User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 5:00:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Surprised at all the hate towards one of only 3 recording artists to have sold more then 100 million albums (solo and as lead singer of a group), the other two being Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson.

Paul McCartney sucks too.

I don't like his music

I don't like him as a person.

He is a schmuck of the highest order and a lame 3chord formula musician who plays to people high on geritol lusting after their days watching him shake his hair on the Ed Sullivan show 50 years ago.

I gotta go with this.

Jackson was a strange pedophile with lots of money to indulge in his boy-rape fantasies.  His family is a long list of dirtbags and hanger-ons.

Link Posted: 3/30/2013 5:14:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 5:29:22 PM EDT
[#3]
For the non-haters.  $1.99 greatest hits download on Amazon.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Seen Genesis in Ohio Stadium back in 92, great show.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 5:51:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I like quite a bit of his work.  Sad about his hearing loss.

Link Posted: 3/30/2013 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#6]
nm.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 5:58:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I listened to an episode of "This American Life" a couple of years ago where a young woman realized that all of Phil Collins songs are basically breakup songs.  Being that she had just broken up with her boyfriend, she needed to write a breakup song of her own.

Being a fan, and in radio, she found a way to contact him for advice.  So she got him on the phone and talked with him, all of this on tape and played on the program.  From that advice, she wrote the lyrics, found a couple of musicians, and she recorded this single.  It wasn't bad at all.  Had some good lines, and a good presentation. She calls Phil Collins again and plays it for him and he gave some insight and encouragement to her.

What struck me about all this is how gentlemanly Phil Collins behaved with this.  Stranger calls.  He takes the call, he behaves as a total non-douche, gives her some legitimate assistance, and to my ear, came off as a complete class act.

So, even with all the fame and money, he's just a good bloke.

I wish him well in his retirement.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 6:00:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Phil is wrong about one thing. People will miss him. At least the people who actually have good taste in music and an appreciation for actual talent anyway. Phil Collins has more talent in his pinky finger than many of today's "stars" have in their entire body.

Absolutely.

Agreed.  A true musician as opposed to the 'faces' we have forced upon us these days.

Link Posted: 3/30/2013 6:14:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

He certainly seems like a man of some depth.

He's developed a passion for Texas history associated with the Alamo - Has a collection of memorabilia, and recently wrote a book about it.

Link Posted: 3/30/2013 6:30:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I listened to an episode of "This American Life" a couple of years ago where a young woman realized that all of Phil Collins songs are basically breakup songs.  Being that she had just broken up with her boyfriend, she needed to write a breakup song of her own.

Being a fan, and in radio, she found a way to contact him for advice.  So she got him on the phone and talked with him, all of this on tape and played on the program.  From that advice, she wrote the lyrics, found a couple of musicians, and she recorded this single.  It wasn't bad at all.  Had some good lines, and a good presentation. She calls Phil Collins again and plays it for him and he gave some insight and encouragement to her.

What struck me about all this is how gentlemanly Phil Collins behaved with this.  Stranger calls.  He takes the call, he behaves as a total non-douche, gives her some legitimate assistance, and to my ear, came off as a complete class act.

I wish him well in his retirement.

Phil is also a scholar.

He co-authored a book about the Alamo, and is a respected authority on the Alamo and the Texan Republic.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Seen Genesis in Ohio Stadium back in 92, great show.

I was there. Sophmore year.  I worked "security". Got paid $30 to go to the show.

Did you see Floyd the next year?

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top