Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:13:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fuck, at this point, I'd trust myself to know your mind better than you do.
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/horror-233.jpg
View Quote

You're a strange bird
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:22:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That is a fucking retarded way to cook burgers automated.

Pizza ovens with conveyers already exist, which is far closer to how a automated burger patty cooker should look like.  A conveyer is far cheaper than a 3-axis robot, and no safety cage needed either just simple guards.  Getting the frozen patty out of the freezer and onto the conveyer is probably harder but the grill method has the same issue..  

When I waited tables  the oven was faster than the cooks could throw toppings on pizzas, and almost faster than people could cut and box.  Burger patties in a pizza oven would probably cook more patties than you could put in a sack manually.   I think you could do a burger box and drop in a sack or meal box automated.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Pizza ovens with conveyers already exist, which is far closer to how a automated burger patty cooker should look like.  A conveyer is far cheaper than a 3-axis robot, and no safety cage needed either just simple guards.  Getting the frozen patty out of the freezer and onto the conveyer is probably harder but the grill method has the same issue..  

When I waited tables  the oven was faster than the cooks could throw toppings on pizzas, and almost faster than people could cut and box.  Burger patties in a pizza oven would probably cook more patties than you could put in a sack manually.   I think you could do a burger box and drop in a sack or meal box automated.  

@TX_M1
I believe Carl's Jr. /Hardees does it this way with it's flame grilled burgers. Load the conveyor at one end and it's timed to cook one side, then flips over onto another rack to cook the other side and drop into a tray when done.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:29:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Which the unintended consequence of that was to have the libs move to the red states and screw up voting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Republicans are missing an opportunity here to raise the minimum wage in a way that harms blue states. Just set a federal minimum wage and use state/county/MSA cost of living adjustments (including housing and gas prices) to adjust the amount. So the federal minimum wage rises to $10/hr in the rural south and $28/hr in coastal progressive cities.

They didn't seem to like it that Trump raised taxes on rich folks by getting rid of SALT deductions since blue states benefitted more from the deduction because of their higher taxes. It's almost as if rich democrats don't like paying taxes just like other rich people.

Which the unintended consequence of that was to have the libs move to the red states and screw up voting.

+1 to the above.
Another unintended consequence was to piss off all the High-Tax state suburbanites who normally voted republican, they took a huge beating  from the loss of the SALT deductions, this was one of the big reasons why  Suburban White Women voted for Bidet & the Ho, they feel the SALT deduction will return & they are probably correct.
Biden, Schumer and Pelosi have all said the SALT cap is going away.
It was a major political stumble on the Republicans part.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:27:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Union contracts that contain language that wages are minimum wage plus an offset. No need to renegotiate contracts as they all get shifted up immediately.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:30:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
@TX_M1
I believe Carl's Jr. /Hardees does it this way with it's flame grilled burgers. Load the conveyor at one end and it's timed to cook one side, then flips over onto another rack to cook the other side and drop into a tray when done.
View Quote

not a great video but found it

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:55:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

My point is not where will the hood rats work, that ain’t gonna happen no matter the minimum wage.

My point is, when this $15 minimum wage causes all the fast food joints to close, where will this hood rats eat?
View Quote

They will eat frozen food in plastic bags/bowl that is bought at 7-11 and popped into the microwave.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:03:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I was just telling my wife that this puts us in an excellent position in the short term. We’ve bought a decent amount of business equipment with fixed rate debt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I suppose it is a great time to load up on fixed interest rate debt.

I was just telling my wife that this puts us in an excellent position in the short term. We’ve bought a decent amount of business equipment with fixed rate debt.
 I've thought about this, and I think that if there is a big surge of significant inflation, (making loan payments trivial, and hurting banks) then the banks will lobby congress to pass a law mandating periodic "re-baselining" of outstanding loans, to increase the payments and balance due to compensate the banks for inflation.

Of course, this is a breach of contract, and blatantly harms one side to transfer wealth to the other.   But do you think that will stop them from doing it?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:26:31 AM EDT
[#8]
IMO the only way banks are going to forgive loans is if the .gov agrees to compensate dollar for dollar.  The banking industry has enough lobbying power to stop any type of forgiveness that negatively impacts the banks.

And the President cannot simply cancel debts with an EO

What's a few more trillion of .gov debt?  It's all play money anyway at this point.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:02:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
IMO the only way banks are going to forgive loans is if the .gov agrees to compensate dollar for dollar.  The banking industry has enough lobbying power to stop any type of forgiveness that negatively impacts the banks.

What's a few more trillion of .gov debt?  It's all play money anyway at this point.
View Quote
93% of student loans are owned by the government. The 87% of population that has no student loans are about to get screwed. Yes the 87% is actually the percentage of the US that has no student loans.

You and I will get to pay for those useless degrees
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:04:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
@TX_M1
View Quote

It cooks via burners over and under, on a chain conveyor.  Pops out the end and it's done.

- Hardee's 22 years.
 Covered above.

Eta: We're down 40% total staff.  Our pay is up to the point of many locations being in the Red, but we're competing with unemployment.  We have locations close occasionally due to having no employees or we go to drive thru only for the same.

15 per hour would put every one of our locations solidly in the red, fast food is an insanely razor thin profit margin.  Prices would have to raise significantly.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:08:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
@TX_M1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@TX_M1

Doesn’t or didn’t Burger King do it this way as well?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:32:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hello $6.00 cheeseburger
View Quote

Quit thinking about price and start thinking about the real cost. That cheeseburger costs about a half hour of work at minimum wage. It will always cost about a half hour of minimum wage. The cost is how long it takes you to amass the money needed to buy something.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:33:55 AM EDT
[#13]
My guess is for every job that gets an increase in pay two more will be laid off.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:32:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Doesn't or didn't Burger King do it this way as well?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@TX_M1

Doesn't or didn't Burger King do it this way as well?

Probably, but I've seen them microwave their burgers before serving. Veggies are always soggy
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:35:21 AM EDT
[#15]
If it goes up based on the multiplier in OP I’ll need a gigantic raise.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:57:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My guess is for every job that gets an increase in pay two more will be laid off.
View Quote

If we take the ~numbers from one of the previous posters in this thread at face value:

$16 for his motivated/skilled worker. $16guy produces $30 value.
$8 for his unmotivated/unskilled worker. $8guy produces $20 value.

If a workforce of 10 guys, split evenly among $16guys and $8guys:
Total $120, plus say 50% more for employee overhead $180.
Value produced is $250.

$15 min wage happens...
$180 + 5guys*$7 = 215.

Profit got cut in half. If that's a small business, that could easily be the difference between the owner making his bills or not making his bills.

How do we keep the $250 in value being produced, but keep the employee cost down?
We need just over 7 $16guys instead of only 5. We'll save some on employee overhead, efficiency, and not dealing with dumbasses, and get about the same $250.

($180 / 140%) / 7 = $18.37 an hour.

Result: keep the good 5 and hire 2 more, fire the 5 slackers, and raise hourly to $18.37, value/profit remains the same.

From 10 employees, 3 jobless added to the rolls.

Minimum wage is a government program which is designed to increase dependence on the government by:
Killing people's jobs
Cutting into middle class jobs and driving them into poverty
Cutting into small business owners' ability to stay in business
Driving up the costs of goods and services

I have to assume anyone who supports laws for any minimum wage is supporting that list above. I cannot fathom the amount of audacity it takes to approach a business owner who's spent his entire life creating his dream and demand that he help to destroy his business. That's a level of audacity that needs to be told to fuck right the hell off.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:44:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If we take the ~numbers from one of the previous posters in this thread at face value:

Value produced is $250.

$15 min wage happens...
$180 + 5guys*$7 = 215.

Profit got cut in half. If that's a small business, that could easily be the difference between the owner making his bills or not making his bills.

How do we keep the $250 in value being produced, but keep the employee cost down?
We need just over 7 $16guys instead of only 5. We'll save some on employee overhead, efficiency, and not dealing with dumbasses, and get about the same $250.

Result: keep the good 5 and hire 2 more, fire the 5 slackers, and raise hourly to $18.37, value/profit remains the same.

Minimum wage is a government program which is designed to increase dependence on the government by:
Killing people's jobs

I have to assume anyone who supports laws for any minimum wage is supporting that list above. I cannot fathom the amount of audacity it takes to approach a business owner who's spent his entire life creating his dream and demand that he help me destroy his business. That's a level of audacity that needs to be told to fuck right the hell off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Value produced is $250.

$15 min wage happens...
$180 + 5guys*$7 = 215.

Killing people's jobs

I have to assume anyone who supports laws for any minimum wage is supporting that list above. I cannot fathom the amount of audacity it takes to approach a business owner who's spent his entire life creating his dream and demand that he help me destroy his business. That's a level of audacity that needs to be told to fuck right the hell off.

@Sykkone

Just to put into perspective, $11 per hour Starting Pay put many of our locations into the Red.  Almost in the Red isn't worth dealing with the mountain of bullshit required every half a second to do business.  $15 per hour puts our entire business solidly into the Red.

This time last year, 8.50 starting was competitive, 9.50 in the city.  That was razor thin.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:49:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

@Sykkone

Just to put into perspective, $11 per hour Starting Pay put many of our locations into the Red.  Almost in the Red isn't worth dealing with the mountain of bullshit required every half a second to do business.  $15 per hour puts our entire business solidly into the Red.

This time last year, 8.50 starting was competitive, 9.50 in the city.  That was razor thin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Value produced is $250.

$15 min wage happens...
$180 + 5guys*$7 = 215.

Killing people's jobs

@Sykkone

Damn. I'm sorry, man. I wish motherfucking busybodies would stay the fuck out of your (and potentially my) cookies.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:52:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Value produced is $250.

$15 min wage happens...
$180 + 5guys*$7 = 215.

Killing people's jobs

I have to assume anyone who supports laws for any minimum wage is supporting that list above. I cannot fathom the amount of audacity it takes to approach a business owner who's spent his entire life creating his dream and demand that he help to destroy his business. That's a level of audacity that needs to be told to fuck right the hell off.
View Quote

Disgusting.......fucking commies.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:08:37 PM EDT
[#20]
OP, you sound like you are an established business. So, you've had it too good for too long.  Shame on you.

It's time to tip you over and make your business go under.  But demand for your services will remain.  You just won't be there to supply the service or product.  

So, in several months, subsidies will be created to start up a new business to supplant yours, since you've been dealt with.

But those subsidies will be doled out according to your "deomgraphics". Embrace your future. You deserve it. You aren't a minority and you're old money. So sayeth the left.

SUBMIT !
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:11:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It sure as hell is!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Path to hell is paved by democrats.

It sure as hell is!

They are wielding 'good intentions.'
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:26:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

+1 to the above.
Another unintended consequence was to piss off all the High-Tax state suburbanites who normally voted republican, they took a huge beating  from the loss of the SALT deductions, this was one of the big reasons why  Suburban White Women voted for Bidet & the Ho, they feel the SALT deduction will return & they are probably correct.
Biden, Schumer and Pelosi have all said the SALT cap is going away.
It was a major political stumble on the Republicans part.
View Quote

That’s a tax loophole for the wealthy that Dems should have agreed to close, if they were intellectually honest.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:26:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That’s a tax loophole for the wealthy that Dems should have agreed to close, if they were intellectually honest.
View Quote

Democrats intellectually honest!??

The Democrats themselves & their largest donors are the ones who have the most to gain from the SALT deductions.
A Democrat take money out of their own pocket? Never happen!
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
93% of student loans are owned by the government. The 87% of population that has no student loans are about to get screwed. Yes the 87% is actually the percentage of the US that has no student loans.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have doubts that'll happen, and if it does it'll be a huge mistake politically. I can't wait to see how black America reacts to the democratic party after they have their taxes increased to pay off the student loans of privileged white kids.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:08:43 PM EDT
[#25]
My daughter turned 16 this year and I put her to work at our family business at $9/hour.

I can say the last couple of months have been a learning experience, she is grossly overpaid for what she's been able to do.

I had to lay it out for her, if product X costs this much to produce, and you spend 8 hours working on it @ $9/hour, that's another $72 I have to be to justify in the price and this is what I normally sell it for.

She got it, but she's still slow as hell. At $15/hour, I'd be out there chasing people with a bullhorn all day and doubling prices.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:09:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Ironically, the wage increase will drive prices up, so in the end they make more but will end up paying way more.  The Democrats conveniently leave out the increases in goods, actual math escapes them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:19:17 PM EDT
[#27]
I was making almost double minimum wage a few years ago. Went to school for years and racked up a bunch of student loan debt. Recently graduated with my BSN and started making about double what I was, which with this plan, is going to be about double minimum wage.

All that for what will, sooner rather than later, be the same buying power. Awesome.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:20:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Path to hell is paved by democrats.
View Quote

DC
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:22:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Not just above, everyone because other wages will not go up comparably.  Due to Covid in the last year wages for the most part have went stagnant.  There flat out isn't the money to pay people $15 an hour.  Also $15 an hour is different in North Platte, NE than it is in New York City.
View Quote

Interesting that they haven't proposed raising the NYC minimum to like $30 an hour. It's almost like they only want to destroy businesses in flyover country.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:35:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
HINT: Buy stock in robotics firms.

Imagine if Boston Dynamics started building burger flippers.
View Quote
Oh, that is definitely coming.  I'm sure the bean counters at the fast food Corporate offices have already done the math to figure out the break even point of machines vs unskilled labor - not even counting the productivity gain from from flushing the problem children the op describes.  I'll guess $15/hr is at or very near that point.

If your job can be done by a machine, you're on borrowed time.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 1:01:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Unlike just about everywhere else, CNC guys and skilled labor are paid like shit around here.
Mostly because there is an ass ton of them, that are locked into mortgages and debt, and a Real estate market that is insane, after industry was driven off.

A guy is lucky to find a town job that pay's 15 bucks.

Here's the rub though. It's entirely a Tourist and Ag economy now, or was....

If ya gotta pay Summer break Suzie 15 Bucks an hour, to tend to the tourists buying T-shirts, or cleaning the B&B rooms... her Dad that is assembling mining equipment, isn't gonna be busting his ass the same.
That means "Acme Mine Car co." is gonna shift production to Mexico.

If I gotta pay Orchard pruner crews 15 bucks, that means There is no $ in even bothering to fertilize the damn Orchard, let alone pay the taxes.
I can get a better return on a savings account!

The $9.50 an hour guys that clean and can/Freeze/process your chow for Libby's,Green Giant,birdseye?
LOL!! Enjoy your Chinesium veggies, fortified with extra Melamine and Lead.

Shitloads of small towns and micro towns will be dying out, real quick.
Klintons real estate bubble, is gonna be just a minor footnote in history thanks to these morons.

It's a good thing we have Academic institutions, that teach economics, or we would all be fucked.....

Link Posted: 2/1/2021 1:40:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That’s sort of where I’m at now. New guys who literally don’t know shit are starting out $4-6/ hr more than I did. Yet my wages have been the same for two years.

I as well as others are pissed.
View Quote

This is common practice nowadays. You’re foolish if you stay in the same position for more than a couple years. Promote up or promote out. Companies don’t care, they’ll hire new people and pay them more than you.

If you don’t receive a pay raise every year equal to or greater than the rate of inflation, then you are taking a pay cut by staying at your same job.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 1:44:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 5:09:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Don’t worry. Biden will take care of it. He’s got a plan.
View Quote

Yes, it's what every smart commie like Biden and his Democrat team will say to entice the useful idiots and the complacent middle class. Ya throw them some bones, continue with the big promises, and reel them up hook-line-sinker. Next thing they know they're being fried in a pan with everybody else who they hated too!   (even not so smart commies with dementia know how to play that game)
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 5:23:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Wife and I were talking about this yesterday.  She's a p/t clerk at a local school making about 13/hr.  I said if minimum wage went from 7.25 to 15.00 then her wage should go to 20.75/hr.

What the uneducated fail to grasp is that the cost of EVERYTHING would go up accordingly.  Milk would be 9/gallon, gas would be 7/gal, cereal, electricity, insurance, etc.  

View Quote

Of course everything will go up. The gov is deliberately starting inflation to devalue debt.

Problem is, the rate of government dependency will increase because the low skill employees will just not find work.

That will lead to universal basic income = full blown socialism.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 6:45:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 6:58:44 AM EDT
[#37]
They were handing out flyers at Lowes the other day about job openings. Asked the lady what the pay was and she said 12.00 an hour. I'm like good luck with that. Chic fi let starts at 15 around here. And whatever idiot that's running Lowes thinks 12.00 will get them a boatload of applications of descent prospects is an idiot. And it has the effect of costing them people as their workload is doubled to make up for the small labor pool and many quit for easier jobs.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 8:34:35 AM EDT
[#38]
The people with the money spend a lot of time and effort trying to keep you worried that you might not make 3x what the entry level staff makes so you don't ask why the CEO makes 600x what you do and gets a seven figure golden parachute for fucking up. It's not the mop wizard that's responsible when your company lays off the senior staff because it's cheaper to accept more errors at a lower cost/hr either.

Y'all been mind-mashed to constantly worry about whether your crumbs are bigger than everyone else's instead of asking why you all only get crumbs to begin with.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 8:54:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Those burger flipping machines were on the way long before $15/hr min wage was ever a possibility.

The plan all along has been to replace most of not all those types of jobs with robots regardless of minimum wage.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 9:12:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

We would probably stop going out to eat at that point
View Quote

Way ahead of you.  

We go out to eat maybe 3-5 times a year.  Maybe.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 9:20:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The people with the money spend a lot of time and effort trying to keep you worried that you might not make 3x what the entry level staff makes so you don't ask why the CEO makes 600x what you do and gets a seven figure golden parachute for fucking up. It's not the mop wizard that's responsible when your company lays off the senior staff because it's cheaper to accept more errors at a lower cost/hr either.

Y'all been mind-mashed to constantly worry about whether your crumbs are bigger than everyone else's instead of asking why you all only get crumbs to begin with.
View Quote
I spotted a democrat.

CEO's don't set people's wages. People set their own wages with their skill set.  There are millions of people that can be 'mop wizards', therefore lowering demand/pay.

When my businesses competition can pay their people $20/hour (due to demand), then I have to either try to match them so I don't lose my employees to them or I can find other ways to keep them through many other avenues like 401k, vacation time, etc.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 9:24:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Under the socialism and communist plan would be to eliminate your $16.00/hr and $100k/he people.   Top people are killed off.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 9:35:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Even if they will that's how you end up right back where we are with people bitching about how $15/hr isn't enough we need $25/hr because of how expensive everything got.
View Quote

Makes sense to me, had someone get pissed at me when I was trying to explain that with the buying power of the dollar continuing to go down, it's a never-ending cycle.

The upside is, if they manage to torpedo the entire healthcare system by passing Medicare for all, I can "go Gault," jump off the ship before it goes down, and start stocking shelves and sweeping floors at a grocery store for a very minimal cut in pay.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 9:37:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I spotted a democrat.

CEO's don't set people's wages. People set their own wages with their skill set.  There are millions of people that can be 'mop wizards', therefore lowering demand/pay.

When my businesses competition can pay their people $20/hour (due to demand), then I have to either try to match them so I don't lose my employees to them or I can find other ways to keep them through many other avenues like 401k, vacation time, etc.
View Quote

Oh wow I guess you're right I mean executives don't set and sign off on budgets or set minimum compensation. That's why there are no corporate wage policies at places like Amazon, Wal-Mart, or McDonalds and none of those places ever pay money to Pinkerton's (and others) to monitor and undermine attempts to unionize! Silly me I guess corporate compensation policies don't exist, you just gotta March up and demand what you're worth.

No, if wages were decided based on what an employee was worth then wages would be set as a percentage of the value generated by the employee. It's not though, it's set by "how little can I pay and still get people to show up."
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 9:44:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Raising the minimum wage merely gives people more tokens, but each token has less purchasing power. Many on the left cannot grasp this concept and think they are giving out wealth. Those that do grasp the concept realize its a good way to destroy an economy of a nation that is forever tainted in genocide, racism and white supremacy. This group probably respects the right even though they want us destroyed, while they hold the idiots on the left in distain for being too stupid to realize they are being led to their own demise.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 9:50:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Imagine you've got Joe Shop Guy working for you.  He's very good at what he does and has been loyal to you for several years.  His hours are perfect.  You rely on him.  You're paying him $16.00 / hour and he's currently happy.  He's making $7.00 more per hour than most of the other guys in your shop, who are nowhere near his level.

View Quote

if you live in a clown fantasy world where someone highly talented, efficient with half a brain is fine with 16 dollars an hour i dont know what to tell you other than wake up and smell the coffee.

inflation adjusted thats way less than i made working fast food in high school. even using the CPI number which is total BS it's about 15 an hour

buddy of mine owns a mechanic shop. general labor starts at 18-20 an hour and within in a year is either gone or making 22. some people have been there 10+ years and are making 6 figures. mechanics start at 30 and should be at 40 within 3 years. oddly he isn't worried at all about minimum wage increases at all.

either be more useful or negotiate better. ideally both.the idea that year after year there's record profits in pretty much every sector and businesses somehow just can't afford to pay more is naive at best. they don't want to because then the CEO bonus would be less. in a very real way the solution to the problem is just investing widely in companies. if you get screwed as a worker win as an investor.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 9:52:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Is min wage really the control knob for wages and inflation? I thought only around 10% of workers were paid the federal min wage
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 9:59:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Oh wow I guess you're right I mean executives don't set and sign off on budgets or set minimum compensation. That's why there are no corporate wage policies at places like Amazon, Wal-Mart, or McDonalds and none of those places ever pay money to Pinkerton's (and others) to monitor and undermine attempts to unionize! Silly me I guess corporate compensation policies don't exist, you just gotta March up and demand what you're worth.

No, if wages were decided based on what an employee was worth then wages would be set as a percentage of the value generated by the employee. It's not though, it's set by "how little can I pay and still get people to show up."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I spotted a democrat.

Your wage is determined by your skillset and ease of replacement.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:02:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That's sort of where I'm at now. New guys who literally don't know shit are starting out $4-6/ hr more than I did. Yet my wages have been the same for two years.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Imagine you've got Joe Shop Guy working for you.  He's very good at what he does and has been loyal to you for several years.  His hours are perfect.  You rely on him.  You're paying him $16.00 / hour and he's currently happy.  He's making $7.00 more per hour than most of the other guys in your shop, who are nowhere near his level.

Along comes Sleepy Joe.  One day, Sleepy Joe manages to get $15.00/hour minimum wage passed through the House and Senate.

And just like that, Joe Shop Guy went from making well over 2x the minimum wage to only $1.00 per hour more than the riff-raff who are stoned half the time and only show up 3 days a week (being brutally honest here).

He calls you out on it.  What do you say?  Sure, if push came to shove, you'd "win" the argument, but let's be realistic, what the hell are you going to tell him?

Now, let's take the plant manager who's making $100,000 / year.  That's 6.6 times the current minimum wage.  He knows he's worth at LEAST 6.6 riff-raff guys.  Probably more like 10 or 15.  The minimum wage becomes $15.00/hour.  Now you've got to somehow explain to him that's he's only worth 3.2 entry-level shop guys?  How's that conversation going to go?

That's sort of where I'm at now. New guys who literally don't know shit are starting out $4-6/ hr more than I did. Yet my wages have been the same for two years.

Leveling is a thing. My company has had to deal with this too.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:08:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Soooo, will all wages be raised accordingly ?

Or will the worthwhile employees who put the time in just get screwed and quit or become disgruntled ?
View Quote

We’re getting fucked, as usual.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top