BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 8:33:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Damn. That’s awesome.

Edit: And Enterprise had the best Orion Slave Girls.  I’d post a pic, but thread would get shut down.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 9:34:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

My nerd boner is starting to show, but I remember seeing Generations in theaters, bigger budget, cleaner SFX.. this scene gave me chills (best quality I could find in a quick search) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxGg9HMStoI

That at the end of the movie when the Klingon Bird of Prey exploded... (Me) "WHAT! That's the same effect used in the previous movie!" Hadn't heard about the budget part, makes sense.

And yes, First Contact is the best 'Trek movie. Surprisingly I didn't mind the JJ Abrams reboots too much, I think mostly because the casting was near perfect. I wish DS9 had gotten a movie of their own.

ETA: The part about the Duras sisters getting a kick-ass ship would explain the bullshit Reman Scimitar warship in Nemesis. A massive warbird built in secret with a MacGuffin of a bioweapon and able to fire while cloaked... stealing from Star Trek VI this time.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/picard-272.gif
View Quote

That scene, while great, illustrates perfectly one of my frustrations with sci Fi. Why, hundreds of years from now, would it take a half dozen button pushes to get the ship moving? I can speak to my phone and get navigation back out of it. Why aren't they speaking orders to their ships more? Or thinking to them?

And that time Riker busted out a joystick?

Sorry for that rant.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 9:35:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Damn. That’s awesome.

Edit: And Enterprise had the best Orion Slave Girls.  I’d post a pic, but thread would get shut down.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Damn. That’s awesome.

I was looking for an image from one of the Ships Of The Line calendars from a few years ago when I ran across that.  I found another cool one from the 2018 calendar of the USAF Thunderbirds flying in formation with the TOS Enterprise but i couldn't find a good quality pic to post.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 9:43:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I was under the impression the reason they killed off the D was it didn't work so well in the widescreen of movie effects.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 2:38:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My nerd boner is starting to show, but I remember seeing Generations in theaters, bigger budget, cleaner SFX.. this scene gave me chills (best quality I could find in a quick search) -

That at the end of the movie when the Klingon Bird of Prey exploded... (Me) "WHAT! That's the same effect used in the previous movie!" Hadn't heard about the budget part, makes sense.

And yes, First Contact is the best 'Trek movie. Surprisingly I didn't mind the JJ Abrams reboots too much, I think mostly because the casting was near perfect. I wish DS9 had gotten a movie of their own.

ETA: The part about the Duras sisters getting a kick-ass ship would explain the bullshit Reman Scimitar warship in Nemesis. A massive warbird built in secret with a MacGuffin of a bioweapon and able to fire while cloaked... stealing from Star Trek VI this time.

[url]
View Quote

Those Plot points being re used in Nemisis would explain one of the more curious lines in that movie. When the villian says he has no interest in Picard's quaint ship.

Um... Wasn't the Enterprise E still one of the newest and most advanced ships in Starfleet at that time?

But it's not like these shows always obey their own internal logic. The Scimitar itself was basically what you get when you build a ship with all the cheat codes.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 2:41:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That scene, while great, illustrates perfectly one of my frustrations with sci Fi. Why, hundreds of years from now, would it take a half dozen button pushes to get the ship moving? I can speak to my phone and get navigation back out of it. Why aren't they speaking orders to their ships more? Or thinking to them?

And that time Riker busted out a joystick?

Sorry for that rant.
View Quote

Well, what would you say is the best designed user interface you have seen on a science fiction ship? There have been quite a few over the years.

It seems like a lot of the helm's where the pilot thinks and the ship goes where they want also wind up having to have the pilot be either naked or almost naked to use said interface properly.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 3:14:58 AM EDT
[#7]
wish they were tic tac shaped like real life
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 5:35:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Well, what would you say is the best designed user interface you have seen on a science fiction ship? There have been quite a few over the years.

View Quote

Clearly, there is only one choice:

Link Posted: 10/28/2021 5:52:51 AM EDT
[#9]
View Quote
Why does this remind me of Total Recall?
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 9:50:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/H2RL1rQ.jpg

Excelsior Refit, USS Lakota.
View Quote

That was a very nice-looking ship.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 10:03:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/picard-272.gif
View Quote

My main complaint about the TNG movies, especially the later ones, was that they couldn't seem to come up with new ideas.  They just took pieces of previous episodes and slapped them together.  Hey, how about a holodeck ship that makes the people on it think they're still on their own planet!  We did that in Season 7!  And the cloaked observation post watching the rural people!  We did that in season 3!  And you know if they hadn't stopped after Nemesis, they'd have used B4 to bring Data back like Spock in Star Trek 3.

I guess my other main complaint was destroying Data's character and using him as comic relief.  That and the lazy writing in general.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 10:50:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It seems like a lot of the helm's where the pilot thinks and the ship goes where they want also wind up having to have the pilot be either naked or almost naked to use said interface properly.
View Quote

The TNG and later LCARS interface is certainly NOT in the top 100 interfaces.

A row of buttons with small numbers printed on them?  Which one shuts down the impulse reactor again?  Is it this pinkish one with 15435.6 on it or the mustard yellow with 453.8?  Oh shit, that one ejected the warp core.  So, what's playing for movie night?  We're gonna be here a while.

How about a button that says ON and OFF?
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 10:52:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maintenance/repair order; "Does not work in Off mode."
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 10:57:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The TNG and later LCARS interface is certainly NOT in the top 100 interfaces.

A row of buttons with small numbers printed on them?  Which one shuts down the impulse reactor again?  Is it this pinkish one with 15435.6 on it or the mustard yellow with 453.8?  Oh shit, that one ejected the warp core.  So, what's playing for movie night?  We're gonna be here a while.

View Quote

Never mind the famous design issue of the consoles being full of plasma or something that explodes when the ship gets bumped.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 2:28:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Never mind the famous design issue of the consoles being full of plasma or something that explodes when the ship gets bumped.
View Quote

I still laugh my ass off watching a control panel explode removing half a red shirts face over a hit on the back end of the ship.  I guess no one thought about fiber optic isolation?  Hell, I figured that out 20 years ago when we were having issues in a large building with our video cables we pulled from one end of the building to the next.  Each end of the building had different power sources.  We had about 5V of ground potential they could not figure out.  I looked at the designer and told him simple. Fiber it.  Done.  
If cars today were like the Enterprise, the dash board would explode with every pothole.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 3:27:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Easy, it was on the Enterprise-D

Lt. Barclay is the computer

I mean sure, there's that slight downside...
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 4:51:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Refit for sure.

For non-Enterprise ships I really like the looks of the:

S31 Nimrod-class
Attachment Attached File

Terran Empire Styx-class
Attachment Attached File
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top