Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/24/2019 10:21:48 PM EDT
-

[tweet]http://twitter.com/cdrsalamander/status/1209631766358704129?s=21[/tweet]https://twitter.com/cdrsalamander/status/1209631766358704129?s=21

In his first official statement as the head of the Space Force, Gen. Jay Raymond noted that the culture of service is one of the most critical pieces of the DOD’s newest puzzle. To this endeavor, the Space Force will need to incur a fiercely independent identity and draw a clear line in the sand where the Air Force ends and the Space Force begins.
To ensure this happens, the president and Congress must direct the Space Force to adopt the naval officer rank structure immediately. Here is why:
Since the Space Corps will still be a facet of the Department of the Air Force and is born from current Air Force professionals (many of whom had nothing to do with the adoption of a new and separate force), it is possible (maybe even likely) that they will continue business as usual. Mandating naval ranks will spur the development of a new manner of thinking. The culture shock of a completely new rank amongst the service’s highest tenured will have a trickle-down effect, starting the USSF off on the right foot.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 10:24:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Navy rank is dumb and you should feel dumb
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 10:26:59 PM EDT
[#2]
As a former jarhead, IDGAF.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 10:30:06 PM EDT
[#3]
So, basically Klingon Assault Group ranks?
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 10:30:39 PM EDT
[#4]
The only rank that is a must, Second Lieutenant=Space Cadet.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 10:32:29 PM EDT
[#5]
People have a complete misunderstanding of what the Space Force does if they think this is necessary.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 10:37:26 PM EDT
[#6]
FPNI; Petition should be for the USN to adopt the other services rank structure.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 10:45:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 10:47:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Space Shuttle Door Gunner's Machinist's Mate 2nd Class (Promotable)
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 10:52:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I think I agree.

A true space force will be a large complex ship not a single seat fighter or small crew bomber. A naval structure is much better suited for that environment.

That said I honestly think the Navy should have been the lead on space force not the air force.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 10:55:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I've always wanted to hear them say, ""Now go to your stations all the special space detail- that is, " Now go to your stations all the special space detail - all hands to quarters for getting underway." on Star Trek.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 10:56:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think I agree.

A true space force will be a large complex ship not a single seat fighter or small crew bomber. A naval structure is much better suited for that environment.

That said I honestly think the Navy should have been the lead on space force not the air force.
View Quote
What about the rank structure needed for dudes sitting in offices and control centers monitoring satellites and shit? Cause that's what they're actually going to be doing.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 10:57:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Of all the things I don’t give a fuck about, I don’t give a fuck about this the most.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:00:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What about the rank structure needed for dudes sitting in offices and control centers monitoring satellites and shit? Cause that's what they're actually going to be doing.
View Quote
No arguement there... For the short to mid term I think you are exactly right. But at some point we will send honest to god ships to the other planets and get off this rock in some fashion. Start the way you intend to end. Naval rank and structure seems to be the logical approach.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:02:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
FPNI; Petition should be for the USN to adopt the other services rank structure.
View Quote
No shit. Navy rank structure is some nonsensical shit.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:03:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Put the word Space in front of all the ranks.  Space Admiral.  Spaceyman. Space MasterChef.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:06:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Would you rather have a General or an Admiral in charge of your space fleet.

I think the naval rank is appropriate.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:08:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

But at some point we will send honest to god ships to the other planets and get off this rock in some fashion.
View Quote
LOL, you're delusional. If we ever get the technology to do that nailed down (doubtful), we'd use it to destroy ourselves with it first.

Besides, do you think we really need to be exporting the human race to other planets?
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:09:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
People have a complete misunderstanding of what the Space Force does if they think this is necessary.
View Quote
Spaceship door gunners rather than space shuttle door gunners.

It is to the Airforce as the Navy is to the Coast Guard

We are going to need emoticons and badges too.

Who will be the first on Arfcom to have a Space Force badge
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:10:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Imperial rank structure makes the most sense
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:10:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Navy rank and rank traditions are foolish.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:13:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Shut up, Wesley!
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:14:56 PM EDT
[#22]
It's not queer if you're out of the atmosphere?
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:15:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yup.

Naval rank/insignia is pants-on-head ‘tarded
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:15:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not trying to have a Filipino space force.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:16:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

LOL, you're delusional. If we ever get the technology to do that nailed down (doubtful), we'd use it to destroy ourselves with it first.

Besides, do you think we really need to be exporting the human race to other planets?
View Quote
If we were going to destroy ourselves we would have all died during the cold war. And yes it's time to export to the other rocks and ensure the survival of the human race. 200 years from now I expect to be proven right. Sadly I won't be around to blow you a raspberry.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:17:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.

Also, there should be a petition to reduce the number of flag officers to 25% of their current numbers, for starters.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:22:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I think I agree.

View Quote
Maybe in 500 years there will be a large complex military ship that is crewed by people.

Until then it's unmanned probes and satellites.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:23:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Idgaf about rank structure.  Just iron out the details, then I'll transfer over to an orbital artillery unit
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:23:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes.

For the same general reasons people were arguing for exporting people from Europe to the 'New World', a few centuries ago.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:23:56 PM EDT
[#30]
No.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:27:29 PM EDT
[#31]
They must use gender neutral ranks, i.e. no airman, seaman ranks. Admiral, captain and commander are also problematic as they evoke the patriarchy.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:28:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I think I agree.

View Quote
Navy ranks sound dumb though.

Ensign. Rear ensign. Admiral. Rear Admiral.
Who's pitcher who's catcher?
Petty Officer. Are they fickle?

Space Force needs new ranks. Absolutely ridiculous sounding in nature.
E1-Space Cadet. That's a given. For the LOLs.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:28:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep the only constitutional standing fighting force is dumb

Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:29:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If we were going to destroy ourselves we would have all died during the cold war. And yes it's time to export to the other rocks and ensure the survival of the human race. 200 years from now I expect to be proven right. Sadly I won't be around to blow you a raspberry.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The human race does NOT need to export itself. All I see in our future is extinction, and with good reason.

IF we ever get off this planet, it will not be beyond this solar system, and it will be the result of egotistical and short-lived experiments that serve to prove our technological incapacity.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:30:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yes.

For the same general reasons people were arguing for exporting people from Europe to the 'New World', a few centuries ago.
View Quote
That's not a good argument. Look what we've made of the "New World".
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:36:25 PM EDT
[#36]
why not? they’re the branch of military service that has the most experience placing a bunch of human beings inside of metal vessels for long periods of time.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:37:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
why not? they’re the branch of military service that has the most experience placing a bunch of human beings inside of metal vessels for long periods of time.
View Quote
How completely useless.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:38:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think I agree.

When I was Army, my signature block was was something like:

SGT GovtThug
1/502nd INF
FTCKY
DSN 867-5309

Navy was like:

P@-2 Marinegirlfriend
Somefuckingship
DSN GoodLuckGettingInContactWithMe

What the fuck is a P@-2? It's not on any rank equivalency chart. Is that your MOS? What the fuck is that?
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:40:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:41:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
The Space Force isn't Star Trek.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:43:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:49:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, because when the AF is so f-ed up by cheating scandals and such with in their nuclear forces, who was brought in to fix them?  Oh, those stupid navy guys.....
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:55:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No shit.  So many people seem to think that the only thing holding us back from deploying Star Destroyers is that we didn't have a branch for them.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:57:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Every rank, rating, and piece of equipment needs to have the word "Space" in front of it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:59:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

SGT GovtThug
1/502nd INF
FTCKY
DSN 867-5309

Navy was like:

P@-2 Marinegirlfriend
Somefuckingship

What the fuck is a P@-2? It's not on any rank equivalency chart. Is that your MOS? What the fuck is that?
View Quote
Yes.  You have to know the guy's job to actually call him the correct title.

The Air Force we are just about as easy as it gets:
- E1-E4: Airman
- E5-E8: Sergeant
- E9: Chief
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 12:00:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Every rank, rating, and piece of equipment needs to have the word "Space" in front of it.
View Quote
So you have your space DD214?
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 12:00:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

SGT GovtThug
1/502nd INF
FTCKY
DSN 867-5309

Navy was like:

P@-2 Marinegirlfriend
Somefuckingship

View Quote
We get it, it's Christmas you hate life and nobody loves you so the entire human race deserves to die.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 12:03:03 AM EDT
[#48]
The Navy currently has fuckall to do with Space Force.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 12:03:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Navy ranks structure is just fine.

V/R,
IT1(SW) Maccrage
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 12:03:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ditto. Navy rank is all wet! The Air Force had no problems with carrying over the Army rank structure and Space Force will have no problem  either.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top