Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:48:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
We have about 100 people where I work.  There are at least 5 who have said they're retiring "in 6 months" for years.  Work is all they have. No wife, no kids, nothing.

How the hell do people hit this point?
View Quote

Not sure but it sounds like me. If I live long enough to retire I probably will not just because I would be bored to hell.

It's not always single people with no kids. One of my part-time co-workers turned 83 last month and still works several hours a day for five days a week. He has a wife and 3 grown kids, plus grandchildren, but he says working keeps him going. And he is not doing for the money.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:50:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I go in on my days off, cuz if I don’t I’d just spend the day drinking and playing video games. I go in early and leave late. I pick up every shift I can and am the hardest working, most flexible, most tireless worker they have.

Every gun I sell is one more potentially pointed at my enemies. This is my revenge for what was done to me and my family.
View Quote

WTF?
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yeah....

The one guy says at least if he dies at work someone will find him.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most people are smart enough to realize that if they don't have a plan, sitting in a rocking chair waiting to die is not a good one.

Yeah....

The one guy says at least if he dies at work someone will find him.
That is my biggest fear. I know no one, and if I suddenly died, again, it would be a long time before someone found me, because all my bills just get paid and there is enough for 10 years or more.  My dogs would have to end up eating me, and I dont want my lil pups to have to deal with that.

Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:54:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I am one of them, though I increasingly prioritize my own work (soon a proper side business) over "work-work".

I'm keeping busy until I can die. And I keep plenty busy.

ETA - I don't really have a reason to live, rather I just have reasons to not die yet.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:56:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

WTF?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I go in on my days off, cuz if I don’t I’d just spend the day drinking and playing video games. I go in early and leave late. I pick up every shift I can and am the hardest working, most flexible, most tireless worker they have.

Every gun I sell is one more potentially pointed at my enemies. This is my revenge for what was done to me and my family.

WTF?

My father, brother, and I all lost decade long careers that we loved due to liberal vermin.

People owning guns pisses liberals off. I try to sell as manny guns as possible so more real people can maybe resist the leftist lice someday.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:00:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe it's just life's circumstances. For example, my Grandma outlived all her siblings.

I know a guy in my office who never worked from home during covid. He liked coming into the office, and he liked seeing people in the office.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:06:18 PM EDT
[#7]
They should start prepping.  If things go bad, you never know... They might end up with someone special!

Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:07:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I know a guy in my office who never worked from home during covid. He liked coming into the office, and he liked seeing people in the office.
View Quote

I would have honestly suffered a mental break or something if I had not had been able to go into the office and see people regularly when things were locked down.

I may not have a compelling reason to live but that doesn't mean I'm antisocial or don't like people - far from it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:11:00 PM EDT
[#9]
By the time my kids are out of the house, work will probably be a higher priority, not like the wife likes spending time with me.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:13:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I think those "work till I die" types must be a little dull and or simple.  I would NEVER run out of things to do in retirement.  Too many hobbies.  Too many toys.  Too many places to go.  Problem is, I'll probably be stuck working till death anyway the way things are going.

ETA I HATE work.  Feels like being in jail.  Yes, I'm speaking from experience.
View Quote

I’ve watched it with my parents.

The problem is that if you retire at 60-65 you are too old to do the cool stuff you enjoy.

Body doesn’t recover the same way it does when you’re young.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:18:27 PM EDT
[#11]
That's sad.

I found life more fulfilling after I retired.  Attended a fun school and became a tradesman.  Now into researching & writing with a minor international reputation (books sold worldwide).
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:20:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I am trying to pay off my truck this year.  
I'll slow down a little after that.  

Not having a wife and kids is amazing.
It's just me and my JRT Bruce.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:54:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Recently encountered a woman who seemed concerned with boredom and lack of social interaction or things to do upon her upcoming retirement.
Some people really love their work too.

Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:58:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Most people are smart enough to realize that if they don't have a plan, sitting in a rocking chair waiting to die is not a good one.
View Quote

Yep. Not long before my FIL died, he looked at me as serious as he ever did and told me: "Whatever you do, never let them retire you. Do something until you drop dead."

I found that strange coming from him. The man had always thoroughly savored his leisure time.

I guess it's a combo of several factors. The old: "You stop, you die" thing I've heard old people say my whole life. That and something my father told me as a kid: "Everybody needs a purpose to feel well about themselves." I guess retirees often lose real purpose.

Your contemporaries die off or become invalids, too. Less folks to actually spend time with while retired. Unless you have or a spouse, children or close friends that care about you, you become less valued in the world.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:06:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Interesting article on William Shatner that's germane to this thread. 91 and still truckin'.

William Shatner rose to fame in his role as Captain James T. Kirk on the TV series Star Trek in the 1960s.

Now, more than half a century later, the 91-year-old actor has become the embodiment of the legendary phrase, "live long and prosper."

His career as an actor, director, singer, and author spans seven decades, and includes a Golden Globe and two Emmy Awards.

He has written 30 books, recorded 8 albums, performed on Broadway, and has participated in more than 250 television shows, movies, and plays.

In recent years, his personal life has taken center stage.

Shatner is a well-respected breeder of world champion horses, and at age 89, he rode one of his horses to an amateur World Champion title.

At 90, Shatner became the oldest person ever to fly into space, traveling as a passenger on Jeff Bezos' spaceship, Blue Origin.

Now, at 91 years old, he maintains a zest for life and sh arp wit that has left many people asking, what's his secret?

Shatner's Longevity Secrets
William Shatner has a signature sense of humor that has become as synonymous with his name as Captain Kirk.

So, when asked his secret to a good, long life, it's hardly surprising that Shatner offered these words of wisdom:

"Don't die. That it; that's the secret," he said in his book, Live Long And…. "Simply keep living and try not to slow down."

But a closer look at his life reveals that Shatner implements many key life-extending practices shared by the world's longest-living "Blue Zone" communities. This includes lifestyle habits like living with purpose, getting lots of natural movement, eating a more plant-based diet, and prioritizing family.

Most recently, he received a stem cell treatment designed to systemically deliver restorative factors throughout his body.

Shatner's therapy involved intravenous infusion of stem cells manufactured in Southern California.

Stem cell treatment has not been approved by the FDA for the treatment of any specific disease. Ongoing research has focused on treating immune disorders, metabolic diseases, neurological impairments, aging, and more.

When Shatner announced his stem cell treatment on the popular social media platform, Twitter, he said, "Is it possible to turn back the clock? I will let you know."

On November 21, 2022, an announcement was made by the California Institute of Regenerative Medicine that $8 million additional dollars were allocated to conduct more human stem cell research initiatives.

Living Your Passion
William Shatner throwing a baseball game's first pitch
Not long after receiving the stem cell therapy, Shatner became the oldest person to travel into space.

This 10-minute, 17-second journey changed his perspective on life.

"I was so thoroughly unprepared for this experience. It was among the strongest feelings of grief I have ever encountered," said Shatner in his new book Boldly Go.

"Going into space made me so aware of how fragile our lives are here on Earth, how we need each other, and need to continue to strengthen bonds that connect us to each other. Because out there, there is no life. There is no us."

The journey was also physically demanding.

Traveling at more than 2,000 MPH, passengers experience 5.5 Gs of force—which feels like five times their body weight pressing on their chests, making it difficult to breathe or move.

Passengers must also be able to pass a fitness test prior to the flight, which consists of climbing seven flights of stairs in a minute and a half.

How has Shatner remained robust enough to endure such intense physical strain? He would likely say it's by riding his beloved horses.

-more at link-
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:06:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I think those "work till I die" types must be a little dull and or simple.  I would NEVER run out of things to do in retirement.  Too many hobbies.  Too many toys.  Too many places to go.  Problem is, I'll probably be stuck working till death anyway the way things are going.

View Quote

You sound like me. Divorce ensured I'll likely work until i stroke out, but right now i can't wait until it's warm enough on the coast to push pole my skiff through some sea grass...Here, Speck-specky"

Might trailer up the ATV for a ride tomorrow. It's been too long.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:57:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, anytime I hear anybody say they’re still working because they need something to keep them busy, all I really hear is that they’re kind of boring with zero hobbies. Or, that they screwed up their financial planning for retirement but won’t admit it. If you are financially solid in retirement, pick literally any hobby and do the shit out of it. Or have a bunch of hobbies and finally have time to keep up with all of them. It’s not that hard.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 2:35:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I get needing to be productive.  Make something at home, start a business, make stuff for friends and family.  Fuck working for someone else if you don't need to.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 2:42:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yeah, anytime I hear anybody say they’re still working because they need something to keep them busy, all I really hear is that they’re kind of boring with zero hobbies. Or, that they screwed up their financial planning for retirement but won’t admit it. If you are financially solid in retirement, pick literally any hobby and do the shit out of it. Or have a bunch of hobbies and finally have time to keep up with all of them. It’s not that hard.
View Quote

Eventually hobbies are like work.  It's just about producing a product.  

Now I'll admit through a series of bad choices I'm going to have to work
straight through.  I will say though that I enjoy coming to work, and I like what I'm doing.
I feel like I'm making a difference in peoples lives and society.  

I'm making more money than I ever have in my life, and if I go to my grave come January of next
year, I will leave this world completely debt free.  

If I live through 1/24 I'll back off a little bit and enjoy 40 hour weeks again.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 2:45:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Be nice to those folks.
They might pass you up when they show up on their off day and “have to get it on”
View Quote

Haha good call
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 2:52:22 PM EDT
[#21]
the question is, why do you care? life changes for everyone. kids grow up, divorce happens people die, lots of reasons to stay working besides having nothing else to do
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#22]
We used to talk about that at work.

More to the point of the people who retired and then died within a year of one thing or another.

We wondered if the problem was there wasn't anything in their life but work and when the retired they had nothing to keep doing that interested them.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 3:05:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Lots of them like this.  Once they finally retire, they are dead in six months.
View Quote

The Old operator curse
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 3:06:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Cancer put me there.  

I’m planning to retire at 55 thanks to a pension, but right now I have no one to share it with.  Not sure what I’m going to do.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 3:08:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Two sayings I saw somewhere and saved

You are totally replaceable at work. You're not replaceable at home. Home is your real life. Keep that perspective. Always.

You are killing yourself for a job that would replace you within a week if you dropped dead. Take Care Of Yourself!

People who are consumed with their job should have spent more time thinking about what they are working for. I've had work till I die coworkers, for the most part they were well off, they just never developed a life outside of work. The irony is they hated their job, most of us did, it was in a healthcare field and changed from what it was in the beginning to something stressful and life sucking.

View Quote

My soon to be ex forgot the first one
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 3:08:11 PM EDT
[#26]
I used to work with a lady that would imply she was better than everyone because she was the only person that lived to work and the rest of the company was just working to live. She never realized what it sounded like when she said it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
the question is, why do you care? life changes for everyone. kids grow up, divorce happens people die, lots of reasons to stay working besides having nothing else to do
View Quote

I made a choice in 2020 that I had to make a change,
and a big one.  I did.  I cashed out my retirement, but it got me debt
free.  I watched my mom die from dementia/alzhiemers and know that
it's in my future.  If I get a wif of it, I'll make it so nobody has to worry about that.  

Until then, I'm going to live modestly have a reasonable savings and be a filthy renter.

I may go up to Montana next.  I like having options.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#28]
The best boss I ever had (Charlie Yassi) was in the Civil Service.  After WWII he asked for a European out, was discharged and went to work for the Army Contracting Command (different name back then) the same day.  In 2006 he was the Senior DA Civilian in Europe.  He was at work at 06:00 every day and left around 18:00 every evening. In rough terms, under the old civil service retirement system you got 50% at 20 years, 100% at 40 years and 150% at 60 years.  He literally lost money every day that he came to work.

His wife had died 20 years before, his estranged son lived in CONUS, he had no outside interest.  We knew what would happen when he finally retired in 2007, he died within one month.

Charlie tried to enlist in WWI but was 4F because he was missing the 1st and 2nd joints on the fingers of his right hand.  Later the recruiter called him up and said they had reevaluated his case.  Since his right trigger finger was whole, he could join.  He did, was rushed thru basic, sent to England and was in the second wave over Omaha Beach on D Day. His unit linked up with the Russians at the Elba(?) river.

In 2006 he was still sharp as a tack and drove a twin turbo Stealth on the Autobahn every day.

He was both inspirational and sad.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 3:17:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I get needing to be productive.  Make something at home, start a business, make stuff for friends and family.  Fuck working for someone else if you don't need to.
View Quote

I enjoy my job because I get to fix big complex problems that I would never be able to find in “normal” life. That work is interesting and fulfilling. I’m in my 30s and well above the curve for retirement savings. If it gets old, I’ll do something else but otherwise right now it makes me content.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 3:22:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I enjoy my job because I get to fix big complex problems that I would never be able to find in “normal” life. That work is interesting and fulfilling. I’m in my 30s and well above the curve for retirement savings. If it gets old, I’ll do something else but otherwise right now it makes me content.
View Quote

This.

I'm about there :)  At least in job description.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 3:39:07 PM EDT
[#31]
All I see here is shit ton of people that have chosen jobs they don’t particularly enjoy.

I did whatever need to get done. Period.
I enjoyed dam near every minute.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 3:40:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Other than my kid, all I have to look forward to is my job.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 3:40:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because I genuinely feel bad for those people. Some I straight pity. Others I wonder where they have the hookers buried.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 6:54:36 PM EDT
[#34]
I fit that profile but for different reasons.

Wife and I have been married forever and while I love her the thought of being around her 24/7/365 scares me. I will have to take up golfing again when I retire.

We like to spend money. While we both max out our 401k, it will be difficult to not have the double income we have now.

I like my job. Little closer to retirement I may not take it quite so serious, but do like the people that work for me.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 6:59:38 PM EDT
[#35]
I knew a guy at the range kinda like that. He retired and went everyday. He smoke like a chimney probably 2 packs a day and smelled like an ash tray. Got lung cancer and beat it. Then he was riding his motorcycle crashed and died. All his guns went to RIA for auction amd the $2 mil in guns and property were divided by 4 charities He left in his will.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 7:08:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 8:00:57 PM EDT
[#37]
I retired after covid at 51 and haven't been bored a second.  Even thought about working more, but it would just be an ego thing, or to buy things I don't need.

The big eye opener for me was that I am now solely responsible for my own happiness.   No work to blame, no one else to blame.

Took my 6 months just to get de-institutionalized.

Link Posted: 2/12/2023 11:22:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Will be 3 years end of March that I retired and glad I did.  I worked with people that had no hobbies and worked every hour they could, said if the stayed home would stare at the ceiling and walls

My wife has a niece, beautiful lady, 37 years old,  works for a fortune 500 company and all she does is work, works when she gets home, up at 2 am gets on her computer, no man in her life.  I feel very sorry for her.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top