BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 7:33:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was sitting here thinking how a polar bear got loose in Wales (UK). Then I read the article. Didn’t know there was a Wales, Alaska.
View Quote

Same. Only reason I clicked the thread. If it had said Alaska I would have just figured "par for the course" and scrolled on.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 7:33:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yes, Alaska Commercial (I used to contract to do work for them my buddy still does it now) used to carry piles of firearms and ammo,  they always stocked the common stuff people wanted plus a lot of "new" cartridge/firearms..Alaska commercial had been  one of the biggest fur trading stores/company in Alaska, even back when it was all Russian land/country/stores....There is a long list of big companies that were from the Alaska commercial banner such as kohls, Nordstroms, bagdad tires....NC machinery..and many more...
View Quote
I do recall the natives liked the small calibers because they didn't fuck up the furs.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

9 has not nor has ever been, a death ray do all. But if you want a 9 to use against the apex predator, then go on ahead. People have killed bears using 22LR, you going to switch to that instead or is common sense that just because you can never meant that you always should ring a bell?

YMMV, but in apex territory lol, no. I have a safe full of 9's and would still walk into the nearest FFL and get the right gun with the right caliber for the right job. But in a sense you are right, a 9 would be better than nothing at all...until I found a shop with a 10mm G20 and hopefully in Gen 5.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

9 has not nor has ever been, a death ray do all. But if you want a 9 to use against the apex predator, then go on ahead. People have killed bears using 22LR, you going to switch to that instead or is common sense that just because you can never meant that you always should ring a bell?

YMMV, but in apex territory lol, no. I have a safe full of 9's and would still walk into the nearest FFL and get the right gun with the right caliber for the right job. But in a sense you are right, a 9 would be better than nothing at all...until I found a shop with a 10mm G20 and hopefully in Gen 5.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/defense-against-bears-with-pistols-97-success-rate-37-incidents-by-caliber/

Summary for the know calibers:

9mm – seven documented cases, all successful
.38 Special –  four documented cases, three successful, one failure
.357 magnum – nine documented cases, eight successful, one failure
.40 S&W  – five documented cases, all successful
10mm – six documented cases, all successful
.44 magnum – 37 documented cases, all successful
.45 Long Colt – 2 cases, successful, this includes the .45 Colt/.410 revolver..

I'd suggest getting hits on the bear is the main priority. I don't think 9mm is the optimal choice but it would be better then some magnum you can't shoot well. A well set up 10 is probably the best choice.

Link Posted: 1/18/2023 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think people sometimes forget that Polar Bears are the only truly carnivorous bear.  Most other bears (including Grizzlies) are omnivores and seem to mostly eat plants (with some estimates as high as 90% of their diet), and only occasionally eat meat.  Polar bears are apparently considered "hyper-carnivorus" and eat almost no plant material at all.  Plus, they actively hunt for most of their food - meaning that hunting/stalking is an ingrained behavior.  For most other bears, hunting is a very occasional thing, with foraging being the main source of food.

I wouldn't want to be chased by ANY large angry bear - but the polar bear definitely seems to be the most potentially dangerous to man.

View Quote
they have been known to find smaller whales which end up trapped in small open leads and kill them
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 9:30:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 9:45:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/defense-against-bears-with-pistols-97-success-rate-37-incidents-by-caliber/

I'd suggest getting hits on the bear is the main priority. I don't think 9mm is the optimal choice but it would be better then some magnum you can't shoot well. A well set up 10 is probably the best choice.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

9mm – seven documented cases, all successful
.38 Special –  four documented cases, three successful, one failure
.357 magnum – nine documented cases, eight successful, one failure
.40 S&W  – five documented cases, all successful
10mm – six documented cases, all successful
.44 magnum – 37 documented cases, all successful
.45 Long Colt – 2 cases, successful, this includes the .45 Colt/.410 revolver..

Last time I looked through that some of the failures showed no evidence of hitting the animal.

2 hits in the A zone at 7 yards with 270gr bullet at 950fps.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 9:48:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well, there apparently were polar bears in Scotland at one point:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/default_content/12471338.40-000-year-old-bear-found-scotlands-longest-cave/
View Quote

Did I miss where it said it was from a polar bear?
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 9:55:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Getting hits on anything is always the priority regardless of what caliber, magnums were not the topic though so that argument isn't the case. So back to 10mm we go because the topic is about bears to defend against.

Do it right the first time and choose wisely.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 10:01:21 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote
It's all fun and games until it's your turn in the center.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 10:01:56 PM EDT
[#10]

id munch either one or both at the same time
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 10:14:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Last time I looked through that some of the failures showed no evidence of hitting the animal.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/IMG_20230118_135032_jpg-2677223.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

9mm   seven documented cases, all successful
.38 Special    four documented cases, three successful, one failure
.357 magnum   nine documented cases, eight successful, one failure
.40 S&W    five documented cases, all successful
10mm   six documented cases, all successful
.44 magnum   37 documented cases, all successful
.45 Long Colt   2 cases, successful, this includes the .45 Colt/.410 revolver..

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/IMG_20230118_135032_jpg-2677223.JPG
ok add 1 partial failure to 44mag for my 4 buddies at Illiamna who would have got chewed up if they didn't have a 44mag AND a 12ga with slug/Buckshot
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 10:21:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

IIRC she was being followed, and looped around to ambush it, and put multiple rounds through the ear.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a real story of a Canadian trapper, female, who took down a grizzly with a single shot .22lr.  

The bear charged her and she waited till it was close enough to fire her shot, right in the eye.  Dropped the son of bitch, too.  

Most people would shit themselves in that situation.  Self included.

IIRC she was being followed, and looped around to ambush it, and put multiple rounds through the ear.

If we're talking about Bella Twin; yes, it wasn't charging her. It was sniffing around but coming closer. She knew exactly where to shoot it in the head. Single shot .22 Long IIRC. Not even .22LR.

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/06/bella-twin-the-22-used-to-take-the-1953-world-record-grizzly-and-more/#axzz7qnnjRDWf
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 10:22:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
How common is it that they venture that close to a town ? Once there is it illegal to shoot it after it has chased several people ?

View Quote

Not often. The problem is that polar bears have no other competition, and thus, act as an apex predeator does./quote]

Polar bears are always coming into villages in coastal AK.
Regular patrols are done.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 12:04:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, there apparently were polar bears in Scotland at one point:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/default_content/12471338.40-000-year-old-bear-found-scotlands-longest-cave/

Oops- distracted posting!  I was looking at this article https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/mystery-of-the-polar-bear-whose-remains-were-found-in-scotland-793145.html

This article references a polar bear, and appears to be more recent (when the bones were deposited).

You are correct that the first article indicates some uncertainty as to the exact species of bear in that find.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top