BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 160
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 9:31:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As I understand it, law is it's legal as Congress has not passed any laws making braces illegal.

FAFT opinion is they are SBRs and the FAFT are trying to enforce their opinion as if it were law but being a LAW ENFORCEMENT agency they have no power to MAKE LAWS.
View Quote

This makes sense.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 9:49:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That was early on.
They since created a special dispensation for those guns.
See Kharn a few posts up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My understanding of imported guns, as Cleary stated in the Rule, is if the gun was imported with the brace, it was unlawfully imported as a non-sporting rifle.  As such, factory-braced imported pistols have to be, by the compliance date, destroyed or turned over to ATF.  There was no option to remove the brace or register for free on these guns, as I recall the Rule examples.  How they could enforce that, I have no idea.

That was early on.
They since created a special dispensation for those guns.
See Kharn a few posts up.

I read that in George Carlin's voice
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 9:57:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm sorry, I am so lost here with all these pages and the "latest".

Suppose a guy has a brace on a 10.5 inch ar. What is the law? Not rebellion? Not the line in the sand? What if the brace was purchased years ago.

Summary? Again, thanks and help a guy out here.

View Quote

[Bleh - I had Gold , but fuck it]

To your question.  You have 3 weeks to make a decision.  You can register it on their little website and move the fuck on, get rid of the brace (as if, anybody wants a 10.5" pistol) , our toss the 12" bbl and mount a 16 "

Or ignore it, and go underground- never to actually be used in public or (God forbid), home defense.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 10:05:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Would you like the option to remove your stock from your registered SBR, and legally travel with it as a pistol? If so, you HAVE to pay $200.

If you take the free option, you acknowledge the gun you built/bought was always a rifle, and this goes back to FIRST a rifle, ALWAYS a rifle. In order to take it out of the state at all, proper travel paperwork has to be filed.

Both are valid approved form 1's, but the free option is more restrictive. Legally speaking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone taking the free route gets a valid approved Form 1. There is no stamp on it, as noted by the box marked no stamp paid.

It is also noted as being approved per conditions, conditions being listed as the ATF ruling that they took advantage of the free stamp on. This has been covered ad nauseam in the NFA section.

Thanks, I'm just diving back into this as we are <30 days. If I have to drop $200/ea for an actual stamp so be it. and it does sound like there is an actual difference. Does it matter tho? the atf already knows, it's just slightly classified differently.

Tax stamp: Registered and mfg SBR
pretty little letter: registered pistol as SBR during forbearance period

They both come to the same conclusion. Registered SBR

Would you like the option to remove your stock from your registered SBR, and legally travel with it as a pistol? If so, you HAVE to pay $200.

If you take the free option, you acknowledge the gun you built/bought was always a rifle, and this goes back to FIRST a rifle, ALWAYS a rifle. In order to take it out of the state at all, proper travel paperwork has to be filed.

Both are valid approved form 1's, but the free option is more restrictive. Legally speaking.

Disagree with your opinion on that.  

Built first as a pistol, then adding a brace, was always the smartest route.  You don’t need the brace to be functional.  And only a couple of mine came from the factory with the brace already.  My earliest ones actually had bare tubes, then came the cane tips, then came braces.  Nothing changes that, they can go back to being a basic pistol no problem.

Or do you expect ATF to go around asking people exactly how they built their weapons up when someone wants to put it back into Title 1 status?  The only ones they can prove are ones which came from the factory with a brace anyhow.  (Those OEM braced guns are the ones most likely to get someone jammed up- if they can jam people up, which I kind of doubt).

They bit off more than they can chew, but it sure does not seem like we are going to get any court relief prior to 5/31.  

The only winners are people who intended to do some future SBR paperwork anyhow.  Saved a lot on NFA stamps potentially.

Well the lawyers will be winners as well.  As always.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 10:12:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Built first as a pistol, then adding a brace, was always the smartest route.  You don’t need the brace to be functional.  And only a couple of mine came from the factory with the brace already.  My earliest ones actually had bare tubes, then came the cane tips, then came braces.  Nothing changes that, they can go back to being a basic pistol no problem.

Or do you expect ATF to go around asking people exactly how they built their weapons up when someone wants to put it back into Title 1 status?  The only ones they can prove are ones which came from the factory with a brace anyhow.  (Those OEM braced guns are the ones most likely to get someone jammed up- if they can jam people up, which I kind of doubt).

They bit off more than they can chew, but it sure does not seem like we are going to get any court relief prior to 5/31.  

The only winners are people who intended to do some future SBR paperwork anyhow.  Saved a lot on NFA stamps potentially.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone taking the free route gets a valid approved Form 1. There is no stamp on it, as noted by the box marked no stamp paid.

It is also noted as being approved per conditions, conditions being listed as the ATF ruling that they took advantage of the free stamp on. This has been covered ad nauseam in the NFA section.

Thanks, I'm just diving back into this as we are <30 days. If I have to drop $200/ea for an actual stamp so be it. and it does sound like there is an actual difference. Does it matter tho? the atf already knows, it's just slightly classified differently.

Tax stamp: Registered and mfg SBR
pretty little letter: registered pistol as SBR during forbearance period

They both come to the same conclusion. Registered SBR

They actually talk about that, and hence the Fuck It they officially state on extent of investigation and enforcement.  The biggest example is they specifically say they know engravement waiver is not in compliance with the law on stripped lower (as in Anderson, not 80%) home built Units.  Technically, Anderson is NOT the SBR manufacturer, since it never left their factory in arm brace configuration.  But they don't have the resources to cross check every unit, so fuck it, everybody that has a lower with the manufacturers name and state on it - that counts as the engraving.  

Frankly, if you zip tie an armbrace to a foreign 1911, *sigh*fuckit*stamp*.  

Next

LCP with armbrace...     *sigh*fuckit*stamp*.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 10:12:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not a problem. I have read the ruling about 6 times now. I am not a lawyer, I want to understand it to the best of my abilities. I take comments from others, and conversations about how things can be interpreted into consideration. I have waited this long to post my opinions, because I wait to speak until I feel confident in my understanding.

That does not mean I am right, if I am wrong, I am always willing to accept that when shown to be wrong, doesn't bother me. That's how you learn. I am posting what I believe to be the most clear understanding of this whole rule, and what that entails.

View Quote

You are wrong.  Because the acknowledgment says that the weapon fits their criteria.  Doesn’t say jack shit about whether it was built as a basic pistol first (no brace), then a brace was added a couple years later.  (Like many of them were, because braces were not even invented yet.)  So how the hell can anyone say a weapon that was a bare tube AR pistol for years has “always been a rifle” ?  No- it was a bare tube pistol (legal then, legal now, legal under this stupid rule), then it was a braced pistol, then ATF changed their mind and decided that at the point it got a brace it was always a rifle.

You are reading too much into it, or only considering weapons that had a brace on them from day 1.

Link Posted: 5/3/2023 10:24:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Here's a question to all. Is it morally wrong NOT to register? I am being sincere.
View Quote

Nope.  Even amongst LE, many are saying “fuck them”, “it was legal when I bought it”, etc.  More than I expected actually.

I am not in that crowd as I really like SBR’s, so I said “fuck you, and also- thanks for the free NFA approval” (well we shall see if they get approved).  Only a good option if you are already a tax stamp whore.  Nothing wrong with hoping they lose in court, while also taking action to save some money in the meantime.  

ATF and their hot/cold BS just gets so ridiculous.  Good fucking luck prosecuting the average person with a braced pistol in June.  Any smart prosecutor won’t touch those cases.  So it is a fairly safe position if you don’t register, but who likes being labeled as a criminal for something that was caused by ATF being wishy washy?
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 11:16:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nothing wrong with hoping they lose in court, while also taking action to save some money in the meantime.  
View Quote
Will you still feel that way after Brandon says something along the lines of: "The majority of gun owners WANT registration; I mean, just look at the millions of gun owners that have already voluntarily registered their assault weapons with the AFT in just the last few months!"

When you're a useful tool for Joe and Kamala, what then?
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 12:05:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Will you still feel that way after Brandon says something along the lines of: "The majority of gun owners WANT registration; I mean, just look at the millions of gun owners that have already voluntarily registered their assault weapons with the AFT in just the last few months!"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nothing wrong with hoping they lose in court, while also taking action to save some money in the meantime.  

Do you actually believe that 99.9% of the braces sold weren’t solely purchased in order to skirt the NFA?

They were designed for the disabled, however, that’s not why they became popular and you know that just as well as I do.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 12:12:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Do you actually believe that 99.9% of the braces sold weren’t solely purchased in order to skirt the NFA?

They were designed for the disabled, however, that’s not why they became popular and you know that just as well as I do.
View Quote

This is true. But like anything else with guberment rules, people will always do things to get the most benefit possible.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

And if nobody registers they'll say "we still have many unregistered SBRs so we have to do something else."

Them taking the next step in screwing us is not conditional.
They will simply adjust their lie to whatever we do.

Fighting in court is the only thing that will make any difference at all and they obviously will try to ignore even that.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 2:19:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's Quisling talk.

Why are you so insistent on being a Quisling and making the enemy's argument for them?
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 2:24:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That's Quisling talk.

Why are you so insistent on being a Quisling and making the enemy's argument for them?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's Quisling talk.

Just because you don't like what I said doesn't make it untrue.

Braces have always been an end-run around the NFA just like AR "pistols" with bare tubes for 99.9% of people.  If the NFA didn't exist neither of these things would exist except maybe a couple of braces for those that are truly disabled and need them.

I prefer to use logic rather than resort to "feelings" based arguments on topics of discussions.

Link Posted: 5/4/2023 2:29:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I haven't heard anyone registering answer what they will do when the instruction to surrender the weapons comes. I've asked twice. That is what this is all about. Some men will lose their nerve. That has to be reinforced by their countrymen or we lose it all. Cowardice is always the death of freedom.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's a question to all. Is it morally wrong NOT to register? I am being sincere.

I haven't seen anyone claiming that.  Every man has to make his own risk assessment and decision.  Direct your ire at the out of control government, not fellow gun owners who view the risks differently than you.

I haven't heard anyone registering answer what they will do when the instruction to surrender the weapons comes. I've asked twice. That is what this is all about. Some men will lose their nerve. That has to be reinforced by their countrymen or we lose it all. Cowardice is always the death of freedom.

They are gonna cave in and u know it..it will be just like the vaxxtards.... but my job, but my kids, but but but.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 2:30:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Logic?  

Hardly.

More like fear, greed and compromise at the expense of your fellow gun owner.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 2:31:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They are gonna cave in and u know it..it will be just like the vaxxtards.... but my job, but my kids, but but but.
View Quote

But they could have paid the tax and that couldn’t be used against us.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 2:33:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

But they could have paid the tax and that couldn't be used against us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But they could have paid the tax and that couldn't be used against us.

They are selling their freedom for 200 bucks.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 2:35:45 PM EDT
[#18]
No compliance to an unconstitutional ruling by persons that have very little in law enforcement knowledge thanks to being appointed to jobs they have no idea how to perform!
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 2:36:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Logic?  Hardly.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2048/meme2_JPG-2675956.jpg

More like basic greed and compromise at the expense of your fellow gun owner.
View Quote

Quite frankly a lot of my "fellow gun owners" are being a bunch of whiny little bitches towards those who disagree with their opinions so that comment is hardly going to make me feel bad about my stance on the subject.

At any rate my prime motivation was that I didn't have to engrave the lowers this way which means they'll potentially have some value down the road compared to an engraved lower should I ever decide to sell them.

If this gets overturned and they come back and want the $200 for the stamp then that's fine too.  If they say that I have to get them engraved as well then I'll put braces back on them and move on with my life.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 2:39:25 PM EDT
[#20]
To most people's eyes - Semi-Auto's look just like full autos and are simply a NFA loop hole.

Hopefully you quislings can hold the atf's balls & shaft in your mouths for a while longer in order to keep them distracted from this.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 2:49:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
To most people's eyes - Semi-Auto's look just like full autos and are simply a NFA loop hole.

Hopefully you quislings can hold the atf's balls & shaft in your mouths for a while longer in order to keep them distracted from this.
View Quote

You just made my point with this post.

When all you can do is resort to insults as a retort to differing opinions you simply push people further and further away from being on "your side".
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 2:56:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Not sure if this has been posted in this mega thread, but this video from the Arfcom Youtube channel is well worth a watch. Rep Massie of KY put the ATF director on the spot to clarify some of the mud they've generated.

The director stated simply owning a detatched brace will not be prosecutable.

Wait. Did He Really Just Say This Is Legal?!?
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 2:58:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That's Quisling talk.

View Quote

And if we all stick together in denying reality our resistance can be written off as ignorance.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 3:03:47 PM EDT
[#24]
This thread is another shining example of how fucked up we are as whole.  We should have 135 pages of organizing ways to fight and stop the fatf overreach but instead we have 135 pages of a disorganized clusterfuck of bickering amongst each other.

Sad.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 3:15:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This thread is another shining example of how fucked up we are as whole.  We should have 135 pages of organizing ways to fight and stop the fatf overreach but instead we have 135 pages of a disorganized clusterfuck of bickering amongst each other.

Sad.
View Quote

I agree. Unfortunately, if the ATF goes more rogue and starts arresting people with unregistered factory braced pistols, like my SIG Rattler, no one on this forum will be there to bail you out of jail. You and your attorney will be fighting for your freedom alone.

The decision to register as a SBR, on these braced pistols, is a decision best made without this echo chamber IMHO. Do I agree with their new rule, fuck no! But I also don’t want to be fighting ATF alone.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 4:13:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The short answer is if you didn't have it in your possession and in brace configuration on the letter publish date (March.. something?), you don't fall under the ... scheme.   But yes, if it had an arm-brace on it on March whatever, then rifle/922R/Whatever that the "discretion" has been made to waive enforcement of that.  So if it was in your possession and so configured in March, you are free to convert that all the way back to a full rifle (regardless of 922R), or keep it SBR and register under the program.   Anything that you buy now, even though it's during the grace period, is not covered and you have to pay the $200 tax stamp (and engraving, and the wait).  Which isn't the end of the world, but some people prefer not to pay their prison rapist for the service.  So anyway, unless YOU already had it in your possession prior to March, that ship has sailed.  Also, 922r related discretion waivers may not apply if you are going the $200 post-date route either.
View Quote

Just wanting to clarify here, are you talking about eligibility for what you can register under amnesty? If so, I believe the publish date was was Jan 30th, if you didn't own it and have it in 'braced' configuration by that date, you cannot register it under the amnesty.. (if you're paying 200$ to do SBR a normal way, i don't think it matters when you own  a 'pistol'). You have until May 31st to register if you are eligible for 'amnesty'.

Link Posted: 5/4/2023 4:41:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You just made my point with this post.

When all you can do is resort to insults as a retort to differing opinions you simply push people further and further away from being on "your side".
View Quote

This is what I've been saying too. Then these are the same people that will bitch they are left standing alone.. Yeah look in the mirror sometime.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Without reading all 135 pages is it the ATF's website one would go to if someone wants to look into registering? Asking for a friend.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 7:51:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Without reading all 135 pages is it the ATF's website one would go to if someone wants to look into registering? Asking for a friend.
View Quote

Sort of. They have the documents to download minus fingerprint cards and such. The BATFE also has the efile portal for electronic filing.

You can do it yourself through efile or paper file using the documents on their site, or use a 3rd party service to help you out, like Silencer Shop (for $50), to do the main paperwork for filing.

There's FAQs out there and our own NFA forum has a lot of information, regardless of the type of form or transfer you're trying to do.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:03:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

There's FAQs out there and our own NFA forum has a lot of information, regardless of the type of form or transfer you're trying to do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:56:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Just because you don't like what I said doesn't make it untrue.

Braces have always been an end-run around the NFA just like AR "pistols" with bare tubes for 99.9% of people.  If the NFA didn't exist neither of these things would exist except maybe a couple of braces for those that are truly disabled and need them.

I prefer to use logic rather than resort to "feelings" based arguments on topics of discussions.

View Quote

The NFA is a leftist "end run" around the second amendment.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 8:44:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I agree. Unfortunately, if the ATF goes more rogue and starts arresting people with unregistered factory braced pistols, like my SIG Rattler, no one on this forum will be there to bail you out of jail. You and your attorney will be fighting for your freedom alone.

The decision to register as a SBR, on these braced pistols, is a decision best made without this echo chamber IMHO. Do I agree with their new rule, fuck no! But I also don’t want to be fighting ATF alone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sad.

This is not a new rule or a rule change. ~ATF

No one uses these pistol braces because they want to, they’re a way around the NFA. ~ATF

$200 is a small price to pay to prove that wrong. Being on the fundraiser for suing ATF stripped lower made me happy to submit pics of the factory engravings.

Link Posted: 5/7/2023 8:55:13 AM EDT
[#33]
What’s the compliance date again?
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 9:02:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
What’s the compliance date again?
View Quote

At the FIC they said they’re supposed to disable the pistol brace form option on 5/31/23 at 12:01 am.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 9:02:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Nevermind.  Asked and answered.

Someone remind me not to post until my second cup of coffee.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 9:15:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The NFA is a leftist "end run" around the second amendment.
View Quote

There seem to be different levels of what constitutes "law" in this country (in order of supposed importance):

1-The Constitution and what it says, supposed to be the supreme law of the land and incorporated to the states themselves.

2-SCOTUS rulings that can sometimes clarify, create, or even change the meaning of what the Constitution says.

3-Federal Laws which are often at odds with one or both of the above, but are allowed to remain in place either because of rulings that use legal weaseling around the Constitution to claim that things that are plainly unconstitutional are actually ok, or until successfully challenged. Legal weaseling includes things like the justification for the Patriot Act, parallel construction, civil asset forfeiture, etc...

4-Federal LE interpretation of the aforementioned laws which can be to ignore them completely, to enforce something clearly never stated in nor intended by those laws, or even to choose 1 or 2 over the other on an inconsistent basis according to their own whims.

5-State laws which may be at odds with any of the above.

6-Local/municipal laws.

You can probably refine that somewhat, but it is always interesting to me how some members here will settle on 3-4 rather than 1 or even 2. I guess I don't understand how that is the level that is high enough for them to consider the correct version of "legal" but not low enough that it is superseded by those above that they are at odds with.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 10:59:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

There seem to be different levels of what constitutes "law" in this country (in order of supposed importance):

1-The Constitution and what it says, supposed to be the supreme law of the land and incorporated to the states themselves.

2-SCOTUS rulings that can sometimes clarify, create, or even change the meaning of what the Constitution says.

3-Federal Laws which are often at odds with one or both of the above, but are allowed to remain in place either because of rulings that use legal weaseling around the Constitution to claim that things that are plainly unconstitutional are actually ok, or until successfully challenged. Legal weaseling includes things like the justification for the Patriot Act, parallel construction, civil asset forfeiture, etc...

4-Federal LE interpretation of the aforementioned laws which can be to ignore them completely, to enforce something clearly never stated in nor intended by those laws, or even to choose 1 or 2 over the other on an inconsistent basis according to their own whims.

6-Local/municipal laws.

You can probably refine that somewhat, but it is always interesting to me how some members here will settle on 3-4 rather than 1 or even 2. I guess I don't understand how that is the level that is high enough for them to consider the correct version of "legal" but not low enough that it is superseded by those above that they are at odds with.
View Quote

Natural law supersedes the Constitution.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 11:13:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Everyone agrees this “rule” is complete hogwash. It’s blatantly & undeniably unconstitutional.

However in reality, none of that will stop the government from destroying your life if they so choose.

The same as registering your pistols won’t stop the government from destroying your life if they so choose.

At the end of the day this “rule” is a symptom of a much larger problem. And all of this infighting amongst gun owners is completely counterproductive to solving that problem. No doubt BATFE & the government in general love the division it’s created & that’s what will guarantee more of these infringements. Not the number of registrations.

The government only fears one thing at this point: A united American people. So long as they can avoid that they can continue to rob us all blind & sell us all out for penny’s on the dollar. And that’s all they really care about.

So register your pistols or don’t register. At the end of the day it truly matters not. But we’d all better wake up to the reality that this is an us vs them situation real quick. Because them has their shit together & us is on borrowed time unless we get ours together real quick.

And to the feds who no doubt monitor this site; You’d better wake up to the reality that you’re nothing more than pawns to the elite the same as the rest of us. Your kids & grandkids will pay the same price ours for the destruction of liberty you’re helping to ensure.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 11:22:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Doesn't matter. Law says "designed and intended". Doesn't say "purchased solely to skirt the nfa".
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 12:53:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Correct, but that's too nebulous a concept to grasp for those who derive their sense of right and wrong from what is legal and illegal.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 5:59:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

How many firearms were added to the registry since the final ruling compared to the 90 years prior?  

You know what? Even that's a trap. Facts don't matter to anti-2A politicians.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 6:44:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

6-Local/municipal laws.

Make sure you say that after your conviction following a Democrat-sanctioned kangaroo court.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:01:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Sad.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 4:55:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Not sure if this has been posted in this mega thread, but this video from the Arfcom Youtube channel is well worth a watch. Rep Massie of KY put the ATF director on the spot to clarify some of the mud they've generated.

The director stated simply owning a detatched brace will not be prosecutable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwuf6KrbCms
View Quote

But the point of all this is it doesn’t matter what they say because they can just change their mind later.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 5:20:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you actually believe that 99.9% of charitable donations weren't solely made to reduce a person's tax liability?

That should be illegal!

Following the letter of the law is still following the law, despite what you may believe.

This is you:
Attachment Attached File

Have you demanded to see anyone's Form 1 at the range yet? Have you started making a list of all the people you're going to turn in on June 1st?

I bet you have.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Do you actually believe that 99.9% of charitable donations weren't solely made to reduce a person's tax liability?

That should be illegal!

Following the letter of the law is still following the law, despite what you may believe.

This is you:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/72701/download__18__3_jpeg-2812407.JPG

Have you demanded to see anyone's Form 1 at the range yet? Have you started making a list of all the people you're going to turn in on June 1st?

I bet you have.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That should be illegal!

This is you:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/72701/download__18__3_jpeg-2812407.JPG

I bet you have.

Your analogy is flawed as donations being tax deductible is an incentive.

I don’t care what anyone else does.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 5:21:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Good read
https://bearingarms.com/tomknighton/2023/05/09/founding-father-brace-n70299?utm_source=badaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl&bcid=fa7ed4f158455d4226a7144ea2e3cd8140f096fc4db5de6425eb15fdadf1df48

The Founding Fathers wouldn't approve of brace ban
By Tom Knighton | 8:30 PM on May 09, 2023

The ATF decided that the stabilizing braces they told people could be put on their AR-pistols and it still be a pistol are now illegal. If that makes no sense to you, welcome to the wonderful world of life with the ATF.

They can approve of a product, allow companies to sell millions of them, then decide on a whim that they’re now illegal.

Yet we now live in a world with the Bruen decision in play.

That decision basically says that if the Founding Fathers didn’t restrict it or something like it, you can’t either.

And on the issue of braces and such, well, it seems they knew about such things. From David Codrea writing at Ammoland:

In light of the Bruen decision, where “text, history, and tradition” of the Second Amendment at the time it was written is what informs us as to what the Founders understood the right to protect, I couldn’t turn to the Borchardt – that would play right into the hands of the gun prohibitionists, who, unable to identify Founding-Era infringements have tried turning to later laws, including post-Civil War edicts intended to keep freed blacks disarmed.

“Here ya go.  Yes, we go back to the Founding,” he followed up, attaching a complaint by parties including the State of Texas, Gun Owners of America, Gun Owners Foundation, and private citizen/FFL Brady Brown against ATF. “The pics start on page 70.”

“It is a massive case,” he advised.  “We are currently waiting for the judge to rule on whether or not to grant a preliminary injunction.”

He wasn’t kidding. The complaint, embedded below is a treasure trove of examples from even before the Second Amendment was written, presenting photographic examples including:

1720 Flintlock Pistol with Stock
1750 Flintlock Pistols with Stocks
1760 Flintlock Grenade Launcher
1780 Flintlock Pistol w Stock
1760-1820 Flintlock Pistol Carbine with detachable stock
1790 Flintlock Blunderbuss Pistols – w detachable stocks (and bayonets)
1795 Flintlock Blunderbuss – 15” barrel

Now, take a look at those firearms.

All of those are relevant when you look at the criteria laid out by Bruen. In fact, the earliest example provided here predated not just the nation but potentially some of the Founding Fathers themselves. These weren’t unheard of.

As a result, it seems incredible to claim that they would have favored a restriction on such braces when they did absolutely nothing about those pistols with stocks–essentially something that does what the ATF says they’re trying to prevent today–suggests that they didn’t have an issue with them.

If they did, they had plenty of time to restrict them.

So if they didn’t and if we follow the Bruen decision’s criteria, then there really are no grounds for restricting the stabilizing braces as the ATF has done.

Granted, I’d argue the only way the ATF is constitutional is if it were a privately-owned convenience store, but I get that a lot of people disagree with me on that one.

Either way, though, it seems there’s enough historic support for these braces that a court will be hard-pressed not to overturn the ATF’s regulation.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 5:46:07 AM EDT
[#48]
My only braced pistol now has a stock and a pined and welded 6 inch xm177 KAK muzzle device making it a rifle. The one pistol I still have never had a brace just a tube. Gonna wait and see what happens in court.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:08:47 AM EDT
[#49]
If the Republicans were really concerned with the ATF putting this policy in place with out going thru congress, they could and a line in the debt ceiling bill legalizing Arm braces.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:04:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Your analogy is flawed as donations being tax deductible is an incentive.

I don’t care what anyone else does.
View Quote

Braces weren’t illegal to ‘skirt’ the NFA anymore than driving 54.9 or 55.1 mph when cop radar detectors only resolve to 1 mph ‘skirts’ a 55 mph speed limit.

The ATF even said braces weren’t stocks and allowed them to be sold for a decade before the scale of the market, a few high visibility murders unrelated to the functionality or even legal aspect of a brace, and a change in political administration made them arbitrarily decide a registration drive makes it all better.  To save face. To show those uppity youbube influencers.

A screw driver can function as a scraper, chisel, pry bar, wedge, shank, burglars tool, and as a screw driver. It’s obvious what it was design-optimized for (um, screws).  

Nobody designs stocks for rifles out of bifurcated, floppy, strap festooned, or with thin blade profiles. Just because a brace functions as a shitty stock doesn’t make it a stock (required for rifle under law). Just because criminals misuse a screwdriver as a shank doesn’t make it a knife.  Loophole is just a short phrase for ‘characteristic of the law’. The law needs to be changed to deal with problems, not twisted. So far the proof that braced pistols are a problem is lacking. The registration drive addresses nothing other than bureaucratic and fanboy egos.  It does perpetuate the bureaucracy.  You seem to like that.
Page / 160
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top