Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 3/20/2014 6:57:27 AM EDT
Anybody have a P-3 Orion or P-8 Poseidon story?  

Occasionally, I will see a P-3  doing touch & go's at our local airport in eastern Washington.  

All I know is that is does serves several missions such as maritime patrol, reconnaissance, anti-surface warfare and anti-submarine warfare.

P-8 Poseidon:   The modern P-3.

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:13:39 AM EDT
[#1]

I was in the 5th grade at Lajes, circa 1982-3.  The classroom had an ocean view.  The Base alerted; yellow lights going off everywhere.  It was unusual at the time NOT to hear AC constantly off in the distance; but this particular day, a P-3 was buzzing the school, AWOL RocK, and a piece of the ocean.    The Orion began dropping 'things' out of her belly (sonobuoys, I presume) in one particular area, a few more during each pass.  After a few passes a sub surfaced.  The sub was so close, we could see people on the tower.  Within a minute or so, another P3 joined the pattern.  I swear, they started dropping right on the sub.

Lasted a couple of hours, the sub moved on and eventually went back under water.

I later learned that it was the Russians.

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:15:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:15:58 AM EDT
[#3]
My granddaddy was a p3 pilot, and he said a 2 engine jet over the North Atlantic at 100 ft above the waves in a storm wouldn't be worth a damn.

He said it more like an arfcom rant, that is the clean version
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:17:04 AM EDT
[#4]
No stories of my own, but I work with a bunch of retired P-3 Flight Engineers.  Some of their sea stories sound like something out of a movie.  CSB and all that jazz.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:27:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No stories of my own, but I work with a bunch of retired P-3 Flight Engineers.  Some of their sea stories sound like something out of a movie.  CSB and all that jazz.
View Quote

"Swallowed by rogue wave.  Port observation window breached.  Giant octopus entered and it took two hours to fistfight the creature into submission.  Plane surfaced and we returned to base.  Octopus decided to enlist."
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:30:23 AM EDT
[#6]
This is interesting
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:31:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My granddaddy was a p3 pilot, and he said a 2 engine jet over the North Atlantic at 100 ft above the waves in a storm wouldn't be worth a damn.

He said it more like an arfcom rant, that is the clean version
View Quote

The P-8 isn't meant to ride the waves like the Orion.  It's operating altitude is significantly higher.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:41:00 AM EDT
[#8]
This thread is relevant to my interests.

My father was a P-3 engine mechanic when he was in the Navy back in the 60's He was stationed over at Moffett field. 2 stories of his that come to mind is one night, he was working a late shift and was groggy, he walked right through a prop that was winding down. He got lucky that day.

The second one is they were coming in for landing and flying over the Santa Cruz mountains. I down burst caused them to drop over 1000 ft very quickly.

Thats all I have. Its a neat plane. I fell in love with it when he told me they hunted submarines. Thought that was the coolest thing.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:48:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Originally Posted By P3 crewmembers:
And this one time, we had to stay in a 3-star hotel.  Can you believe it?  That's one step above sharing a bathroom.

Back before there was direct deposit, DFAS had to mail our checks to Souda, then we had to walk, yes walk, all the way to the NEX to cash them!

Then there was that time I had to land with only 3 engines online.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:57:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was in the 5th grade at Lajes, circa 1982-3.  The classroom had an ocean view.  The Base alerted; yellow lights going off everywhere.  It was unusual at the time NOT to hear AC constantly off in the distance; but this particular day, a P-3 was buzzing the school, AWOL RocK, and a piece of the ocean.    The Orion began dropping 'things' out of her belly (sonobuoys, I presume) in one particular area, a few more during each pass.  After a few passes a sub surfaced.  The sub was so close, we could see people on the tower.  Within a minute or so, another P3 joined the pattern.  I swear, they started dropping right on the sub.

Lasted a couple of hours, the sub moved on and eventually went back under water.

View Quote

Really? A Russian sub surfaces within seeing distance of the American coast? During the Cold War? Or were you not in the States?

Either way that sounds pretty cool.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:02:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Been in some EC-130's because I was based at D-M.   The last that I know of.  
Also been in couple of AC-130's.  Super cool.  And some B1-B's & some Stealth Fighters.  

Lost a B-29 pilot family member in the Pacific.  

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:07:58 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a story about them but I was just an observer, not a pilot.  My ship was playing anti-submarine warfare with a Navy Submarine.  I was the lookout on my ship trying to help spot the sub (it was after dark).  There was a P-3 Orion dropping sonobuoys all over trying to help find this sub.  To this day I belive I saw the sub surface 50 feet behind our ship as we were steaming ahead at 15 knots.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:14:30 AM EDT
[#13]
This thread is now about the P-2V Neptune.

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:17:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Really? A Russian sub surfaces within seeing distance of the American coast? During the Cold War? Or were you not in the States?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lajes Field, The Azores, Portugal.

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:19:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Nifty flying machine...too bad the engines are up-side down.

I was TDY at Rosey Roads in '85 and the P-3's that were there had THE most awesome tail markings EVER!
A hooded executioner chopping a bloody sub in half with an axe!
And Me with no camera. I've searched on line , but found nothing.

The Ol' Crew Chief
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:21:28 AM EDT
[#16]

Ah, I miss Lajes. Always had a good time there.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:21:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Uncle is a retired Commander in the USN.  Flew P-3's for most of his career before they closed down their home base on Oahu.  I'll try to find some pics.  I have many from when I was a little boy in and out of the P3's.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:22:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think Lajes is in the Azores.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:22:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:25:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lajes is Spain or the Azores, like in his avatar.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:25:49 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes

It was a great place to grow up.  The Base, the caves, all the planes.  Great friends, excellent memories.

(once you get used to the smell; that is...

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:27:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I was TDY at Rosey Roads in '85 and the P-3's that were there had THE most awesome tail markings EVER!
A hooded executioner chopping a bloody sub in half with an axe!
And Me with no camera. I've searched on line , but found nothing.

The Ol' Crew Chief
View Quote

Came here to post this.

I was on Rota, we needed a prop change kit. The dudes at the P3 squadron were giving me shit.

They asked if I needed help,I said no.."Me and another Marine will drop it and change it, test it and QA it, you all just make sure the correct stuff is in the kit please...we may need someone to drive the forklift, so if you any of you want to do that or hand us tools.."

Few weeks later, we were helping them in some down time. They were also jellie we were drinking beers, in silkies on the flight line washing a plane with no cranials on.

Good guys, all in all.

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:27:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Top of the Rock or the bowling ally burgers and beer was always welcome after a long, boring translant flight in a Herk.

ETA: I hope no one in adjoining rooms ever used face cloths that were left on the foot of the beds
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:28:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

<a href="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/63/P2V-7_VP-7_1954.jpg" target="_blank">http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/63/P2V-7_VP-7_1954.jpg/750px-P2V-7_VP-7_1954.jpg</a>
View Quote

They're still with us doing other things...

Water bomber for forest fires now.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:28:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Maritime Patrol for the MFing win!

By the way, the current Pacific Fleet Commander is a P-3 TACCO!
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:32:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure if this is a failure of reading comprehension or failure of geographical knowledge.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:33:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, and was one of the key Cold War deployment sites.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:41:45 AM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

<a href="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/63/P2V-7_VP-7_1954.jpg" target="_blank">http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/63/P2V-7_VP-7_1954.jpg/750px-P2V-7_VP-7_1954.jpg</a>

They're still with us doing other things...

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k562/jacksfriend/Airplanes/DSCF0247_zps1569ed23.jpghttp://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k562/jacksfriend/Airplanes/DSCF0248_zps44f9e74f.jpg

Water bomber for forest fires now.

Oh, believe me, I know. Used to fight fires beside them. Had some great photos, till my hard drive crashed taking all 13 gig of photos with it. Back your shit up!
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:42:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

The engines are in the correct position, the intakes are all wrong.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:45:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Masirah Oman, flying support missions into Afghanistan.
Note AGM-65F Mavericks.

Buring tires signalling our arrival, Al Nasirya, Iraq in the distance circa March 2003, operating from Kuwait as we support the Marines push into Iraq.

Ali Al Salem, Kuwait

Getting ready to take General Mattis up for recon flight along Iraqi border circa Feb 2003.

Sand storm at night

Still raging in the morning

VP-46 form flight over Deception Pass Bridge, Whidbey Island, WA.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:47:36 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't tell a C-130 Crew Chief that!
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:51:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And this one time, we had to stay in a 3-star hotel.  Can you believe it?  That's one step above sharing a bathroom.

Back before there was direct deposit, DFAS had to mail our checks to Souda, then we had to walk, yes walk, all the way to the NEX to cash them!

I think the term is "gravy Navy"
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:52:04 AM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:00:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:00:38 AM EDT
[#35]
My experience with the Neptune:

And a bonus:
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:05:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey OPSO, we've been stuck in Utaphao for two weeks.  
We're all out of money and half of us have a burning sensation when we pee.  
When are you going to get us out of here?
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:07:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Uncle is a retired Commander in the USN.  Flew P-3's for most of his career before they closed down their home base on Oahu.  I'll try to find some pics.  I have many from when I was a little boy in and out of the P3's.
View Quote

He was at Barber's point?  I was a P-3 TACCO at VP-1 back then.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:16:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, there are some that go like that.  One of the guys I'm real good friends with likes to piss of the other retired sailors we work with by boasting about spending 22+ years in the navy with zero sea duty time.  Some of his wilder ones make it seem that the happiest place in the world in the late 70's to mid to late 80's was on flight status in a VP squadron.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:22:07 AM EDT
[#39]
My Dad was an aviation ordnanceman on P2Vs in Korea, said they would leave 1 depth charge on board and replace all the others with 500 lb bombs.  Neither the Russians or Chinese had any subs, so they would do 1 pass with the sub detector gear on, then head inland and drop the bombs on NK raliroad tracks or bridges.
After college he wound up working for Univac doing the software for Aegis, and most of his work was on P3s.  Grew up mostly around Naval Air Stations that had lots of those turboprops flying around!  
So ASW was sort of his thing, I guess.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:22:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yeah, there are some that go like that.  One of the guys I'm real good friends with likes to piss of the other retired sailors we work with by boasting about spending 22+ years in the navy with zero sea duty time.  Some of his wilder ones make it seem that the happiest place in the world in the late 70's to mid to late 80's was on flight status in a VP squadron.
View Quote

That is an absolutely true statement into the very early 90s.

Even today it's fantastic duty, but nothing like "back in the day".
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:23:01 AM EDT
[#41]
I had no idea we had P-3 weenies here. Someone needs to message ATACORION.

Formerly disgrunted Prowler guy here.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:26:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Big fan of the P2-V...two burnin', two turnin'.....got to go inside one stem to stern at an airshow, it was cool!

Also like the Stoof...S2F...my Uncle flew in those...
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:27:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Liked the Vietnam sensor version, it had a chopped off tail, dropped microphones over the Ho Chi Minh trail.  Met a guy who was crew on one.  All that technology, the VC discovered pissing on the spike-mikes could neutralize them.  

Does O-2E sound right?  I know I built a model of it once, GREAT camo scheme.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:30:23 AM EDT
[#44]
I've parted out 12 P-3s since 1989. I made a living supporting that aircraft for a long time. Two just recently sold by the GSA. Sadly I couldn't come up with the $ to buy them. I still have a pretty decent inventory of P-3 parts, mostly avionics.

I'm friendly with a couple Neptune operators who fight fires. Those guys have giant brass balls! I'd never fly into a raging fire with smoke filling the aircraft.

Sadly I lost a very close friend who was killed ferrying a Neptune from here to Wy. Great guy, left a wife and 6 kids.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:31:47 AM EDT
[#45]
My dad was an AT on P-3s. He has some pretty interesting stories. Lightning strikes, bird strikes, deer strike, planes being blown sideways on iced tarmacs. New crewmembers fucking with the AF's redline in Iceland. Bar fights, 4 star hotels in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. Telling an AF airmen to go wakeup an O-5 so he could authorize refueling for the plane, apparently you can't pull up to fuels and tell them you need X000 lbs of fuel.
Fork lift and chains to replace an engine at an AF base, after getting it Fedex'd overnight. Fucking with Soviets in their airspace. Hours of complete boredom, moments of sheer terror, he called his career.

No pictures, but I spent some time helping my dad work on the planes. Damn cool as a 4yr old boy.

Also watching an EP-3J burn to the ground because of an oxygen fire, caused by idiots ignoring the pressure gauges. Jax, 2x@Brunswick, Barber's Point, Willow Grove for a bit and finally Pax River. (The first place I had jets flying overhead regularly)
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:33:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't heard a lot of P-3 stories but a lot of 'em seemed to revolve around per diem.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:38:56 AM EDT
[#47]
My friend flew a P-3 that shot a maverick at some poor assholes in a boat in Libya.

Now he's flying P-8s. Seems to enjoy it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:39:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'm not sure if this is a failure of reading comprehension or failure of geographical knowledge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I'm a retard
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:40:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not necessarily an "or"
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:42:09 AM EDT
[#50]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/80/Lajes_field.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/56/Lajes_Air_Base%2C_2009.jpg

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq117/ar154all/5thgradeP3Terceira-Island-Map1.jpg

(can someone post this pic bigger, I got MSPaint on it...)

Funny all these hornets are twin seaters
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top