User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 1:29:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hunting them at night, under thermal/NV in Montana sounds like a fucking blast. Have rifle, will travel.
View Quote

Hope you got Cash Money, ‘cause you wanna Play…

You gots ta PAY $$$$$$$$$.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 1:35:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If it was a real problem, they would allow the populous to solve it.

Instead this is a "we want more money to talk about this issue without letting any of you solve it for free".
View Quote

Yep, nobody wants to solve it.

Too much money goes to those who study the problem.

Ranchers and land owners make money by charging people to remove their problem.

Let them breed.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 1:53:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My body is ready for increased bacon and porkchop consumption.

Unfortunately this. We could absolutely 100% wipe out the vast majority of feral hogs inside the USA in a year or less. No limit no permit no tags no restrictions - have at it. They'd disappear in a damn hurry.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Instead this is a "we want more money to talk about this issue without letting any of you solve it for free".

Unfortunately this. We could absolutely 100% wipe out the vast majority of feral hogs inside the USA in a year or less. No limit no permit no tags no restrictions - have at it. They'd disappear in a damn hurry.

I wouldn't bet on that. That's basically how it is in TX, you can hunt them from helicopters with machine guns and they're not decreasing numbers.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 1:54:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Cool. More pig hunting opportunities....

Yes, I know they hurt farmers and ranchers.... that was a mostly sarcastic comment.

View Quote

To bad Canada banned guns
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 1:55:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Dang.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 3:17:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I guess I need to head to ND, to my land this spring, and kill some pigs.

There is a wooded area of about 60-80 acres on the land, then the tillable land that is rented out.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 4:41:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Cool, I've never had a chance to go hog hunting. (Well, not that kind anyway.)

View Quote
My thoughts exactly.    I really don't think they could survive NH winters on their own, but if they show up here, I am ready.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 4:44:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Welcome to the Southern US yanks.

Our woods and fields are LOADED with those big bastards.
View Quote
And I would LOVE to come down and help you out with them, but it's a long trip.   It's on my bucket list, though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 7:20:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I wouldn't bet on that. That's basically how it is in TX, you can hunt them from helicopters with machine guns and they're not decreasing numbers.
View Quote

Topography and natural predators is going to play a roll as well. Here in MN, we have wolves and bears. In Southern and western MN, it is relatively flat with few brush or woodlands for them to hide. They could be controlled there if they appeared, and it was seriously addressed.  In northern MN, the deer hunters would put a hurt on them, but there is too much wilderness for full eradication without serious efforts, and even then might be difficult.

Link Posted: 1/21/2023 8:18:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Even using the term hunting demonstrates a defeated mindset.

There are not enough people killing pigs in Texas. Which has nothing to do with hunting.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 8:35:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Help US. The wild boars are killing our livelihood !! That will be a thousand dollars to hunt here sir plus 50 dollars for parking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Farmers and ranchers are still gonna sell hunts on their property. If they were truly a problem they’d be paying to have them removed

Help US. The wild boars are killing our livelihood !! That will be a thousand dollars to hunt here sir plus 50 dollars for parking.

It's funny, because it's true.

Fuck em.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 8:37:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My thoughts exactly.    I really don't think they could survive NH winters on their own, but if they show up here, I am ready.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cool, I've never had a chance to go hog hunting. (Well, not that kind anyway.)

They're here already.

https://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/wildlife/feral-hogs.html

The problem is their legal classification of escaped private property.

Link Posted: 1/21/2023 8:43:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wasn't there a thread about RCMP working undercover at US gun shows?
View Quote

Yes, they were in MT and I, sure plenty of other states.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 8:44:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Opening week Nov 23'  somewhere 3 hours north west of Toronto...........

Holy mackerel, bob, you see the size of that pig, eh
Nah, sorry buddy, I didnt.but you've been know to chase a few. Lol.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 8:45:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

The helicopter hunts are pretty interesting industry.  Expensive and fun .  But most cases, they have ZERO interest in actually exterminating population. If they did, they would put themselves out of business.  Nobody gonna pay 6k to ride around and not shoot pigs . They get treated just like any other financial resources. They get managed to the maximum benefit possible
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 8:48:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My body, my soul and my Ruger American Rifle are prepared.
View Quote

Mine too.

I'm actually suprised we don't have feral hogs here.  No huge hog farms but lots of people raise em for meat.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 8:51:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Like we have with wolves in MT? We can’t even hit the states’ harvest quota to manage those varmits. I am worried about these shit hogs.

As if the Californians aren’t ruining enough of our beautiful state.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 8:57:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There was a guy who ran a wild boar hunting operation about five hours south of here. Then he released the hogs.

Trust me these are Russian boar and they are well suited to surviving in cold weather. When these pigs reach the US, it won't be good.
View Quote

Sounds like an opportunity to invite 200 of your closest internet friends to visit, hand them an M1 Garand and a bandolier and go on a pig drive.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 8:57:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Needs more Freedom convoy.

1000 big rigs loaded up with Super Pigs and releasing them in Ottawa would be epic.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 8:58:28 AM EDT
[#20]

Hmm.  Let's import them here to control the deer population. We have less deer strikes and get free bacon. It's a win win!  

I'm joking of course. The deer aren't as destructive, except when they're hit on the road.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 9:03:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Trapping is waaaaaay more efficient at actually putting food on the table.
People don't have time to hunt when there's crops and livestock and firewood and so on to deal with.
If anyone is serious about prepping for the "zombie apocalypse", learn trapping.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of those were taken with traps.  Traps never sleep, never stop and have no remorse...
Trapping is waaaaaay more efficient at actually putting food on the table.
People don't have time to hunt when there's crops and livestock and firewood and so on to deal with.
If anyone is serious about prepping for the "zombie apocalypse", learn trapping.

Pigs are perfect for this. They are the chicken of the wilderness. But they're better than chickens because they have almost no natural predators. They were basically made for humans, the perfect omnivore dinner companion.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 9:06:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Super pigs? Nothing Midcap can’t handle.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 9:06:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL. Post-apocalypse, feral hogs will still be here to root through the paunch of the last of the great hunters.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 9:09:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Someone tell Klaus and Bill that they can shelve the whole eating bugs thing.

We’ve got a new source of protein!
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 9:09:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Why is Texas unable to deal with its pig problem?
View Quote

Lack of explosives. Just put out a feeder with 100lb of TNT remote detonated and a video live feed. When the pigs gather, you set it off. Done.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 9:12:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Imagine that, Canada faces a pig bomb of super hogs that are wreaking financial havoc on farms and environmental havoc everywhere else but they say hunting them isn't a good way of dealing with it... probably because it would require all the icky guns they despise and have banned.  It's a proven fact that one shooter with an AR15 can kill way more pigs than a liberal can with hopes and dreams.  Sorry Mr. Maple Feelgood, your thinly veiled anti gun agenda is easy to see.
View Quote

THEY GO NOCTURNAL!  THERES LITERALLY NOTHING YOU CAN DO AFTER THAT.  NOCTURNAL I SAY.
@holosun
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 9:20:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 9:21:21 AM EDT
[#28]
I would not say hunting to control populations is not impossible, but it is difficult.  There are a series of facts/assumptions to that assertion.

• 1.  Hogs are relatively intelligent.  They adapt fairly quickly.  If you hunt during the day, they will almost immediately become nocturnal.  If you hunt a specific area, they will move.  They will also adapt their diets.
  • 2.  Our rural populations have become less densely populated.  The population is also less focused on self sustainability.  There are not farmers/ranchers every 80 acres, looking for something to kill for their next meal.  If they don't shoot a animal every few days, there is always the grocery store.  Work schedules have less time for hunting.
  • 3.  A large percentage of land is privately owned.  Hunters are not welcome to hunt everywhere.  Going back to their adaptability.  If they learn one plot is hunted, but 3 other's are not - they can easily move to places that are sanctuaries.
  • 4. Hogs will self regulate their populations based on available feed.  Given more feed, they will reach reproductive size quicker, have larger litters, have more frequent litters.  We have been unsuccessful eliminating coyotes for the same reasons.
Our wild hogs are somewhat managed in Texas.  We can control their numbers somewhat, but the control has to be ongoing.  It comes down to cost benefit.  If you reduce their numbers enough, the crop damage is minimized.  Additional efforts are more difficult and have less cost benefit.  Eventually they reproduce enough that it is necessary to control their numbers again.  Tech - thermal and better traps add cost, but also make this easier to accomplish.  Current best practices I have found are thermal hunts and remote controlled (with remote surveillance) drop traps.

I have some friends who operate a dairy and have a fairly substantial extended family.  The dairy requires them to plant several thousands of acres of corn annually.  They also have neighbors who plant several thousands of acres of corn annually.  In the past, they have occasionally allowed thermal marketers to come in and do an irradiation hunt - the hunt being used for marketing videos (probably with those pictures of piles of pigs that show up on the internet).  They are currently running 2-3 rotary drop traps.  I think they harvested 60 or so pigs annually the last 2 years - which is enough to control their crop damage.  

In my area - the single most effective method of hog control has been something that AR15 and virtually every other gun/hunting forum has deplored.  Economics.  About 25 miles from me is a "game ranch".  They market hog hunts.  Make it sound like their land is over run by feral hogs.  They "gave" away hog hunts, but there was NOTHING free about it.  You paid for bait, you paid for your guide, you paid for processing the hogs - it was strait out of Tin Men.  It cost every bit as much as paying for the hunt.  They seemed over run by hogs because they purchased and released hogs almost daily from local trappers.  People trapped because it was profitable to do so.  They payed between $5 for a pigglet to $100 for a large hog.  Trapper could make $500 of beer money a week easy - and with enough trappers, the game ranch stayed over run by hogs.  Only problem is the internet would expose them every few years and virtually shut the operation down.  People got all pissy when they realized they were paying for canned hunts.

Link Posted: 1/21/2023 9:33:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Just ARFcom members alone could line up 3 feet apart along the entire Canadian border and walk slowly north, sammich makers to the rear acting as ammo bearers, and by the end of the month there wouldn't be a pig alive in the country. Then, since we were there anyway, we could just annex British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba.

Or not.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top