Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/21/2012 7:20:49 PM EDT
Another thread got me thinking.  The one about Libyans going after the extremist compound.

I got news for you guys.  They aren't all crazy, and they aren't all shitbags.

One story in particular, among many, stands out in my mind.  During the invasion of Iraq, I was in the 101st.  My scout platoon was in Najef, pushed ahead of the rest of the battalion, providing overwatch, and calling in indirect fires.  We had taken up positions on the roof of some poor fuckers house.  We tried be nice to him, but how nice can you really be when you're wearing body armor, carrying machineguns, and calling mortars in on the next block over?

Anyway, around 10pm, him, his wife, and his kids brought up sleeping mats for us.  Afterwards, they went into their yard, slaughtered the only chicken they had, cooked it, and tried to feed us.  Of course, we wouldn't take it.  During our down time, we went downstairs, played with his kids, and made sure they ate.

He cried, and all he kept saying was, "Thank you."  Over and over.

When we left in the early morning to link back up with our battalion, he thanked us again.  He gave us an Iraqi flag, and said, in broken English, "The butcher is gone.  Thank you.  We never forget."

There were other stories.  Many other members here could tell many other stories like this.

You can hate all of them, that is your right.  But you'd be wrong to do it.  Is it so shocking that the moderate ones are drowned out in a sea of violence?  I don't think so.

Flame away.

Link Posted: 9/21/2012 7:24:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd never flame you for that.  Anybody who paints with too broad a brush is an idiot.  I know a few Bosnians, aTurk, and even some Iranians who fled the Ayatollah (Grandpa worked for the Shah, it was leave or die.) and they're all good folks.  Different, but they're American.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 7:26:12 PM EDT
[#2]

You can hate all of them, that is your right.  But you'd be wrong to do it.  Is it so shocking that the moderate ones are drowned out in a sea of violence?  I don't think so

[/quote]

Well said, SIr.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 7:26:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'd never flame you for that.  Anybody who paints with too broad a brush is an idiot.  I know a few Bosnians, aTurk, and even some Iranians who fled the Ayatollah (Grandpa worked for the Shah, it was leave or die.) and they're all good folks.  Different, but they're American.

It just kind of makes me mad.  Some of them died working with us.  They could have sat their and done nothing, but they stepped up.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 7:27:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

We have a pretty awesome Turk here on the forum.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 7:29:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me and him have butted heads.  He's an anti-smoking nazi.

He still seems like an ok guy.  Opinions, we all have them.  I have been to Turkey.  I was treated kindly, and the terrain was beautiful.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 7:31:26 PM EDT
[#6]
They seem to be in the minority.  The jackasses blowing our guys up seem to get most of the attention.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 7:33:42 PM EDT
[#7]
We have a guy here that runs the local store.
He has family back in the ME and he was worried as all get out about them
Crazy bastard saved his money up and went to go get them out.
I wished him luck and told him to be careful but who knows?
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 7:33:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They seem to be in the minority.  The jackasses blowing our guys up seem to get most of the attention.

Dude, I know.  Small kindnesses don't rate a media report.

Here's another one:  We marched into Baghdad the day after it fell.  The streets were lined with people.  Millions.  Literally MILLIONS of people.  We were rockstars.  Random people running up and saying Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 7:34:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't care.

I first learned about the danger of Islam in 1979. Since then, Mohamed's faithful have continuously reinforced a negative perception of them. For me, a muslim is a person not to be trusted. I don't give a shit who it offends. If there are "good" muslims in the world, they need to start cleaning house.

Link Posted: 9/21/2012 7:37:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Why don't the moderate Muslims stop the bad Muslims?

Either they don't give a shit, or they aren't numerous enough.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 7:38:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

If there are "good" muslims in the world, they need to start cleaning house.  

Yes, there are good Muslims.  And, yes, they do need to clean house and get rid of the bad ones.

You will find good people anywhere you look.  And a few bad ones.

CJ

Link Posted: 9/21/2012 7:38:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Maybe because the moderates get beheaded?  I don't know.  Might be why.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And watch their families get sodomized and beheaded before they get beheaded.  The good muslims are good.  The bad muslims are the worst examples of humanity imaginable.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 7:44:33 PM EDT
[#14]
No flames for you.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 7:46:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then I guess the second part of the second sentence applies.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 7:50:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 7:51:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll agree us wanting to turn the whole area to glass because of a few radicals is worse than the few radicals to begin with.

we need to take a serious look at some of the assholes condoning the violence and speaking out against our freedom of speech.

Link Posted: 9/21/2012 7:55:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 7:57:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, alrighty, so carry this thing through to 2112 ... seein' as the modrates are skeered, what's the world map gonna look like in a 100 years?

Never said stop bombing the savage ones back to the stone age.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 7:58:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Unfortunately this will be a short thread.
A billion of them, a billion of us.  Neither is going away.

Letting the assholes define what 'true' islam will only result in a forever war.

Helping the normal people define islam (have something like a reformation) would be a way to a safer world.  But too many here just hate too much with a broad brush and without actually looking and thinking.   Just like liberals.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 7:59:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He still seems like an ok guy.  Opinions, we all have them.  I have been to Turkey.  I was treated kindly, and the terrain was beautiful.

Seems like a pretty minor difference, and I believe he is a doctor...

Link Posted: 9/21/2012 8:00:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Another thread got me thinking.  The one about Libyans going after the extremist compound.

One story in particular, among many, stands out in my mind.  During the invasion of Iraq, I was in the 101st.  My scout platoon was in Najef, pushed ahead of the rest of the battalion, providing overwatch, and calling in indirect fires.  We had taken up positions on the roof of some poor fuckers house.  We tried be nice to him, but how nice can you really be when you're wearing body armor, carrying machineguns, and calling mortars in on the next block over?

Anyway, around 10pm, him, his wife, and his kids brought up sleeping mats for us.  Afterwards, they went into their yard, slaughtered the only chicken they had, cooked it, and tried to feed us.  Of course, we wouldn't take it.  During our down time, we went downstairs, played with his kids, and made sure they ate.

When we left in the early morning to link back up with our battalion, he thanked us again.  He gave us an Iraqi flag, and said, in broken English, "The butcher is gone.  Thank you.  We never forget."

There were other stories.  Many other members here could tell many other stories like this.

You can hate all of them, that is your right.  But you'd be wrong to do it.  Is it so shocking that the moderate ones are drowned out in a sea of violence?  I don't think so.

Flame away.

Stories like that; that are not told, are part of why some folks (myself included, at one point)...just hate them all.  Those types of stories need to be told.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 8:03:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Letting the assholes define what 'true' islam will only result in a forever war.

Helping the normal people define islam (have something like a reformation) would be a way to a safer world.  But too many here just hate too much with a broad brush and without actually looking and thinking.   Just like liberals.

Funny you should say that.  I think that we are beginning to see one start.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 8:03:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

What do the savage ones look like? Waiting until they out themselves is getting costly.

Link Posted: 9/21/2012 8:03:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, alrighty, so carry this thing through to 2112 ... seein' as the modrates are skeered, what's the world map gonna look like in a 100 years?

well, they have pretty much already gotten rid of the PERSIAN Gulf

The Muslims I have the pleasure of knowing are Westernized as heck. It doesn't take long for the youth to realize how backwards things are and good things are in Western Society. Sadly, they are the microscopic minority
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 8:06:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I hope it won't be, but you are probably right.  

My hope is that other vets will drop in and tell a story here, a story there, about the decent ones.

But, hope in one hand, and shit in the other.  Right?
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 8:06:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't realize that.  Makes sense now.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 8:07:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I wanna see where you move the goalposts now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-19680785
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 8:09:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Nope op, I was there too, and they ALL are pretty much shitbags, but you can kumbaya and be in love with them all you want.  You are wrong, but that's your right
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 8:10:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Nope op, I was there too, and they ALL are pretty much shitbags, but you can kumbaya and be in love with them all you want.  You are wrong, but that's your right

OK.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 8:12:24 PM EDT
[#32]
A bunch of guys with guns, raining hell fire down on the countryside show up on their roof. You expect them to be hostile? Your story doesn't prove anything. You have no clue what they are doing now, or what they were doing before you arrived. How can somebody who has been there be so naive? How can you think your feel good bullshit is going to convince anyone that islam isn't an evil, quasi religion/political philosophy?

Link Posted: 9/21/2012 8:14:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
A bunch of guys with guns, raining hell fire down on the countryside show up on their roof. You expect them to be hostile? Your story doesn't prove anything. You have no clue what they are doing now, or what they were doing before you arrived. How can somebody who has been there be so naive? How can you think your feel good bullshit is going to convince anyone that islam isn't an evil, quasi religion/political philosophy?  

Never said Islam wasn't evil.  Hell, I don't know.  A lot of them are like American Christians.  Not very devout at all.

ETA: And what, exactly, are you proving?
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 8:18:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Shitbags is relative.

Most of us know that not all of them are shitbags.

Many of us have or have had at least some friends or friendly relationship with people who are Muslims.

There is a conflict between the individual and the doctrine.

Link Posted: 9/21/2012 8:20:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That's like asking why don't the regular Mexican people stop the drug lords. The average person just wants to do his work, then come home and enjoy his wife and watch their children smile and grow up.
There is next to nothing the average person can do against small groups of single-minded, organized, well-funded and well-armed individuals motivated by powerful incentives (money or strong religious conviction)
who are even capable of corrupting or infiltrating the power structures of a state.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 8:25:00 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never said Islam wasn't evil.  Hell, I don't know.  A lot of them are like American Christians.  Not very devout at all.

ETA: And what, exactly, are you proving?

I didn't start the thread making a point about muslims who aren't crazy. I don't have anything to prove. You go up on someone's roof with a bunch of other guys, armed to the teeth, and in advance of a huge invasion force. They are nice to you, and that proves they are good people? No, that makes them survivors. To be fair, it also proves they aren't crazy, but I don't think that's the kind of crazy you mean.

Link Posted: 9/21/2012 8:31:03 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And watch their families get sodomized and beheaded before they get beheaded.  The good muslims are good.  The bad muslims are the worst examples of humanity imaginable.

Same reason certain Latin American countries are overrun with cartel filth. If the locals who aren't nut jobs got together to clean their communities out it could probably work. The problem in all of these cases is the fact that the dangerous criminals have the high-ground in that they are already armed and organized. So, in the end, the good people in those countries basically become a non-factor.

Link Posted: 9/21/2012 8:42:26 PM EDT
[#38]
On Aug 9th 1945 we dropped 2 bombs on the civilian population of  Japan. On August 10th the entire population of Japan became moderate.

We as civilians are responsible for our government and religious leaders actions. Just the way the World works.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 8:43:19 PM EDT
[#39]
I ran into many. Many many patriotic Iraqi's when I was training the Iraqi Police. Many were corrupt scum, but the good patriotic ones made up for them.

A couple stand out in my mind. We were living in an Iraqi Police station on the outskirts of Sadr City in the Ahdamiya district of Baghdad. The surge was kicking off and it was a very dangerous time in Baghdad. It was a PLT of 1-26 INF and a squad of us MPs. We kept 3 soldiers and 3 IPs out at the main gate with us, pulling guard. Car drives up, out pops several dudes with RPKs at a cross street about 100 yards away.

One of the IPs takes a round through and through the shoulder. Our medic fixes him up, and sends him to the hospital. The next morning, less than 8 hours later, he is standing at the main gate pulling duty, rifle in one hand, other arm in sling. "Dude, what the fuck are you doing? Shouldn't you be resting????" "No, mister, I have country to fix." "Rock on buddy!"

Another was a terp of ours. He was an Iraqi. During the course of our tour, his two sons and wife are kidnapped by militia who have discovered his identity. We recovered them, and put him and his family in the green zone. He was pretty much despondant when we rotated out - he had started with horrible english...however he joked with soldiers, and while we were merciless, he had a quick wit and didn't get offended easily. He started to get some real zingers in there. Guy was another true patriot. I got him alone one day and asked him why he would do what he does, knowing it puts his family at risk. He stated that, "I love my family awfully, but my country is broken." "Why wouldn't you let someone else fix it?" "If not me, then who?"

Fucker was awesome
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 8:46:56 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A billion of them, a billion of us. Neither is going away.

Helping the normal people define islam (have something like a reformation) would be a way to a safer world. But too many here just hate too much with a broad brush and without actually looking and thinking. Just like liberals.

Funny you should say that. I think that we are beginning to see one start.

I'm not that optomistic.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 8:47:48 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd never flame you for that. Anybody who paints with too broad a brush is an idiot. I know a few Bosnians, aTurk, and even some Iranians who fled the Ayatollah (Grandpa worked for the Shah, it was leave or die.) and they're all good folks. Different, but they're American.

Me and him have butted heads. He's an anti-smoking nazi.

He still seems like an ok guy. Opinions, we all have them. I have been to Turkey. I was treated kindly, and the terrain was beautiful.

Didn't realize that. Makes sense now.

A Turk that is anti smoking?  Even a Dr?

No, that doesn't make sense.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 8:48:15 PM EDT
[#42]
They follow their leaders.  The moderate leaders are silent. The radical leaders are behind the violence.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 8:48:35 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Nope op, I was there too, and they ALL are pretty much shitbags, but you can kumbaya andbe in love with them all you want. You are wrong, but that's your right

I am.  Well, at least one family.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 8:49:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I appreciate the fact your wife is Moroccan.

But you do realize this "problem" isn't going to go away anytime soon, right ?

We don't want this fight, period.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 8:52:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Flame away.

Thank you and good story. I hope they are still alive for the kindness they showed.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 8:52:57 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

They follow their leaders. The moderate leaders are silent. The radical leaders are behind the violence.

Not completely.

One thing is the media gives them almost no coverage.

One thing that still sticks in my craw, is in 2008 there was a big 'moderate' islam conference in Atlanta. Several imams were there along with many other muslim speakers talking about how they needed to quit with the violence.

It got ZERO media coverage and I don't think the Bush Admin even sent a rep down there.
Ask yourself, why did you never hear about this.
http://www.payvand.com/news/08/mar/1107.html
This conference grew out of the recognition that often, dissenting ideas against the prevailing religious traditions are written off as heresy. Nearly all the prophets and great thinkers throughout history have been accused of being heretics. Furthermore, the stereotypical image of Muslims seems to be, as Fereydoun Taslimi, another conference organizer puts it, "An intolerance of a seemingly vain re-action to a cartoon or film and a tolerance for tyranny or oppression by some Muslims and Islamic governments. However, throughout Islam's history dissenting ideas have been prevalent and tolerated more than they have in many other religions."

"In the present atmosphere, one of the best places to hold such a conference is the United States, where Muslims can freely express their opinions without the fear of persecution" said another organizer author, activist and dissident Edip Yuksel, who will be leading a panel on critical thinking at the conference.

The conference will have panels on several topics, including critical looks at Sharia and related concerns, the Hadith and Sunnah, the absence of democracy in many Muslim countries, and women's rights.

Link Posted: 9/21/2012 8:54:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
They follow their leaders. The moderate leaders are silent. The radical leaders are behind the violence.

How do you know this? Is there a reasonable argument a moderate person can lay out to a violent radical that will make them say "Ah, of course, you are right and I was wrong. How did I not see this before?"

Can moderate Christianity talk Westoboro Baptists out of protesting the funerals of fallen solders or is all of US clerical leadership in tacit approval of their actions?
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 8:56:48 PM EDT
[#48]
It's the same as any other group of people, organization, etc. You can find good and bad people in any circumstance, but the vocal ones ruin it for the rest. It's just like any group where there's stereotypes much like how other nations view Americans, how Americans view the French, etc. The good people get caught up in all the negativity and bullshit and in this instance, are forced to take a side or be silent out of fear of retaliation from radicals who disagree with them.

It's a pretty negative world out there, now more than ever. It's made even worse by the fact that the media only displays the negatives and not the positives. There's plenty of great stories out there that are passed up because a negative story will get them more hits in the end in their eyes and people are too wrapped up in the latest stupidity in Hollywood to care. Thanks for the story and  your service though.

Maybe it's the optimist in me. Lost my dream intel job in the Air Force and now will slowly go paralyzed until it fully sets in, yet all other people in my life can do is tell me their petty shit and I just listen. Not much you can do but try to stay positive, but it's hard with so much negativity surrounding you at all times. We're trained to focus on the bad instead of the good.

That's about as close to a hippie response as I'll ever post.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#49]
When Dave Chappelle releases a video of him cutting someone's head off in the name of Allah, then I know all hope will be lost.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 9:07:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I ran into many. Many many patriotic Iraqi's when I was training the Iraqi Police. Many were corrupt scum, but the good patriotic ones made up for them.

A couple stand out in my mind. We were living in an Iraqi Police station on the outskirts of Sadr City in the Ahdamiya district of Baghdad. The surge was kicking off and it was a very dangerous time in Baghdad. It was a PLT of 1-26 INF and a squad of us MPs. We kept 3 soldiers and 3 IPs out at the main gate with us, pulling guard. Car drives up, out pops several dudes with RPKs at a cross street about 100 yards away.

One of the IPs takes a round through and through the shoulder. Our medic fixes him up, and sends him to the hospital. The next morning, less than 8 hours later, he is standing at the main gate pulling duty, rifle in one hand, other arm in sling. "Dude, what the fuck are you doing? Shouldn't you be resting????" "No, mister, I have country to fix." "Rock on buddy!"

Another was a terp of ours. He was an Iraqi. During the course of our tour, his two sons and wife are kidnapped by militia who have discovered his identity. We recovered them, and put him and his family in the green zone. He was pretty much despondant when we rotated out - he had started with horrible english...however he joked with soldiers, and while we were merciless, he had a quick wit and didn't get offended easily. He started to get some real zingers in there. Guy was another true patriot. I got him alone one day and asked him why he would do what he does, knowing it puts his family at risk. He stated that, "I love my family awfully, but my country is broken." "Why wouldn't you let someone else fix it?" "If not me, then who?"

Fucker was awesome

Thanks for sharing that.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top