Quoted:
Minority Report

I thought the same thing.

My first thought as well.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 12:24:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is it too late to delete the memes I've posted? Don't want to get pre-crimed for having a dark sense of humor.

Eh probably too late. I'll post more then. May as well go all in if they are going all Minority Report on us.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/504436/gunbroker_memes_1637706857304_jpg-2180292.JPG
View Quote

based fatalismpill
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 12:26:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Minority Report
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/26/2021 12:30:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Probably be easier to just use census data and county tax appraiser home value maps.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 12:33:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Just make fake twitter, facebook pages, staff it with entirely fake info, choke the beast.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So the fake Twitter account I just created (and only social media account ever) with a username of a metric cartridge - I should probably nuke.
I knew I should’ve just used Ryan8940373634

Just make fake twitter, facebook pages, staff it with entirely fake info, choke the beast.

And this may be the answer to a lot of other internet problems also. Overload the system.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 12:36:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Anyone who doesn't realize this will be is used against people with wrong think is naive.
View Quote
FIFY
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 12:42:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The 'Protect Act' allows US federal overseas agents to investigate and prosecute US citizens involved in child molestation in other countries (mostly SE Asia.)
There is no written agreement with the other nation (if they informally agree to allow it,) and due process is simply ignored (i.e. warrantless forensic searches/surveillance of private residences, renditions, etc.)

Watch 'The Pedophile Hunters' on Amazon if you want to learn more.

I'm fine with that.  I'm also fine with identifying and prosecuting terrorists - be they foreign or domestic.  We live in a world where giving up a little liberty is necessary if we want to protect our nation.
And yes, I see the potential for abuse, and it makes me a little fearful. But I ask myself: "Should Americans who travel overseas to abuse children have any of the protections the Constitution provides?  Should terrorists who mean to kill innocent citizens have those protections?"

My answer is a resounding "No."

Flame on...
View Quote

While you are welcome to your opinion you are not welcome to my freedom. And I don't care how bad the criminals are you wish to catch. At some point those claiming to be after criminals become worse than those they are after.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 12:53:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

based fatalismpill
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is it too late to delete the memes I've posted? Don't want to get pre-crimed for having a dark sense of humor.

Eh probably too late. I'll post more then. May as well go all in if they are going all Minority Report on us.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/504436/gunbroker_memes_1637706857304_jpg-2180292.JPG

based fatalismpill
All of arfcom is probably already on a precrime list. All they need to do is ban things we enjoy, then they can arrest us.

May as well go down in style.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/26/2021 12:56:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

And this may be the answer to a lot of other internet problems also. Overload the system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So the fake Twitter account I just created (and only social media account ever) with a username of a metric cartridge - I should probably nuke.
I knew I should’ve just used Ryan8940373634

It's already overloaded.

In the obama era they were doing stuff like using metadata from cell phones to decide who to murder with a drone outside of the geographical boundaries of the US.

IE TPTB will just use whatever stupid thing that comes along as a flag, and if some genius can convince them they know what they're doing (when in reality they can't) ... "duhh well, dah expertz told us this was how to find da bad peoplez."
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 11:59:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's already overloaded.

In the obama era they were doing stuff like using metadata from cell phones to decide who to murder with a drone outside of the geographical boundaries of the US.

IE TPTB will just use whatever stupid thing that comes along as a flag, and if some genius can convince them they know what they're doing (when in reality they can't) ... "duhh well, dah expertz told us this was how to find da bad peoplez."
View Quote

But they can't imprison all of us, right?
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 6:58:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's already overloaded.

No, they can just make enough examples to scare everyone else into line. They know good and well to avoid making everyone mad enough to push back at the same time.

Besides that, we already live in a panopticon. The only thing missing is the physical bars and prison guards close enough to put hands on you.

The removal of all privacy is a key part of being imprisoned.
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 7:00:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The 'Protect Act' allows US federal overseas agents to investigate and prosecute US citizens involved in child molestation in other countries (mostly SE Asia.)
There is no written agreement with the other nation (if they informally agree to allow it,) and due process is simply ignored (i.e. warrantless forensic searches/surveillance of private residences, renditions, etc.)

Watch 'The Pedophile Hunters' on Amazon if you want to learn more.

I'm fine with that.  I'm also fine with identifying and prosecuting terrorists - be they foreign or domestic.  We live in a world where giving up a little liberty is necessary if we want to protect our nation.
And yes, I see the potential for abuse, and it makes me a little fearful. But I ask myself: "Should Americans who travel overseas to abuse children have any of the protections the Constitution provides?  Should terrorists who mean to kill innocent citizens have those protections?"

My answer is a resounding "No."

Flame on...
View Quote
And when it is turned on you, you will have no ability to change your answer.
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 7:10:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
https://reclaimthenet.org/lapd-used-data-from-tool-that-enables-secret-online-spying/
ETA: Link fixed. I guess I thought I had copied the link but the last one I copied was still in the clipboard! DOH!

Police caught using online spy tool to plot “pre-crimes”
Increasingly common.

By Ken Macon
   Posted 12:38 pm

Tech startup Voyager Labs helps law enforcement agencies use what you post on social media and who you interact with to predict whether you have or “plan to” commit a crime. It is one of a growing number of companies that claim they can use social media analysis to help predict and solve crimes and has opened many questions about privacy.

Non-profit organization Brennan Center obtained documents through freedom of information requests that revealed the strategies Voyager uses violate the first amendment protections. For instance, the software uses posts about Islam and social media usernames indicating Arab pride as signs of potential inclination towards extremism. But they can also be used to target any group.

Additionally, according to the documents, obtained by The Guardian, the company uses questionable processes to access data on social media, and even enables law enforcement officers to infiltrate groups and private accounts using fake personas.

The company started nine years ago and has offices all over the world including New York, Washington DC, and Israel. The company is one of a growing number of tech firms exploring social media analytics for use in law enforcement. Others include Media Sonar, Palantir, PredPol, and Geofeedia.

The technologies provided by these tech firms are attractive to law enforcement, because they promise to automate and expedite the process of preventing crime. The documents obtained by the Brennan Center show that LAPD has been trialing Voyager Labs software since 2019. The department has also worked or considered working with other such companies.

According to experts, such kinds of software are a privacy nightmare for the public and potentially illegal as they criminalize otherwise legal behavior such as associating with certain people.

The documents revealed that Voyager uses a “guilty-by-association” model. The Guardian’s coverage of the story explained:
“Voyager software hoovers up all the public information available on a person or topic – including posts, connections and even emojis – analyzes and indexes it and then, in some cases, cross-references it with non-public information.

“Internal documents show the technology creates a topography of a person’s entire social media existence, specifically looking at users’ posts as well as their connections, and how strong each of those relationships are.

“The software visualizes how a person’s direct connections are connected to each other, where all of those connections work, and any “indirect connections” (people with at least four mutual friends). Voyager also detects any indirect connections between a subject and other people the customer has previously searched for.”

New York University’s data journalism professor and author of “Artificial Intelligence: How Computers Misunderstand the World” Meredith Broussard likened Voyager’s systems to the systems used for online ad targeting.

Online ad targeting systems group people into “affinity groups” based on shared interests.

“So instead of grouping people into buckets like ‘pet owners’, what Voyager seems to be doing is putting people into ‘buckets’ of likely criminals,” Broussard explained.

She added: “It’s a ‘guilt by association’ system.”

Voyager’s software supplements the publicly available data with information it acquires through warrants and subpoenas and what it calls an “active persona.”

The company obtains data such as private text messages and location of a subject through warrants and subpoenas obtained by law enforcement agencies.

John Hamasaki, a criminal defense lawyer and member of the police commission in San Francisco, said: “The degree to which private information is being seized, purportedly lawfully under search warrants, is just way over-broad.”

He added that the fact that the police can now analyze the data through AI technology provided by companies such as Voyager raises civil liberties and privacy concerns.

The documents do not contain many details on the so-called premium “active persona” service. The company states that clients can use “avatars” for the purposes of collecting and analyzing “information that is otherwise inaccessible” on several networks.

Voyager claims the service can be used to access encrypted information on Telegram, and a 2019 roadmap showed that it was planning on rolling out the “active persona” feature on WhatsApp and Instagram.
View Quote

This is just as irrational as people going to mediums to have their palms read or horoscope reading to predict your day. It's literally that dumb.
View Quote

It's probably very rational.

Go look at a drug dealer/murderer FB page and look at his gf/victims FB. The signs are there.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 9:11:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No, they can just make enough examples to scare everyone else into line. They know good and well to avoid making everyone mad enough to push back at the same time.

Besides that, we already live in a panopticon. The only thing missing is the physical bars and prison guards close enough to put hands on you.

The removal of all privacy is a key part of being imprisoned.
View Quote

Most Americans won't complain about the prison as long as it has decent internet and plentiful food.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 5:21:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Most Americans won't complain about the prison as long as it has decent internet and plentiful food.
View Quote

It’s working in Australia.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#16]
A worldwide, foolproof cage

We were told about this in the '90's.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 5:38:53 PM EDT
[#17]
looks like most of us here will be on yet another list...
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 5:51:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

In my experience you could, but only because they're using Facebook to sell drugs and stolen goods
View Quote

I once made a case on an  idiot chopping stolen motorcycles because the dude gave a virtual tour of his garage with the stack of stolen license plates and parts he  had for sale.

The guy had swiped over 200 motorcycles in a three year period.  The fun part was showing his parole officer his Instagram posts about his sex fantasies involving her.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 6:04:42 PM EDT
[#19]
The documents revealed that Voyager uses a “guilty-by-association” model. The Guardian’s coverage of the story explained:
“Voyager software hoovers up all the public information available on a person or topic – including posts, connections and even emojis – analyzes and indexes it and then, in some cases, cross-references it with non-public information.

The documents do not contain many details on the so-called premium “active persona” service. The company states that clients can use “avatars” for the purposes of collecting and analyzing “information that is otherwise inaccessible” on several networks.

Voyager claims the service can be used to access encrypted information on Telegram, and a 2019 roadmap showed that it was planning on rolling out the “active persona” feature on WhatsApp and Instagram.
View Quote

1. A web crawler for social media that outputs stuff on to a graphic.

2. Sounds like they manually create sockpuppet accounts to get access to private telegram channels.

I'm kind of jealous, I wish I had slapped something like this together, called it a product and then tipped off some shitlib nonprofit like the "Brennan Center" that to give me free advertising.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 8:35:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Democrat Party affiliation is the best indicator.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 8:59:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What I want to say violates the CoC and would get me on another list
View Quote

I think you just put yourself on a "pre-criminal" watch list.

Did I just get on the list, too?
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 9:02:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just another reason to not use social media. Is anyone surprised, social media has no gains. Use it and lose your privacy. what’s the point, being more connected? Nope, everything shows more depression and narcissistic behaviors with users. It’s a liability at best and at worse damages your well being.
View Quote

This site fits within the broad definition of social media.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 9:06:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I don't see why not.

If you carry the adult pacifier and pocket snitch and commit the 'crime'  of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, you can be subject to a search warrant:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2021/08/26/google-gave-feds-data-on-phones-located-at-kenosha-riot-arsons/
Google geofence data was given to police from two arson sites during the Kenosha riots, though there were individuals trying to stop the fires within the vicinity. Scott Olson/Getty Images

A year after the Kenosha riots, following the police shooting of Black citizen Jacob Blake, Google has handed over data on any phones that were located in the vicinity of two arson attacks during the public disorder, even though some protesters were trying to stop the fires.

In the latest example of police applying for a so-called digital dragnet, just-unsealed court orders reveal that Google was ordered to hand over data from users of any of its location services who were near a Kenosha library and museum that were set on fire during the August 2020 unrest. Known as geofence or reverse location warrants, they asked Google to scoop up information on any device at the sites over a period of two hours at the public library and 25 minutes at the Kenosha Dinosaur Discovery Museum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Will internet purchases be next?  If you buy a 2” x 8” nipple at Home Depot, and end caps at Lowe’s will that be a pipe bomb?  Or, is constructive intent grounds for a search warrant?

I don't see why not.

If you carry the adult pacifier and pocket snitch and commit the 'crime'  of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, you can be subject to a search warrant:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2021/08/26/google-gave-feds-data-on-phones-located-at-kenosha-riot-arsons/
Google geofence data was given to police from two arson sites during the Kenosha riots, though there were individuals trying to stop the fires within the vicinity. Scott Olson/Getty Images

A year after the Kenosha riots, following the police shooting of Black citizen Jacob Blake, Google has handed over data on any phones that were located in the vicinity of two arson attacks during the public disorder, even though some protesters were trying to stop the fires.

In the latest example of police applying for a so-called digital dragnet, just-unsealed court orders reveal that Google was ordered to hand over data from users of any of its location services who were near a Kenosha library and museum that were set on fire during the August 2020 unrest. Known as geofence or reverse location warrants, they asked Google to scoop up information on any device at the sites over a period of two hours at the public library and 25 minutes at the Kenosha Dinosaur Discovery Museum.

Too many people think negative talk about Google (and others) enabling tyrants with technology is conspiracy BS. It's not.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 9:43:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Too many people think negative talk about Google (and others) enabling tyrants with technology is conspiracy BS. It's not.
View Quote

And China is surely giving them cliffs notes on effectively using it! Don’t they have a social ranking app everyone has? Wrong think gets points deducted and places have score thresholds for patrons. Do something out of the party line-can’t shop at your favorite comrade store… or see comrade dentist..

I need to learn how to leave the house without a cell phone again and navigate with actual maps!

Link Posted: 12/11/2021 10:54:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I once made a case on an  idiot chopping stolen motorcycles because the dude gave a virtual tour of his garage with the stack of stolen license plates and parts he  had for sale.

The guy had swiped over 200 motorcycles in a three year period.  The fun part was showing his parole officer his Instagram posts about his sex fantasies involving her.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In my experience you could, but only because they're using Facebook to sell drugs and stolen goods

That's kinky!! Kinky is good, right???
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 7:45:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

And China is surely giving them cliffs notes on effectively using it! Don’t they have a social ranking app everyone has? Wrong think gets points deducted and places have score thresholds for patrons. Do something out of the party line-can’t shop at your favorite comrade store… or see comrade dentist..

I need to learn how to leave the house without a cell phone again and navigate with actual maps!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Um.

I think you might have that backwards. CCP hired google to make stuff for them. If anything, the CCP is taking notes *from google.*

Advertising targeting and tracking on the individual basis to create a social score and snitch network - that's google's thing.

Here, we use it to sell you CCP made plastic dog toys and push you adverts for anything you even begin to think of. There, they use it to track dissidents and make their lives miserable.

There's no way the people in our government don't want in on being allowed to openly use that set of toys and we already know they're back-ended into apple google and all the rest.

If the people that worked in the fusion centers were allowed to talk about how they use this stuff and what they do, it would likely result in a lot of underpants needing to be changed.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 8:43:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
There's some program probation departments use that "predicts the chance at reoffending" through the use of questions, not trolling social media.

There was an old study that tried to make a connection between tattoos and criminality.

I bet if I had unrestricted access to Facebook I could look at the accounts of local criminals and predict that many of their Facebook friends are involved in drugs and theft
View Quote

That could be a useful marketing tool for someone that does criminal law.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:12:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Psycho-Pass was not supposed to be a documentary.

Edit: Or How to manual.
View Quote

1984 was supposed to be a warning not a how to, and yet here we are.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:15:43 PM EDT
[#29]
I’m sorry, did we run out of criminals doing actual crime as of late?
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:17:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Sounds illegal. But who follows the fucking law anymore?
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:21:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Wow that one on the upper right had some serious boobs.

Hey. I have my priorities.
View All Quotes

@LesBaer45

The other 2 are guys so...
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 4:59:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Anyone who doesn't realize this will be used against people with wrong think is naive.
View Quote

Yes, and the capability to do so is not something in the far off future. It has been around for a few years.

Here's an article from a person who describes one use of the "profiling tool" technology and contrasts the example of insurance company usage of such tools to current practices in China. To people like him, it's a given (it's already being used) and a legal issue, because they know how the wealth is generated. The wealth is generated in social media through usage of information collected about the social life of each individual. It's very easy to see the variety of possible types and applications of "profiling tool":

https://blog.vlex.com/social-media-as-a-new-method-of-profiling-clients-under-insurance-law-dc9af7b90a54

Link Posted: 1/6/2022 6:02:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Back the blue
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 7:02:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 8:23:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Just the nerd version of Ms. Cleo.

Just as full of it.

I'd love to get labeled a 'pre-criminal' and sue the hell out of them for libel and/or slander.
View Quote
Oh, they are never going to tell you that you are a pre-criminal. They will use parallel construction to create a justification for your arrest. Your pre-criminal status will be classified and never revealed to the jury. In a police state only the state is innocent, the best the rest of us can hope for is a short sentence.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 7:10:04 PM EDT
[#36]
First this. Now a White House impenetrable wall fortress. Guess the list numbers were a bit disconcerting.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top