant General, a Army branch responsible for personnel management] and this female AG officer told me  "We're not ready for 10th Mountain yet"  so I told her.  "No problem Ma'am  just assign me as black bird out to the Ranger Department and I'll wait there.  I only need a few more months on status to get my Senior Jump Wings."   Well unbeknownst to me, her husband had just failed out of Ranger School as a captain trying to get thru--she was not amused.  So she assigned me to Army Community Service to work on a Child Day Care Center project for Ft Benning.  

I was a sad panda

A few weeks later was the annual Infantry Conference at Benning.  So i went out to Red Cloud Range to watch the big show.  There is my brigade commander from Panama! who asks me "Hey Steve, how is life in the 10th Mountain?"   So i told him my tale of woe and he said "come here i want you to meet someone" and he yells out  "Hey Bill, you need to talk to this lieutenant"   Lo and behold it's MG "Napalm Bill" Carpenter.  The Lonesome End himself, Vietnam war hero and current commander of the activation cell for 10th Mountain up at Drum.  So MG Carpenter asked me how it was going down at Benning.  Again I told my tale of woe and how this female AG captain had fucked me over.

MG Carpenter turned to his aide and told him to "take a note"  then he turned to me and said  "What's that bitches name again?"   To which i promptly replied  "Nancy Jxxxxx, Sir"

The next Monday morning i got a phone call from Captain J, who was even less amused, but she informed me that i was now the first person officially assigned to 2nd Brigade, 10th Mountain on Ft Benning, GA.

Climb To Glory
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 12:25:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

take good care

View Quote

Salmon mostly but yea fall and winter brown trout was great!  Football sized! Absolute hogs.  They were eating well!
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 12:30:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

When i first got to Benning we'd literally parachuted in from Panama into Camp Blanding--to work with the FL National Guard.  That ended my first tour in the Army and I got on the chute truck and drove up to Ft Benning to "Report In" to the 10th  Mountain

Well I got to the AG detachment and this female AG officer told me  "We're not ready for 10th Mountain yet"  so I told her.  "No problem Ma'am  just assign me as black bird out to the Ranger Department and I'll wait there.  I only need a few more months on status to get my Senior Jump Wings."   Well unbeknownst to me, her husband had just failed out of Ranger School as a captain trying to get thru--she was not amused.  So she assigned me to Army Community Service to work on a Child Day Care Center project for Ft Benning.  

I was a sad panda

A few weeks later was the annual Infantry Conference at Benning.  So i went out to Red Cloud Range to watch the big show.  There is my brigade commander from Panama! who asks me "Hey Steve, how is life in the 10th Mountain?"   So i told him my tale of woe and he said "come here i want you to meet someone" and he yells out  "Hey Bill, you need to talk to this lieutenant"   Lo and behold it's MG "Napalm Bill" Carpenter.  The Lonesome End himself, Vietnam war hero and current commander of the activation cell for 10th Mountain up at Drum.  So MG Carpenter asked me how it was going down at Benning.  Again I told my tale of woe and how this female AG captain had fucked me over.

MG Carpenter turned to his aide and told him to "take a note"  then he turned to me and said  "What's that bitches name again?"   To which i promptly replied  "Nancy Jxxxxx, Sir"

The next Monday morning i got a phone call from Captain J, who was even less amused, but she informed me that i was now the first person officially assigned to 2nd Brigade, 10th Mountain on Ft Benning, GA.

https://i.postimg.cc/J4D2bS7w/IMG-3233.jpg

Climb To Glory
View Quote
dat Scout.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 12:33:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

take good care

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

take good care

Mercy hospital is no more. I lived a couple blocks from it for a brief period over 30 years ago.

That lion in the Thompson Park was the saddest thing. We used to run hills there and then go to the Pewter Mug for a beer and we heard a lion roar!  We followed the sound to a lonely lion in a rusty cage. It looked like the zoo was abandoned and they just left him there.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 12:33:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Weren’t they the ones who put out that entertaining room/structure clearing video a while back?

View Quote

Yes. They had a horrible casualty rate too in Afghanistan. I’ve been on training ops and real life ops and nothing I’ve ever seen has instilled confidence in that organization.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 12:34:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Mercy hospital, yep.  It's a vacant lot now.  It was torn down in 2014, was supposed to be developed by Cor Development into apartments, office buildings and a shopping center.  Cor Development is the development firm that was caught conspiring with our illustrious former governor to rig bids for state sponsored construction projects.  I try to avoid Watertown as much as possible, drugs, crime, homeless, etc.  

I did some of my initial paramedic training at Mercy, though it was really falling apart around that time.  Once Drum partnered with SMC (Samaritan medical center) Mercy was just about finished.  I also ran with one of the local ambulance squads that backed up Ft. Drum ambulance at the time.  We were constantly going to Spinners and the other nightclub on base, can't remember the name, for assaults, blacked out drunks, etc.  Spinners was the first time I got to experience pepper spray .  We got called to check out a couple soldiers from 2-22 that had been fighting, and one got squirrely with the MP and he ended up getting blasted in the back of our rig .  That soldier was dropped off at our station first thing the following Monday by someone in his CoC and told he was to clean our ambulance until we were satisfied.  He told us that he spent the night in the PMO and I can imagine his Sunday wasn't pleasant either lol.

That's Thompson Park.  I think they still do the concerts up there with the 10th Mtn Div band, at least they did pre-COVID.  Its still a decent spot to take the kids during the day for the playground and splash pad, but now the Zoo is closed and the city is constantly fighting with the local criminal developer over the golf course, and after dark, it's know as Peeter Park, I'm sure you can guess why.

I look at Watertown these days like I used to look at Syracuse.  No way I'm going there unless absolutely necessary and if I do have to go, no way in hell I'm going unarmed.
View Quote

Yea it was falling off the cliff crime wise when I left.  Fricken drive by shootings in Watertown near the old 801 mentioned housing below Thompson park, tons of break ins with “nothing missing” aka they took my damned drugs.

I started my LE career in St. Lawrence county in the 90’s, Watertown was still pretty tame, then we got meth making technology imported, the degenerates the army got rid of tended to stay local for the easy life.  Why go back to NYC or Philly unless for another load of heroin.

Yea there were always insinuations how that developer got a lot of his money and the rumors weren’t dissimilar from the degenerates the military left on the curb that I mentioned.   Anyone up for a night ride to Canada on a yacht?

Oh and The Strand,...lol was it ever not off limits?   I did often get dragged to the Pewter Mug when dating a much younger gal.   Not really dating, more “friendly associations”.  Next door i got picked up by a gal only to find out in the morning my name got changed to Jody.   I exited stage right before breakfast after seeing the pictures in the place.

Link Posted: 2/3/2024 12:38:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Snowshoe made into a plaque.
View Quote

Quoted:
I showed that to a 10th Mtn vet at work. He just shrugged and said, “still better looking than the local New York girls.”
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/3/2024 12:41:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Watertown is not known for beautiful women.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I showed that to a 10th Mtn vet at work. He just shrugged and said, “still better looking than the local New York girls.”

Hey now. I was born and raised there.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 12:41:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yea it was falling off the cliff crime wise when I left.  Fricken drive by shootings in Watertown near the old 801 mentioned housing below Thompson park, tons of break ins with “nothing missing” aka they took my damned drugs.

I started my LE career in St. Lawrence county in the 90’s, Watertown was still pretty tame, then we got meth making technology imported, the degenerates the army got rid of tended to stay local for the easy life.  Why go back to NYC or Philly unless for another load of heroin.

Yea there were always insinuations how that developer got a lot of his money and the rumors weren’t dissimilar from the degenerates the military left on the curb that I mentioned.   Anyone up for a night ride to Canada on a yacht?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is sad to hear, I lived there about 89-91. I never felt it was remotely dangerous.

It is really beautiful country, winters are far too long but it is a sportsman’s paradise.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 12:43:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this you?
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/3/2024 12:43:42 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm sure all posts suck, right, I mean it's the Army.  But that's a pretty middle of no where no support infrastructure type place.  Was beautiful country, but what a fucking dump.  
But I do have lots of good memories from there - time will do that to you.
I remember it was funny when I wound up going to USMA in Beast they had our scouts from 2/14 doing training and it was good to see the old guys.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 12:45:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That is sad to hear, I lived there about 89-91. I never felt it was remotely dangerous.

It is really beautiful country, winters are far too long but it is a sportsman's paradise.
View Quote
It really is sad.  I can't wait to get out of NY when I retire, but it's definitely not because of the weather and yes, our outdoors activities are top notch.

I grew up never knowing a locked door, played outside without anyone knowing where I was, and you could trust everyone in the area.  Now, I can barely see my neighbors and still have more cameras than most banks and wouldn't dare leave my doors unlocked.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 12:45:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
dat Scout.
View Quote

Hell Yeah. I had a SUV before SUVs were cool

When stationed at Drum everyone had radiator heaters on the cars and plugged them in at night.   My wife's Honda froze up one night--even tho it was parked in the [unheated] garage of our 801 housing at Drum.  

I parked my Scout on the street. Unheated.   Sumbitch fired up every morning! It would be plowed in every morning.  I'd put that bitch in 4W low and smash it backwards---then bash it forwards.  Then drive out of the the plow debrise and head into work!  Thing was a BEAST.

Happier---certainly warmer--times in Panama

Climb To Glory
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 12:53:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It’s an Infantry-ma’am.
View Quote

There it is.

The decisive effort in this thread. We can shut her down, objectives met.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 12:53:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It is really beautiful country, winters are far too long but it is a sportsman’s paradise.
View Quote

If you learn to ice fish or snowmobile it can be fun.   I was up there my first winter and was bored to tears....spent a bit too much time in bars for want of something to do when there was 3’ of snow down.  The next winter one of the state troopers convinced me to buy a sled.  I had a ton of fun on that sled, ride from Ogdensburg to Malone and Old Forge.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 12:59:13 PM EDT
[#27]
You've got to be kidding me. That is 10th my division hahahahahha
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 1:03:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
dat Scout.
View Quote

With the Confederate flag front plate!

Those are scarce these days.

A Scout rebuild with certain modern components would be awesome.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 1:05:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Part of me thinks we would scare Russian and Chinese soldiers to death with these monstrous trannies.

Imagine being a Russian soldier and all of a sudden coming face to face with a giant tranny with makeup on. I’d run.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 1:20:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

There it is.

The decisive effort in this thread. We can shut her down, objectives met.
View Quote

I'm embarrassed by that shit as the next 10th MTN alumni;  just like a couple of the embarrassing photos that keep getting posted about West Point.  The commie and the black power girls.  

But those do NOT define the organization.

Decades after 10th MTN, i worked as a contractor providing a overhead service to SOF.   I worked for four years on Camp ALPHA for Task Force.   I was first surprised when these female Ranger officers showed up in the JOC.   No one in regiment wears IDing shit--just letter number IDs so it makes things difficult for a old Soldier like me.   I had one aggressive female Ranger officer who was always after me to help her find people to kill.  In the course of talking I soon ascertained that:  She was a West Point graduate; a Ranger School graduate; and a Infantry Officer!   Well.   Color me old school but that blew my mind.    

So I went to the XO of the battalion that had the JOC at the time.  The son of a officer I'd served with--Lieutenant General Ferriter.  I remember his kid as a young man on Ft Benning back at the day.  And now i was working for him as a young major in the Regiment.  So i asked him about this "chick"   Is she for real?  Is she the real deal?   I asked some of the Ranger captains on the floor who'd played football at Army so we'd  "bonded" after the usual butt sniffing.   Is this chick for real?   All agreed.  She is.  She can do the job.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm like a old Battleship officer shaking his fist and saying 'carrier aviation is just a fad'  

I don't know?

the weirdo in the OP's pic is a weirdo.   Females in the military however?
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 1:41:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What the fuck is that thing?  
View Quote
This was my first thought
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 1:44:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

With the Confederate flag front plate!

Those are scarce these days.

A Scout rebuild with certain modern components would be awesome.
View Quote

Yeah.  About that plate.  In the whole brigade in Panama at that time there was only one airborne company.  So it was a big deal--as an O--to get assigned there.  Theory was A Co. would do airfield seizure and the rest of the brigade would airland.  So the SOUTHCOM CDR's own little ranger company.  We did airfield seizures ad nausium.   I've jumped onto so many runways.......  It hurts just to remember.

So i get to A Company.  and very quickly one of the [black] NCOs in another platoon complains about the front plate on my Scout.  This is 1983 or so.   Dukes of Hazzard is going full throttle and that was the spirit in which i intended the plate.  Sort of a Very Slow General Lee.     Well the Co. First Sergeant came to me.  1SG Rock.  No shit   1SG's name is "Rock"  He's like from central casting for a First Sergeant.   1SG Rock tells me if i want to park my Scout in the company area i will have to remove the rebel plate as some find it offensive.   I took it off within minutes.

MOTENGATORS
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 2:08:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
We are gonna take heavy losses in the next serious peer-to-peer conflict in the name of diversity.
View Quote

Other cultures are going to torture the shit out of the captured too.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 2:11:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 2:13:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Other cultures are going to torture the shit out of the captured too.
View Quote

You mean like

https://www.tampabay.com/archive/1992/06/11/female-pow-was-sexually-assaulted/

"other cultures"   I won't go into what i've seen on thermal over the years.   As messed up as we are here in the USA we're blessed to live here in this land.

Link Posted: 2/3/2024 2:17:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Affirming mental illness is one of the most cruel and unloving things we can do as a nation.

Broken people need help healing not help destroying themselves…and the culture.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 2:22:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yeah.  About that plate.  In the whole brigade in Panama at that time there was only one airborne company.  So it was a big deal--as an O--to get assigned there.  Theory was A Co. would do airfield seizure and the rest of the brigade would airland.  So the SOUTHCOM CDR's own little ranger company.  We did airfield seizures ad nausium.   I've jumped onto so many runways.......  It hurts just to remember.

So i get to A Company.  and very quickly one of the [black] NCOs in another platoon complains about the front plate on my Scout.  This is 1983 or so.   Dukes of Hazzard is going full throttle and that was the spirit in which i intended the plate.  Sort of a Very Slow General Lee.     Well the Co. First Sergeant came to me.  1SG Rock.  No shit   1SG's name is "Rock"  He's like from central casting for a First Sergeant.   1SG Rock tells me if i want to park my Scout in the company area i will have to remove the rebel plate as some find it offensive.   I took it off within minutes.

https://i.postimg.cc/26k2rVg4/Motengators.jpg

MOTENGATORS
View Quote

@SteveH06

I was an FO for A-2/187 back in the late 90's. In fact, I worked for every company in both 1st and 2nd Battalions except HHC-2/187, as well as HHC/187th INF RGT (I was the assistant Bde FSNCO during OEF I).

Rakkasan!
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 2:24:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 2:26:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I knew him.
View All Quotes

One of my buddies went to high school with him. He didn’t care for him, this was in the 21 Jump Street days.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 2:28:39 PM EDT
[#40]
I was AD at Bragg in 76/77.  Deployed to AFGHANISTAN with the 82d in 07, and it was basically what I remember from the 70s.  I was thinking "Why does the 82d think they are so great?".  Then we had a BN from the 10th come through, and I realized why the Division thought they were better.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 2:31:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 2:33:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I went to high school with him. I thought he was okay but I barely talked to the guy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of my buddies went to high school with him. He didn't care for him, this was in the 21 Jump Street days.
I went to high school with him. I thought he was okay but I barely talked to the guy.

I just sent you a PM to see if you know my buddy.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 2:40:29 PM EDT
[#43]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this you?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/513887/IMG_7903_jpeg-3116795.JPG

no who is that?
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 2:41:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 2:42:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 2:45:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

They are/were just a light infantry division, not a true mountain unit after WWII. Back then they were “allegedly” the most deployed unit.

Kind of Harbor Freight marines.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I still don't understand how the 10th mountain was selected for urban and beach operations in Somalia.

Not a comment on their performance there, but I would think it was outside of their specialty and that other troops would have been better suited.

They are/were just a light infantry division, not a true mountain unit after WWII. Back then they were “allegedly” the most deployed unit.

Kind of Harbor Freight marines.

When I was permanent OPFOR at JRTC they were the worst active duty unit we had to fight. They’d usually come through once a year but sometimes twice/year.

Every rotation we’d fight against a Brigade of whoever came down. The 25th was always the best because they had a heavy focus on small unit tactics, and that was what early JRTC was all about. We’d put 140 OPFOR against a Brigade from the 25th, about 130 against the 82nd and 101st, but only 80 OPFOR against the 10th and we’d still have to “reboot” their rotations because we’d have them combat ineffective by Day 2. We’d only use 30-40 OPFOR against National Guard units.

I admit it’s somewhat skewed because they’ve definitely proven themselves in real combat and GWOT, and they were fighting against a unit that did nothing but fight against our own tactics, but only needing 80 soldiers to defeat a Brigade vs. needing 140 to beat the 25th says a lot about their readiness at the time (early 90’s).

ETA: My first set of PCS orders from Germany was to 10th Mountain. For some reason, they were rescinded and replaced with orders to JRTC. My future BIL was also in 10th Mountain at that time.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 2:48:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 2:49:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Richard Greco. He was in 21 Jump Street snd Booker in the 80s. He was in a few films after that then I think his career died. I didn't really know him. His mom worked pretty hard doing stuff like running his fan club. Google says he was arrested in 2019 for public intoxication at an airport.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

no who is that?
Richard Greco. He was in 21 Jump Street snd Booker in the 80s. He was in a few films after that then I think his career died. I didn't really know him. His mom worked pretty hard doing stuff like running his fan club. Google says he was arrested in 2019 for public intoxication at an airport.

The only famous Hollywood person I know from there is Viggo Mortensen.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 3:00:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Climb to Glory

GERONIMO
View Quote

Hey there, fellow G-Man

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/3/2024 3:03:18 PM EDT
[#50]
bad ass. I got chills.

Like Manowar - We are high atop the mountain with hammers in the wind, lusting for death again!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top