Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/7/2021 3:17:33 PM EDT
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/07/science/particle-physics-muon-fermilab-brookhaven.html

Finding From Particle Research Could Rewrite Known Laws of Physics
It’s not the next Higgs boson — yet. But the best explanation, physicists say, involves forms of matter and energy not currently known to science.
The Muon g-2 ring, at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory in Batavia, Ill., operates at minus 450 degrees Fahrenheit and studies the wobble of muons as they travel through the magnetic field.Credit...Reidar Hahn/Fermilab, via U.S. Department of Energy
Dennis Overbye
By Dennis Overbye
April 7, 2021
Updated 3:15 p.m. ET
SIGN UP FOR SCIENCE TIMES: Get stories that capture the wonders of nature, the cosmos and the human body.
Evidence is mounting that a tiny subatomic particle seems to be disobeying the known laws of physics, scientists announced on Wednesday, a finding that would open a vast and tantalizing hole in our understanding of the universe.

The result, physicists say, suggests that there forms of matter and energy vital to the nature and evolution of the cosmos that are not yet known to science. The new work, they said, could eventually lead to breakthroughs more dramatic than the heralded discovery in 2012 of the Higgs boson, a particle that imbues other particles with mass.

“This is our Mars rover landing moment,” said Chris Polly, a physicist at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory, or Fermilab, in Batavia, Ill., where the research is being conducted. He has been working on the project for most of his career.

Dr. Polly is part of an international team of 200 physicists from 35 institutions and seven countries who have been operating an experiment at Fermilab involving muons, subatomic particles that are akin to electrons but far heavier. When muons were shot through an intense magnetic field, they did not behave quite as expected, according to precise theoretical predictions.

ADVERTISEMENT

View Quote
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 3:18:04 PM EDT
[#1]
2021 is the gift  that keeps giving
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 3:20:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Also, @MrHiggs
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 3:22:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Hello, I'm WhiskersTheCat. I'm CapnRob's understudy and I'll be taking over for him this evening.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 3:22:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Also, @MrHiggs
View Quote

LOL let the real experts talk here pal. I think those Iranian scientists on youtube know a little bit more than this arfcom "expert"
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 3:23:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

LOL let the real experts talk here pal. I think those Iranian scientists on youtube know a little bit more than this arfcom "expert"
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 3:24:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I got to work at the Los Alamos one, not much too see but its amazing what it does.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 3:25:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
  At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if we manage to rip a hole in the space/time continuum and unleash an apocalyptic nightmare of inter dimensional aliens/demons/etc.
 At least the COVID19 nightmare would be over.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 3:25:58 PM EDT
[#8]
This is another example of how little humans understand when it comes to our existence and the universe.  We have come a long damn way in the last century, though!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 3:27:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I, for one, welcome our muon overlords.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 3:28:21 PM EDT
[#10]
A lot of you do not believe in vaccines but you want to talk about new possible physics?
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 3:29:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
a vast and tantalizing hole
View Quote

But enough about my girlfriend

but enough about my girlfriend
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 3:29:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I, for one, welcome our wobbly muon overlords.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 3:30:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
  At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if we manage to rip a hole in the space/time continuum and unleash an apocalyptic nightmare of inter dimensional aliens/demons/etc.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/7/2021 3:32:19 PM EDT
[#14]
WAUSG (Wild Assed Un-scientific Guess)

Fermilab due to its age has an undetected malfunction in the accelerator or detector.  

Really though, these are the kinds of things that, once understood, could be a real game changer for humanity.  I hope it's real and it's a significant discovery that will enable us to quickly do things we never thought were possible.  Energy, transportation, and/or communication could be in for a huge disruption.  I'm hopeful.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 3:36:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A lot of you do not believe in vaccines but you want to talk about new possible physics?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 3:40:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope so.

Maybe Dolly will get her braces back.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 3:42:55 PM EDT
[#17]
What do cows do when they get exciting physics news like this? Nothing. They just muon.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 3:43:44 PM EDT
[#18]
cool it down and spin it around and the devil comes out
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 3:44:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#20]
When are we getting our ZPMs?
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 3:47:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, exactly what some of us are concerned about the vacines.

"The universe works like this!!!!"....well no not exactly.

"The vaccine works like this!!!"....well no not exactly.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 3:51:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, duuuuhhhh!
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 3:53:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What do cows do when they get exciting physics news like this? Nothing. They just muon.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 3:54:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you trying out for the arfcom special olympics with this post?
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 4:01:10 PM EDT
[#25]
I  spent many hours keeping the muon factory up and running.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 4:10:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Also, @MrHiggs
View Quote

Don’t you mean CapnRob
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 4:26:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cows already got scientific stuff figgered out. The reason they’e always faced the same way is because of magnetic North.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Paging @ Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 6:31:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Finding From Particle Research Could Rewrite Known Laws of Physics
It’s not the next Higgs boson — yet. But the best explanation, physicists say, involves forms of matter and energy not currently known to science.
The Muon g-2 ring, at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory in Batavia, Ill., operates at minus 450 degrees Fahrenheit and studies the wobble of muons as they travel through the magnetic field.Credit...Reidar Hahn/Fermilab, via U.S. Department of Energy
Dennis Overbye
By Dennis Overbye
April 7, 2021
Updated 3:15 p.m. ET
SIGN UP FOR SCIENCE TIMES: Get stories that capture the wonders of nature, the cosmos and the human body.
Evidence is mounting that a tiny subatomic particle seems to be disobeying the known laws of physics, scientists announced on Wednesday, a finding that would open a vast and tantalizing hole in our understanding of the universe.

The result, physicists say, suggests that there forms of matter and energy vital to the nature and evolution of the cosmos that are not yet known to science. The new work, they said, could eventually lead to breakthroughs more dramatic than the heralded discovery in 2012 of the Higgs boson, a particle that imbues other particles with mass.

“This is our Mars rover landing moment,” said Chris Polly, a physicist at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory, or Fermilab, in Batavia, Ill., where the research is being conducted. He has been working on the project for most of his career.

Dr. Polly is part of an international team of 200 physicists from 35 institutions and seven countries who have been operating an experiment at Fermilab involving muons, subatomic particles that are akin to electrons but far heavier. When muons were shot through an intense magnetic field, they did not behave quite as expected, according to precise theoretical predictions.
View Quote

ignorance of the law is no excuse.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 8:02:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Much of the muon factory was built out of parts from the old antiproton (Pbar) factory. (The Pbar source made the antimatter for the Tevatron to collide with protons which allowed the Tevatron to get twice the collision energy the  it was designed for.)    Reusing the Pbar source saved a lot of money, got more use out of existing hardware that was paid for and abandoned,  and made possible another experiment that's going to follow g-2, called Mu2e.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 8:13:48 PM EDT
[#31]
I've been telling you guys this for years. How many times have i gone on here, saying that the particle célèbre is the muon, which is akin to an electron but far heavier, and is an integral element of the cosmos.

Duh !

And everyone here is like: "whatever Mayday"...."stop drinking Mayday"....."Put your pants back on Mayday".
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 8:15:18 PM EDT
[#32]
It's the official subatomic particle of Wisconsin.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 8:17:52 PM EDT
[#33]
maybe muons are what I have been farting lately, not sure what it is but needs to be studied.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 8:20:01 PM EDT
[#34]
The war of the worlds movie from the 50’s had me all jazzed over Mesons, only to have the Muons come along and destroy it all.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 8:37:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The war of the worlds movie from the 50’s had me all jazzed over Mesons, only to have the Muons come along and destroy it all.
View Quote

You're a little confused. The 50s movies were not about Mesons. They were about something much bigger. Light metal particles called aluminatays.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 8:56:15 PM EDT
[#36]
science today:  just keep assigning mystery particles and energies when/where needed
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 10:11:20 PM EDT
[#37]
I just saw the bat signal. What are we talking about? I like how the NYT article manages to go on and on about the experiment and not really say anything.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 10:13:52 PM EDT
[#38]
I really think there is more we don't know than what we know.  Each time we seem to get a deeper understand we raise more questions.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 10:15:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I hope so.

Maybe Dolly will get her braces back.
View Quote

Yeah, because I liked that timeline.  This one sucks.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 10:16:31 PM EDT
[#40]
How many observed sub atomic particles need to defy the "known laws of physics" before academia admits that our fundamental understanding of physics is fucked?

Asking for a friend

Speed
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 10:17:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Why the Muon g-2 Results Are So Exciting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4Ko7NW2yQo
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 10:18:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I just saw the bat signal. What are we talking about? I like how the NYT article manages to go on and on about the experiment and not really say anything.
View Quote

Yeah they are really terrible at reporting things aren't they?

Link Posted: 4/7/2021 10:19:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
How many observed sub atomic particles need to defy the "known laws of physics" before academia admits that our fundamental understanding of physics is fucked?

Asking for a friend

Speed
View Quote
The problem is they match the SM pretty fucking well. The deviations are very tiny. There are still some big puzzles left, and the big issue is even if you can detect the deviations, at this point we don't know what they mean. The proton spin puzzle, naturalness, and this result are just a few examples.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 10:21:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Translation: The fucking LHC is getting upgrades and WE NEED MORE FUNDING!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 10:23:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The problem is they match the SM pretty fucking well. The deviations are very tiny. There are still some big puzzles left, and the big issue is even if you can detect the deviations, at this point we don't know what they mean. The proton spin puzzle, naturalness, and this result are just a few examples.
View Quote

Ya, that's mostly over my head, but it would seem like: just because you got MOST of the puzzle pieces to fit, doesn't mean you're actually close to solving the puzzle

You may have just jammed them together wrong in the first place

Speed
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 10:23:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Translation: The fucking LHC is getting upgrades and WE NEED MORE FUNDING!!
View Quote
The LHC is the only particle physics experiment funded via treaty obligation. They're getting their money one way or another.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 10:24:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Ya, that's mostly over my head, but it would seem like: just because you got MOST of the puzzle pieces to fit, doesn't mean you're actually close to solving the puzzle

You may have just jammed them together wrong in the first place

Speed
View Quote
It's more like the puzzle fits together, but the corners aren't perfectly square at the end.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 10:25:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Publish or perish. Got to get that funding coming in.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 10:25:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
No kidding.   Highly annoying.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 10:26:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top