Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/30/2022 1:57:19 PM EDT
https://www.azfamily.com/2022/09/30/phoenix-man-burned-after-group-loads-grocery-bags-gasoline-into-car-causing-fire/

PHOENIX (3TV/CBS 5) -- Police say a Phoenix man is in the hospital with serious burns after a group of men filled grocery bags with gasoline and loaded them into a car, leading to a fire on Thursday morning. Phoenix police say a vehicle was engulfed in flames near 35th Avenue and Ocotillo Road shortly after 8 a.m. Police arrived and found a man in his 40s burned near the car and rushed him to the hospital.

Officers talked to another man at the scene, who said the car was his own. He reportedly told police his vehicle was stolen by a man who burned him with an “unknown object” before stealing his car. The man’s friend allegedly witnessed the robbery and drove to follow the stolen car. The man told police he followed them while walking and found his car on fire, along with his friend who’d been badly burned.
TRENDING: Preliminary autopsy shows man was shot in the neck after throwing rocks at Phoenix officers

However, police soon found out the man’s story wasn’t adding up. Witnesses at the scene reportedly told police a third man was involved, but he didn’t match the suspect’s description. Police confronted the man, who confessed to making up the elaborate story with his friends.

Police later found out the victim had asked his two friends to get gasoline since one of their cars was empty. The men filled several plastic grocery bags with gasoline before loading them into their car. They then picked up the victim and drove where the second vehicle was parked. However, before they arrived, the bags of gasoline ignited with the three men inside the car, causing the vehicle to erupt in flames.

The victim is in extremely critical condition, while another man had minor burns. No one has been arrested. The investigation is ongoing.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:01:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, that seems like a self-correcting problem, doesnt it?
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:04:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds retarded.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:05:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd like to know how the gasoline ignited.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:05:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:06:21 PM EDT
[#5]
He's still in the running for a crispy Darwin award...
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:07:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I love stories like this.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:07:31 PM EDT
[#7]
it's shit like this that gives the west side a bad name
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:08:10 PM EDT
[#8]
LOL I thought the bags of gas thing was just staged to make a Florida Man (TM) meme during hurricane season.

Surely, I thought, no one can actually be that stupid. I guess I was wrong.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#9]
"Dear Mr. Darwin..."
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:09:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Darwin didn't get any of them??  Damn.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:09:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:10:37 PM EDT
[#12]
What’s it gonna cost us to print a new warning label on plastic bags from here forward?
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:11:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
https://www.azfamily.com/2022/09/30/phoenix-man-burned-after-group-loads-grocery-bags-gasoline-into-car-causing-fire/

PHOENIX (3TV/CBS 5) -- Police say a Phoenix man is in the hospital with serious burns after a group of men filled grocery bags with gasoline and loaded them into a car, leading to a fire on Thursday morning. Phoenix police say a vehicle was engulfed in flames near 35th Avenue and Ocotillo Road shortly after 8 a.m. Police arrived and found a man in his 40s burned near the car and rushed him to the hospital.

Officers talked to another man at the scene, who said the car was his own. He reportedly told police his vehicle was stolen by a man who burned him with an “unknown object” before stealing his car. The man’s friend allegedly witnessed the robbery and drove to follow the stolen car. The man told police he followed them while walking and found his car on fire, along with his friend who’d been badly burned.
TRENDING: Preliminary autopsy shows man was shot in the neck after throwing rocks at Phoenix officers

However, police soon found out the man’s story wasn’t adding up. Witnesses at the scene reportedly told police a third man was involved, but he didn’t match the suspect’s description. Police confronted the man, who confessed to making up the elaborate story with his friends.

Police later found out the victim had asked his two friends to get gasoline since one of their cars was empty. The men filled several plastic grocery bags with gasoline before loading them into their car. They then picked up the victim and drove where the second vehicle was parked. However, before they arrived, the bags of gasoline ignited with the three men inside the car, causing the vehicle to erupt in flames.

The victim is in extremely critical condition, while another man had minor burns. No one has been arrested. The investigation is ongoing.
View Quote
View Quote

Sounds like Florida man narrowly escaped the hurricane.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:12:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"Dear Mr. Darwin..."
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:13:33 PM EDT
[#15]
There is mildly stupid.

There is normal stupid.

There is extremely stupid...

And then there is this, which is off the stupid scale. Words cannot express... After hearing this story, most people with Downs Syndrome would say, "those people are real dumb." Kamala Harris would cackle at the idiocy, while secretly being thankful that she is not actually the dumbest person on the planet. Joe Biden would look around aimlessly and possibly wander off to find a young girl to grope, but Biden is not longer a sentient lifeform, so he doesn't count.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:16:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Phoenix man giving Florida man a run for his money!
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:16:58 PM EDT
[#17]
That sounds like something they would do in Meh hee co.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:17:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I got distracted by Fourays2's picture! What are we talking about again?

@Fourays2

ETA- After the previous rant thread that was locked, I'm confused now- can we put @midcap or is that a no-go?
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:18:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Was this one of them tic toc challenges?
LoL
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:21:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I have done some stupid things in my life but never that stupid.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:22:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I love stories like this.
View Quote

I don't.  Sometimes these stories involve innocent bystanders.

Stupid people are all around us.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:23:26 PM EDT
[#22]
What could go wrong?
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:24:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well, that seems like a self-correcting problem, doesnt it?
View Quote

I don't this one required a hospital trip.  Let nature work this out.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:25:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:26:29 PM EDT
[#25]
They are definitely lacking good ol' common sense.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:26:43 PM EDT
[#26]
These individuals have obviously never sat through a fire behavior class.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I don't trust those bags with groceries.
View Quote

LMAO, seriously.  Of all the containers out there.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:27:51 PM EDT
[#28]
So now we have to add "Not for transportation of gasoline" to be printed on the bags.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:28:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:28:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What’s it gonna cost us to print a new warning label on plastic bags from here forward?
View Quote

1. Put gas in bag.
2. Get crispy.
3. Sue.
4. Profit!
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:29:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was out there for work a lot a couple years back.  I pulled up to a stop light and a cop pulled up to my left.  To my right, a guy pulled up on a 4 wheeler who was missing an arm and had a katana strapped to the quad.  He drove on and the cop didn't do anything, so I guess that's normal out there.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:30:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Maybe he was trying to be literal Phoenix Man.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:32:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

No way was a menthol cigarette was involved.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:33:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I was out there for work a lot a couple years back.  I pulled up to a stop light and a cop pulled up to my left.  To my right, a guy pulled up on a 4 wheeler who was missing an arm and had a katana strapped to the quad.  He drove on and the cop didn't do anything, so I guess that's normal out there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah 4 wheelers are street legal here, just need to get it plated
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:36:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lighting up....or static spark.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:39:06 PM EDT
[#36]
People in Oregon and NJ right now are like "See, SEEEEE, THIS IS WHY!!!!!!!!!!"
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:43:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Recent immigrants from Africa? Seems like a regular thing over there for people to steal gas from pipelines and get literally burned in the process.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:45:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Puff, puff, pass?
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:51:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:55:39 PM EDT
[#40]
That's why I always double bag.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:58:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 3:00:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Lol, thats a few miles from where I live. Definitely hood.

Agree, let it self correct.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 3:01:11 PM EDT
[#43]
I wonder if anyone has verified if we are talking about plastic grocery bags.

Seems like a big assumption these days.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 3:02:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't worry, Mesa is going to top that real soon...
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 3:03:19 PM EDT
[#45]
I wonder if they stole the gas. Drilled a tank and caught it with bags?  They guy made up a story for a reason I guess
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 3:05:29 PM EDT
[#46]
What grocery store bags can not only hold fluid but also hold more than 5lbs?
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I wonder if they stole the gas. Drilled a tank and caught it with bags?  They guy made up a story for a reason I guess
View Quote

Could be they realized how stupid putting gas in bags was and were embarrassed so they made up the stolen car story to save face?
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#48]
It's not safe to transport gasoline inside the passenger compartment of a vehicle.

They should have used a truck.

The Guy Filling up his Truck bed with Gasoline
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 3:12:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
What grocery store bags can not only hold fluid but also hold more than 5lbs?
View Quote

All of our local stores use heavy duty reusable plastic bags (which also cost $0.05 each). They seem to be well sealed on the bottom, and can hold a surprising amount of weight.

I still wouldn't use them to transport liquids, though, especially flammable liquids...
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 3:13:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
People in Oregon and NJ right now are like "See, SEEEEE, THIS IS WHY!!!!!!!!!!"
View Quote

Not me. I support Darwinism.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top