Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 8/18/2020 8:48:30 PM EDT
J. Robert Oppenheimer: "I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."

Next to Truman who actually authorized not one but two atom bomb drops Oppenheimers face says it all
Win but was the cost worth it?
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 8:51:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 8:52:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb13ynu3Iac

Next to Truman who actually authorized not one but two atom bomb drops Oppenheimers face says it all
View Quote
fuck yes it was.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 8:53:56 PM EDT
[#3]
But of course.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 8:55:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
fuck yes it was.
View Quote
Considering the bushido code the alternative would have meant hundreds of thousands of American lives.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 8:55:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Not winning would have cost so much more.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 8:56:11 PM EDT
[#6]
It was a bargain.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 8:56:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 8:56:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Oppenheimer was a creep, cretin, communist sympathizer, philanderer and a dick bag.

I know plenty of people are in the only Oppenheimer could have done it camp, but this never made much sense to me.

As far as the cost in lives to an invasion of the home islands, it would have been horrendous. After 4 years of brutal fighting in the Pacific the U.S. military would have bombed every house, road and building. The joes on t he ground would have killed anyone that resisted or that did not comply fast enough.

The battle for Okinawa convinced everyone in the U.S. military that the Japaneses were going to go down hard no matter what we did. Just consider mass suicide by civilians in order to avoid capture by the Americans.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 8:56:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Seeing how my grandfather was going to be part of the invasion (32nd ID)...it was absolutely worth it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 8:56:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
fuck yes it was.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

fuck yes it was.

This.
Yes.
My Grandfather in the 1st Cav was being prepped for the invasion of the Jap homeland.
Sew the wind, reap the whirlwind. ZFG.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 8:56:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Back when Men took care of business.  Now it is soyboys fighting fighting restrained police.  Maybe we should Oppenheimer a city or two and take our country back.

Jm2c
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#12]
It was absolutely worth it, not only to save the lives of 500,000+ American and allied troop’s lives but to save the lives of the Japanese nation and culture which would have been wiped off the face of the earth.

They were giving out bamboo spears to everyone. There was going to be no surrender without the bomb.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 9:00:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Or how about the logic used by Theodore Hall, he decided to equalize the playing field, contacted the Soviets and volunteered to keep them apprised of the bomb research.  Because he thought it was unsafe for the world for only the US to have the power. WTF for a nuclear physicist he sure was a massive idiot.  Neils Bohr, same thing.  Assholes.  The very thing they claim to have been trying to prevent by their actions, they brought upon the world
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 9:01:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Back when Men took care of business.  Now it is soyboys fighting fighting restrained police.  Maybe we should Oppenheimer a city or two and take our country back.

Jm2c
View Quote

Yes let's nuke ourselves.   Fantastic idea.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 9:02:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I don’t understand the hand wringing over nuclear weapons. Someone was going to develop them, it is just physics and how the universe is made. If Oppenheimer didn’t do it someone else would’ve. I’m damn glad we were first.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 9:05:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I told my 9yo grandson it was the anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima.  He said "It was good we did it". When I said he might find people to disagree he said "Why, they would never have stopped fighting until they were all dead". Figured it out from his reading, none of us ever mentioned it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 9:06:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I don’t understand the hand wringing over nuclear weapons. Someone was going to develop them, it is just physics and how the universe is made. If Oppenheimer didn’t do it someone else would’ve. I’m damn glad we were first.
View Quote

Yes sir. Another tool in the toolbox.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 9:07:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Worth the cost.

I've also nicknamed both my labs Krishna while they were puppies, as lab puppies are literally, The Destroyer of Worlds.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#19]
"Start out like you can hold out". This old saying gets used in hard times when you know things will get bad. The Japs hit us with a sucker punch and we repaid them in kind. Twice.
My direct family was spread across the globe from Europe to the South Pacific and to a man they all made it home. I never once heard one of these old timers lament using the bomb.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 9:15:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Drama queen.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 9:19:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanos vs J Robert Oppenheimer. Epic Rap Battles of History
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 9:19:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
yes.

Their only mistake was not stockpiling nukes first and then unleashing a Dresden-style carpet bombing of Japan... except with nukes.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 9:20:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Is this a shadowgate IIA thread? Of course it was worth it. Land invasion of mainland japan would have made anything in the Middle East look like happy fun time.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 9:20:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Attachment Attached File

You do qualify your remarks. If someone asked me if we should bomb Japan, a simple "Yes." By all means sir, drop that fucker, twice! I don't mean to suggest that you're indecisive, Mr Hunter. Not at all. Just, uh... complicated. 'course, that's the way the Navy wants you. Me, they wanted simple
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 9:22:57 PM EDT
[#25]
To answer your question; yes. Yes, it was worth it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 9:26:21 PM EDT
[#26]
A bargain at twice the price. My granddad was on a boat heading towards Japan when the surrender was signed, ended up being part of the occupying force afterwards
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 9:33:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Check out Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcasts on The Destroyer of Worlds and then the Supernova in the East series.  Fascinating stuff.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 9:44:04 PM EDT
[#28]
[youtube]v1vXC-vKgKg[/youtube

Beaten like a rented mule.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 9:48:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Doesn't matter.
You can't change it.
Fuck um.
And do it again to the next deserving assholes!
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 9:49:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
[youtube]v1vXC-vKgKg[/youtube

Beaten like a rented mule.
View Quote

What a time to be alive.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 9:55:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Worth the cost.

I've also nicknamed both my labs Krishna while they were puppies, as lab puppies are literally, The Destroyer of Worlds.
View Quote

Hah!

Labs "Chew 'till two".
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 9:55:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Considering the bushido code the alternative would have meant hundreds of thousands of American lives.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
fuck yes it was.

It saved umpteen millions of Japs too.  on Okinawa civilians were committing suicide in droves.

It has also "kept the peace" for the last 75 years.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 9:57:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It saved umpteen millions of Japs too.  on Okinawa civilians were committing suicide in droves.

It has also "kept the peace" for the last 75 years.
View Quote

Yeah, I guess in 30 minutes it can all change
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 9:58:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Jm2c
View Quote

Uh, Oppenheimer was a 130 pound communist who couldn't pass the Army physical because he was so underweight.

He was also brilliant and we wouldn't have developed the bomb in time without him. Things are usually more nuanced than people would like to believe
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 10:01:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Was it worth it? Japan fucked around, and found out!
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 10:07:22 PM EDT
[#36]

what a puss

Link Posted: 8/18/2020 10:09:20 PM EDT
[#37]
We should have dropped 200 more IMO.

The Japanese earned it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 10:12:18 PM EDT
[#38]
I sincerely hope the anecdote about his meeting with Truman is real.

Oppenheimer allegedly said "Mr. President,  I feel as if I have blood on my hands." Truman angrily tossed him his handkerchief and replied "Well wipe them off! The blood is on my hands." He then told his aide to never let that crybaby pansy in the Whitehouse again.

W,stte....
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 10:12:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Yes, it was. It was better for the Allies, better for the Japanese and better for the world.

Honestly, I don't even understand how anyone could think otherwise. For starters the Allies weren't just going to go away and leave the Japanese empire intact with their leaders still in place and still attempting to build a nuclear bomb of their own. And they were not going to surrender. Hell, they didn't surrender after the first bomb and they were given the opportunity. 3 days passed between Little Boy and Fat Man. If we hadn't nuked them, regular bombings would have continued, including the possibility of more fire bombings, and an invasion would have taken place. IMO and the opinion of most experts the death toll on both sides would have been in the millions. It would have been unimaginably worse. And eventually nukes would have been used. Fat Man was 80 times more powerful than Little Boy. Even a year or two later they would have been more powerful. By 1960 we could build nuclear bombs several thousands times more powerful than Fat Man. The world had to see it before we could know how horrible it was. It was best seeing it when the bombs were still small.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 10:13:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bingo.  Plus without them we probably would have fought an incredibly bloody war with the Soviet Union.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 10:15:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Drama queen.
View Quote

Yep.

Pretty privileged of him to wring and gnash his hands because he wasn't the one fighting hand to hand in a midnight jungle fresh off a LCI in the Pacific on some shitty atoll that no one can find on a map.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 10:15:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Seeing how my grandfather was going to be part of the invasion (32nd ID)...it was absolutely worth it.
View Quote

My paternal grandfather was also a "Red Arrow".
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 10:16:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I sincerely hope the anecdote about his meeting with Truman is real.

Oppenheimer allegedly said "Mr. President,  I feel as if I have blood on my hands." Truman angrily tossed him his handkerchief and replied "Well wipe them off! The blood is on my hands." He then told his aide to never let that crybaby pansy in the Whitehouse again.

W,stte....
View Quote
Lol read in Dan Carlin's voice.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 10:19:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Plunged the world into the nuclear age. For the first time, man gained the power to destroy mankind.

Probably not a good thing, on the whole. However, that cat was never going to stay in the bag. Someone was going to discover it, and use it. I'm glad it was us.

I sometimes wonder on what date there were enough nuclear weapons on Earth to render humans extinct. Was it on completion of the 50th bomb? 100th? 1,000th? Hard to know for sure, as it would depend on where they were deployed.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 10:20:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Absolutely.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 10:20:43 PM EDT
[#46]
My dad was staged in the Philippines, getting ready for the invasion of Japan, so I'm thankful for the bombs.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 10:21:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 10:22:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
fuck yes it was.

No doubt, but still a difficult decision and many what ifs for the future.  Probably never had one day go by afterwards without guilt.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 10:23:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Jm2c
View Quote

You should get some fresh air
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 10:26:11 PM EDT
[#50]
That bottle was going to be uncorked one way or another. The world being exposed to that type of power while it was in its infancy was the best possible outcome.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top