Link Posted: 8/15/2020 12:49:44 PM EDT
[#1]

This is missing some daggers! Spartan V-14
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 12:50:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Eh.

At least the M10 is a Terozula design and VG10.

https://i0.wp.com/knifesteelnerds.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/CATRA-4-27-2020-2.jpg?w=753&ssl=1

A helpful chart for inquisitive people
View Quote

Super cool chart.  What does TCC stand for?

It has a shit ton of super steels i.e. steels that virtually no manufacturer uses.  Too bad it doesn't have more of the typical factory steels like 5160, 440A, 440B and 420, etc. etc.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 12:50:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Am I correct in remembering that you are a knifemaker like myself Kuraki?  A common question I get is "your a knifemaker, why aren't you using yours instead of a Ka-Bar-SRK-Randall, MORA, etc.  
I love knives, I buy knives, I make knives.  I collect and them.  Would I hang my $1200 Chris Reeve MKIV on my APC?  Abolutely not. I clean bluegills with a Mora because of it's size and shape.  Many of the knives I make go as gifts to friends and family and some are set back as heirlooms to pass down.  Some I use.

My own knives get cycled in through skinning deer, cleaning fish, etc and are coldly compared to others.  I can't recommend folks buy mine because I usually don't have any for sale, but for the value I recommend the SRK just because it's commonly available and will do most anything you want it to do from batonning to stabbing to cleaning a deer.  And if you lose it, meh, get another one. Even my KaBars and Randalls  are too bulky to hang from an APC or warbelt.  I have one of the 3/4 size Randalls that would be perfect if my hands weren't too big for the handle.

Stay away from knives overly thick, overly long, overly heavy.  You'll start hating it when it's in your way everytime you go to do something.  Those little Mora Garbergs full tangs are excellent EDC knives.

I make knives from D2, 5160, W2 (favorite), Elmax, and M390.  I will take a high carbon W2 that has been properly normalized, heat treated, and good geometry over a sharpened crowbar.

Give me 1" high blade, 5.25" long, 5/32" thick and put a small guard on the bottom side. LIttle bit of belly, stop just short of a full flat grind and drop the tip a little.  Make it carbon W2 so I can get a nice gray patina on it . Round all of the handle hotspots especially under the guard and I'm sold.  Full tang unless it's stag and I'm a huge fan of stag and ram.

I'd rather talk knives than eat.  I love hanging out with other knifemakers because I learn so much.

View Quote

Great post!
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The Strongarm would likely be slightly higher than 8670.  420 is a pretty poor performer.

It is relatively tough however. That's likely why it was chosen.  AEB-L would have been a better choice and possibly even tougher yet.

420 isn't on the chart because it's practically unused by anyone but Randall and Buck anymore.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The higher a knife is on the chart, the longer it holds an edge? I'm not seeing the Strongarm steel in there for a comparison.
The Strongarm would likely be slightly higher than 8670.  420 is a pretty poor performer.

It is relatively tough however. That's likely why it was chosen.  AEB-L would have been a better choice and possibly even tougher yet.

420 isn't on the chart because it's practically unused by anyone but Randall and Buck anymore.
I coulda swore that Randall used 440C for their SS blades and O1 tool steel for the high carbon knives.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 12:55:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Super cool chart.  What does TCC stand for?

It has a shit ton of super steels i.e. steels that virtually no manufacturer uses.  Too bad it doesn't have more of the typical factory steels like 5160, 440A, 440B and 420, etc. etc.
View Quote

Total Cards Cut. The testing machine used silica impregnated cardstock of a given thickness in the testing.

What? A few are exotic but supersteels are used by a lot of the major manufacturers nowadays.

Not a lot of 5160 in production knives outside traditionals. 440 is mostly Chinese anymore with the exception of Randall.

420 is buck and Chinese

A bunch of the old classic American manufacturers make their stuff in China now.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 12:55:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I coulda swore that Randall used 440C for their SS blades and O1 tool steel for the high carbon knives.
View Quote

And charge a ton for it. Bleh.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 12:58:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You must move around like Ralphies little brother in the snow suit with that load out.
View Quote

Are you guys all 90 pound chicks or what?
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 1:00:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The higher a knife is on the chart, the longer it holds an edge? I'm not seeing the Strongarm steel in there for a comparison.

I seem to be wrong.  It must have been vintage Randalls that used 420.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 1:00:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You must move around like Ralphies little brother in the snow suit with that load out.
View Quote

Buford T Justice - When i put bullets in it\ufeff Daddy it gets too heavy
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 1:40:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Lots of good looking knifes, setups and advice here guys.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I think I’m going to try the $70 Gerber.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 8:14:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No idea. Whatever Eagle Industries is putting on their Low-Vis Plate Carrier. Whatever it is, I freaking love it!

Link
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
SOG Field Knife, mounted on weak-side cumberbund.

https://i.imgur.com/dc7rC0K.jpg

is that Hypalon backing on your chest rig? The shoulder straps?

No idea. Whatever Eagle Industries is putting on their Low-Vis Plate Carrier. Whatever it is, I freaking love it!

Link

That is a nice PC.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 10:58:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not a lot of 5160 in production knives outside traditionals. 440 is mostly Chinese anymore with the exception of Randall.
View Quote

Doesn't Ontario make a lot of fixed blades on 5160? I had one of the bigger ones years ago and have it to my brother.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 11:19:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Another visible weapon to worry about retaining, if you happen to be in a struggle. I'm looking at it from the LE point of view. I see lots of Officers wearing one or more dagger type blades on their outer carrier.
View Quote

If I was wearing a PC as a police officer, no, I would not have a large fixed blade on it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 11:32:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If I was wearing a PC as a police officer, no, I would not have a large fixed blade on it.
View Quote

So you would be comfortable relying 100% on your duty weapon?

Would you carry a knife at all?

What's your backup plan?
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 11:44:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Took an angle grinder and cut a chunk out of a lawnmower blade. Wrapped it with a little duck tape.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 1:01:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What's your backup plan?
View Quote

That would depend on what my department allowed and what I was trained on, I suppose.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 1:01:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What's your backup plan?
View Quote
Most I know carry a push dagger or one of those little right angle kabar jobs, but they're generally out of sight.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 1:22:45 AM EDT
[#20]
schultzbladeworks

He makes a larger version of this one too

Link Posted: 8/16/2020 1:56:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you were going to put on a plate carrier and were going to attach a knife to it, what would the knife look like?  I'm shopping.  Looking at fixed blades, combat knifes.  Pictures please.  More interested in the knife, not necessarily knowing how you would mount it to the plate carrier, but would be a plus.
View Quote

Dude, THE SPARTAN BLADES LES GEORGE V-14 tip down for reverse grip hacking attack. BOOM. I've beaten anyone else's suggestions hands down. I'm sorry everyone for being so arrogant, but in this instance, my arrogance is justified.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 2:12:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 3:50:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Dude, THE SPARTAN BLADES LES GEORGE V-14 tip down for reverse grip hacking attack. BOOM. I've beaten anyone else's suggestions hands down. I'm sorry everyone for being so arrogant, but in this instance, my arrogance is justified.
View Quote

Too big.  Hell of a nice knife, just too damn big.  A knife carried for defense,  at least in the LE role, needs to be somewhat concealed meaning not noticeable where its carried but easily accessible by the officer.  I currently don't carry a knife on my PC but the argument made either here or in another recent PC knife thread made me realize one on the PC is useful if you're in the unenviable position of being mounted and unable to reach anything but whats on your chest.   Your knife but a bit shorter blade would be about perfect for what i have in mind.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 4:08:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 11:44:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Click the hyperlink...
View All Quotes

Thanks. Nice options in a good looking design
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

https://media.giphy.com/media/3owypkSIpM8xw6p7W0/giphy.gif

Thanks. Nice options in a good looking design
View Quote
They're good guys too.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 1:38:15 PM EDT
[#27]
I’m starting to come around to a large knife may be too much of a liability on a plate carrier.  I really don’t like the small knifes either. Needs to be something in between in my opinion. The Gerber knife is about the right size, but I would like a better blade option.

I noticed Ka Bar started offering a D2 blade.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 2:46:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Another thread came up about this recently...several folks suggested just picking up a gerber strongarm.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/119115/Strongarm1_JPG-1545442.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/119115/Strongarm2_JPG-1545443.JPG
View Quote

I just bought one of those on a whim, and I don’t have a plate carrier. But I do like knives. It’s a nice knife!
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 2:48:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I just bought one of those on a whim, and I don’t have a plate carrier. But I do like knives. It’s a nice knife!
View Quote

Where in the wide wide world of sports are you going to carry your knife???
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 8:57:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
@Charlie_Foxtrot
I'm not sure I recognize the plate carries you have there. Can tell us the models? Thanks!
View Quote

Grey Ghost carrier and a Shell Back banshee that has been modded the banshee is going to be replaced when I get my new carrier I have on order from MOS.

https://mostactical.com/collections/spav-w/products/spav-w-desert-night-camo
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 12:02:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Just ordered an ESEE-3.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 8:00:22 AM EDT
[#33]
I used to just carry a Kbar on my SWAT vest.

I have a Ratweiler that I need to make up a way to afix it to my BOB/Plate carrier.

J-
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 1:30:03 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a 10 year old SRK I'm gonna carry on my belt. Good all around SHTF knife.
But I might buy a dagger for close in backup. Attach it to my mag chest carrier.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 12:43:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I like the small TDI knife.
View Quote

Absolutely.  I like it as a back-up knife. Or a back-up to my back-up.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 12:57:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Spartan CQB

Similar to Benchmade SOCP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A mother fucker shanker

https://i.imgur.com/DIDER9H.jpg

Battle tested

https://i.imgur.com/2CKNs6F.jpg

Info please @Star_Scream

Spartan CQB

Similar to Benchmade SOCP.

Thanks.  Just ordered the 440C steel Benchmade version.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 7:29:19 PM EDT
[#37]
How are y'all sharping a dagger?  I had a Benchmade Infidel and sold it because I couldn't use my Lansky to sharpen it. I've tried free hand sharping, I just end up with a ruined blade.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 7:30:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Was running a Toor Raider, would not recommend for that application.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Hmm, Toor Raider.  They have some interesting looking knives.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 8:00:28 PM EDT
[#40]
I'd go with Mora; sharp, cheap, lightweight cutting tool.

Usually 3/4 tang and not intended for abuse. That's the downside.

Link Posted: 8/18/2020 8:05:47 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a dagger on my PC and it mounts in the Molle, Best thing on there incase I need to go hands on it is right where I need it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 8:07:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

And charge a ton for it. Bleh.
View Quote
Nothing wrong with 440B and 440C. They're some of the more rust resistant of the stainless steels, hold a good edge and easy to sharpen.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 8:10:59 PM EDT
[#43]
So this one was mentioned a couple times.  I not sure it's what I want, but its pretty sexy.  Might get it for switch up.

Link Posted: 8/18/2020 8:13:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Keep the knife on your belt.  You want to have it on you at all times.  Not just on your armor.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 8:33:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Shivworks Push Dagger or Clinch Pick could be interesting choices for "Get off me" knives.

Push Dagger

Clinch Pick

I have no experience with either, but I don't think I saw them suggested yet. Could be for a good reason.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 8:34:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Hmm, Toor Raider.  They have some interesting looking knives.
View Quote

The quality is great other than it was incredibly dull out of the box. Handle extremely slick as I have the first gen, its also very small, torque created on the blade out levers the purchase available on the handle if that makes sense. Other than that they seem to make some awesome stuff, I would not hesistate to order another model.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 8:40:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 8:49:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hell yeah....I got one, my daughter likes it. I bought one for my son to put on his plate carrier.
Seen vids where they beat the hell out of it and still held up.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#49]
BBT

I’ve got an old (circa 2001) Benchmade Nimriouvs I think I’m gonna use for mine.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 2:32:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Keep the knife on your belt.  You want to have it on you at all times.  Not just on your armor.
View Quote

Large fixed blade knife on belt WILL get hung up on your plate carrier.   I guess you could mount it horizontally but that seems gimmicky to me.

If I need a large fixed blade knife, I need my plate carrier.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top