Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/7/2018 6:04:17 PM EDT
I've spent enough time rust belt wrenching to know that there isn't much difference between penetrating oils.  More leverage and maybe some heat (if you can get away with it) are the only things guaranteed to help every time.  

https://hooktube.com/watch?v=YeTNXbDbHcM
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 6:05:53 PM EDT
[#1]
In before the depositions and lawsuits.

@fireclean
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Agreed, they're all very close in real world performance. They differ in smell and lubrication endurance pretty significantly, however. I prefer liquid wrench for the all around penetrant.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 6:08:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Won't load for me. Is this Ave's latest video? If so I saw it last night. I was bummed since I've been a big proponent of Kroil for years over other products, specially WD 40 and PB Blaster. Seems as though I might have some rethinking to do, as well as some apologies to make.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 6:10:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Won't load for me. Is this Ave's latest video? If so I saw it last night. I was bummed since I've been a big proponent of Kroil for years over other products, specially WD 40 and PB Blaster. Seems as though I might have some rethinking to do, as well as some apologies to make.
View Quote
Yeah.   Not the one with WD-40 and PB blaster though.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 6:16:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I have kroil.  Anyone have reviews on Mouse Milk?
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 6:24:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Tried to watch the video.

Dude is annoying af.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 6:27:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have kroil.  Anyone have reviews on Mouse Milk?
View Quote
dang it...beat. Mouse Milk is amazing. Unless its your turn to milk the mice...
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 6:28:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Dude is annoying af.
View Quote
I was going to leave this thread til I read your post.... I had to watch it and your exactly right .....I made it 48 seconds....
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 6:29:02 PM EDT
[#9]
He has another video a few down showing the best penetrating oils... I’ve personally had Kroil work for me on more than one occasion with stuck threaded objects, where I wasn’t allowed to have a flame.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 6:29:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I've used Kroil a fair bit over the years, but always the regular stuff out of a pour-can, never the aerosol AeroKroil. No idea if any difference or not - though it sounds like the regular stuff I'm accustomed to is far cheaper than the aerosol.

Quoted:

Dude is annoying af.
View Quote
Blasphemy. Uncle bumblefuck is the best.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 6:32:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Not sure what to tell you but Kroil has taken off more shit when everything else has failed.   PB blaster is my go to, Kroil when I need it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 6:48:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I was surprised and a little disappointed. Kroil is my favorite, and I've used a lot of it over the years.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 6:54:44 PM EDT
[#13]
It's supposed to be the more you know the more you realize the differences.

But in reality the more you know the more you realize its almost all the same in some regards.

His video's showed that most of the penetrating oils all are within the range of "sameness" with WD40 being on top.

and at ~$15-20 dollars a gallon vs Kroil's ~$70-80  that's going to sting some peoples asses FIERCE.

Penetrating oils have their place on short threaded fasteners but on long partial threaded bolts they all fucking suck and out comes the impact hammer.
I've made quite a bit of cash busting out swingarm bolts from dirt bikes, and no amount of oil is gonna beat 3500 BPM vibrating the rust and loosing the fastener.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 6:54:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Did he mention Ed's Red? (I couldn't force myself to watch more than a couple of minutes)
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 6:57:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Our aviation mechanics use kroil.

I like jet fuel and atf mixed together as well.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 6:58:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Not sure what to tell you but Kroil has taken off more shit when everything else has failed.   PB blaster is my go to, Kroil when I need it.
View Quote
Kroil when I know it's going to be a bitch, suspension parts ect. Liquid Wrench for everything else.

Kroil + time makes a huge difference. If I hose it down the day before and give it the time to penetrate, winning. Last year I had to replace all four strut on the kids 06 corolla. I prepped the car the day before and all those rusty parts came off without having to throw a wrench across the garage
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 7:04:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 7:07:14 PM EDT
[#18]
AeroKroil works better and faster than anything I have ever tried.

It's like it knows to go back into the threads.

I've tested it side by side with LR and there is no comparison.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 7:10:15 PM EDT
[#19]
PB for me
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 7:10:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I like Kroil and nothing anyone says is going to change my mind.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 7:13:04 PM EDT
[#21]
its amazing people will still hold to anecdotal evidence even after presented with objective test

sickening
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 7:14:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Dude is annoying af.
View Quote
Think he is a member here.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#23]
duper dupe.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#24]
WTF? Triple post.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 7:18:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yeah.   Not the one with WD-40 and PB blaster though.
View Quote
I've seen both of them, I'm subscribed to Ave's channel and get notification when he posts a new video.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 7:20:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Dude is annoying af.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 7:21:05 PM EDT
[#27]
ATF and Acetone.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It's supposed to be the more you know the more you realize the differences.

But in reality the more you know the more you realize its almost all the same in some regards.

His video's showed that most of the penetrating oils all are within the range of "sameness" with WD40 being on top.

and at ~$15-20 dollars a gallon vs Kroil's ~$70-80  that's going to sting some peoples asses FIERCE.

Penetrating oils have their place on short threaded fasteners but on long partial threaded bolts they all fucking suck and out comes the impact hammer.
I've made quite a bit of cash busting out swingarm bolts from dirt bikes, and no amount of oil is gonna beat 3500 BPM vibrating the rust and loosing the fastener.
View Quote
Where penetrating oils shine is where you can't afford to break a bolt off because you either don't have the equipment or skill to remove it, or it would be so time consuming as to remove all the profit from a job. I used to take a certain job that everyone hated because they'd break half the bolts off the job would go to shit. I would only do it if I got it a day in advance so I could let the penetrating oil sit over night. The difference was a final job that took one hour and was easy peasy compared to one that took 3-4 hours and was a flaming bitch. That's when I learned to love Kroil. This was 20+ years ago and back then nothing was even close to being as good as Kroil for loosening threads in blind threaded holes. Now I guess there's not much difference.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 7:34:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
its amazing people will still hold to anecdotal evidence even after presented with objective test

sickening
View Quote
Lab vs real world testing.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 7:40:37 PM EDT
[#30]
PB Blaster is what we use around here working on old farm equipment. I have heard people having good luck with candle wax and lighter but I don't have time for that crap.

removing rusted nuts using a candle and a lighter
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 7:52:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude is annoying af.
I bet he is.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 7:52:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Heat induction tools.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 7:54:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Used to be a PB guy.....then I mixed up a gallon of Ed's Red.  No more store bought penetrating oil for me.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 7:55:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Been using SiliKroil for years. Works dandy. Just ordered another case last week.
I use Ed’s Red for firearm cleanliness....
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 8:01:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Mix ATF and acetone, 50:50. Superior to anything else I've tried.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 8:04:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Lol.  None of that bullshit works.

The only stuff that comes close to working comes in a pressurized can and mixes with oxygen in an exothermic reaction, then you have a chance.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 8:05:35 PM EDT
[#37]
AeroKroil is the shit.

Done several side by side tests. AeroKroil wins hands down. Have caused at least a dozen guys to switch to it.

If it works, I don't care if it costs $100 a gallon.

I hate beating on shit when I am trying to fix something.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 8:07:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
ATF and Acetone.
View Quote
Here's the thread from Garage Journal's forum showing a test run by Machinist's Workshop magazine of the various penetrants. The 50:50 ATF-Acetone mix  seemed to work best:
https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200247

Edited to add: the author of the test stated that it was actually power steering fluid, not ATF.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 8:07:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Dude is annoying af.
View Quote
I like his videos. But that one was kinda meh.

ETA: they all seem the same to me.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 8:08:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Mix ATF and acetone, 50:50. Superior to anything else I've tried.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 8:10:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Here's the thread from Garage Journal's forum showing a test of the various penetrants. The 50:50 ATF-Acetone mix seemed to work best:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ATF and Acetone.
Here's the thread from Garage Journal's forum showing a test of the various penetrants. The 50:50 ATF-Acetone mix seemed to work best:
Yep. Used this @ the junkyard. A few squirts, wait a couple minutes, and it comes right off.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 8:10:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I was going to leave this thread til I read your post.... I had to watch it and your exactly right .....I made it 48 seconds....
View Quote
Same boat. I cant stand him either
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#43]
I can't think of one time any of them have worked for me and most of them stink

Hype
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 8:12:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Kano Kroil is my go to penetrant.
I also use it in conjunction with JB Bore Bright and VFG Bore Pellets.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 8:14:37 PM EDT
[#45]
I used Kroil at work. It is not bad.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 8:14:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
ATF and Acetone.
View Quote
Yep. It is also the best for loosening up a stuck piston in a cylinder. Fill it up and let it sit for a few days. If that doesn't work then set it on fire and let it burn for a day. I have broke loose a lot of old engines that way.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 8:17:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Dude is annoying af.
View Quote
Watched the whole thing but it was painful...that was probably the most annoying guy I have ever heard on a vid!!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 8:18:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Kroil fucking rocks.  We used it by the five gallon pail.  It helps if you hose down the part in question, then let it sit overnight.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 8:22:47 PM EDT
[#49]
I had a bike seat post completely frozen one time. Im not kidding, it was STUCK.

Put the head of it in a vice and tried used the frame as leverage to get it out.

The only thing that seemed to do the job was kroil. Pb for 4 days nothing. After 2 days the kroil broke it free.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 8:25:34 PM EDT
[#50]
https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/specialty/bg-in-force/
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top