Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:13:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I did not know Vulcan was the old Hesse.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:14:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Takes a big set of balls for Vulcan to MFG and retail a .50 cal firearm. Like a big middle finger to the shooter.

Takes a pretty ignorant shooter to BUY a Vulcan anything, much less a .50...
There's this newfangled thing call the internet, where researching your big, potentially dangerous purchases is fast and free...

I here that in July, there will be a few available for bargain prices....

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:15:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Thanks

Yup.  Same owner too.  

Caveate Emptor.

If you know what you are doing, you can do alright.  If not, grab your ankles.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:17:01 PM EDT
[#4]
My first thought.... Who the hell shoots at a range loaded with Tard RO's wearing Blaze orange shirts with the word RANGE OFFICER on the back...!!
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:17:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was an RO for a county-operated range.  We were all Red Cross certified First Aid, CPR, and AED.  We were also forbidden from using our training on any of the public for fear of lawsuits.  We were told to bring out a first aid kit and let the injured party or bystanders provide care.  I treated a GSW at our range and was almost fired for it.

If I were a resident of that county, I would work hard to fire whoever wrote that asinine policy.

The problems happen when people that are trained and certified provide care "above their certification".   When they fuck something up, the org they work for gets to pay up.

Yeah, how about its impossible to go above your certification with a first aid kit and a BVM!!!

Moving a fall victim instead of maintaining c-spine till the big boys show up? Tourniquet? It's been awhile since I've held any certs but there were plenty of horror stories of first responders trying to be paramedics. My personal favorite was a responder trying to remove the boot of someone that just got their foot crushed by a forklift. I still wonder what the fuck he would have done once he got the boot off and saw the guys foot.

He would have called 911.  Then I would have came and called ALS.

There may be a time when I'm willing to act above my cert, but it would have to be someone pretty important to me.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:17:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Nonetheless... I am curious of the outpouring of hatred toward a company that I daresay nary a poster before me has ever owned a product bearing their logo.  (Certainly not suggesting that you do, unless you are a least a certified tinkerer and aren't afraid of getting burned.)

And you're not even new here?

It takes 30 seconds to find out everything you need to know about Vulcan/Hesse/Blackthorne.  They're all the same company and they peddle cheap, dangerous crap to unsuspecting shooters looking for a good deal.

As soon as their rep gets too bad, they'll change their name and keep on trucking.

What do you personally know about this company and their products?    

Seriously?

I know because I bought one of their Hesse receivers back in 1998.  It needed tuning as there was proud metal and the holes weren't exactly right.  I fixed them.

I bought an upper half on a dare.  I replaced the fucked up rear sight, cleaned up some sprue on the BFA hole, and turned the dust cover spring around as it was backwards/upside down.  

I bought a stripped upper receiver later, and the only thing I needed to to was turn that spring around again on the dust cover, and clean up the out of spec metal parts (fitting, for anyone who doesn't know).  

YUp... shitty QC and Shitty people to deal with.  

If you know the road that you are taking though... sometimes that short cut works.  

I've fixed that kind of stuff on some friends' rifles that bought with their wallet instead of their brains, before asking someone that had dealt with them.  No end to their problems.  One of them had a shot-out barrel after a couple thousand rounds and some chipped bolt lugs.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:17:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Nonetheless... I am curious of the outpouring of hatred toward a company that I daresay nary a poster before me has ever owned a product bearing their logo

Here's a good reason:

link
uh wat, you linked to this thread.

Exactly.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

Yup.  Same owner too.    

Caveate Emptor.

So, with your experience, you know what you're "getting into"
Would you buy a Vulcan .50?
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was an RO for a county-operated range.  We were all Red Cross certified First Aid, CPR, and AED.  We were also forbidden from using our training on any of the public for fear of lawsuits.  We were told to bring out a first aid kit and let the injured party or bystanders provide care.  I treated a GSW at our range and was almost fired for it.

Don't Good Samaritan laws protect individuals who render first aid regardless of their affiliation to a range??
I know in Colorado this covers them regardless of a person being an employee or customer of gun ranges or anywhere for that matter.

Why take the chance?  People will sue for anything and everything, trying to get that easy pay day.

Call 911 and watch/walk away.

Well lets hope I'm not at the same range as you and I'm seriously injured and your the only one there as then I am sure I will die while waiting for an ambulance. This  is pure chicken shit excuse if your state has Good Samaritan laws that prevent being sued from a person you gave first aid etc in good faith and not intentionally trying to further injure them.  

I am all about helping people. But I am not going to ruin my life because someone gets a scar they don't like from the treatment I give them that saved their life.  Good Samaritan laws aren't the end all be all.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:22:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I were a resident of that county, I would work hard to fire whoever wrote that asinine policy.

The problems happen when people that are trained and certified provide care "above their certification".   When they fuck something up, the org they work for gets to pay up.

Yeah, how about its impossible to go above your certification with a first aid kit and a BVM!!!

All county RO's had to take the training; at it's conclusion, our supervisor then told us we could help other county employees who were injured but NOT under any circumstances to help members of the public, i.e., patrons/customers of the shooting range.  Since we were a county range, I guess the lawyers thought we had 'deep pockets'.

The incident I mentioned involved a Class-III night, a patron with a suppressed .22 Buckmark was having trouble getting it to cycle with subsonic Aguila.  He turned the gun sideways to fuck with it and clear a jam and Sppppt!!! Fired a round into a guy standing ten feet to his left at the firing line.  Hit the guy in the thigh; guy let out a yelp and dropped to the ground.

I called the line cold and grabbed the first aid kit; President of the club waddled up and uttered the immortal line, "I don't see why the rest of us have to stop shooting just because someone got shot!".

Victim was bleeding quite a bit;  my boss came out, screamed 'don't render aid, I'm calling an ambulance', and ran back into the tower.  I applied a entire kerlex roll to the entry wound and applied pressure.  Ambulance arrived in about twenty minutes.  They took victim to hospital, he walked out of the ER after they asked for his insurance--he wanted the range to pay.  I got my ass chewed out, and went before an HR board.  Guy tried to sue us but his club had liability insurance and he signed a waiver before paying his range fee to shoot that day.

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:22:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
"technology's tip of the spear!"

does that even make sense?

I like how they only list a po box for their address.

Probably because they make weapons that you or I will never know even existed.

The high tech reverse .50 ?
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:23:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

Yup.  Same owner too.    

Caveate Emptor.

If I wanted one.  

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:24:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

Yup.  Same owner too.    

Caveate Emptor.

If I wanted one.    

You can't file some burrs, flip a spring, and suddenly change the hardness of the poorly-designed and hardened steel slug that holds the whole thing together 6 inches from your face.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:24:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Nonetheless... I am curious of the outpouring of hatred toward a company that I daresay nary a poster before me has ever owned a product bearing their logo.  (Certainly not suggesting that you do, unless you are a least a certified tinkerer and aren't afraid of getting burned.)

And you're not even new here?

It takes 30 seconds to find out everything you need to know about Vulcan/Hesse/Blackthorne.  They're all the same company and they peddle cheap, dangerous crap to unsuspecting shooters looking for a good deal.

As soon as their rep gets too bad, they'll change their name and keep on trucking.

Seriously?

I know because I bought one of their Hesse receivers back in 1998.  It needed tuning as there was proud metal and the holes weren't exactly right.  I fixed them.

I bought an upper half on a dare.  I replaced the fucked up rear sight, cleaned up some sprue on the BFA hole, and turned the dust cover spring around as it was backwards/upside down.  

I bought a stripped upper receiver later, and the only thing I needed to to was turn that spring around again on the dust cover, and clean up the out of spec metal parts (fitting, for anyone who doesn't know).  

If you know the road that you are taking though... sometimes that short cut works.  

You admit they're a piece of shit. We agree that they're a piece of shit.

What exactly is the problem here?
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:26:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All county RO's had to take the training; at it's conclusion, our supervisor then told us we could help other county employees who were injured but NOT under any circumstances to help members of the public, i.e., patrons/customers of the shooting range.  Since we were a county range, I guess the lawyers thought we had 'deep pockets'.

The incident I mentioned involved a Class-III night, a patron with a suppressed .22 Buckmark was having trouble getting it to cycle with subsonic Aguila.  He turned the gun sideways to fuck with it and clear a jam and Sppppt!!! Fired a round into a guy standing ten feet to his left at the firing line.  Hit the guy in the thigh; guy let out a yelp and dropped to the ground.

I called the line cold and grabbed the first aid kit; President of the club waddled up and uttered the immortal line, "I don't see why the rest of us have to stop shooting just because someone got shot!".

Victim was bleeding quite a bit;  my boss came out, screamed 'don't render aid, I'm calling an ambulance', and ran back into the tower.  I applied a entire kerlex roll to the entry wound and applied pressure.  Ambulance arrived in about twenty minutes.  They took victim to hospital, he walked out of the ER after they asked for his insurance--he wanted the range to pay.  I got my ass chewed out, and went before an HR board.  Guy tried to sue us but his club had liability insurance and he signed a waiver before paying his range fee to shoot that day.

And that is why I will just call 911.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:26:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Who the hell wears sandals while shooting?

Yeah, what you said!
Do you think steel toed shoes would have protected his neck?

He wasn't running through the jungle. He was at a range. Right?

Did you see all those RSO's wearing tee-shirts? Can you believe that?
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:29:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't Good Samaritan laws protect individuals who render first aid regardless of their affiliation to a range??
I know in Colorado this covers them regardless of a person being an employee or customer of gun ranges or anywhere for that matter.

Typically the good samaritan is protected, but the facility owner is not a samaritan. A bystander would be, but an employee would not.

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:29:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How the fuck did you get an entire roll of kerlix into a wound from a .22?
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:30:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Yup.  Same owner too.    

Caveate Emptor.

If I wanted one.    

You can't file some burrs, flip a spring, and suddenly change the hardness of the poorly-designed and hardened steel slug that holds the whole thing together 6 inches from your face.

Is that what happened here?

You have some pictures of an injured guy, some orange clad safety officers, and a description from a "new guy" of what happened.  ETA:  There is no picture of the gun in question, nor of the injury itself.   You have only the claim of the OP.

Now, you have made a cause determination of the failure.

My point is the line above.  

I have no dog in this fight.  

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:31:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hope he sues the shit out of them and wins

Normally I hate lawsuits but in this instance it would seem worthwhile.

FIRST shot? Yeah.

First shot from a gun bought used? A first year law student could destroy a witness's credibility if a statement to that effect were made.

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:31:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

Yup.  Same owner too.    

Caveate Emptor.

If I wanted one.    

Is that what happened here?  

You have some pictures of an injured guy, some orange clad safety officers, and a description from a "new guy" of what happened.

Now, you have made a cause determination of the failure.

My point is the line above.  

I have no dog in this fight.  

Didn't he say that the bolt lugs sheared?  How else does a bolt come out of the chamber? and exit the rear of the gun when fired?
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:32:42 PM EDT
[#24]
I had a chance to buy a vulcan .50 for $800, but before i made the purchase i joined here and was educated!!! THANK YOU ARFCOM!!! oh and i really hope the guy recovers.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I went out today with a vendor to shoot my rifle for the last time (sadly had to part it out).

All things going great and we hear a EXTREMELY LOUD BOOM.   Screaming ensues. "CEASE FIRE!!! CEASE FIRE!!! CALL 911!!! CALL 911!!" and all the RO's are running to this one guy..

Well come to find out this was the FIRST SHOT FIRED from a Brand new Vulcan 50cal using factory ammo.  The bolt lugs disintigrated, the charging handle sheared from the bolt, and the bolt exploded backwards and lodged into the guys neck area.  They found the charging handle about 30 feet behind him in the grass while the paramedics were tending to him.  Ambulance arrived quickly, and im no doctor, but it looked like the guy was going to be alright based on the fact they didn't seem to be too worried while tending to him.

Look at the RIGHT HAND PURPLE GLOVE
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa220/generesweber/boltinneck_zps46ab12b9.png
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa220/generesweber/WP_20130601_005_zps5ddc53de.jpg

What range?

That's at Hot Wells Shooting Range in Cypress Texas. About 10 minutes from my house.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:32:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Who the hell wears sandals while shooting?

Apparently the guy on the gurney
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:33:04 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Seriously?

When you are dealing with the 50 BMG I say NO short cut is acceptable. A cartridge that size, you either have a well built functioning rifle or you have an IED waiting to explode.

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:35:04 PM EDT
[#28]
So what will Toad's new company be named?
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:36:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I had a chance to buy a vulcan .50 for $800, but before i made the purchase i joined here and was educated!!! THANK YOU ARFCOM!!! oh and i really hope the guy recovers.

Looks like you dodged a bolt there.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:36:25 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Moving a fall victim instead of maintaining c-spine till the big boys show up? Tourniquet? It's been awhile since I've held any certs but there were plenty of horror stories of first responders trying to be paramedics. My personal favorite was a responder trying to remove the boot of someone that just got their foot crushed by a forklift. I still wonder what the fuck he would have done once he got the boot off and saw the guys foot.

He would have called 911.  Then I would have came and called ALS.

There may be a time when I'm willing to act above my cert, but it would have to be someone pretty important to me.
911 was called and I got there just in time to see the epic ass chewing the responder received from a paramedic. the dude was on the verge of going into shock. I saw the foot later on.

Home made trach

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:37:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Hope he makes it.

The demeanor of the rescue crew has little bearing on the outcome of the patient. You do the best you can, move professionally and efficiently and get the patient in front of a surgeon. No telling how it turns out. Our job is to keep him alive  and deliver to the ER..

We'll do all we can and do a damn good job, but you'll never see my crew doing the "jump , shout & run about" even if the patient is at deaths door. My medic dos get a little terse with his words  when things are going south though.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:37:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously?

When you are dealing with the 50 BMG I say NO short cut is acceptable. A cartridge that size, you either have a well built functioning rifle or you have an IED waiting to explode.

Yep
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:38:17 PM EDT
[#33]
I held a Hesse once. Once.

Backwoods gun shop, the guy said he had something special in the back for me... Brought out this Hesse monstrosity. The fucking rear peep sight was held on by wood glue. I shit you not. The whole thing looked like they tried to replicate plywood with sheet metal.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:39:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I am all about helping people. But I am not going to ruin my life because someone gets a scar they don't like from the treatment I give them that saved their life.  Good Samaritan laws aren't the end all be all.

Like I said earlier, hope we are not on the same range by ourselves and I am not seriously injured as I do see it ending well for me.

I have been rock climbing for almost 20 years. I have been the only person for miles to render aid when inexperienced climbers fucked up and almost seriously
fucked up. One guy who was an engineer or something like that for Lockheed Martin, took a fall while rappelling, broke his ankle in a few places (learned that later on)
and we were about 3 miles from the vehicles. My partner and I left our gear on the route and backpacks there while his partner carried all their gear. My partner and I held onto him
and let him limp his way after we immobilized his foot. You could see bulges where the bones almost popped through. It wasn't flat and the trail was considered strenuous.
He got more bumps and bruises and knicks on the way out and probably our fault while helping him to the cars. I was never sued nor was that mentioned. He was grateful
other people were there to render aid and even though he told me 6 months later when I ran into him, the docs said he had more damage on the way down, he was still
glad we helped him.
Not every person who gets hurt is sue happy. These guys were raging liberals and that is the demographic that is more likely to sue instead of a gun loving conservative or libertarians
who would know that a person rendering aid in the event they had a serious malfunction with their firearm was only doing what they could to keep them stable until paramedics got there.

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like you dodged a bolt there.

yeah tell me about it! lol i think that was the first time that i was happy that i did NOT buy a gun
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Didn't he say that the bolt lugs sheared?  How else does a bolt come out of the chamber? and exit the rear of the gun when fired?[/div]

Leave the pivot pin out of an AR BCG and see what happens.  I have never seen one of these guns, but assuming, well you know what that means.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:42:31 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm calling bullshit on this thread and the OP.  

Not that I find such a thing impossible, but....

A Mar 13 member has generated a 3 page thread with two pictures and allegations that might even prove to be libelous  and you all are lining up to eat this story up, hook line and sinker.  

I have reason to dislike this company, but will provide proof and physical examples for my reasons.  I also hate the guy who makes them.  However; this stupidity of defaming a company and product based on a single, unsubstantiated allegation is not my cup of tea.    

Perhaps those folks who are sooooo concerned about terms such as "Moccah Messiah" being offensive to some nebulous person who might sue, might take a little more notice of this thread and it's actual liability to this site.  

You all that have been around here for a while know better than this.  

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't he say that the bolt lugs sheared?  How else does a bolt come out of the chamber? and exit the rear of the gun when fired?[/div]

Leave the pivot pin out of an AR BCG and see what happens.  I have never seen one of these guns, but assuming, well you know what that means.

Look at the picture posted further up.  It's a 3-lug bolt gun.  Not much to leave out that would cause it to blow up.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:43:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like I said earlier, hope we are not on the same range by ourselves and I am not seriously injured as I do see it ending well for me.

I have been rock climbing for almost 20 years. I have been the only person for miles to render aid when inexperienced climbers fucked up and almost seriously
fucked up. One guy who was an engineer or something like that for Lockheed Martin, took a fall while rappelling, broke his ankle in a few places (learned that later on)
and we were about 3 miles from the vehicles. My partner and I left our gear on the route and backpacks there while his partner carried all their gear. My partner and I held onto him
and let him limp his way after we immobilized his foot. You could see bulges where the bones almost popped through. It wasn't flat and the trail was considered strenuous.
He got more bumps and bruises and knicks on the way out and probably our fault while helping him to the cars. I was never sued nor was that mentioned. He was grateful
other people were there to render aid and even though he told me 6 months later when I ran into him, the docs said he had more damage on the way down, he was still
glad we helped him.
Not every person who gets hurt is sue happy. These guys were raging liberals and that is the demographic that is more likely to sue instead of a gun loving conservative or libertarians
who would know that a person rendering aid in the event they had a serious malfunction with their firearm was only doing what they could to keep them stable until paramedics got there.

The emergency you're referring to is much different than the one the crab guy is talking about.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:44:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

glad we helped him.

The emergency you're referring to is much different than the one the crab guy is talking about.

I understand that. I do also understand we initially were talking about the owner of the range etc.

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:44:27 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

So what will Toad's new company be named?

KaBoom INC

International Extreme Defense

Blind Luck Firearms

Boobytraps by Bailey

Toadkill Tools

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:45:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm calling bullshit on this thread and the OP.  

Not that I find such a thing impossible, but....

A Mar 13 member has generated a 3 page thread with two pictures and allegations that might even prove to be libelous  and you all are lining up to eat this story up, hook line and sinker.  

I have reason to dislike this company, but will provide proof and physical examples for my reasons.  I also hate the guy who makes them.  However; this stupidity of defaming a company and product based on a single, unsubstantiated allegation is not my cup of tea.    

Perhaps those folks who are sooooo concerned about terms such as "Moccah Messiah" being offensive to some nebulous person who might sue, might take a little more notice of this thread and it's actual liability to this site.  

You all that have been around here for a while know better than this.  

I think you mean "MOCHA".
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:46:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"technology's tip of the spear!"

does that even make sense?

I like how they only list a po box for their address.

Probably because they make weapons that you or I will never know even existed.

The high tech reverse .50 ?

It's actually designed to be a booby trapped weapon to trick enemies.  Leave it for them to obtain and when they try to use it against you, they have a bad day.

Vulcan did a great job with this high level technology.  I guess they just forgot to put in the manual what its intended purpose was.

Tip o' the spear, yo.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:47:14 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

to be fair to all involved...it was American Eagle Black box ammo....funny thing i went to the gun store right after leaving the range, and as i walked up, a guy had about 10 boxes of the stuff he had just paid for with his wife carrying his brand new 50....almost said something, but didn't want to screw the guy out of a chance to see a bolt lodged in his wife....

joking....about the ammo

no really, real story, joking about bolt in wife

WTF?

You just seen a guy almost die with a gun exploding in his face and your cracking jokes about?

WTF? 13r

Very typical of this new generation.

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:47:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
this stupidity of defaming a company and product based on a single, unsubstantiated allegation

You know good and well that there are plenty of good examples of their horrible quality.

We're not defaming them, they did that to themselves, and they will continue to do so with whatever new name they come up with.

The only reason this '13er  thread didn't go over like a lead balloon is because it's entirely believable and has happened before.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:47:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow.  This is why it's so important for RO's to have at least ACLS certifications.

I don't think I've ever been to a range with a automated external defibrillator much less a cardiac monitor (some AEDs can be used as a crude cardiac monitor), IV set ups or cardiac medications.  If your ranges have those things, kudos to them that is awesome.  Trauma experience or training and a comprehensive trauma  may be more beneficial though. YMMV.

Hope the guy is alright and makes a full recovery, neck wounds are no joke.  Incidents like this are the reason I carry a trauma kit  with me in vehicle at all times and maintain my Paramedic license. Sometimes bad things happen.

This.  I'm ACLS-certified and if something happens at a range, want to know what I'm going to do?  Normal CPR and call 911.  ACLS outside of an ambulance or hospital is useless.

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

glad we helped him.

I understand that. I do also understand we initially were talking about the owner of the range etc.

You need to imagine someone trained in CPR trying to treat a tension pneumothorax, which is a real possibility with GSWs.  Gun people that are EMTs or EMRs are very likely to take classes or training privately and "learn how to treat" something like that.  That sort of jump by an employee will put whoever he working for in a bad position if there is any type of negative outcome.  

I'm an EMT and have taken private classes on treatments like this.  I will use the skills if I'm shooting with people and this happens and they're going to die if I don't.  I will never do this if I am paged out for a call like this.  It sucks, but that's the way the good sam laws are written.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:51:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at the picture posted further up.  It's a 3-lug bolt gun.  Not much to leave out that would cause it to blow up.

Like I mentioned, never laid eyes on a Vulcan anything.  I would like to see the tech write up on what failed.  Internet lynchings are rarely accurate in their fact finding.

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:51:11 PM EDT
[#50]
I snooped around their web site a little to see what kind of "gold" they sell.

At least the guy didn't have a "malfunction" or "rapid disassembly" on their 50BMG bull-pup!!!!
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top