Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 2:23:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I've ordered a sling for this rifle and the sling will be a real 1907 sling made of leather and not some stupid nylon sling or some piece of three point foolishness.
View Quote
 Fluffy, as always, you haz taste.

Oh, and page 3 ownage!

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
You clearly are not a real Arfcommer: no toes in the pic.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 2:28:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

One of the best things about those old calibers.........you can actually buy them pretty much anywhere and anyplace that sells ammunition. The ''flavor of the day'' round, not so much.
View Quote
Yuuuuuup.  Anyone seen any .41 AE or Etronix ammo around?
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 2:31:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of the best things about those old calibers.........you can actually buy them pretty much anywhere and anyplace that sells ammunition. The ''flavor of the day'' round, not so much.

See, those were yesteryear's ''flavor of the day'' rounds.

And actually, I knew someone last year that had about 5K of .41AE he was trying to dump.

Wasn't the only thing different about ETRONIX ammo the primer itself when it came to the cartridge?
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 2:36:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I am at the range now. My buddy is with me and prior to today he had never fired a centerfire bolt action rifle before. Here's his group with the Sako at 100 yards

The load was my Garand load.

48 grains of IMR 4895, together with 150 grain Hornady SST bullets.

So there you go.  I have my deer load for this fall.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 2:41:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 2:52:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am at the range now. My buddy is with me and prior to today he had never fired a centerfire bolt action rifle before. Here's his group with the Sako at 100 yards

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/234818/20230421_122829-2790813.jpg

The load was my Garand load.

48 grains of IMR 4895, together with 150 grain Hornady SST bullets.

So there you go.  I have my deer load for this fall.
View Quote

Looks to me like you're ready to go and with a great rifle!
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 2:57:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Okay grandpa, time for bed.
View Quote

pretty much this.....  I am old, stupid old.  And even I read that post going "wtf is wrong with you boy"

gotta be alcohol involved
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 3:11:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

pretty much this.....  I am old, stupid old.  And even I read that post going "wtf is wrong with you boy"

gotta be alcohol involved
View Quote

You say that you are old and stupid. I agree with you.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 3:18:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Attachment Attached File

I'm good.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 3:20:24 PM EDT
[#11]
OP is correct.  I had a pre-Garcia Sako Forester in .243.  Superb rifle.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 3:31:23 PM EDT
[#12]
close, but I like a lighter version
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 3:32:07 PM EDT
[#13]
great looking rifle, but, I see no way to mount the weapon light or laser
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 3:37:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

My belly shields my toes…. In fact , I never see them unless I’m walking
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I guess you have to use what Justin says you can have.  Question,  at what age do your balls fall off in Canada?
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 3:48:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Pretty rifle OP.

Enjoy it in good health!

(Kill a møøse with it and post pics so those not in the know get to know)
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 4:28:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I guess you have to use what Justin says you can have.  Question,  at what age do your balls fall off in Canada?
View Quote

If that rifle is over 10k joules Justin will be coming for it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 6:39:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Shucks chilluns, when we was growing up, our .22's weighed more then your fancy pants .30 calibers of today and we carried them all day without complaining. Iffn we didn't bring home 5 rabbits with 5 rounds we were beaten and sent to bed without supper which usually consisted of mashed turnips, some old bread, and a lump of boiled meat the butcher couldn't sell that day.

And these .30 cal's took way more deer back in the day then people want to admit. Nowadays they argue they don't even have enough oomph to take out anything that weighs more then 30 pounds.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#20]
That stock wouldn't work for me because I shoot rifles left-handed.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 6:50:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This is what a real rifle looks like. It is a Sako L-61 in .30-06.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/234818/20230419_101656-2790122.jpg

First take note that it is not in some metrosexual caliber. It is in a serious manly caliber that means business.

Secondly there are no stamped, alloy or plastic parts on the rifle. Everything is forged, machined or milled. The stock is made of real walnut and not from recycled toothbrush handles or recycled sex toys.

Now take a look at the scope. It is a fixed 6x42 Meopta. It doesn't need silly doo dads such a picatinny rail or variable power. It is perfectly balanced, strong and reliable.

The stock features hand checkering and it was obviously crafted with pride. The metal is highly polished and beautifully blued. They don't blue rifles this way anymore because of namby pamby environmental regulations.

I've ordered a sling for this rifle and the sling will be a real 1907 sling made of leather and not some stupid nylon sling or some piece of three point foolishness.

So perhaps some of you young schmoes might learn something from this. But I doubt it.

In the meantime keep off my lawn.

View Quote

The only caliber you'll ever need.
If it were a pre64 model 70 action it would be perfect .
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 6:58:00 PM EDT
[#22]
You lost me at "It doesn't need pic rails".  Pic rails are probably one of the greatest inventions of the last 100 years.  Along with MOLLE.  No more dealing with stupid fucking individual Weaver mounts, it's one en bloc mount, one fucking rail, to rule them all.  And I'm a boomer.

I gotta admit, beautiful as wood is, I prefer synthetic for shooters.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 6:59:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Two main failures.  Bolt handle on the wrong side and no iron sights.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 7:00:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Two main failures.  Bolt handle on the wrong side and no iron sights.
View Quote

That bolt's on God's side, sonny!
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 7:11:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That stock wouldn't work for me because I shoot rifles leftwrong-handed.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 7:19:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Not bad, needs a can.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:50:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Honestly,  if you weren't raised hunting,  its a different animal trying to get into it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wish I had a use for a hunting rifle. Looks good.
Explain why you can't hunt?  Even if you're in an IL urban area, it probably is 2hr drive.

Honestly,  if you weren't raised hunting,  its a different animal trying to get into it.

This is the unfortunate truth. It shouldn't be, but it is. That said it does somewhat limit shitheads.

Signed, a guy who was raised hunting with access to some of the best deer hunting land in the state.

Damn fine looking rifle in a damn fine caliber, OP.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:32:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This is what a real rifle looks like. It is a Sako L-61 in .30-06.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/234818/20230419_101656-2790122.jpg

First take note that it is not in some metrosexual caliber. It is in a serious manly caliber that means business.

Secondly there are no stamped, alloy or plastic parts on the rifle. Everything is forged, machined or milled. The stock is made of real walnut and not from recycled toothbrush handles or recycled sex toys.

Now take a look at the scope. It is a fixed 6x42 Meopta. It doesn't need silly doo dads such a picatinny rail or variable power. It is perfectly balanced, strong and reliable.

The stock features hand checkering and it was obviously crafted with pride. The metal is highly polished and beautifully blued. They don't blue rifles this way anymore because of namby pamby environmental regulations.

So perhaps some of you young schmoes might learn something from this. But I doubt it.

In the meantime keep off my lawn.

View Quote

Needs 6X Lyman Alaskan.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:12:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Newly introduced?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Try to keep up, old guy.
This is the future.
Winchester Featherweight  in the newly introduced 7mm08.
New fangled 1.5-5x variable scope.
Futuristic quick adjustable nylon sling.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/340315/IMG_20180728_060213_jpg-2790168.JPG

Newly introduced?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 5:59:15 PM EDT
[#30]
When I originally posted this thread, I caused a lot of offense. But if you expect me to apologize, you're wrong.

Instead I am going to double down. I am even more committed to my original position after something that happened today.

I am in Edmonton today and I stopped by at one of my favorite gunshops. The guy behind the counter knows me and he knows that I am a big CZ fan.

So he told me that he had one of CZ's latest rifles. He handed me something called the CZ-600 Ergo. When I held it, I thought at first that CZ had come out with a super-economy disposable rifle to compete with Mossberg or Remington.

Even so, I felt bile rise to the back of my throat. How could a formerly renowned marque such as Ceska Zbrojovka sink so deeply into the muck and the sludge? This rifle is a hodge podge of cheap-jack ingredients carelessly and haphazardly thrown together. The resulting putrid mess is simply disgusting--especially since this abomination costs $1300!

I can afford to buy any rifle I want; however, I cannot afford to even look at this one. It leaves me feeling sad, demoralized and sick at heart.

So heed my advice and go looking for quality older rifles. If you get the right used rifle, you can still have a piece to feel proud of. If necessary an older rifle can be rebuilt or restored. But whatever you do, do not waste time with garbage. You do not want to feel ashamed.

It pains me to say this, but I am done with CZ.

Here's the CZ-600 Ergo.  I was going to say that it looks like it was designed by Target Target; however, even he has a slight modicum of taste and sensibility

Link Posted: 4/28/2023 6:09:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Is that a creedmoor? I heard those are cool
View Quote

Creedmoor is a man's rifle:

Link Posted: 4/28/2023 11:13:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

OP long ago I bought a used Sears Ted Williams model 53 which was a branded Winchester model 70. It was a 30-06 and I was a fool to sell it. It had a fixed 4 power scope-a Weaver if I remember right. This was in the mid ‘80s.
I miss that rifle.
And for the youth here the 30-06 can be loaded with a 110gr bullet up through a 220gr and can take every animal on the North American continent.
View Quote

I have one with a 1907 sling and a 3-9 Loopy VX1. The trigger on that rifle is amazing.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 11:21:07 PM EDT
[#33]
OPs rifle is from the day when the shooter mattered way more than the rifle.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top