BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 1:27:53 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They did not work for shit and were very unreliable due to the lack of dwell time with the gas port being so close to the muzzle. This is the reason Colt dropped them and pretty much why every one uses a mid length gas system. I had Colt one back in the early 90s and it was erratic and very ammo sensitive. I loved the concept but did not trust it so I sold it off. Whent he mid length came out I jumped on one.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can not just cut down a 20" barrel to make a dissapator with a midlength gas system. There is no place to put the mid length gas block for one and if you tried to use the rifle length gas system with the barrel cut to 16" then you get unreliable operation.

meant to add you need to open the gas port, lots or people have done it in the retro section. thats also the way Colt did it.

They did not work for shit and were very unreliable due to the lack of dwell time with the gas port being so close to the muzzle. This is the reason Colt dropped them and pretty much why every one uses a mid length gas system. I had Colt one back in the early 90s and it was erratic and very ammo sensitive. I loved the concept but did not trust it so I sold it off. Whent he mid length came out I jumped on one.

That's good to know.  For a while there, "Mock dissipator" was sounding like a cop out, but if what you say is true, then a mock dissipator is a step up from the original dissipator design.

From your other post, it seems like you know your shit.  Are you a gunsmith?
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 2:04:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Long before Mid Length Gas Systems. Bushmaster did them with a simple Carbine Length Gas System.

The gas block was a standard front sight base cut and rounded out.

Link Posted: 6/11/2015 4:49:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

That's good to know.  For a while there, "Mock dissipator" was sounding like a cop out, but if what you say is true, then a mock dissipator is a step up from the original dissipator design.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can not just cut down a 20" barrel to make a dissapator with a midlength gas system. There is no place to put the mid length gas block for one and if you tried to use the rifle length gas system with the barrel cut to 16" then you get unreliable operation.

meant to add you need to open the gas port, lots or people have done it in the retro section. thats also the way Colt did it.

Mechanical Engineer in the firearms industry

Link Posted: 6/11/2015 11:43:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The carbine gas system is definitely more reliable then the full length gas system, But when done right the full length will work. Lots of guy in the retro section have done and been very successful. plus their OCD wont allow them to have the carbine gas system in their reproduction dissipator.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 12:56:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The carbine gas system is definitely more reliable then the full length gas system, But when done right the full length will work. Lots of guy in the retro section have done and been very successful. plus their OCD wont allow them to have the carbine gas system in their reproduction dissipator.
View Quote

Therefore we have the middy.  It all makes sense.  I pick up the upper and lower tomorrow. Pics will follow.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 8:14:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Got mine in today, cant wait to shoot it.

Link Posted: 6/15/2015 8:15:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Got mine in today, cant wait to shoot it.

<a href="http://s542.photobucket.com/user/jm0502/media/20150615_152312_zps2yyarh50.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/gg415/jm0502/20150615_152312_zps2yyarh50.jpg</a>
View Quote

Looks good.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm just waiting on the handguard and vfg. Now to get an FDE BUIS and WML.

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 8:37:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Handguard took the scenic route via USPS

Finally done*

*minus MBUS and WMLX
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 9:16:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow that looks familiar! Here's mine...

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 11:24:22 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote
Nice looking boom stick.  Even the same cantilever mount and BAD lever...  I plan to put an FDE WMLX on it.

I have the same optic and optic cover but I put it on my FDE colt.

What is the front of the sling attached to?
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 11:39:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 11:58:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
An Impact Arms anti-rotation QD socket he installed or had installed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice looking boom stick.  Even the same cantilever mount and BAD lever...  I plan to put an FDE WMLX on it.

I have the same optic and optic cover but I put it on my FDE colt.

What is the front of the sling attached to?

An Impact Arms anti-rotation QD socket he installed or had installed.
My google fu is weak tonight. Care to share a link, my friend?

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 12:13:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 12:15:05 AM EDT
[#15]

Pretty dang nifty.  Do you bust out a knife and cut a hole or do you need a certain drill bit size?

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 6:05:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Pretty dang nifty.  Do you bust out a knife and cut a hole or do you need a certain drill bit size?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

There is a link towards the bottom of the web page with instructions and pictures on how to mount to a MOE handguard.

I'm going to be trying this soon I think.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 7:36:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I got the CTR stock but the rest looks like what I'm trying to get to.  You like the AFG better than a VFG?    

Where'd you get the SOPMOD stock?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's a damn good upper and price. I paid $299 for mine.

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q713/bedouin2w/Dissy/20140709_185748_zpsdc68wvyp.jpg
I got the CTR stock but the rest looks like what I'm trying to get to.  You like the AFG better than a VFG?    

Sorry that I'm just now seeing your reply.

I like the AFG better than a VFG but now that my Dissipator has a 51T mount it is in the wrong position and of have to move it damn near to the front of the handguard to have the same effect. Aesthetically that would look silly and it would be extremely fatiguing.

I got the SOPMOD from PSA as well.

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 10:38:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I like the AFG better than a VFG but now that my Dissipator has a 51T mount it is in the wrong position and of have to move it damn near to the front of the handguard to have the same effect. Aesthetically that would look silly and it would be extremely fatiguing.

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q713/bedouin2w/Dissy/dissypartsactual_zpsfe7ffe62.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a damn good upper and price. I paid $299 for mine.

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q713/bedouin2w/Dissy/20140709_185748_zpsdc68wvyp.jpg

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q713/bedouin2w/Dissy/dissypartsactual_zpsfe7ffe62.jpg
Not bad.  That list just gave me some ideas for an Mk18ish build.

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top