Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/24/2018 3:05:20 PM EDT
NOTE: This is an open source project - I'm not selling anything, all plans will be made available free of change. Just tapping ARFCOMs SMEs on the F/A-18C and kinda proud of what I'm doing.

Link to original thread in archives: https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/OpenHornet-F-A-18C-1-1-Replica-SimPit-WIP-/5-2072333/

So, this project has progressed so, so far over the past six months. Still haven't built anything yet, just getting design hammered down.

I was curious if anyone here might have some good front, side, top views of the SJU-23 ejection seat? I'm having a very hard time finding information to extrapolate dimensions from. Also, approximately how much force is required to actuate the main ejection handle and the seat arming lever?

Hope you three don't mind me tagging you - you've been incredible helps on some of the questions I have had:

@FlyNavy75  
@Sixtigers  
@TufelByte

Anyways, here are the renders of the project, current as of today.

Link Posted: 10/24/2018 5:29:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Straight from the big book:

20-40lbs to unseat the handle from the housing and a continued 30-60lb pull to fire the initiators and send the seat flying.

Sorry, no pics.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 5:38:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Straight from the big book:

20-40lbs to unseat the handle from the housing and a continued 30-60lb pull to fire the initiators and send the seat flying.

Sorry, no pics.
View Quote
Damn! Must have missed it. Thanks man! I get the not wanting to accidentally activate the seat, but that seems like a huge force required at any sort of g-forces.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 5:41:44 PM EDT
[#3]
its going to be nice.

mine's much simplier
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 10:31:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I can’t get you pics. Security protocols here.

Might be able to get you diagrams.  Would that help?
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 10:35:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I can't get you pics. Security protocols here.

Might be able to get you diagrams.  Would that help?
View Quote
They would absolutely be preferred!
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 10:44:24 PM EDT
[#6]
That's freaking cool.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 11:43:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That's freaking cool.
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:02:38 AM EDT
[#8]
What exactly are you looking for?  You're close.  Some switches are in odd positions in those pics but I'm sure you probably know that already.

Do you plan on finding used parts on the market or building this from scratch?  How do you plan on programing the displays?
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:36:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks fantastic. The stick and throttle?
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:38:39 AM EDT
[#10]
So much want.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:44:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Attachment Attached File

At least you showed us peasants what's up

Seriously though, awesome work OP! Keep us tuned in. Maybe a YouTube video once it's all up and running?
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 1:43:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What exactly are you looking for?  You're close.  Some switches are in odd positions in those pics but I'm sure you probably know that already.

Do you plan on finding used parts on the market or building this from scratch?  How do you plan on programing the displays?
View Quote
Basically any square on views of the seat, weather photographs or diagrams. Also, any views or diagrams of the stick, square on past what's in the -000 NATOPS.

The switch positions are irrelevant in the model, just so that the switch positions are oriented properly electrically speaking. This will be a total scratch build.

Displays will be driven via export from DCS, and streamed to RPIs, which will hook up to the displays (minimizing the number of display ports from the PC running the sim.)
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 1:47:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Do I have to memorize a 1000 page manual just to fly the damn thing?
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 1:47:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes and no.

If you want to do it properly you better know a few things though
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 1:50:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Looks fantastic. The stick and throttle?
View Quote
Stick is very much WIP. We still are having a hard time finding enough pictures or diagrams of the stick grip to accurately replicate it, so we might be stuck waiting for Thrustmaster to release their F/A-18 grip for the Warthog. Mechanism is currently undergoing a redesign to simplify it and get the forces correct.

We got our hands on a real inboard throttle grip, and have duplicated it in a model, and have been able to extrapolate the outboard grip from that and other references. I'll be taking the reference model (once finished up) and making it into something manufacturable, and I'll finish out the throttle assembly at that time.

I'm investigating various COTS solutions for rudder pedals with some printed pedals to replace what's on there. Looking very hard at the MFG Crosswinds.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 1:51:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
904 pages IIRC.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 1:56:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Basically any square on views of the seat, weather photographs or diagrams. Also, any views or diagrams of the stick, square on past what's in the -000 NATOPS.

The switch positions are irrelevant in the model, just so that the switch positions are oriented properly electrically speaking. This will be a total scratch build.

Displays will be driven via export from DCS, and streamed to RPIs, which will hook up to the displays (minimizing the number of display ports from the PC running the sim.)
View Quote
Just in case others aren't familiar with DCS:
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/planes/hornet/
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 2:10:15 AM EDT
[#18]
SJU-17(series) by the way

IM sent.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 2:12:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
The first thing you'll notice is that video game RADAR and actual RADAR look nothing alike, and without spending some time learning/reading, you'll be instantly lost.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 3:09:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/413021/20181025_004326_jpg-716292.JPG
At least you showed us peasants what's up

Seriously though, awesome work OP! Keep us tuned in. Maybe a YouTube video once it's all up and running?
View Quote
Oh absolutely. And detailed plans on how to make your own.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 3:53:28 AM EDT
[#21]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.postimg.cc/jSDVQChk/dcsf18.png
Holy crap....
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 10:25:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Holy crap....
View Quote
It's pretty damn incredible.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:45:05 AM EDT
[#23]
That looks great. I can't wait to see the progress.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:52:02 AM EDT
[#24]
That looks amazing.  However have you considered the VR alternative?  I just fired up DCS with VR for the first time this week and am blown away by the feeling of actually sitting in a tiny cockpit and looking out over vast distances.  This is only going to get better as the headsets improve (I'm using a Rift).  Even a full dome over a physical cockpit wouldn't convey the depth of VR.

Of course the trade off against your cockpit is the tactile feedback of actually hitting real switches assuming you wire those up to the sim somehow.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:38:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That looks amazing.  However have you considered the VR alternative?  I just fired up DCS with VR for the first time this week and am blown away by the feeling of actually sitting in a tiny cockpit and looking out over vast distances.  This is only going to get better as the headsets improve (I'm using a Rift).  Even a full dome over a physical cockpit wouldn't convey the depth of VR.

Of course the trade off against your cockpit is the tactile feedback of actually hitting real switches assuming you wire those up to the sim somehow.
View Quote
Yes. VR for me in sim just doesnt cut it yet. Too hard for me to manipulate things. And uh...I like flipping switches. And yes, all the switches will be hooked up to the sim via our custom arduino-based electronics solution.

My pie in the sky dream is AR. Real world pit and VR "out-the-window".
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 1:01:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you plan to make the panels?  Are you going to back light them?  Are you trying to get all of the displays to indicate correctly?  All of the switches function?

Very cool project by the way.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 2:16:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

How do you plan to make the panels?  Are you going to back light them?  Are you trying to get all of the displays to indicate correctly?  All of the switches function?

Very cool project by the way.  
View Quote
Thanks! The panels are .125 acrylic backplate, with an .1875 acrylic light plate, and a .0625 legend plate. The legend plate is a two ply white on black engravable plastic. Light plate and legend plate will be bonded with Weld-On #4 (or equivalent), painted flat black, and engraved. We opted for .125 acrylic Backplates vs. 0625 aluminum due to limitations of most hobby grade CNCs.

Backlighting: We opted to not backlight with the initial version of this pit. It adds a huge cost/complexity. To do it right, it would triple the cost of every panel. That said, the electronics reserve a 12v PWM output for future backlighting.

We arent going to try to get all the displays and gauges and switches to work. They will.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Thanks! The panels are .125 acrylic backplate, with an .1875 acrylic light plate, and a .0625 legend plate. The legend plate is a two ply white on black engravable plastic. Light plate and legend plate will be bonded with Weld-On #4 (or equivalent), painted flat black, and engraved. We opted for .125 acrylic Backplates vs. 0625 aluminum due to limitations of most hobby grade CNCs.

Backlighting: We opted to not backlight with the initial version of this pit. It adds a huge cost/complexity. To do it right, it would triple the cost of every panel. That said, the electronics reserve a 12v PWM output for future backlighting.

We arent going to try to get all the displays and gauges and switches to work. They will.
View Quote
Are You going to make some classical gauges digital ? Like the pressure gauge ? Is it going to be a needle or the image of a needle ?
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 5:45:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Are You going to make some classical gauges digital ? Like the pressure gauge ? Is it going to be a needle or the image of a needle ?
View Quote
All gauges will be traditional/stepper driven with the exception of the Backup ADI, which will be digital
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 10:51:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Oh absolutely. And detailed plans on how to make your own.
View Quote
I'm in!
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:48:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Picked up the Warthog HOTAS last week.  My TRP Peddles and Cougar MFD's came in today.  TrackIR5 Pro is being delivered on Saturday.

Now trying to get everything to work together.  LOL

Windows 10 is a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 1:35:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Stick is very much WIP. We still are having a hard time finding enough pictures or diagrams of the stick grip to accurately replicate it, so we might be stuck waiting for Thrustmaster to release their F/A-18 grip for the Warthog. Mechanism is currently undergoing a redesign to simplify it and get the forces correct.

We got our hands on a real inboard throttle grip, and have duplicated it in a model, and have been able to extrapolate the outboard grip from that and other references. I'll be taking the reference model (once finished up) and making it into something manufacturable, and I'll finish out the throttle assembly at that time.

I'm investigating various COTS solutions for rudder pedals with some printed pedals to replace what's on there. Looking very hard at the MFG Crosswinds.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 1:38:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Pretty damn cool OP.

Out of curiosity, what sort of budget are you looking at for something like this? I can't afford it, but it's nice to dream
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 1:51:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Holy crap....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.postimg.cc/jSDVQChk/dcsf18.png
Holy crap....
They're coming out with F-14 soon too...

DCS: F-14 - Pre-Order / Gameplay Reveal Trailer - OUT NOW!
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 2:02:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Just took a quick look through the Super Hornet and Growler NAVTOPS 100 & 200, no seat diagrams like the one you wanted. Dug these up however in another manual.

If you figure the harness straps are roughly 2" you can probably guess, or come close to angles and dimensions from there.

Link Posted: 10/26/2018 10:30:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Pretty damn cool OP.

Out of curiosity, what sort of budget are you looking at for something like this? I can't afford it, but it's nice to dream
View Quote
I'm spitballing around $5000 completely built. I'll build it over time. I havent generated a BOM yet and priced it but I have definately designed with cost in mind.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 10:30:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Unfortunately, cant design an accurate 3D model from a handful of pictures and the NATOPS diagram.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 10:40:45 AM EDT
[#38]
I get to fly a real Hornet simulator once a year or so.

A lot of fun. And this looks pretty cool.

Great project, you have a lot of patience!!
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 1:17:21 AM EDT
[#39]
How can I help you with grip controller measurements?  Short of actually sending you one.  Close-up photos with a ruler?
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 1:26:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Impressive undertaking.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 2:13:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
How can I help you with grip controller measurements?  Short of actually sending you one.  Close-up photos with a ruler?
View Quote
Waiting to hear back from my buddy. He does a lot of the photogammetry,  so I'll hear back from what works for him. Nothing will replace a 3D scan.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 10:30:50 PM EDT
[#42]
So basically, I need as many images as possible around the object (I took over 100 when I did the throttle grip, but you don't have to go that crazy.) The most important thing is that every part of the model should be visible in at least 3 images, though preferably more. Even/consistent lighting is important. It's also important that the model doesn't move relative to the environment. It would also be helpful if he included an object with known dimensions in the scene so that I can calibrate the size. A ruler could work. If possible, I'd like to get the box with the pinky lever as well.

Here is a little video primer on the process:
Photogrammetry - 3D scan with just your phone/camera
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 11:05:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Bad ass!
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Can anyone tell me the MIL-STD for the brake pressure gauge? Cant seem to dig that up anywhere.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 8:43:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Picked up the Warthog HOTAS last week.  My TRP Peddles and Cougar MFD's came in today.  TrackIR5 Pro is being delivered on Saturday.

Now trying to get everything to work together.  LOL

Windows 10 is a pain in the ass.
View Quote
For what it’s worth I don’t even have TARGET installed on my machine.  I just plugged the MFDs in and use the DirectX joystick drivers for the Warthog.  As long as a game recognizes that the idea of multiple joysticks (which basically everything modern will) then just map them in the game.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 10:38:03 PM EDT
[#46]
When pulling the parking/emergency brake handle, does it have a hydraulic type resistance to it? Figuring out if I need to throw a gas damper on the shaft.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 2:58:31 PM EDT
[#47]
@FlyNavy75 @Sixtigers
@TufelByte

Also, how much force does it take to rotate or pull the handle off its detents?
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 3:36:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
When pulling the parking/emergency brake handle, does it have a hydraulic type resistance to it? Figuring out if I need to throw a gas damper on the shaft.
View Quote
It is a good bit of force.  Same with the wingfold handle.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 8:02:13 PM EDT
[#49]
It’s spring tension. About 10 pounds worth.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 3:17:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Finished the Brake/Emergency Handle mechanism and the brake pressure gauge yesterday. Left console is component complete (minus throttle). Going to start working on modeling the PCBs and start dropping the electronics layer in. Goal on the left/right consoles is have them interface to the rest of the pit with a single USB cable and a single power connection.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top