Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:04:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very well done OP.

You certainly delivered.
View Quote
ya..i was worried to post too much pics but the truth is that i had to made a selection between hundreds of pics and relics. it took me almost 9 hours, basically all my free day, to take pictures, modify them, post them and write the introduction, but i am glad to show something about the seldom-ignored italian front of ww1 to you guys, especially since i saw you were very interested!
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:06:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Well done and thank You. I am envious.
Your command of the English language is very impressive. At least a thousand times better than My non-existent Italian skills!

The Ol' Crew Chief
View Quote
you know,  learning italian it's not very useful unless you plan to live in Italy or if you want to study some branches of art/music/roman history..
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:07:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Excellent post, man. Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:07:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow!  Awesome thread, thanks!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:08:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:09:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:10:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Fascinating. Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:11:37 PM EDT
[#8]
ah....grappa....nectar of the gods

i have a friend who makes it from his second run (aquat) vino
good stuff

mi piacce molto  i

gnocci...con sugo/ragu di pomodoro  (we americans with roots from naples call it gravy)

thanks for all the hard work posting ssimo

molto piacere!
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:11:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the effort, fascinating stuff.

Attacking those machinegun posts looks like it was no fun at all.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:12:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Great stuff OP.

Best post in a long time.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:13:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So at most 12,000 feet.  Until acclimated, the altitude really slows you down.
View Quote
yes, it heavily depends on your acclimatation. for example, first time i went over 4500 meters i was young and not much used to those altitudes and i was pretty slow..last month i went on monte Rosa at 4700 m and it was like at my house in the plains just because i went on monte Gran Paradiso (4080 m) a week earlier! Blood red cells have a lifetime of more or less 4 month: if you go on high mountains at least 6-7 times per year you are not much slowed down up to 4500-5000 m, past that altitude it's no joke and even with the best acclimatation there is a substantial loss of performance! the weight of the backpack is very important too! are you a fellow mountaineer?
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:14:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks OP!

Amazing pictures
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:17:41 PM EDT
[#13]
War in the high places - thank you for posting this. Incredibly interesting.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:18:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks for the effort, fascinating stuff.

Attacking those machinegun posts looks like it was no fun at all.
View Quote
it wasn't. especially if the army commander in chief is a guy called Cadorna. that bastard! he once said: in order to conquer a position you just have to calculate how many enemy machineguns will kill and send more troops. Fortunately this concept wasn't adopted too much as far as battlefield tactics, it was unfortunately adopted as general strategy of the first 3 years of war (see the 12 battles of Isonzo, half won by italians, half won by austrians, but "winning" in this case means losing 30-100k troops and advancing a few kilometers)
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:18:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Fascinating!  Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:22:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Foto impressionanti!
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:32:01 PM EDT
[#18]
@ssimo

You are the kind of member we love to have here.  

LOG OUT AND BACK IN
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:35:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:37:39 PM EDT
[#20]
i read everyhing you linked, i already knew those facts but glad to see there is something translated in english around the web! i read the book named in the 3rd link, i wish it was translated! thank you for the links :)
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:40:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Fascinating. Thank you.
View Quote
Yes!   Thank you!
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:40:56 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote
wow, the picture with cannon ammo with happy eastern wishes is nice!
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:45:40 PM EDT
[#23]
*Nominated for post of the year!!

Awesome! Thanks for sharing these.

Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:49:41 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote
i read the article and unfortunately it's not very accurate..there are so many misconceptions about the italian front, such as:
-allied help: no one knows that even italians helped allies on other front (for example for each french soldier dead on the italian front there were 10 italians dead in france)
-the battle of vittorio veneto is often described as a obvious victory for italians because the austrohungarian empire was collapsing, in reality, the austrian empire was collapsing mostly because the insuccess in the war, mostly against italians on Piave, and the battle of Vittorio Veneto was a furious fight, most of austrian troops defeated after having understood that the battle was lost. I read several books of real historians (not journalists) and that's the truth.
-the fact that italy was pushed toward fascism by humiliation and willing of revenge is true but the problem was the so called "vittoria mutilata": allied didn't concede to italians the territories they promised them at the beginning of the war!
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:50:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:52:07 PM EDT
[#26]
thank you everyone for the appreciation, it's nice to see so much people interested in a very sad but still interesting chapter of our history, the time i spent to make this post was well invested :)
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#27]
I can't imagine fighting up in the mountains like that. Crazy.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:53:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

LOG OUT AND BACK IN
View Quote
thank you :) unfortunately i didn't get what you mean by saying "log out and back in", maybe linguistic barrier
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:55:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I can't imagine fighting up in the mountains like that. Crazy.
View Quote
hiking on those mountains really takes you 100 uears ago, the contrast between the absolute peace and silence of our mountains nowadays and the hell back then is simply amazing. And try to go up there in winter, last year i did it, it's serious stuff, especially at night and if the weather is bad :/
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:56:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
thank you :) unfortunately i didn't get what you mean by saying "log out and back in", maybe linguistic barrier
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOG OUT AND BACK IN
You got it worked out though.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:59:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 5:01:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Awesome thanks for posting!
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 5:05:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Ever read A Soldier Of The Great War by Mark Helprin?  A fine novel with great Alpine battle scenes, and I always wondered how accurate it was.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 5:12:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Today, OP was a pretty cool guy

thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 5:15:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks for the fantastic photos/information. Most people know very little about that portion of the war. My grandfather was on the Western Front.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 5:16:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Thank you for sharing! These were very interesting and informative.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 5:16:33 PM EDT
[#37]
coolest thing i've seen in a long time.  thanks OP!
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Ever read A Soldier Of The Great War by Mark Helprin?  A fine novel with great Alpine battle scenes, and I always wondered how accurate it was.
View Quote
no, i didn't! i heard of it but i am still finishing to read italian and austrian war diaries/memories. I'll read it for sure :) if you want to compare the realism of the scenes with some other testimoniances, i can suggest you some books. i assume you can't read italian but if you could read german, you won't have problems finding a good war diary based on the italian front. just googled "books about italian front ww1", here you go! https://www.google.it/search?q=books+about+italian+front+ww1&rlz=1C1EJFA_enIT720IT720&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi3pcKs2ZXdAhXsz4UKHd8XAh8Q_AUICSgA&biw=1536&bih=759&dpr=1.25
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 5:25:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Fantastic photos OP!
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 5:27:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Nice work OP.  Best thread (at least for me learning) in a month.

I was vaguely aware there were alpine battles between Austria and Italy in WW1, but had never looked into details.  I had a very limited view that the toughest winter fights were the Finns/Russians in the winter war and U.S./China in Korea.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 5:27:40 PM EDT
[#41]
ssimo, if you have a cool picture that you would like made into an avatar just post it here and we make make it into a nice avatar for you.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 5:40:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Very cool
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Nice work OP.  Best thread (at least for me learning) in a month.

I was vaguely aware there were alpine battles between Austria and Italy in WW1, but had never looked into details.  I had a very limited view that the toughest winter fights were the Finns/Russians in the winter war and U.S./China in Korea.
View Quote
glad to have been informative, i suggest you to dig into this matter cause it's very interesting (i'm probably biased by nationality and for being in those mountains since i was 6 years old). if you are interested and if you plan to visit Italy in order to visit Rome, Florence, etc, just do that (roman history is even more interesting) but take a couple days to visit alps: there are very few battlefields so inaccessible and consequently well conservated and, even putting wars aside, the mountains are just great!
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 5:43:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 5:44:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
I read that.  It is a great novel.  I say novel, because I don't know how accurate it is either.

If it can be confirmed to be reasonably accurate, I would consider it to be a very great novel.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 5:44:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
ssimo, if you have a cool picture that you would like made into an avatar just post it here and we make make it into a nice avatar for you.
View Quote
i had already choose this one before reading your post, if you can make it better i absolutely accept the offer ;)
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 5:48:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Very nice! Great job documenting those events. It was extremely interesting and the photo were amazing. Thank you very much for taking the time to share with us.

I will have to take a closer look at those campaigns. It is very interesting point in history.
Thank you again.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 5:48:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Gateway timeout.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 5:54:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
@WWIIWMD
View Quote
Dawnkee!
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 5:55:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Awesome thread, great pics. Thanks for sharing.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top