Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/23/2021 3:49:06 AM EDT
https://reclaimthenet.org/lapd-used-data-from-tool-that-enables-secret-online-spying/
ETA: Link fixed. I guess I thought I had copied the link but the last one I copied was still in the clipboard! DOH!

Police caught using online spy tool to plot “pre-crimes”
Increasingly common.

By Ken Macon
   Posted 12:38 pm

Tech startup Voyager Labs helps law enforcement agencies use what you post on social media and who you interact with to predict whether you have or “plan to” commit a crime. It is one of a growing number of companies that claim they can use social media analysis to help predict and solve crimes and has opened many questions about privacy.

Non-profit organization Brennan Center obtained documents through freedom of information requests that revealed the strategies Voyager uses violate the first amendment protections. For instance, the software uses posts about Islam and social media usernames indicating Arab pride as signs of potential inclination towards extremism. But they can also be used to target any group.

Additionally, according to the documents, obtained by The Guardian, the company uses questionable processes to access data on social media, and even enables law enforcement officers to infiltrate groups and private accounts using fake personas.

The company started nine years ago and has offices all over the world including New York, Washington DC, and Israel. The company is one of a growing number of tech firms exploring social media analytics for use in law enforcement. Others include Media Sonar, Palantir, PredPol, and Geofeedia.

The technologies provided by these tech firms are attractive to law enforcement, because they promise to automate and expedite the process of preventing crime. The documents obtained by the Brennan Center show that LAPD has been trialing Voyager Labs software since 2019. The department has also worked or considered working with other such companies.

According to experts, such kinds of software are a privacy nightmare for the public and potentially illegal as they criminalize otherwise legal behavior such as associating with certain people.

The documents revealed that Voyager uses a “guilty-by-association” model. The Guardian’s coverage of the story explained:
“Voyager software hoovers up all the public information available on a person or topic – including posts, connections and even emojis – analyzes and indexes it and then, in some cases, cross-references it with non-public information.

“Internal documents show the technology creates a topography of a person’s entire social media existence, specifically looking at users’ posts as well as their connections, and how strong each of those relationships are.

“The software visualizes how a person’s direct connections are connected to each other, where all of those connections work, and any “indirect connections” (people with at least four mutual friends). Voyager also detects any indirect connections between a subject and other people the customer has previously searched for.”

New York University’s data journalism professor and author of “Artificial Intelligence: How Computers Misunderstand the World” Meredith Broussard likened Voyager’s systems to the systems used for online ad targeting.

Online ad targeting systems group people into “affinity groups” based on shared interests.

“So instead of grouping people into buckets like ‘pet owners’, what Voyager seems to be doing is putting people into ‘buckets’ of likely criminals,” Broussard explained.

She added: “It’s a ‘guilt by association’ system.”

Voyager’s software supplements the publicly available data with information it acquires through warrants and subpoenas and what it calls an “active persona.”

The company obtains data such as private text messages and location of a subject through warrants and subpoenas obtained by law enforcement agencies.

John Hamasaki, a criminal defense lawyer and member of the police commission in San Francisco, said: “The degree to which private information is being seized, purportedly lawfully under search warrants, is just way over-broad.”

He added that the fact that the police can now analyze the data through AI technology provided by companies such as Voyager raises civil liberties and privacy concerns.

The documents do not contain many details on the so-called premium “active persona” service. The company states that clients can use “avatars” for the purposes of collecting and analyzing “information that is otherwise inaccessible” on several networks.

Voyager claims the service can be used to access encrypted information on Telegram, and a 2019 roadmap showed that it was planning on rolling out the “active persona” feature on WhatsApp and Instagram.
View Quote

This is just as irrational as people going to mediums to have their palms read or horoscope reading to predict your day. It's literally that dumb.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 3:54:22 AM EDT
[#1]

Welcome to clown dystopia.

^writing that probably fucked my gudbugman score even more
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 3:57:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Welcome to clown dystopia.

^writing that probably * my gudbugman score even more
View Quote

Clown dystopia, where the software the banks use to determine if you get a loan are now used by the cops to determine if they crawl all over you until they find something they can arrest you for!
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 4:15:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Minority Report
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 4:17:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Minority Report
View Quote

I thought the same thing.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 4:17:53 AM EDT
[#5]
It's not really a list, just a collection of names in a thread.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 4:19:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 4:22:25 AM EDT
[#7]
So the fake Twitter account I just created (and only social media account ever) with a username of a metric cartridge - I should probably nuke.
I knew I should’ve just used Ryan8940373634
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 4:45:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Minority Report
View Quote

Sure, you`ll rot in Hell with a Halo, but you will prove pre-crime works.

The same people that use to be against this (liberals) are the ones cheering it on...Fools to a man.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 4:46:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So the fake Twitter account I just created (and only social media account ever) with a username of a metric cartridge - I should probably nuke.
I knew I should’ve just used Ryan8940373634
View Quote

Just make fake twitter, facebook pages, staff it with entirely fake info, choke the beast.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 4:58:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Growing up, it wasn't that tough to identify the kids we called "jail bound".
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 5:03:25 AM EDT
[#11]
@FlashMan-7k

I think you posted the wrong link in the OP
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 5:09:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Most cops I know barely know how to use a computer.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 6:54:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I can predict criminals by the shit box they drive.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 7:06:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I guess reviewing a persons criminal record is considered rassis now?
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 7:08:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Those large groups of folks in the greater bay area that have been on a multi-night crime spree better think twice about their next heist...
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 7:14:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Anyone who doesn't realize this will be used against people with wrong think is naive.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 7:22:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/23/2021 7:25:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/23/2021 7:28:19 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57330/list-1131198.gif

LIST PRIDE WORLDWIDE
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 7:28:34 AM EDT
[#20]
The 'Protect Act' allows US federal overseas agents to investigate and prosecute US citizens involved in child molestation in other countries (mostly SE Asia.)
There is no written agreement with the other nation (if they informally agree to allow it,) and due process is simply ignored (i.e. warrantless forensic searches/surveillance of private residences, renditions, etc.)

Watch 'The Pedophile Hunters' on Amazon if you want to learn more.

I'm fine with that.  I'm also fine with identifying and prosecuting terrorists - be they foreign or domestic.  We live in a world where giving up a little liberty is necessary if we want to protect our nation.
And yes, I see the potential for abuse, and it makes me a little fearful. But I ask myself: "Should Americans who travel overseas to abuse children have any of the protections the Constitution provides?  Should terrorists who mean to kill innocent citizens have those protections?"

My answer is a resounding "No."

Flame on...
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 7:31:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The 'Protect Act' allows US federal overseas agents to investigate and prosecute US citizens involved in child molestation in other countries (mostly SE Asia.)
There is no written agreement with the other nation (if they informally agree to allow it,) and due process is simply ignored (i.e. warrantless forensic searches/surveillance of private residences, renditions, etc.)

I'm fine with that.  I'm also fine with identifying and prosecuting terrorists - be they foreign or domestic.  We live in a world where giving up a little liberty is necessary if we want to protect our nation.
And yes, I see the potential for abuse, and it makes me a little fearful. But I ask myself: "Should Americans who travel overseas to abuse children have any of the protections the Constitution provides?  Should terrorists who mean to kill innocent citizens have those protections?"

Flame on...
View Quote

[Benjamin Franklin quote]
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 7:44:21 AM EDT
[#22]
I've gone into some of this here before and don't have the energy to repeat myself but I worked these types software tools, in a SOF environment against Jihadis, from 2010ish up until about 3 years ago. It's an incredible capability and if you're not intimately familiar with these tools it almost seems to be some type of science fiction fantasy.

I can only imagine how powerful these tools have become with the USGs significant efforts into expanding their AI capabilities.  See PROJECT MAVEN.

When one ponders these types of deep and accurate analytical tools and then layers in the fact that the USG is now treating citizens as terrorists under the Patriot act it becomes very apparent, very quickly that we are entering into a totalitarian form of government.  That's not hyperbole imo, it's a fact. If nothing else look to what's happening to those parents who challenged CRT and the FBI.

Words have meaning, especially when uttered by a POTUS. When Biden said that there is a war on "domestic terror" it should have stunned this nation. It didn't which in and of itself is terrifying
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 7:47:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I bet if I had unrestricted access to Facebook I could look at the accounts of local criminals and predict that many of their Facebook friends are involved in drugs and theft
View Quote

In my experience you could, but only because they're using Facebook to sell drugs and stolen goods
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 8:08:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Hope they don’t use it on themselves that won’t end well!
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 8:15:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 8:23:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Flame on...
View Quote

Power corrupts.  Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Wonder why the DoJ is raiding people who speak up at school board meetings?

Link Posted: 11/23/2021 8:24:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Flame on...
View Quote

What is the definition that you use for "terrorist", in particular domestic terrorist?

I was active duty in JSOC, in Ops, when the Patriot act was passed. It's something to see a group of people who perhaps are collectively the most aggressive war fighters on the planet look at each other and pretty much say…."wow, that's going to come back and bite us…."

You're naive if you don't understand how these sets of laws and authorities are being used against political opponents.  You should be terrified.

Link Posted: 11/23/2021 8:25:49 AM EDT
[#28]
What I want to say violates the CoC and would get me on another list
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 8:27:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 8:49:18 AM EDT
[#30]
And yet, it's still the Liberals that are the Violent Ones.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 8:52:36 AM EDT
[#31]
BRING IT ON
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 8:54:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Psycho-Pass was not supposed to be a documentary.

Edit: Or How to manual.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 8:57:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Then they can be there waiting next time 20-80 thieves target a store.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 8:59:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 9:26:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Isn't that like  "profiling?"  Using characteristics of some group or other as an excuse to harass, watch, follow, accost someone who appears to fit into that group?
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 9:54:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
There's some program probation departments use that "predicts the chance at reoffending" through the use of questions, not trolling social media.

There was an old study that tried to make a connection between tattoos and criminality.

I bet if I had unrestricted access to Facebook I could look at the accounts of local criminals and predict that many of their Facebook friends are involved in drugs and theft
View Quote

Face tattoo= 99.58% felony record.
neck tattoo= 95% felony record
hand tattoo=90% felony record

ankle tattoo on woman= 93% chance she got drunk a lot in college and 90% chance she puts out on first date.

Link Posted: 11/23/2021 9:58:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

What is the definition that you use for "terrorist", in particular domestic terrorist?

I was active duty in JSOC, in Ops, when the Patriot act was passed. It's something to see a group of people who perhaps are collectively the most aggressive war fighters on the planet look at each other and pretty much say…."wow, that's going to come back and bite us…."

You're naive if you don't understand how these sets of laws and authorities are being used against political opponents.  You should be terrified.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flame on...

ive said it before ill say it again(most likely, unless i get hellfired first).
the #1 greatest threat to a sitting president is... the leading opponent in the election against them.
we have lost 4 presidents to gunfire while they were in office, how many have been un-elected?

Link Posted: 11/23/2021 10:02:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I can predict criminals by the shit box they drive.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/23/2021 10:03:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2002-jun-30-bk-radosh30-story.html

Police caught using online spy tool to plot “pre-crimes”
Increasingly common.

By Ken Macon
   Posted 12:38 pm

Tech startup Voyager Labs helps law enforcement agencies use what you post on social media and who you interact with to predict whether you have or “plan to” commit a crime. It is one of a growing number of companies that claim they can use social media analysis to help predict and solve crimes and has opened many questions about privacy.

Non-profit organization Brennan Center obtained documents through freedom of information requests that revealed the strategies Voyager uses violate the first amendment protections. For instance, the software uses posts about Islam and social media usernames indicating Arab pride as signs of potential inclination towards extremism. But they can also be used to target any group.

Additionally, according to the documents, obtained by The Guardian, the company uses questionable processes to access data on social media, and even enables law enforcement officers to infiltrate groups and private accounts using fake personas.

The company started nine years ago and has offices all over the world including New York, Washington DC, and Israel. The company is one of a growing number of tech firms exploring social media analytics for use in law enforcement. Others include Media Sonar, Palantir, PredPol, and Geofeedia.

The technologies provided by these tech firms are attractive to law enforcement, because they promise to automate and expedite the process of preventing crime. The documents obtained by the Brennan Center show that LAPD has been trialing Voyager Labs software since 2019. The department has also worked or considered working with other such companies.

According to experts, such kinds of software are a privacy nightmare for the public and potentially illegal as they criminalize otherwise legal behavior such as associating with certain people.

The documents revealed that Voyager uses a “guilty-by-association” model. The Guardian’s coverage of the story explained:
“Voyager software hoovers up all the public information available on a person or topic – including posts, connections and even emojis – analyzes and indexes it and then, in some cases, cross-references it with non-public information.

“Internal documents show the technology creates a topography of a person’s entire social media existence, specifically looking at users’ posts as well as their connections, and how strong each of those relationships are.

“The software visualizes how a person’s direct connections are connected to each other, where all of those connections work, and any “indirect connections” (people with at least four mutual friends). Voyager also detects any indirect connections between a subject and other people the customer has previously searched for.”

New York University’s data journalism professor and author of “Artificial Intelligence: How Computers Misunderstand the World” Meredith Broussard likened Voyager’s systems to the systems used for online ad targeting.

Online ad targeting systems group people into “affinity groups” based on shared interests.

“So instead of grouping people into buckets like ‘pet owners’, what Voyager seems to be doing is putting people into ‘buckets’ of likely criminals,” Broussard explained.

She added: “It’s a ‘guilt by association’ system.”

Voyager’s software supplements the publicly available data with information it acquires through warrants and subpoenas and what it calls an “active persona.”

The company obtains data such as private text messages and location of a subject through warrants and subpoenas obtained by law enforcement agencies.

John Hamasaki, a criminal defense lawyer and member of the police commission in San Francisco, said: “The degree to which private information is being seized, purportedly lawfully under search warrants, is just way over-broad.”

He added that the fact that the police can now analyze the data through AI technology provided by companies such as Voyager raises civil liberties and privacy concerns.

The documents do not contain many details on the so-called premium “active persona” service. The company states that clients can use “avatars” for the purposes of collecting and analyzing “information that is otherwise inaccessible” on several networks.

Voyager claims the service can be used to access encrypted information on Telegram, and a 2019 roadmap showed that it was planning on rolling out the “active persona” feature on WhatsApp and Instagram.
View Quote

This is just as irrational as people going to mediums to have their palms read or horoscope reading to predict your day. It's literally that dumb.
View Quote

which of course means they will apply it eventually
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 10:05:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Most cops I know barely know how to use a computer.
View Quote

That's why the article is talking about a company selling it's services to cops.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 10:07:14 AM EDT
[#41]
and even enables law enforcement officers to infiltrate groups and private accounts using fake personas.

So is this now a call out thread??
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 10:07:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Pretty sure Top Men are trying to figure out how to do that with everyone on this site.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 10:08:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Flame on...
View Quote

DEFINE TERRORIST? Since it seems that the FBI is now flagging soccer moms who are against CRT as potential terrorists.  Basically when you have a great big hammer with no limitations, everything starts looking like a nail sticking out.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 10:09:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Isn't that the same company the ARFCOM mods use for their lists?

Link Posted: 11/23/2021 10:11:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Here’s an amazing “pre-crime” tool:

When you arrest a guy for attempting to murder a woman by running her over with an SUV, and then you release him with no bail and hand him the keys to that SUV…
View Quote

Yet if you were anywhere near the capital on January 6, you have no civil rights at all and are thrown into a dark dungeon and beaten daily.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 10:12:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Those large groups of folks in the greater bay area that have been on a multi-night crime spree better think twice about their next heist...
View Quote

Yeah, I’m sure the Walnut Creek PD are pulling in tons of overtime to track those miscreants down.

TC
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 10:17:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Flame on...
View Quote

Those with (any) power ultimately abuse that power. No due process, no human rights—regardless of the crime, regardless of the venue.

I’ve already been labeled a Domestic Terrorist due to my gender, religion and skin color. The State won’t hesitate to abuse it’s authority to eliminate me and my ilk to protect itself.

TC
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 10:18:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Words have meaning, especially when uttered by a POTUS. When Biden said that there is a war on "domestic terror" it should have stunned this nation. It didn't which in and of itself is terrifying
View Quote

Half the nation agrees with him.

TC
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 10:20:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

[Like]

TC
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 10:23:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Fantasy becomes real...

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top