Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/1/2016 10:35:39 AM EDT
It always amazes me the amount of death and destruction that was the eastern front.

More Photos

I also didn't realize that Spain had managed to field a small division on the Eastern Front against the Russians. Not a huge surprise because of Franco fighting the Soviet backed republicans, but new to me.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 10:36:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks and for later
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 10:41:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Great painting of the Blue Division
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 10:50:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It always amazes me the amount of death and destruction that was the eastern front.

More Photos

http://knowledgeglue.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/05-7P2uR29.png

http://knowledgeglue.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/10-iRewpyY.png

http://knowledgeglue.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/16-UQM3baM.png

http://knowledgeglue.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/31-5Zi2RVH.png

http://knowledgeglue.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/2ZMPGg8.jpg

I also didn't realize that Spain had managed to field a small division on the Eastern Front against the Russians. Not a huge surprise because of Franco fighting the Soviet backed republicans, but new to me.

http://knowledgeglue.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/5OQ4n5v.jpg

View Quote

Hitler backed Franco during their civil war, He really wanted to use Spain to attack England but Spain wanted to stay out if, I would imagine he gave some troops to fight for the Germans as a peace offering.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 10:52:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Tier One

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 10:57:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Notice how he has fragmentation AND anti-tank grenades?

I wonder how many Germans he killed after being finally surrounded and killed in a hail of gunfire, while atop a mass of dead bodies? 100? 200? 1000?
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 10:57:49 AM EDT
[#6]
short color video
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 11:03:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Holy Shit!  That was some amazing video.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 11:07:01 AM EDT
[#8]
TONS of historic and modern excavation pics of weapons, armor, relics and forgotten dead here.

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/The-Ghosts-of-the-Eastern-Front-451074868343353/
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 11:09:34 AM EDT
[#9]

Dual-weilding revolvers potential.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 11:13:49 AM EDT
[#10]

That's one hard mofo
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

That's a studio photograph. The weapons are probably photographer's props. (In the American Civil War, photographers supplied weapons for use in the pictures.) Notice that this guy is shown with two revolvers, one in the holster with the flap open, and the other one thrust casually through the belt. No one would actually carry a load of weapons in this manner.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 11:15:01 AM EDT
[#12]
If anyone is interested Dan Carlin has a three part podcast series on the eastern front in WWII. It's called Ghosts of the Ostfront and it's excellent.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 11:16:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That's a studio photograph. The weapons are probably photographer's props. (In the American Civil War, photographers supplied weapons for use in the pictures.) Notice that this guy is shown with two revolvers, one in the holster with the flap open, and the other one thrust casually through the belt. No one would actually carry a load of weapons in this manner.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

He was likely 1 of 5 assigned to a single rifle.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 11:17:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's one hard mofo
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's one hard mofo

Who dat
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 11:22:33 AM EDT
[#15]
B/c...fuck shaving regs

Awesomeness...

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 11:26:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Watching Band of Brothers now and the Eastern front infantry battles. The Ardnennes offensive was brutal.

The pictures of the West are amazing. Stalin didn't fuck around.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 11:40:14 AM EDT
[#17]

He was more likely a 17-19 year old peasant who had been given rudimentary instruction on how to work a Mosin bolt and charge a PPSh. This picture is just like the US Civil War daguerreotypes of young men posing with 2 revolvers and a big Bowie knife jammed through their belt or hell Facebook pictures of holding a pair of M249s.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:07:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Great photos and video.Looking at the photos,especially of the child dead on the doorstep and the burning villages reminds me once again that you can't blame the Russian soldier for what he did once he reached Germany.The Germans wanted a war of no mercy and that's what they got.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:16:29 PM EDT
[#19]
*EDIT: Goddamn imgur! These photos showed up fine several hours ago. I had to go back and find a different host.

Mostly Waffen SS, mostly Ostfront, with a few random thrown in (color photos, artwork, etc.):

Below photo is supposed to be from Estonia, of course I can't be certain:

Below: Heading out yet again in the inferno that was Stalingrad:

Obviously not Ostfront, but an interesting photo:

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:25:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Great photos and video.Looking at the photos,especially of the child dead on the doorstep and the burning villages reminds me once again that you can't blame the Russian soldier for what he did once he reached Germany.The Germans wanted a war of no mercy and that's what they got.
View Quote

Tell that to the modern Japanese sympathizers who feel we did Japan great injustices.

I had an argument on FB with one.  She refused to look at any history, and only had "but I lived there for a year and got to know a family" to go on.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:30:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Nice video,  I was there but not in this lifetime, but those types of storytelling are for a different thread topic,

Anyone wonder how many of those men didn't see the sunset of the day some of those snippets were filmed, some not not even the end of the week?
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:35:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:37:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Smith & Wesson?

Doesn't look like aNagant. Dude was probably connected to the NKVD.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:40:58 PM EDT
[#24]

Yes,that is the Narva river. The east bank and castle was Estonian before the war but Russia took it as reparations for having to invade in 1940...

Here are a couple pics of mine: the Germans are near the Hermann castle on the left. The Ivangorod castle is Russia with the border being the river of course.

There was a thread about a recent Estonian war movie,1944,a week ago that you may like to see.

I rehosted the pic
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:41:50 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes

Smith & Wesson?

Doesn't look like aNagant. Dude was probably connected to the NKVD.
No, those are 1895 Nagants.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:43:37 PM EDT
[#26]
The Eastern Front has always held my interest.

Modern maneuver war on a massive scale.  

This is a good historical novel if you like this kind of stuff - protagonist is a Blue Division veteran

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:44:37 PM EDT
[#27]
I had distance relatives in the Blue Division. They left Spain and never returned.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:46:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes

I wonder how many Germans he killed after being finally surrounded and killed in a hail of gunfire, while atop a mass of dead bodies? 100? 200? 1000?
Probably killed a few hundred yards from the front by indirect artillery fire if we are going from statistics.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#29]
The eastern front was the real WW2.

Germany was beat by mid 44'.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:55:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

there a lot of photos of guys with all kinds of stuff on, I know in Stalingrad they often carried as much ammo and grenades as they could for close combat. So I don't know if all of them are posed photos as many are taken in the field. Guns and weapons in a belt or sash does go way back.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:57:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Who dat
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's one hard mofo

Who dat

That's Private Pyle-ski.  He's been born-again-hard.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:58:59 PM EDT
[#32]
I try, and fail, to imagine the US Army of WWII taking the amount of casualties the belligerents took on the Eastern front.

It's too depressing to contemplate. Trying to imagine just 1 million combat deaths blows my mind.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:03:13 PM EDT
[#33]
this series of videos shows part of the price paid.  mainly a collection of stills, some of them have video clips mixed in if you watch them all.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:08:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I try, and fail, to imagine the US Army of WWII taking the amount of casualties the belligerents took on the Eastern front.

It's too depressing to contemplate. Trying to imagine just 1 million combat deaths blows my mind.
View Quote

Just as a comparison,about 16 million Americans served in uniform in WWII. Russia ended the war with 14 million soldiers KIA KIA/BNR.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:11:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

What amazes me is the scope of it. The size of the battlefields is hard to comprehend.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:11:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Russian photos, they did not like to publish pictures of their losses, dead Germans sure, but their side smashed not so much. I am sure they did take plenty of photos and video but they do not like to admit just how bad it was. Some of it has been found and shown though, if you watch some of the longer videos.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:11:38 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

You obviously didn't know Yevgeni.  He was tier one before tier one was cool.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Watching Band of Brothers now and the Eastern front infantry battles. The Ardnennes offensive was brutal.

The pictures of the West are amazing. Stalin didn't fuck around.
View Quote
The pics of when the Germans torpedoed Pearl Harbor in 1898 and sunk the carrier Alabama were cool too.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:14:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:15:49 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

https://media.moddb.com/images/members/1/442/441777/darte2.jpg
View Quote

Looks cool, but TERRIBLE dispersion.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:25:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The Eastern Front has always held my interest.

Modern maneuver war on a massive scale.  

This is a good historical novel if you like this kind of stuff - protagonist is a Blue Division veteran

http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320531211l/533239.jpg

View Quote

I sent a copy of this book to another member here.  good book.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:25:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Tell that to the modern Japanese sympathizers who feel we did Japan great injustices.

I had an argument on FB with one.  She refused to look at any history, and only had "but I lived there for a year and got to know a family" to go on.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My father in law was sitting on a destroyer in the Pacific when the war ended,you'll never convince him Harry Truman wasn't one of our greatest Presidents.Anybody that's a Japanese sympathizer/apologist needs to be reminded of the Rape of Nanking or Unit 731.Just like the Germans the Japanese wanted a Racial War of no mercy,well they got it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:29:27 PM EDT
[#43]
That looks like an AK.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:33:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Remember the constant threat on "Hogan's Heroes" was to be sent to the Russian front.

If you can, read "The Forgotten Soldier." It's incredible what human beings can withstand. If they don't get killed first.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:59:50 PM EDT
[#45]
I wonder how encumbering those German gas mask canisters were to the troops?

Seems it was standard equipment even in the latter part of the war where in most pics, they mostly all still carry them

I don't seem to recall that gas was ever used in WWII even on the Eastern Front. Or was it?
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:21:29 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

https://media.moddb.com/images/members/1/442/441777/darte2.jpg
View Quote

Verdad.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:33:54 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Probably killed a few hundred yards from the front by indirect artillery fire if we are going from statistics.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

kid has one hand
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:44:59 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hollywood. Small arms shortages happened in early parts of '41 as the Red Army was being pushed back and every available person was being pushed into service to fight the Nazi invaders.

By the time the front stabilized in late '41, the Soviet supply system was in order.(mostly)

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

What amazes me is the scope of it. The size of the battlefields is hard to comprehend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There are battles completely forgotten about, that still are way beyond the scope of any battle fought in the west.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 3:12:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

He apparently subscribed to the two is one, and one is none theory for pistols.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top