Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/1/2024 2:28:44 PM EDT
The Oregon Supreme Court said Thursday that 10 Republican state senators who staged a record-long walkout last year to stall bills on abortion, transgender health care and gun rights cannot run for reelection.

The decision upholds the secretary of state's decision to disqualify the senators from the ballot under a voter-approved measure aimed at stopping such boycotts. Measure 113, passed by voters in 2022, amended the state constitution to bar lawmakers from reelection if they have more than 10 unexcused absences.

https://hosted.ap.org/article/f1d270db9e9a72935c13b973d79a4bb7/oregon-high-court-says-10-gop-state-senators-who-staged
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 2:31:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Oregon deserves everything it's getting and going to get.

Link Posted: 2/1/2024 2:32:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I believe they are even more of a lost cause than California.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 2:33:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Actual election interference
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 2:34:27 PM EDT
[#4]
When they say Oregon High Court, they really mean high court.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 2:39:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Oregon supreme court is a rubber stamp for democrats.

Before the democrats pushed in vote by mail we actually had a two party system, when republicans would be in power the democrats would stage walkouts the media would hail them as heroes. Now that democrats have the permanent majority walkouts have to be quashed.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 3:11:55 PM EDT
[#6]
"Oregon eliminates democracy in an effort to protect democracy."
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Haven't OR commies done the same thing in the past?
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 3:21:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

That’s different and honorable.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 3:40:50 PM EDT
[#9]
What happens when they win the write-in vote?
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 3:43:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 3:49:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Well, they broke the law passed by ballot measure. It's unfortunate, but they knew what would happen. If it were Democrat lawmakers skipping out on a Republican legislature, we'd be screaming bloody murder too.

View Quote

Their argument was that the language of the bill barred them from running in the next election, but was not a permanent ban. Oregon supreme court has a history of ignoring the language and intent of bills and finding in favor of democrats.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 3:59:57 PM EDT
[#12]
The law was no doubt created as a way to prevent Republicans from using this tactic, with the added benefit of removing any Republicans who use it from the board. This is authoritarian banana republic shit.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 4:06:20 PM EDT
[#13]
If Republicans can continue to win, they can continue the process one term at a time.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 4:07:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Well, they broke the law passed by ballot measure. It's unfortunate, but they knew what would happen. If it were Democrat lawmakers skipping out on a Republican legislature, we'd be screaming bloody murder too.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Oregon Supreme Court said Thursday that 10 Republican state senators who staged a record-long walkout last year to stall bills on abortion, transgender health care and gun rights cannot run for reelection.

The decision upholds the secretary of state's decision to disqualify the senators from the ballot under a voter-approved measure aimed at stopping such boycotts. Measure 113, passed by voters in 2022, amended the state constitution to bar lawmakers from reelection if they have more than 10 unexcused absences.

https://hosted.ap.org/article/f1d270db9e9a72935c13b973d79a4bb7/oregon-high-court-says-10-gop-state-senators-who-staged

And look who comes to the defense of tyranny.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 4:08:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except in this case they are punishing the voters not the lawmakers IMO.  Fine them, arrest them, whatever them, but it's pretty un-American to ban any real American from a ballot.  Let the people decide their fate.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 4:08:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Who decides what is an excused absence?
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 4:10:37 PM EDT
[#17]
What a fucking shit hole.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 4:18:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Banana republic.

many states are this way or on their way
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 4:20:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm torn on this one.  Not showing up for your job should be a reason to be removed from it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 4:24:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm torn on this one.  Not showing up for your job should be a reason to be removed from it.
View Quote

Parliamentary rules, denying a quorum is fair game.

eta- your job in politics is representing your voters, in this case by stopping democrats from doing evil democrat stuff.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Of course they did. The PNW is so fucked
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 4:30:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Typical west coast bullshit. CA WA OR are a left wing run dictatorship.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Typical west coast bullshit. CA WA OR are a left wing run dictatorship.
View Quote

Allow vote by mail and your state will be the same.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 4:34:04 PM EDT
[#24]
The PNW has went quadruple super duper full retard+++.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 4:40:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Umm...who determines the "excused" part. All absences by dems are excused and all by repubs are unexcused???
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 4:51:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 4:54:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Their job is to protect me from Democrats passing shit.  
Showing up and voting no fails that.
Not showing up and not voting accomplishes that.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 4:56:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

What if the people who hired you ask you to walk out?
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 5:04:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 5:09:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What a load of bullcrap. How the hell do you draw the conclusion that I'm defending tyranny?

What I said: "There's a law that says they can't do that, and we also get mad when Dems run out to block votes"
What you see: "Zhukov loves tyranny. Hurr Durr."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And look who comes to the defense of tyranny.

What a load of bullcrap. How the hell do you draw the conclusion that I'm defending tyranny?

What I said: "There's a law that says they can't do that, and we also get mad when Dems run out to block votes"

I took it as a joke, because of your username.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 5:10:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Is this a GD can’t decide whether to shit or go blind situation ?

Good cause they didn’t show up for work so they could allow your rights to be violated?
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Unfortunately I agree and I live here
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 5:16:31 PM EDT
[#34]
How very Soviet of them.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 5:17:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The law was no doubt created as a way to prevent Republicans from using this tactic, with the added benefit of removing any Republicans who use it from the board. This is authoritarian banana republic shit.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 5:18:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Oregon supreme court is a rubber stamp for democrats.

Before the democrats pushed in vote by mail we actually had a two party system, when republicans would be in power the democrats would stage walkouts the media would hail them as heroes. Now that democrats have the permanent majority walkouts have to be quashed.
View Quote

So how many democrats have previously exceeded the magic #10? Presumably they're being banned too.

RULE 4: “Make the enemy live up to its own book of rules.”
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 5:27:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
"Getting mad" and barring them from elections where they have won due to the voice of the people are the same thing?

What if they make the Republican party illegal in that fascist state? That'll be "legal" too.

BTW, they are not far at all from that so it's not a ridiculous reductio ad absurdum argument.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 5:28:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

That really needs to be the title of the op Ed all these guys write as they post pics of them selling their houses and moving to another state.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 5:37:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Texas 2003
And again in 2021.

Link Posted: 2/1/2024 5:37:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
What happens when they win the write-in vote?
View Quote

That was my question.

"Can't run for reelection" is different from "can't be reelected".
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 5:42:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It's not a joke. He thinks because I don't blindly follow the same heterodoxy that he does that I'm a lover of tyranny.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I took it as a joke, because of your username.

It's not a joke. He thinks because I don't blindly follow the same heterodoxy that he does that I'm a lover of tyranny.

You are partially correct. My 'heterodoxy' does not include banning of the opposition from the ballot. Yours isn't as exclusive.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 5:50:52 PM EDT
[#43]
The bad news is that these laws get passed because the cities are blue voters while the rest of the state is red, but the population is in the cities so...
The good news is that so far all the poop and drug use is also concentrated in the cities.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Eugene and north on I-5 deserves everything they are getting.

From my time living in the south the rest of Oregon is more red than the south.

I keep hoping for an asteroid to hit Salem.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 6:00:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, but that was different.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 6:04:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even with methford and assland slowly trying to blue things up, its still more red.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 6:14:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Did they pass the law before or after they walked out?
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 6:15:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Have their spouses run in their place.  Keeps name recognition.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

As a coloradoan, I agree because we do too
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 6:20:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The bad news is that these laws get passed because the cities are blue voters while the rest of the state is red, but the population is in the cities so...

The good news is that so far all the poop and drug use is also concentrated in the cities.
View Quote

Democrats are utterly dominant because of our vote by mail laws, same with WA.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top