User Panel

Page / 17
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 4:21:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 4:24:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Looks as though the 2 parts that guide the door up and off of the retention pads are gone. That is the location that have the upper 2 "lock" bolts in the door

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/180908/1000001578_jpg-3085321.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/180908/1000001577_jpg-3085322.JPG

ETA for clarification, there is most likely a roller on the ship side and a track on the door with the lock bolt in it keeping the door from moving up and out if that makes any sense
View Quote

In this photo, you can see that the rollers are still there, and possibly abraded paint and scuff marks at the top of the stop fittings.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kiowadriver/53445809795/

These stop fittings must not have thru bolts, but some sort of sprung detent.  The stop fittings look to be the same whether it's the exit door or the simple door plug.  So, in the case of the exit door, there's no way these things have a continuous bolt that runs the full depth of both stop fitting holes.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 4:30:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 4:32:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

first week of classes. What did you call it?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you implying that you can't have excellent engineers who are also black?

Statistically speaking they are rare as hen's teeth. I knew one that was brilliant but sadly individual achievement means nothing in the world of population statistics. Just going off of numbers it's implied they are going to lower standards to reach their hiring goal.
Hmmm weird-statistics is a weird science. We use statistics in psychology and statistically speaking there's no reason blacks can't make excellent engineers. If I had to guess trauma could factor in. I really don't know what else would explain it.
I know the reason.  Underlying talent compounded by sorry education and unwarranted trophy awards.

Idk usually those are weeded out in hell week. I agree with the above statement that they should be focused on the best engineers possible. If they are committed to hiring anyone then they have a duty to train them as well. The buck doesn't stop on the engineers desk. A lot of eyes had to have seen the designs before it was on the assembly line.

What, exactly, is hell week?

A merciful change of pace from the week before.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 4:38:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What I thought looked like bolt heads in the other photo are mono balls.  Hence "stop fittings".

That tells me the door assembly has bayonets to engage the mono balls.

It doesn't explain how the door assembly disappeared.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks as though the 2 parts that guide the door up and off of the retention pads are gone. That is the location that have the upper 2 "lock" bolts in the door

ETA for clarification, there is most likely a roller on the ship side and a track on the door with the lock bolt in it keeping the door from moving up and out if that makes any sense

In this photo, you can see that the rollers are still there, and possibly abraded paint and scuff marks at the top of the stop fittings.

These stop fittings must not have thru bolts, but some sort of sprung detent.  The stop fittings look to be the same whether it's the exit door or the simple door plug.  So, in the case of the exit door, there's no way these things have a continuous bolt that runs the full depth of both stop fitting holes.

What I thought looked like bolt heads in the other photo are mono balls.  Hence "stop fittings".

That tells me the door assembly has bayonets to engage the mono balls.

It doesn't explain how the door assembly disappeared.

I'm curious what the lower sill plate looks like but I haven't found any pictures where it isn't obscured by seats.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 4:39:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh wow! That is a much better picture in your link.

Attachment Attached File

I stand corrected, the rollers are still there.

Apologies gents

Link Posted: 1/7/2024 4:43:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 4:44:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The lower hinge fittings are used for retention, too.

Check out this drawing and photo of a emergency door installation -

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/348/1000000528-3085467.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/348/1000000529-3085468.jpg

I don't understand the function of a cable assembly on the plug door unless it's used to rotate the roller assembly to lock and unlock.

The NTSB classified this as major damage.  We're not seeing something critical.

View Quote

Looks to be a limiting strap to keep it from going full open during maintenance

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 4:49:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/180908/1000001581_jpg-3085509.JPG
View Quote

That’s on a functional door though, isn’t it? The one that blew out was non functional.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 4:54:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
But, this what I don't get.  The stop fittings of the door sit inboard of the respective fuselage stop fittings.  The door has to move up the whole height of the frame/fuselage stop fitting before it can translate outboard.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203937/blS259f-2806399.gif
View Quote

The door does move up 1 1/2 - 2" in the upper guide fitting track to clear the stop fitting then it can be rotated to the open position.

Link Posted: 1/7/2024 5:00:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's on a functional door though, isn't it? The one that blew out was non functional.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's on a functional door though, isn't it? The one that blew out was non functional.

It is a limiting strap for a door plug install.  You would not want a limiting strap on an emergency door for obvious reasons.

Link Posted: 1/7/2024 5:01:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
... We're not seeing something critical.

View Quote
Yeah, we're not seeing a door that's normally supposed to be there.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 5:02:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It is a limiting strap for a door plug install.  You would not want a limiting strap on an emergency door for obvious reasons.

View Quote

Oh ok. I thought the limiting strap was just for install.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 5:03:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 1/7/2024 5:09:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

That just doesn't seem right..... not sure I believe that.

Link Posted: 1/7/2024 5:11:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Honestly with the odds being what they are that you’re pushing a deuce and the cabin structure has a catastrophic failure… it was just your time
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same.

One of my fears is being in the bathroom with the door closed during a rapid depress event and being blown out (hopefully only into the cabin) when the bathroom equalizes.

Honestly with the odds being what they are that you’re pushing a deuce and the cabin structure has a catastrophic failure… it was just your time

Thankfully I don't have to worry about that.
I'm so fat and already wedged in the bathroom that a rapid decompression would cause me to expand and be even further stuck in place in the bathroom.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 5:17:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

could be the slide/raft inflation cable.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 5:18:36 PM EDT
[#18]

This is, quite literally, the craziest fucking thing I ever read in my life.

After 25 years in AF maintenance I saw assemblers in that factory that do things that boggled my mind. My cherry got busted early when QA caught one of my guys filling countersinks drilled too deep on a wing root panel with putty and using a phillips to "press-in" a bolt head. The tool control program got my blood pressure so high I punched the button one morning and walked out.

Eliminate the only people keeping the wheels on, eh? We may have finally found the answer to...
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/7/2024 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it's just to keep the thing from being dropped while servicing. You can see it in the pictures of the installed door plug just below the roller/track fittings on each side:
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#20]
follow up video with more door details.

737 Mid-Cabin Emergency Exit Doors - Plug Option
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 5:24:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll go further than that...I don't believe it.

I will caveat. We got so many boxes of tools back from the customers first major, it's not inconceivable that Alaska did a depanel FOD inspection. That would entail maybe, maybe pulling the wall, but the plug? No.

I'll wait to be proven wrong.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 5:30:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 5:34:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Is any actual "engineering" happening anymore?  Or is it all plug-and-chug FEA nowadays?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am stating that they should be striving to hire and promote the best engineers that they can, period.

Is any actual "engineering" happening anymore?  Or is it all plug-and-chug FEA nowadays?

I've run into a lot of Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V engineering as of late but again, not in this industry at all.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I will caveat. We got so many boxes of tools back from the customers first major, it's not inconceivable that Alaska did a depanel FOD inspection. That would entail maybe, maybe pulling the wall, but the plug? No.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easy question for Alaska to answer, did they mess with the plug or not?

But it does jibe with the earlier assertion from that kid's dad that Alaska must have removed it for some reason.

Link Posted: 1/7/2024 5:37:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Blue lines are the bolts in the other diagrams that pin the door closed.

Red lines point to springs that you can't see in this image that are trying to force the door up the lower hinge assembly at the bottom, and the door up and free of the upper door guides.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/7/2024 5:48:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Wondering if someone happens to have a couple extra bolts on their work bench . . . .

Link Posted: 1/7/2024 6:00:14 PM EDT
[#27]
This scares the living shit outta me.  Still allowed to fly, just short distances over land.  You can still die, it just won't be over water.  

Quoted:
Images taken by passengers show no damage to the frame around the neat rectangular hole. It appears that the plug, which is fastened to the airframe with just four bolts, came loose and fell away.

On Saturday, Alaska Airlines said that in the days before Friday's in-flight incident pilots had filed several reports of intermittent warning lights that indicated some loss of cabin pressure on the jet.

Jason Lai, Alaska's managing director of engineering, said these pressurization warnings were written up and "resolved per approved maintenance procedures."

As a result of those write-ups, the plane was then restricted from long-distance flying out over water, he said, but otherwise allowed to fly.

There is no immediate explanation as to why the plug blew out.

Photos and videos made by passengers inside the jet show clean metal brackets where the plug would be fastened, with no visible breaks, structural damage, deformations or tears in the metal.

In an interview Saturday, independent airline industry consultant Bob Mann said, "that makes me wonder if it was ever properly fastened."

If not, he said, repeated pressurizations and depressurizations each time the jet flew could have gradually loosened it.

Chris Brady, an experienced pilot who runs the "Boeing 737 Technical Site" website, on Saturday posted a video showing a photo of the door plug and describing how it is installed. Brady's technical assessments were cited in the U.S. House report into the two fatal MAX crashes.

His video, citing the 737 maintenance manual, states that the door plug is fastened with just four bolts to fittings inside the fuselage. The Seattle Times confirmed with an industry source that this is accurate.

"For this incident to have happened, something must have been amiss with at least one of those bolts, probably more," Brady states in the video.

The entire fuselage of the jet, including this plugged door, is assembled in Wichita, Kan., by Spirit AeroSystems and arrives by train at Boeing's Renton plant.

In Renton, Boeing mechanics and quality inspectors complete the cabin interior, adding the wiring, insulation and sidewalls that would cover the plug before adding the seats, galley, lavatories and other interior elements.

Investigators will hope to find the piece that fell somewhere south of Portland and will comb the manufacturing assembly and inspection records.

Mann said the lack of any deformation around the hole in the fuselage makes it look like the initial cause may be "a Spirit quality control issue."

However Boeing has ultimate responsibility for the aircraft. The plug should have been inspected in Renton before the sidewall was installed to cover it.

And Alaska Airlines will also face questions about how it handled the indications of depressurization the days before, allowing the plane to continue to fly.

News of the depressurization warnings was first reported late Friday on The Air Current website.

Lai, Alaska's managing director of engineering, said via email that "these types of aircraft pressurization system write ups are typical in large aircraft commercial aviation operations."

"In every case, the write up was fully evaluated and resolved per approved maintenance procedures and in full compliance with all applicable FAA regulations," he added.

Nevertheless, he said, "out of an abundance of caution," Alaska Airlines has an internal policy to restrict aircraft with multiple maintenance write ups on certain systems from flying long distances over water, even when the reported faults are resolved.

That was the case for this aircraft. It was restricted from flying to Hawaii but cleared to fly to California.

"This internal policy is not required by any FAA regulation but is an additional 'above and beyond' safety precaution," Lai said.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/boeing-737-max-9s-grounded-after-alaska-airlines-in-flight-blowout/
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/7/2024 6:04:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This scares the living shit outta me.  Still allowed to fly, just short distances over land.  You can still die, it just won't be over water.  

View Quote

Water versus land generally isn’t relevant in aviation.  Distance from a suitable runway is.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 6:06:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Will be interesting to see how much Boeing stock takes a hit on Monday
View Quote

That is almost certain.  I dumped it years ago.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 6:15:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Looks like the plug section failed, and was sucked out.  
Attachment Attached File

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Looks like the plug section failed, and was sucked out.  
Attachment Attached File

Quoted:
Spoke to a Boeing senior engineer and he said the actual plug door failed.

When its installed it slides down like a garage door.  There are 12 are pin blocks that are intact which means its the door and not the fuselage. You can see them in the pics.

Triumph made the doors but were placed on non fly list and cant even bid on contracts anymore.  They may have used a door that was made by them. The actual failure is in the beam/intercostal riveting.

Spirit aerospace makes the fuselage in Wichita and would have actually installed the door

Yep.  The door snapped out around the fasteners.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 6:22:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Disregard
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 6:26:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If Alaska removed that plug door,which is possible,then a BOI(break of inspection) needs to be performed.
basically,a BOI is a logbook that shows what was removed,location,s/n,reason,prod. stamp and when it's ready to go back on the p/n,s/n,stamp of production and QUALITY stamp has to be applied.

i've done so many in my past life both as prod. and as quality.

by the way,Boeing talking about eliminating QC is "production verify"--a prod. guy will use his stamp to close a job.training for this is total B.S. and covers nothing(I did it and it was a joke)

But it does jibe with the earlier assertion from that kid's dad that Alaska must have removed it for some reason.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If Alaska removed that plug door,which is possible,then a BOI(break of inspection) needs to be performed.
basically,a BOI is a logbook that shows what was removed,location,s/n,reason,prod. stamp and when it's ready to go back on the p/n,s/n,stamp of production and QUALITY stamp has to be applied.

i've done so many in my past life both as prod. and as quality.

by the way,Boeing talking about eliminating QC is "production verify"--a prod. guy will use his stamp to close a job.training for this is total B.S. and covers nothing(I did it and it was a joke)

Link Posted: 1/7/2024 7:03:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I don't understand the function of a cable assembly on the plug door unless it's used to rotate the roller assembly to lock and unlock.

View Quote

The diagram is for a plug instead of a door option.

The image is for the actual deactivated door option.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm so fat and already wedged in the bathroom that a rapid decompression would cause me to expand and be even further stuck in place in the bathroom.

Kharn
View Quote

Would a rapid decompression suck the contents of the tank up through the toilet like a geyser?  
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 7:22:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Would a rapid decompression suck the contents of the tank up through the toilet like a geyser?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

They don't use a trap and gravity flush like a conventional toilet, so they shouldn't. Otherwise that Poseidon's Kiss would be one for the history books.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 7:23:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

Past the flapper valve? Doubtful.

Also doubtful that the lavatory door would seal so effectively as to allow a significant pressure differential. No one is getting blown out of the shitter.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 7:24:29 PM EDT
[#37]
I didn't need more reasons to never get on a plane, but this looks like more good reasons to never get on a plane.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 7:35:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not on those toilets. There is a flush valve just downstream of the toilet bowl that slides open when you push the button. In the air, cabin pressure pushes everything out of the toilet bowl, down a pipe, and into a big tank in the back. On the ground, a big vacuum motor provides the suction force.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 7:50:48 PM EDT
[#39]
So if I'm understanding this correctly, it looks like there are roller pins on either side of the opening near the top that index into those slotted brackets on either side of the plug. When the roller pins enter the grooves, the 12 lugs along the sides of the plug have clearance to move past the ones on the fuselage. At the bottom of the plug are hooks that grab and cinch to the bottom of the opening. As the hooks are tightened, the whole plug gets pulled down and against the fuselage skin into it's fully sealed position. Once there, the lugs on either side are aligned and get what looks like grub screws threaded into them that further press the plug's and fuselage's sealing surfaces together.

Seems like it should be impossible for that to come apart mid flight. I'm guessing someone didn't put the grub screws in correctly or at all.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 7:58:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 8:02:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So if I'm understanding this correctly, it looks like there are roller pins on either side of the opening near the top that index into those slotted brackets on either side of the plug. When the roller pins enter the grooves, the 12 lugs along the sides of the plug have clearance to move past the ones on the fuselage. At the bottom of the plug are hooks that grab and cinch to the bottom of the opening. As the hooks are tightened, the whole plug gets pulled down and against the fuselage skin into it's fully sealed position. Once there, the lugs on either side are aligned and get what looks like grub screws threaded into them that further press the plug's and fuselage's sealing surfaces together.

Seems like it should be impossible for that to come apart mid flight. I'm guessing someone didn't put the grub screws in correctly or at all.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203945/GDN4W5IXAAAUcVt_jpg-3085840.JPG
View Quote

That's kind of where I was meandering earlier, before the "4 bolt" portion of the install surfaced. That's an amazingly complex item for a close-out. I guess they engineered it to allow the configuration to be changed if the aircraft's intended passenger compliment was ever bumped up, maybe?

Link Posted: 1/7/2024 8:11:55 PM EDT
[#42]

Then again...
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 8:26:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It was long ago, and I'm making these numbers up just to illustrate...but after that firefighting C-130 wing fold we started doing rainbow fitting inspections on the entire fleet. Those fitting have "teeth" that determine their structural integrity. After they found a couple of problems, an engineer got up in front of the wing commander and started explaining the probability of failure from a single tooth through consecutive teeth. One tooth was a 1 in 10,000,000 chance of catastrophic failure. Two consecutive teeth didn't double the risk...it went to 1 in 100,000. At three teeth when the odds of a crash hit 1 in 1,000 missions everybody in the room got really quiet. We inspected those damn fittings for a LONG time after that.
View Quote

The rainbow fittings at wing station 220 had nothing to do with that wing separation, which occurred inboard of BL65 under a lower surface doubler hiding an 8+ inch crack in the skin and 2 severed hat stringers. The lug or flange cracks on the rainbow fittings are a separate issue but C-130's have never lost a wing there.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 8:31:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The deactivated door is the plug
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 8:32:47 PM EDT
[#45]
What derivative would have a live door as opposed to a plug?
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 8:32:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The first week of class.

Edit-not being snarky.  It's been a long time, but I don't remember the beginning of classes being that big a deal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you implying that you can't have excellent engineers who are also black?

Statistically speaking they are rare as hen's teeth. I knew one that was brilliant but sadly individual achievement means nothing in the world of population statistics. Just going off of numbers it's implied they are going to lower standards to reach their hiring goal.
Hmmm weird-statistics is a weird science. We use statistics in psychology and statistically speaking there's no reason blacks can't make excellent engineers. If I had to guess trauma could factor in. I really don't know what else would explain it.
I know the reason.  Underlying talent compounded by sorry education and unwarranted trophy awards.

Idk usually those are weeded out in hell week. I agree with the above statement that they should be focused on the best engineers possible. If they are committed to hiring anyone then they have a duty to train them as well. The buck doesn't stop on the engineers desk. A lot of eyes had to have seen the designs before it was on the assembly line.

What, exactly, is hell week?

The first week of class.

Edit-not being snarky.  It's been a long time, but I don't remember the beginning of classes being that big a deal.

I don't either but I do remember losing a 1/3 of the class after the first quiz in the upper division math and science classes.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 8:38:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The rainbow fittings at wing station 220 had nothing to do with that wing separation, which occurred inboard of BL65 under a lower surface doubler hiding an 8+ inch crack in the skin and 2 severed hat stringers. The lug or flange cracks on the rainbow fittings are a separate issue but C-130's have never lost a wing there.
View Quote

Like I said, 15 or more years ago. I distinctly remember them talking rainbow fitting and wing failure, though. Did the rainbow inspection just arise as a depot finding, or did they start looking at all failure modes after that crash? Somehow I definitely associated the two in my mind for some reason.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 8:40:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Based on the spacing of the remaining windows, leg room in that isle, and huge hole, I would say that is an emergency exit.
View Quote
If it wasn't before, it is now.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 8:41:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Some airlines cram more asses in seats which require an additonal egress door.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 8:42:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
I believe it has to do with the number of passengers, so more to do with the interior configuration than derivative?
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top