Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 1:22:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Watching Jack Niklaus hole out from bunkers is better, as far as sand related shows go.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 1:53:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great movie really explains the middle east.
View Quote

Table of Damascus in Lawrence of Arabia

Link Posted: 1/2/2024 1:59:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I watched it last night.
Very good movie.
T E Lawrence was crazy, albeit fascinating
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 11:07:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I watched it last night.
Very good movie.
T E Lawrence was crazy, albeit fascinating
View Quote

There is a fine line that separates genius and madness.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 12:38:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is is an amazing movie but the book is better!
View Quote

I have BOTH of his books.  "Revolt in the Desert" first printing 1927.  And "Seven Pillars of Wisdom" first published for general circulation in 1935.

Paladin
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 1:01:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Amazing book, read it when I was eight. My parents debated on whether I was old enough due to the Turkish prison torture content, but decided I could handle it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is is an amazing movie but the book is better!

Amazing book, read it when I was eight. My parents debated on whether I was old enough due to the Turkish prison torture content, but decided I could handle it.

Hahaha that's awesome. My dad didn't censure my reading at all. We lived really rurally so he went to the library for us once a week. He would checkout books for us (I was really into the Black Stallion series at the age you were reading Lawarance in Arabia. When we finished our books we would read each other's books and some of Dad's. I remember being about 8 when I asked my mom what c-u-n-n-I-n-g-l-i-n-g-u-s meant. Mom said it meant I shouldn't read dad's books.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 1:40:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Great movie about a great soldier.  Sorry to our local bigots, but T.E. Lawrence was Gay.  A product of the British public schools, he liked "a bit of the rough".  When the Turks beat/butt raped him, he probably said, "Thank you sir, may I have another".
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 1:56:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Wonder if they could tell the difference between .455 webley mkVI ammo and .45ACP?
View Quote

There is a very distinct difference in shape and weight between 45 acp and 455 webley. I’m also not sure the British had switched to FMJ from lead in the webley at the time of the battle.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 2:21:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I had the opportunity to see Lawrence of Arabia on a massive indoor screen in San Diego. I had been curious about that theater for some time, but this was the first showing that I was sufficiently interested in to drive down into the city.

I can't remember what this system was called, but it featutured a massive, highly curved indoor screen. Nearly, if not quite as large as a drive-in screen. It was an anniversary showing, I think, and although I was completely familiar with the movie, it was mesmerizing!

It's a shame we don't make movies on that scale any longer, although I think the soon to be aired part two of Dune will make that film (in its entirety), the equal of some of the great old epics.

That cinema was razed not long after. It's all condos, hotels, shopping and golf course in Mission Valley now. Glad I was able to flee the area some years ago.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 8:29:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Masters of Mayhem - James Stejskal

The guy has another book that looks pretty cool, it's about the "stay behind" A-Teams in Cold War Berlin I guess.
View Quote
Thanks again for that tip, talked to the author and he's sending a few signed copies. Good guy, very interesting to talk to. He's got more than a few interesting books out.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 7:21:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Lawrence will be on TCM 8:00pm eastern tonight
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 8:12:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Lawrence will be on TCM 8:00pm eastern tonight
View Quote

Saw the thread pop back up and was going to post that.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top