Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 6/23/2023 1:22:39 PM EDT
https://www.foxnews.com/media/online-mockery-titanic-submersible-leaves-cultural-observers-sickened-garbage-dump-vile-commentary

The tragic saga of a submersible that went missing during a voyage to see the wreckage of the Titanic came to an end on Thursday, as the five passengers aboard were declared dead following an apparent implosion of the small vessel.

But the story that captivated the planet, in part due to the ongoing fascination with the Titanic shipwreck, also revealed an ugly underbelly on social media of mockery and even disdain for those aboard.

"Like a digital Tower of Babel, social media is evolving into an increasingly ugly and chaotic space — a real-time repository for our worst impulses, uninspired musings, scatalogical humor and ill-formed thoughts that should be kept to ourselves," Los Angeles Times staff writer Jessica Gelt noted. It is an online Mall of America: vast, vacuous, relentlessly commercial and soul-sucking. And in a time of immense crisis — political, ecological, social — it has become a garbage dump of vile commentary publicly aired because that’s just what we do now."

The U.S. Coast Guard confirmed Thursday that a debris field found about 1600 feet from the bow of the Titanic is the missing OceanGate Titan submersible that was carrying the passengers. For the past week, there had been hope that the vessel could still be found intact before oxygen ran out.

During that time, with news coverage of the possible rescue mission saturating the airwaves, a number of factors contributed to it becoming ripe for acidic social media commentary and jokes. And while dark humor and mockery didn't change the fates of those aboard, it was still a sad reflection to some cultural observers about modern humanity.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:25:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:26:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Indeed, I don't care about some rich idiots, I do enjoy having a laugh though.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#3]
The MSM is at fault here. They were pressured to dive deep into the story but failed to latch onto the facts.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:27:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I feel for the families that have to suffer, but stupidity should be mocked.

We need to point out when someone does something as retarded as getting in a carbon fiber coffin in hopes of seeing a rusted out ship at 12,000’ below the surface of the ocean.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:27:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Where do you think the term Darwin Award comes from? People have been using dark humor around people dieing from incredibly stupid means for thousands of years.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:27:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:27:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Critics say.................
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:28:25 PM EDT
[#8]
They earned the mockery
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:28:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:28:46 PM EDT
[#10]
The internet has become a kind of collective subconscious.

Who’d a thunk that there would be unpleasant things in the subconscious?
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:29:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Liberal Critics say.................
View Quote

FIFY.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:30:21 PM EDT
[#12]
WAAAAAAA!!!!

Fucking "50 year old white guys" comment and woke "inspirational" bullshit bites the CEO DIRECTLY in the ass, and results in his death and the death of four others.

That 30 year old "inspirational" engineer will be the expert the 50 year old white guy is in 20 years, after gaining two decades of experience.  The experience and expertise summarily dismissed by the CEO as a non-factor.
Fuck that guy, he got what he bargained for.
It's unfortunate he took out 4 other people with him.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:30:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:30:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Dark humor is good for you.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:31:18 PM EDT
[#15]
these people would suffer psychotic breaks and commit suicide if they had ever been in a COD Modern Warfare lobby in the mid 2000's.

Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
https://www.foxnews.com/media/online-mockery-titanic-submersible-leaves-cultural-observers-sickened-garbage-dump-vile-commentary

"Like a digital Tower of Babel, social media is evolving into an increasingly ugly and chaotic space — a real-time repository for our worst impulses, uninspired musings, scatalogical humor and ill-formed thoughts that should be kept to ourselves," Los Angeles Times staff writer Jessica Gelt noted. It is an online Mall of America: vast, vacuous, relentlessly commercial and soul-sucking. And in a time of immense crisis — political, ecological, social — it has become a garbage dump of vile commentary publicly aired because that’s just what we do now."

View Quote

Crocodile tears coming from a corrupt media apparatchik.

That comes across as exactly what MSNBC and CNN and the LA Times and the NYT and their ilk have been doing for years, not just against DJT but against conservatives and anyone who dares to contradict or push back against libtardism.

The lack of introspection by a leftist mediatard is stunning yet not unexpected.

Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:31:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:32:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The MSM is at fault here. They were pressured to dive deep into the story but failed to latch onto the facts.
View Quote

The situation imploded around them.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:33:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Why is there such a thing as a cultural observer?
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:33:41 PM EDT
[#20]
I guess they missed the jokes about the Challenger. I was in grade school and remember almost immediately afterwards things like: What were the last words heard? "What's this red button do?"

Now, wishing people to die and saying things like so and so should have been in the sub is not great.

But joking about what happened is normal.

Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:33:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Statements like these are crushing to my psyche.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:34:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm all broken up about this mishap, just like the sub.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:34:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I guess they missed the jokes about the Challenger. I was in grade school and remember almost immediately afterwards things like: What were the last words heard? "What's this red button do?"

Now, wishing people to die and saying things like so and so should have been in the sub is not great.

View Quote

NASA

Need Another Seven Astronauts
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:35:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Some people take the high road, while others go way low. No need to get broken up about it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:36:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Send those pussies a link to the dank meme thread.

Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:37:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:38:49 PM EDT
[#27]
People die doing dumb shit every day. The media made a mockery of it when sensationalized and whored out the situation to boost their profits.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:39:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're making my heart sink
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:40:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

NASA

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NASA

What did Christa McAuliffe use to wash her hair?

Well, they found her Head & Shoulders on the beach.

Christa McAuliffe use to teach science. Now, she's in history.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:46:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Why is there such a thing as a cultural observer?
View Quote

Yeah. How much did that "credential" cost?

Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:46:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Pretty much the entire collective human race agrees that an underwater submersible is not something that you go “budget” on…so why is anyone shocked when the collective world opinion is red foreman/dumb ass\red foreman?
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:48:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The tragic saga of a submersible that went missing during a voyage to see the wreckage of the Titanic came to an end on Thursday, as the five passengers aboard were declared dead following an apparent implosion of the small vessel.

But the story that captivated the planet, in part due to the ongoing fascination with the Titanic shipwreck, also revealed an ugly underbelly on social media of mockery and even disdain for those aboard.

The U.S. Coast Guard confirmed Thursday that a debris field found about 1600 feet from the bow of the Titanic is the missing OceanGate Titan submersible that was carrying the passengers. For the past week, there had been hope that the vessel could still be found intact before oxygen ran out.

During that time, with news coverage of the possible rescue mission saturating the airwaves, a number of factors contributed to it becoming ripe for acidic social media commentary and jokes. And while dark humor and mockery didn't change the fates of those aboard, it was still a sad reflection to some cultural observers about modern humanity.
View Quote

Looks like they made it to the bottom

Mission accomplished
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:51:37 PM EDT
[#33]
How much are they gonna charge to tour the Titan debris field…

Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:53:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:54:31 PM EDT
[#35]
The only person I feel terrible for is the kid.

Fuck the rest of them though, especially the woke douchebag.

He is the enemy, good riddance.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:55:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
WAAAAAAA!!!!

Fucking "50 year old white guys" comment and woke "inspirational" bullshit bites the CEO DIRECTLY in the ass, and results in his death and the death of four others.

That 30 year old "inspirational" engineer will be the expert the 50 year old white guy is in 20 years, after gaining two decades of experience.  The experience and expertise summarily dismissed by the CEO as a non-factor.
Fuck that guy, he got what he bargained for.
It's unfortunate he took out 4 other people with him.
View Quote

This.  

Diversity
Inclusion
Equity

DIE die die
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:55:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
these people would suffer psychotic breaks and commit suicide if they had ever been in a COD Modern Warfare lobby in the mid 2000's.

View Quote

BTDT. I miss the days of uncensored gamer tags
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:55:34 PM EDT
[#38]
The media pushed for clicks and then realized too late that it imploded on them
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:55:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:57:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

What color were Christa McColiff’s eyes?

Blew!  One blew this way and the other blew that way!

Did you know she had dandruff?

Searchers found her Head and Shoulders washed up in the beach.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:59:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Send those pussies a link to the dank meme thread.

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#42]
I've definitely noticed that phenomena here in the other thread.  Everyone there is smarter and a better engineer and a just plain better person than that guy was.

I'm pretty sure by the end of the day they will find out he was literally Satan, dragging his unknowing and helpless passengers down to hell
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 2:01:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The internet has become a kind of collective subconscious.

Who’d a thunk that there would be unpleasant things in the subconscious?
View Quote

They seem pretty conscious about this sub.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 2:03:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

If they're pushing agenda bs and funding evil, wishing it is fine.

He was an enemy and actively doing harm. I'm glad he's gone.

Link Posted: 6/23/2023 2:03:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 2:03:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 2:05:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Yeah sure then stop saying absolutely horrible shit about conservatives all the time.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 2:05:06 PM EDT
[#48]
There’s been a lot of tasteless memes in regard to this missing sub….how can people sink so low?
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 2:06:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
There’s been a lot of tasteless memes in regard to this missing sub….how can people sink so low?
View Quote

I know in my case it's dropping to a new depth, but I was under intense pressure.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 2:08:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top