Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/10/2023 1:36:51 PM EDT
Biden and Trump have been accused of having classified documents in their possession.

Is there a single storage location for classified information? Is it operated like a library where people have to check out documents? Who oversees the distribution of these documents?

We are told that some of these documents could have national security implications, yet no one seems to know what documents are “out there” and who was last in possession of them.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Classified information should be secured in SCIFs.

Presidents get to do special things as the OG OCA.

It’s all just political theatre with those 2 anyway.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 1:42:27 PM EDT
[#2]
They need a way to get rid of brandon.

(other than all of the obvious ones they've ignored until now...)

OH LOOK, TS SCI!
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 1:43:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't see how it could be lumped into or viewed as a forever viewed bad thing category since something secret may have been based on a point of time and only valid or needed for a time period. I watched a segment on 60 minutes many years ago where the guy over a secret document storage place explained there were different levels of secret and being President didn't seem to even get you access to some levels of secret. I hope he survived after the interview.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 1:44:55 PM EDT
[#4]
The difference is that the former Vice President couldn't have declassified those documents in his possession.

The VP is not a declassifier.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't see how it could be lumped into or viewed as a forever viewed bad thing category since something secret may have been based on a point of time and only valid or needed for a time period. I watched a segment on 60 minutes many years ago where the guy over a storage place explained there were different levels of secret and being President didn't seem to even get you access to some levels of secret. I hope he survived after the interview.
View Quote

It's not levels exactly.

If you have a Top Secret clearance, you can't just go around and ask to see everyone's Top Secret documents... the information is compartmentalized such that each person only sees the part they need to see.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 1:47:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not all classified info must be stored in a SCIF. Confidential and secret may be stored in an appropriate storage container (safe) outside of a SCIF.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 1:48:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It's not levels exactly.

If you have a Top Secret clearance, you can't just go around and ask to see everyone's Top Secret documents... the information is compartmentalized such that each person only sees the part they need to see.
View Quote

I would guess it is like a clearance thing I had once years ago where added things on the badge got you in more places or rooms.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 1:54:15 PM EDT
[#8]
"It's different when WE do it".
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 1:55:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The difference is that the former Vice President couldn't have declassified those documents in his possession.

The VP is not a declassifier.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/10/2023 2:34:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, Ukraine!
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 2:40:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Is Sandy Berger still in prison?
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 2:41:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The fact that classified material, specifically SECRET and above is so controlled is what makes the things Klinton (and maybe Trump and now Biden) did with classified material so unfathomable to anyone who knows how “the system” is supposed to work.

Yes, classified is stored in a “library”; as others have said, called a SCIF.

Every SCIF I have been in had:

1.  You had to be cleared/authorized to enter.
2.  Custodian monitoring who went in/out.
3.  Couldn’t take any other material (writing, recording, cell phone, etc.) with you; those were stored in a container outside.
4.  No such materials (writing, recording, etc.) in the SCIF, either.
5.  One had to be under Courier Orders (i.e. specific authorization to take classified out of the SCIF).
6.  Designated “containers”/carriers for transporting classified.
7.  Material removed had to be specifically logged in/out by type, format, etc.

So when one hears about Klinton sending or having someone send classified to the fax machine (or printer, whatever) in her home, or her not understanding that the little letters in parens on every line in a document is that line’s classification or them removing the classification banners from classified material and sending it around…it’s unfathomable.@Moof1
View Quote

Those must have been little itty bitty SCIFs to not have any pens or paper inside.

Entire buildings are SCIFs with open storage of classified material, they have pens, paper, printers, etc.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 2:48:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Trump could have had his own security detail in a fort Knox safe 24/7 and it would have been an insurrection

Obama can have whatever the fuck he wants in a wet folder taped to his bicycle chain locked to an ice cream shop door
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 2:55:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Those must have been little itty bitty SCIFs to not have any pens or paper inside.

Entire buildings are SCIFs with open storage of classified material, they have pens, paper, printers, etc.

Kharn
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The fact that classified material, specifically SECRET and above is so controlled is what makes the things Klinton (and maybe Trump and now Biden) did with classified material so unfathomable to anyone who knows how "the system" is supposed to work.

Yes, classified is stored in a "library"; as others have said, called a SCIF.

3.  Couldn't take any other material (writing, recording, cell phone, etc.) with you; those were stored in a container outside.
5.  One had to be under Courier Orders (i.e. specific authorization to take classified out of the SCIF).
6.  Designated "containers"/carriers for transporting classified.

So when one hears about Klinton sending or having someone send classified to the fax machine (or printer, whatever) in her home, or her not understanding that the little letters in parens on every line in a document is that line's classification or them removing the classification banners from classified material and sending it around it's unfathomable.@Moof1

Kharn
Yeah. I got really good with my little "UNCLASSIFIED" paper stamper for all my notes the last few months. Recently had to be the B&P manager on a fully classified proposal of which only about 5% of the material was actually classified. I had to do a fuckload of transcribing for all the lowside work that needed to be done. Total PITA. There was no reason it shouldn't have just been a Unclass/CUI package with a classified appendix. Fuckers.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 2:58:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not really. Trumps documents were declassified by himself, which he had the power to do.

Biden did not have the power to declassify the documents he potentially mishandled. We’re they declassified either through process or did Obama declassify them?

If they were not declassified he should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 2:59:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The fact that classified material, specifically SECRET and above is so controlled is what makes the things Klinton (and maybe Trump and now Biden) did with classified material so unfathomable to anyone who knows how “the system” is supposed to work.

3.  Couldn’t take any other material (writing, recording, cell phone, etc.) with you; those were stored in a container outside.

So when one hears about Klinton sending or having someone send classified to the fax machine (or printer, whatever) in her home, or her not understanding that the little letters in parens on every line in a document is that line’s classification or them removing the classification banners from classified material and sending it around…it’s unfathomable.@Moof1
View Quote

All classified material is not stored in a SCIF.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 3:03:45 PM EDT
[#18]
In fact, classified material can be sent via USPS.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 3:05:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
In fact, classified material can be sent via USPS.
View Quote
Just like when midcaps banging his chonkers, you just gotta double bag it!
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 3:06:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Data spills are not uncommon, but the volume suspected from the Clintons are another level.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 3:06:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Just stick them down your pants.

/sandy berger out
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 3:07:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not all classified info must be stored in a SCIF. Confidential and secret may be stored in an appropriate storage container (safe) outside of a SCIF.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's all just political theatre with those 2 anyway.

What about on a private email server in your bathroom?
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 3:08:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I sometimes wonder if this is political theater to sway the public into cheering classified info being withheld from the chief executive.

(supreme deep council's eyes only)
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 3:10:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
A SCIF stores/processes Sensitive Compartmented Information. It's a handling program. Not all classified material is SCI. In fact, the vast majority of it is not.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 3:16:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Don't forget to use the proper stapler...

Link Posted: 1/10/2023 3:18:30 PM EDT
[#26]
and that brings up the issue of "over-classification." things getting stamped secret or classified just because someone wants to limit access to the info, not because it's actually sensitive
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 3:22:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Don't forget to use the proper stapler...

https://i.imgur.com/laNoBl7.png
View Quote
Bro, where's your SECRET//NOFORN stapler!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 3:23:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
and that brings up the issue of "over-classification." things getting stamped secret or classified just because someone wants to limit access to the info, not because it's actually sensitive
View Quote
DARPA, is that you?
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 3:25:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Serious question.   Is this information stored in paper form only?    Meaning removing it from the scif or wherever and its lost to history never to be seen again?   Or is it all digitized / imaged?    

Normally Id say of course it’s digitzed !   But this is .gov were talking about,
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 3:28:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Serious question.   Is this information stored in paper form only?    Meaning removing it from the scif or wherever and its lost to history never to be seen again?   Or is it all digitized / imaged?    

Normally Id say of course it's digitzed !   But this is .gov were talking about,
View Quote
Depends on if it's the original doc or not. A lot of the copies I get are hardcopy which are documented in a transfer. Sometimes we'll do an electronic transfer via SIPRnet to cd and back onto our internal network. Unless you have all the extra admin privilege's it is not easy to print out something or scan something in. It's not too tough to go low to high but high to low can be a total PITA to transfer stuff.

In theory it's meant to be cumbersome as that puts multiple people and steps in the process. I fucking hate couriering shit too.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 3:31:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Is Sandy Berger still in prison?
View Quote

He’s dead Jim…
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 3:32:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I keep it in the drawer next to my SECRET//CNWDI swingline.

Link Posted: 1/10/2023 3:36:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hopefully you've got a shelf for all your //REL TO xxx staplers too!
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 3:38:46 PM EDT
[#34]
I just knew this thread would be full of acronyms and jargon
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 4:16:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I just knew this thread would be full of acronyms and jargon
View Quote

We could explain, but then we'd have to kill you.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 8:23:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Biden wasn't president when he took those docs.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 8:34:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What, no HVSACO?
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 8:54:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A bathroom is neither a SCIF or an appropriate container.   But if you’re a Clinton you can do it.  It says so in the Constitution.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 9:22:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

A bathroom is neither a SCIF or an appropriate container.   But if you’re a Clinton you can do it.  It says so in the Constitution.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SCIFs have bathrooms.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

SCIFs have bathrooms.

Kharn
View Quote

Pooping in a SCIF

Link Posted: 1/10/2023 10:05:58 PM EDT
[#41]
ehhh bullshit charges for either of em unless they personally removed the files. some underling screwed up or violated. no way either of them ever actually locked at files
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 10:09:28 PM EDT
[#42]
What matters is that if it were you or me in this situation we'd be in Federal pound me in the ass prison right now. But since it's a DC swamp creature it's cool.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 10:29:45 PM EDT
[#43]

A printer, a cover sheet, a clipboard, and a pen are all it takes.
Print a bunch of emails, make notes on what you want to send back, transcribe, shred the poo-fleck covered emails and cover sheet, use hand sanitizer.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 10:38:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Recommended reading:

EO 13526
DoD Manual 5200.01 Volumes 1 and 3.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:54:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is correct
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 4:10:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 4:31:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What, no HVSACO?
View Quote

99.9% missed that altogether.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 4:34:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are entire caveats created with the intention of limiting access to info.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 4:54:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Kharn

Yep, our whole campus houses two SCIFs, both office buildings are SCIFs and even though both facilities are open storage SCIFs, document markings and covers are strictly enforced. There are classification guides, and yes, my badge will get me access to any TS/SCI federal facility in the IC, but even with access, you need to be on the visiting roster or in their local system, and read-on if you do visit a particular program. All the material above CUI will have a declassification date and authority. IMHO, too much shit is classified that isn't necessary, and the shit that's truly necessary becomes a political/bureaucrat magnet. Secret is important, but can be stored in properly rated GSA safes; it's pretty common in just about any military or IC type organization that doesn't use a lot of TS/SCI material. Most organizations just have a smaller SCIF for the TS/SCI stuff or access to the platforms and video conferences.

The compartmentalized nature is pretty strict and even inside a SCIF you could have various Specials Access Programs (SAP) or various projects that you are unauthorized to access without that "need to know" and being "read on" to whatever it is (and read-off if departing or leaving that program).

For the less hieratical, mishandling the material can be a career ender pretty quick, potentially criminal.

Clinton and Biden are both in violation with their handling of classified material. Trump (or any POTUS) is the ultimate declassification authority, whether you like it or not; and even with him saying "I declassify this shit", his staff still needs to follow up on the administrative declassification process.

Quoted:

I shit with classified material all time, but flushing classified shit paper isn't authorized

Ironically, the NsA has their little wireless no-no teams catch about 15-20 people a day with an unauthorized wireless device; phones, iWatch, fitbit, etc. (there's a big fucking list). First time it's a slap, it gets worse after that. I just leave my phone in the truck to avoid all the bullshit. I've seen a few GS interns fuck up royally with phones going off during a high-side brief

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 5:07:39 AM EDT
[#50]
I was my unit's CMS custodian (alternate), and courier.

There certainly was no "checking out SECRET materials" for home use.

The only particularly memorable moments doing that was when I burnt all the keying material on a cold hilltop in Korea when that EP3 was forced down in China, and traveling across Asia in '02 (by plane, when everyone else had to take a boat)to deliver materials to places in the Philippines and Thailand,  via Malaysia.   5 star hotels, satcom (when such was still pretty James Bond).  Fun times.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top