Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/21/2023 12:04:51 AM EDT
I believe that modern man has had generations of mental growth throughout our brief existence. Why would I listen to the ancient word of any man from millennia ago? We joke about Idiocracy being a self-fulfilling fantasy, but I believe we get smarter the longer we’ve been on this earth.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 12:09:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Those idiots thought there were only 2 genders
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 12:11:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Absolutely.

Link Posted: 11/21/2023 12:12:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I believe that modern man has had generations of mental growth throughout our brief existence. Why would I listen to the ancient word of any man from millennia ago?
View Quote
Have you seen our leaders of today?
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 12:13:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I believe that modern man has had generations of mental growth throughout our brief existence. Why would I listen to the ancient word of any man from millennia ago?

Smart enough that they have more resources than I. They can keep it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 12:13:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Because they knew how to survive without the creature comforts and that might come in handy some day.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 12:14:07 AM EDT
[#6]
The most intelligent human to ever live does not currently.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 12:20:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Given what people accomplished a few centuries ago with limited technology, I think they had to be smarter. Today young people cant do math without a calculator. Attention deficit is rampant.
Imagine sailing the oceans in the 1600's or building some of the large cathedrals, castles, cities.

I can't find a plumber today. No trades or little focus on the education of such. We have dumbed our society down in many respects.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 12:20:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Most Americans can’t walk out their door and point north. Walking 10 miles? Not gonna happen.

Obtaining fresh water and maybe food if you live long enough to get hungry? Nope

Make shelter and fire? LoL

The ancients were not stupid. They triumphed in a world far more dangerous than the one we know. I respect them.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 12:24:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Most Americans can’t walk out their door and point north. Walking 10 miles? Not gonna happen.

Obtaining fresh water and maybe food if you live long enough to get hungry? Nope

Make shelter and fire? LoL

The ancients were not stupid. They triumphed in a world far more dangerous than the one we know. I respect them.
View Quote

The penalty for stupidity as recently as two hundred years ago was usually a painful and violent death.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 12:24:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Today’s society lacks wisdom, almost nonexistent anymore.

Without it, intelligence is useless.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 12:25:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Society is putting a short in evolution now with the penalty for being stupid is having someone else provide for you.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 12:27:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I believe that modern man has had generations of mental growth throughout our brief existence. Why would I listen to the ancient word of any man from millennia ago? We joke about Idiocracy being a self-fulfilling fantasy, but I believe we get smarter the longer we've been on this earth.
View Quote
Nope.

Lots of people have forgotten how to survive during hard times.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 12:32:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Well, we’re going back that way. What comes around, goes around.

Link Posted: 11/21/2023 12:33:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 12:39:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I think there are peaks and valleys of average intelligence of any population over time, currently we're on a long downslope of a peak

There was probably the right combo of selection pressures that gave a fitness edge to smarts, a surplus of food (less important than for expression of height genes, afaik), etc.

but now dumb people can survive and reproduce and we actually subsidize it.

eta: I think you should actually read some shit from smart people of the past 2000 years, they weren't stupid at all

Link Posted: 11/21/2023 12:43:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 12:44:58 AM EDT
[#17]
I’ve been reading a lot about Shackleton and others recently (probably did as a kid but forgot).

Those fellas survived months, even years in the Antarctic on expeditions, and being stranded.

That’s problem solving, planning - and being able to adjust those plans based on situations that arise far beyond what most people encounter today.

I think we’ve lost a lot of intelligence due to technology.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 12:49:02 AM EDT
[#18]
If this is the highest state of evolution…. It’s sad
I think only a few of this generation could survive 100 , 200 or 300 years ago
Most  of the people I meet don’t carry a pocket knife let alone how to sharpen it. The majority of students I take camping have never started a fire. I try to remedy that.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 12:49:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 1:01:35 AM EDT
[#20]
People as a group have grown more intelligent because they generally have time to focus on becoming more intelligent in specific technical fields instead of worrying about survival and menial labor than decades past.  If you, as a child, can learn the fundamental knowledge of human milestones as a young kid and  then don't have to worry about surviving or grinding out an existence; you have enough time in your mental-peak years to expand upon the human knowledge base.

I think AI, if utilized properly, is going to create another renaissance of knowledge for humans. The ability for almost anyone of even mediocre intelligence to tap into and sort and filter the vast amounts of collected human data is going to be a paradigm shift in basically all scientific field that utilize statistics and test methodology.

Unfortunately, more realistically, the "idiocracy" doctrine will probably end up applying and the few people in charge will harness the power of AI to stay in power, protect the accumulated wealth in the hands of the elite, and convince all wage slaves to buy more dick & hair pills.  Well, either that or skynet.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 1:03:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Lots of book smart people today will crash hard when the shtf,

Because if they don't have their phones & computers to surf youtube how to survive or momma's to cry to they're pretty much fucked
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 1:40:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Why would you believe that?

Those early ancestors with larger brains or the other ones?
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 1:47:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Wrong, Marcus Aurelius held a crumbling empire together with nothing but the strength of his will.

Do you think ANY American politician today has that capacity.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 2:04:39 AM EDT
[#24]
All the prehistoric fossils found are women.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 2:12:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Plato, Socrates, Aristotle, Shakespeare, Milton, authors of the books of the Bible, Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, builders of the great cathedrals and castles in Europe - MORONS!
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 2:24:01 AM EDT
[#26]
There is no "likely". They were provably less intelligent, although the west is starting to regress. For the Majority of human history, the vast majority of people had little to no formal education at all. GD likes shitting on public schools, but they were a game changer, along with the industrial revolution eventually leading to enough of an increase in living standards to allow parents to send their kids off to be educated instead of having to work themselves.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 2:37:25 AM EDT
[#27]
We have much higher IQ than 100 years ago. Why?

People of even 100 years ago had to work all day to provide for the next day. They didn't have time to be a thinker and develop abstract thinking.  

Modern society allows thinkers to be thinkers. Thinkers don't have to spend their time working in the fields to make sure the harvest is in time for winter.  

Modern society allows far more thinkers to find a mate and pass on their intellectual genes.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 3:59:28 AM EDT
[#28]
In the late 40's, early 50's, todays Democrats would have been locked up for being insane.  That would have been the correct course of action.

The US population was much smarter then than it is today.  It was much better educated too.

"No Child Left Behind" was used to prevent most true and useful education from happening.  High stakes testing is a weapon used to dramatically reduce the national education level.  Same thing for womans studies, gender studies, critical race theory and on and on.

People in the world today are far less intelligent in the net or effective sense.  

Dumbing down is a goal of the Left, because Left voters and supporters are much less intelligent than Conservative voters and supporters.

No intelligent person, in net intelligence,  can be a Democrat.

Link Posted: 11/21/2023 4:16:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Galileo, DaVinci, Isaac Newton, Aristotle, Archimedes, Socrates, Euclid, Pythagoras, Plato, Copernicus, Beethoven, Michelangelo, Pascal, Gauss, Kepler, etc, etc say "Hold my beer".

Perhaps OP  meant that our species collectively knows more than we used to. If there has been a general increase in individual IQ's there's darn little evidence of that. Much more to the contrary it would appear.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 4:47:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Antikythera Mechanism. An astronomical calculator that predicts eclipses, planetary movements for virtually any point in time. Built roughly 2,000 years ago.

Scientists find New Secrets of the Ancient Astronomical Calculation Machine | Antikythera Mechanism

Link Posted: 11/21/2023 4:58:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Today’s society lacks wisdom, almost nonexistent anymore.

View Quote

BINGO!
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 4:59:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I believe that modern man has had generations of mental growth throughout our brief existence. Why would I listen to the ancient word of any man from millennia ago? We joke about Idiocracy being a self-fulfilling fantasy, but I believe we get smarter the longer we’ve been on this earth.
View Quote

Yeah, there were a lot of Romans who believed the same things as you did for decades before the "official" 476AD "fall of Rome". Generational intelligence and technological improvements don't erase the propensity of man's greed, corruption, and love of power, which in turn creates a complacent, dependent, weak, and lazy populous...which is where we are headed. That sounds like a pretty ignorant people who tend to repeat history because they lack the intelligence to avoid (or ignore) the mistakes of the past for the fallacies of comfort, security, self-importance, and the grand sense of self-entitlement. Sure, more knowledge, but not necessarily smarter.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 5:37:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Today's society lacks wisdom, almost nonexistent anymore.

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/21/2023 6:23:11 AM EDT
[#34]
We have just collected more information over time than they had in their time.

Our brains are not as good as theirs were because we have a build up of bad genes over many generations.

If you took an average baby from today, and an average baby from then, and raised them identically. The one from then would be the better problem solver.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 6:25:33 AM EDT
[#35]
The brain has to evolve and thus be amply worked.

Silly.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 6:30:50 AM EDT
[#36]
I don’t think human behavior has changed much in the millennia.  Confucius had 2 students:  one knew man is, by nature, evil & that he will sell his children into prostitution.  He had another student who truly believed man is “good” and if he encountered the child prostitute, he would buy the children & raise them as his own trying to teach them “right” from “wrong.”

Laws are needed to keep evil man in place; “natural magnanimity” means laws aren’t needed for the “good man.”

Look around these days—which of Confucius’ students was correct?

It amazes me humans aren’t back in caves most of the time I interact with their poor choices & self-inflicted stupidity that costs their “fellow man” tax dollars in healthcare to rinse, lather & repeat ad nauseum…..

Link Posted: 11/21/2023 6:34:13 AM EDT
[#37]
OP’s premise is based on intellectual homogeneity. The reality is that we have fewer thinkers, innovators and doers but more moochers, looters and useless people being enabled by technology.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 6:36:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Galileo, DaVinci, Isaac Newton, Aristotle, Archimedes, Socrates, Euclid, Pythagoras, Plato, Copernicus, Beethoven, Michelangelo, Pascal, Gauss, Kepler, etc, etc say "Hold my beer".

Perhaps OP  meant that our species collectively knows more than we used to. If there has been a general increase in individual IQ's there's darn little evidence of that. Much more to the contrary it would appear.
View Quote

I’m always amused when “intelligent” posters forget something the Eugenics movement demonstrated when the genius idea of breeding geniuses lead to average intelligent offspring: regression to the mean.

Granted, the studies were small, but breed 2 genius athletes & you will not reliably produce Kahn Noonien Singh as often as you might get Billy Bob Schleprock, who’s content to work 3rd shift at Walmart & live in the trailer park, even with all the advantages the parents offer in rearing said child.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 6:39:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Not all generations get smarter. Geography and genetics may play a part as well. That whole Ancient Rome verses modern day wherever examples.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 6:39:47 AM EDT
[#40]
IQ was higher in the Victorian age 100+ years ago.

Link Posted: 11/21/2023 6:48:53 AM EDT
[#41]
some old dudes wrote the Constitution and I think they were quite smart.  But I doubt a caveman could do it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 7:06:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If this is the highest state of evolution…. It’s sad
I think only a few of this generation could survive 100 , 200 or 300 years ago
Most  of the people I meet don’t carry a pocket knife let alone how to sharpen it. The majority of students I take camping have never started a fire. I try to remedy that.
View Quote

Ain't that the truth! I'm late X but I was raised by boomers and before, but a thing that was drilled into my head and has held true is that a good pocket knife is the most useful tool that you can have!  You can be a MENSA  member and be brought to your knees by a small piece of box tape.

If Joe country breaks out a knife, it's like you are  the one eyed man showing up in the valley of the blind. People will literally search you out to open things for them in the future!
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 7:11:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
some old dudes wrote the Constitution and I think they were quite smart.  But I doubt a caveman could do it.
View Quote
I doubt anyone in Congress could do it.

Link Posted: 11/21/2023 7:12:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 7:16:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Were they all politicians ?
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 7:18:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Intelligence probably plateaued somewhere around the establishment of the welfare state and has been declining probably over the last 100yrs due to modern technology/medicine.

Link Posted: 11/21/2023 7:21:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The penalty for stupidity as recently as two hundred years ago was usually a painful and violent death.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/21/2023 7:35:25 AM EDT
[#48]
I’m not sure I agree with you knowledge not intelligence is accumulative.

The Romans were highly intelligent they just did not have the technology to bring
the Industrial Revolution, nor did the Egyptians yet, they built giant structures that are difficult to build today. Not only did they build them they did it with a high degree of accuracy.

Also edited to add without coffee, engineers simply cannot design complicated things, that is science!
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 7:39:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
There is no "likely". They were provably less intelligent, although the west is starting to regress. For the Majority of human history, the vast majority of people had little to no formal education at all. GD likes shitting on public schools, but they were a game changer, along with the industrial revolution eventually leading to enough of an increase in living standards to allow parents to send their kids off to be educated instead of having to work themselves.
View Quote

This is the leftist take (most/all intelligence is a function of environment...also conflating education with intelligence).  It's mostly bullshit.  They predicted that education alone would raise average intelligence in developing countries but the effects were marginal.  Teaching someone how to read better might increase their test score, but does it really mean they're more intelligent?  Doubtful.

Public education really became a thing around the time of the industrial revolution in order to create more efficient/obedient worker bees.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 7:41:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
We have much higher IQ than 100 years ago. Why?

People of even 100 years ago had to work all day to provide for the next day. They didn't have time to be a thinker and develop abstract thinking.  

Modern society allows thinkers to be thinkers. Thinkers don't have to spend their time working in the fields to make sure the harvest is in time for winter.  

Modern society allows far more thinkers to find a mate and pass on their intellectual genes.
View Quote

People have had time to be thinkers since we domesticated animals.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top