Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/15/2017 9:14:22 AM EDT
https://www.washingtonpost.com/video/national/on-the-streets-of-chillicothe-ohio-shooting-heroin-is-like-drinking-beer/2016/12/29/9d4bae9c-c2fd-11e6-92e8-c07f4f671da4_video.html

This little blurb is a pretty good view into the the part of the universe where addicts and normal collide.  And the addicts are seemingly taking over.  You guys outside of Appalachia have no idea.  The Great Society is imploding and Mexican carfentanil is the atom bomb.  I have three former friends who died from it this month.  I say former because once they choose addiction you have to cut all ties and consider them dead.  We got a call from some good friends who are paying $30,000 a month for some rehab in California for one of their daughters.  They'll go bankrupt and be living in a mobile home and she'll still be a junkie. 
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Can Chillicothe get any worse? You couldn't pay me to live there.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:19:26 AM EDT
[#2]
That's ridiculous. I've known Chillicothe has had a heroin problem for a while now but it's still weird to wrap my mind around. I used to shoot a lot at the Camp Sherman range facility there.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:21:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:21:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Heroin is obviously not deadly enough. If it were this would be a self solving problem
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:23:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Meh, self correcting problem....

If they'd stop giving out that Narcan shit like candy, there'd be less survivors...

ETA Beat by 2 minutes....
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:25:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I grew up close to there. The thing I don't understand is how people are fucking dumb enough to stick a needle with a mystery concoction in it in their arm and push down the plunger.

Pills, weed, coke, I can understand the desire. But heroin, WTF???
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:26:01 AM EDT
[#7]
My wife is originally from the Cleveland area. She knew probably half a dozen people that have died from heroin. Her brother was an addict, OD'd at least 3 times, lucky he's alive. Now he's sober, no drugs or alcohol. It's bad stuff. Couldn't pay me enough money to live in Ohio or out east for that matter where this stuff is going on.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:29:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Heroin is obviously not deadly enough. If it were this would be a self solving problem
View Quote

Just wait till they get their hands on fentanyl
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:30:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Heroin is plenty deadly. Its the narcan that keeps cheating Darwin.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:34:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I grew up close to there. The thing I don't understand is how people are fucking dumb enough to stick a needle with a mystery concoction in it in their arm and push down the plunger.

View Quote

In a way pills weed and coke are the same thing.

You never know what was sprayed on the weed
You never know what the coke was cut with
You never know if the pills are real
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:34:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I had Fentanyl patches once for back pain. Stay away from that drug. Heroin dependence is probably easier to kick. The withdrawals seriously almost killed me. I lost like 30lbs and felt like someone had jumper cables attached to my brain and was firing them off every couple hours (I suppose those were mini seizures looking back on it, fuck was it painful!). My arms and legs would shake violently about every thirty seconds, and one minute I was cold, the next sweating my arse off. I would go days without a wink of sleep, and every minute felt like a week had gone by.

The emotional distress was unbelievable as well. Everything mistake I'd ever made in life filled my dreams and waking hours and the self loathing was relentless. That was my first taste of opiate withdrawal. I was not an addict, just in severe pain. I stopped taking Fentanyl of my own will because of the horrifying dreams and thank god I did. Here's the scary part--I was only on it for less than two months!

After that I think I understand a bit about why heroin addicts are willing to go to such great lengths to get more drugs. The pain of withdrawal from high doses of the hard core opiates is indescribable. They may have started in order to get high but they quickly will do anything to avoid withdrawal, and that's probably why most start injecting. Just don't do it, ever, and if you know someone on it don't disown them, but keep pushing them to get professional help. Cold turkey is not the way to go, get them into a suboxone or mehadone center ASAP.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:35:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Should we start a campaign for DNR markers for addicts that don't want to be "saved?"
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:36:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:41:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Heroin is plenty deadly. Its the narcan that keeps cheating Darwin.
View Quote
Here's the problem with Narcan.  I don't really care if someone decides to kill their self using heroin or whatever concoction the Mexicans are advertising as heroin these days.  But I really don't want to have to deal with it on my time.  So if I have Narcan available and someone is doing the OD Snore, then you bet your ass I'm hitting them with the juice.  You want to kill yourself, go find some nice abandoned house or bridge abutment and go to town. 

There is a plus side to Narcan.  It gives an instantaneous bout of withdrawal to the addict.  Kind of like one minute they're floating in a warm and wonderful haze, and then its "Welcome to the planet, motherfucker."  A Bobcat's gotta get his satisfaction where he can these days. 

I'd rather they all get off the stuff and find productive lives.  I really do wish that for all of them.  But ultimately the choice is up to them.  Mr. Johnson's War on Poverty sure did have some unintended consequences.  Hillbillies can handle Freedom.  We don't do so well with free money. 
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:16:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Lost a friend from HS to an OD three years ago. Got hooked on it when we were in college. His family thought he had gotten cleaned up but he relapsed. Left behind a young son, lots of heartache.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:37:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My wife is originally from the Cleveland area. She knew probably half a dozen people that have died from heroin. Her brother was an addict, OD'd at least 3 times, lucky he's alive. Now he's sober, no drugs or alcohol. It's bad stuff. Couldn't pay me enough money to live in Ohio or out east for that matter where this stuff is going on.
View Quote

Glad to hear there's no heroin in Colorado.

Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:42:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:50:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Glad to hear there's no heroin in Colorado.

View Quote

never said there wasn't, it's everywhere, but seems way worse in the midwest and eastern states than rural areas out west...maybe I'm wrong, but it's really messed up when half a dozen people you knew growing up died from the stuff and it's getting worse and I never hear about it in my small town and no one has ever died here from it. (it's there, but the druggies are usually outcasts or college students). It always seems to come back to Ohio as a hotbed for the stuff, especially the new fentanyl craze too.

A bit part of it has to do with economic conditions which makes sense for it being bad around inner city areas in the midwest.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:51:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

( If god made anything better,he kept it for himself) Charley Parker
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:52:12 AM EDT
[#20]
The heroin use in Oregon is out of control, too.

I5 runs right from San Diego up through LA, SF, Eugene, Portland, Seattle into Canada.

Gotta be one of the main drug trafficking routes in the country.

Anyway yeah it's not pretty.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:57:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Church, many of you need it.

It's all a big Darwin joke until it's your loved one.  

Addicted people only need to survive long enough to get clean.  It's tragic when they don't.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 11:01:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Until the government issues permits to bag heroin dealers with bounties; this will continue to its logical conclusion.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 11:06:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Addicted people only need to survive long enough to get clean.  It's tragic when they don't.
View Quote

^^^ This

Most just assume a story about a person in their head when everybody's different. My brother in law was an addict. He was diagnosed with an auto immune disorder with his digestive system, docs kept telling them they didn't know how to treat it, kept prescribing him pain pills for the pain. After awhile the prescrips ran out, turned to heroin and snorted it once since he was told it was so close to being the same thing as a pain pill. One thing led to another and was a full blown addict, stealing from family,  OD'd 3 times, almost died. Failed rehab once, the 2nd time he went voluntarily, got clean. Had trouble with alcohol after rehab the 2nd time, finally clean of alcohol and drugs and picking up the pieces of destroying relationships, ect. While it's his own fault, you can't help but feel for him. A lot of people want to get help/clean, but like others have said, the avoidance of withdrawal is a huge motivator in not getting clean.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 11:09:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hear me out on this...

Bum Fights, but they're rigged so the house always wins!
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 11:13:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well, if a street-level dealer sold uncut 100% heroin, most users would OD because they've been taking in cut down heroin.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 11:14:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Horseshit. I'd sooner drag my first cousin out back and be done with it than continue down the - "Steal from my uncle, sell it for a loss for quick cash, hide at my grandfathers, steal, sell it at a loss for quick cash, back with my uncle again" dance anymore. You can't imagine the amount of shit that little fucker has stolen. Addicts always find a way.

If he OD'd in front of me and I had the ability to prolong his life - I would run, not walk, the other direction.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 11:30:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Wifes cousin has been doing it for a decade now. Been in and out of rehad and jail. Has a kid from some drug dealer she dated. Wifes aunt and uncle took custody of the kid and have cut all dies with the drug shoot mess of a person. She stole $25,000 from her own sister, $4,000 from the grand mother and constantly begs for hand outs. At this point most of the family treats her like she is already dead, both emotionally because of the harm she has caused and physically because she is non-existent in our lives and everyone knows its not if she dies, but when.

My cousin has the same issue. He missed my brothers wedding because of his addiction. Hes "clean" for now but hes gotten clean a dozen times and the needle keeps calling him.

Seems like every one has some family member in this part of the US who does heroin

And i personally think narcan is a blessing and a curse. Its saved my wifes cousin at least twice, but has created a growing population of drug users and dealers. People no longer see a rick of using heroin and use it recreationally. We are preventing Darwin from doing its thing.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 11:36:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

We need stronger heroin and ban Narcam.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 11:43:15 AM EDT
[#29]
a junkie will always be a junkie. even when they get clean they are one day from saying fuck it and stealing your stuff
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 11:43:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Don't care if people want to throw their life away with dope. I do care when they steal my shit to pay for their habit. Fucking druggie thieves should be shot.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 11:49:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Ban narcan.
Bounties on the pusher man's head. Severed only. 
Preload the free handout needles with HIV & HepC. 
Do a Project Eldest Son variant with heroin by spiking 10% of random doses with a healthy dose Carfentanil. 
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:03:15 PM EDT
[#32]
An addict does nothing but drag their whole family into the hole that they're in. If they're stupid enough to OD and die then they're doing their family and society as a whole a favor. All this mess about addiction is a disease is just a way to make an excuse for that person's weakness. Human beings have something called free will and you are free to make any choice that you want to make. Your choices define your life. If you choose to drink alcohol until you're an alcoholic then it's not a 'disease' but your own personal choices that got you to that point. If you take drugs to get high then realize that you're an addict, you cannot blame it on a 'disease' but it's your own choices that got you to that point. I have a son sitting in prison because he CHOSE to steal to support his addiction. I haven't spoken to him or gone to see him in prison because I don't feel sorry for him. I don't feel pity for him. I'm glad he's there and maybe it's what it takes to make him quit using. He chose his life and now he has to pay for that. If he chooses to stay clean when he gets out and build his life then I will be happy to help out but if he chooses to go back down that hole then he will have to deal with the consequences.

There is no cure for addiction because it's not a disease. Calling it a disease takes away the personal blame for the bad choices that you make. It's no longer your fault but can be blamed on a disease. I had an argument with a liberal drug councilor once who tried to say it''s a disease but it really boils down to the personal choices that you make every day. Addiction is a product of ones own actions. You choose to be an addict or not. If you suddenly realize that you're addicted to something and then not get help in the cessation of that addiction, that is your personal choice and you have to live or die with it. I was a nicotine addict for 27 years until I chose to not smoke anymore. Me, I, chose to not smoke anymore. The key word here is choice.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:08:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

We need stronger heroin and ban Narcam.
View Quote

carfentanil, 10,000 times more potent than morphine, and 100 times more potent than fentanyl. It's already producing lots of ODs in Ohio.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:11:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

never said there wasn't, it's everywhere, but seems way worse in the midwest and eastern states than rural areas out west...maybe I'm wrong, but it's really messed up when half a dozen people you knew growing up died from the stuff and it's getting worse and I never hear about it in my small town and no one has ever died here from it. (it's there, but the druggies are usually outcasts or college students). It always seems to come back to Ohio as a hotbed for the stuff, especially the new fentanyl craze too.

A bit part of it has to do with economic conditions which makes sense for it being bad around inner city areas in the midwest.
View Quote

Look at a map of Ohio and eastern states compared to out west, OH has a whole lot of major interstates going through it and is more condensed then some of the western states.

The highways are the drug routes and its easy to move the drugs into the cities when most of the major ones are right off a highway.
FL and OH were major pill mills and when those shut down it went to H.
All the states have a problem but some aren't as reported as much.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:15:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:15:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Kasic's fault
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:19:11 PM EDT
[#37]
I've lost a couple friends to OD'ing, and another recently who hung himself because of his shame over his addiction. Took dental records to ID him after hunters discovered him

Recently ran into an old friend who was actually boasting that it took 3 narcans to bring him back.

A few weeks ago a couple county sheriff departments were warning of finding fentynal-laced weed.

This shit is killing our people.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:21:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Isn't there a thing now that blocks the receptors in the junkies brain?
It lasts like 28 days.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:25:18 PM EDT
[#39]
I have no sympathy for addicts, or people who enable and make excuses for them. My mother and sister were both addicts, and lied, stole from, and fucked over everyone they ever came into contact with. I had to cut them both out of my life, and they are both in the ground now. My sister at the age 23, and my mother at the age of 57. And everyone who ever knew them is better for it because the head, heart, and ass ache they provided is over.

I honestly don't know what I would do if one of my kids goes down that dark road, I have seen it tear people apart trying to help and the addict spitting in the helpers face time and time again.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:31:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Ohio, might as well be called northern Florida.

Only thing good about Ohio is Super Subby's...
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:32:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The burial mounds are cool.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:37:31 PM EDT
[#42]
If the country was really serious about the war on drugs, we would start executing drug dealers on a massive scale.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:39:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
I spent a couple months there in 2002... I can't imagine it being worse at all. 

Waterbeds N More was interesting though. 
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:44:45 PM EDT
[#44]
one cousin dead from AIDS from sharing needles.  Another cousin a junkie and will be dead soon.  Three more cousins in jail.  All Chillicothe.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:48:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Lived in Marion for awhile, heroin is like tic tacs there
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:50:35 PM EDT
[#46]
The Mexican drug cartels toast this epidemic
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:53:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
<a href="https://www.washingtonpost.com/video/national/on-the-streets-of-chillicothe-ohio-shooting-heroin-is-like-drinking-beer/2016/12/29/9d4bae9c-c2fd-11e6-92e8-c07f4f671da4_video.html" target="_blank">https://www.washingtonpost.com/video/national/on-the-streets-of-chillicothe-ohio-shooting-heroin-is-like-drinking-beer/2016/12/29/9d4bae9c-c2fd-11e6-92e8-c07f4f671da4_video.html

</a>This little blurb is a pretty good view into the the part of the universe where addicts and normal collide.  And the addicts are seemingly taking over.  You guys outside of Appalachia have no idea.  The Great Society is imploding and Mexican carfentanil is the atom bomb.  I have three former friends who died from it this month.  I say former because once they choose addiction you have to cut all ties and consider them dead.  We got a call from some good friends who are paying $30,000 a month for some rehab in California for one of their daughters.  They'll go bankrupt and be living in a mobile home and she'll still be a junkie. 
View Quote

We've come to realize that my uncle gave up on his son cleaning up and just let addiction run its course.  it is sort of eerie to think about but after years and years of trying to help the best solution for his mental well being was to do nothing.  No funeral, no loser users visiting, just an urn on the mantle.  Brutal but my uncle and the rest of the family can now live their lives.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:59:09 PM EDT
[#48]
I get the addiction but I can't understand that first time, somehow thinking its a good idea..
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 1:01:13 PM EDT
[#49]
But, but, but... My looney libertarian friends claim dope is a victimless crime...

I always ask them "Would you surrender *YOUR* daughter to such a victimless crime"???
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 1:08:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

They've cracked down on the pills, so heroin is a cheaper and available alternative to those already hooked.
View Quote

Yep, the Heroin is cheaper and easier to get now than the pills.  And it's shown a direct correlation to overdoses.

Theres a rehab place up the road from my work, and low income housing not far. It's amusing (and sad) watching these worthless bums be able to get up at 6am to walk there and get their daily does of Narcan or whatever.

But get up to go to work, hell no!

My sister is an ER nurse in Youngstown. She see's overdoses (primarily Heroin) multiple times a day, and sometimes its the same patient 2 or 3 times in one day for an overdose.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top