BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 1:42:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The old 23...lots of fond memories and delusions.
http://www.flugzeuginfo.net/acimages/learjet23_n73ce_2_yanksairmuseum12.jpg
View Quote
@ pcsutton

Serios? Business or personal and what Time frame.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 1:49:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
<==== 1962 Aero Commander 500B (with pilot door, fully deiced/hot props & windshield, turbochargers, extended baggage compartment and a few other goodies).

Purchased in 1999 and still flying it regularly (that means "obsessively" to you normal non-pilot folk).

/TCP
View Quote
@TCpilot
That's Amazing. I always loved those. Do you anual it or is it under a maintenance program?

If you anual it what are your average yearly cost including fixes?

I designed an executive interior for one last year. It was never finalized as the owner went through a nasty divorce and the plane was sold. His divorce included selling our Engineering drawings, burn test, and DER approvals to the new owner. It was a fun plane to work with and I respected how much then owner loved the plane.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 1:56:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 1:56:37 AM EDT
[#4]
You guys are living the dream.

For a long time I've been paid to fly other people's stuff.  In some amazing places, in a lot of shit holes, but I do dream.  Flying my own airplane, how, when and where I want, that is the dream.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 2:04:37 AM EDT
[#5]

ETA:

Not my first.. but first one that doesn't fit into the toy category.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 2:05:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If it flies, floats or fucks, you're better off renting it!!!
View Quote
But then you don't. When you own your own plane or your own boat, you find places to go with it things to do with it. When you rent he just stop doing it, or at least that's been my experience. When it's costing you $100 an hour you just don't say hey let's go to lunch. But when you're plane is sitting there you do.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 2:06:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been wondering if your name was connected
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 2:13:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've been wondering if your name was connected
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 10:31:26 AM EDT
[#9]
My first, most likely the last.  I'll never be able to afford the kind of airplane I'd get any enjoyment out of, and 30 years of flying for a living has pretty much destroyed any desire to fly for fun.  These days I'd never fly anything besides day, VFR in a light airplane, and traveling any distance at less than 400 Knots ground speed just isn't any fun anymore.

It's all I can do to get my wife in first class on my airline, she would never go flying in a little airplane, and none of the kids have any desire to be involved in aviation.

Sadly, I don't think I'd shed any tears if it blew away in a tornado, or the hangar collapsed some time.

Link Posted: 12/14/2017 10:43:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Post the first airplane you purchased?  I can't even afford a first airplane.
Guess I'm just going to have to be poor somewhere else!  
View Quote
I can barely afford to buy the glue to put together a model airplane! Maybe I should have tried to do something with My life.
Lucky for Me, the USAF let Me play with Theirs..
I always wished I could afford a bug-masher.

The Ol' Crew Chief
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 10:49:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Never owned one, but I flew a PA-11 once, a father of one of the kids in my church's youth group was an airline pilot and former A-4 pilot. When he found out I wanted to go to the Air Force Academy, he said, "Let's go flying" after church one day. Tandem cockpit, and I was the backseater, so I couldn't really see much up front, but we had the door latched open so we could look out over LaGrange. Flew out to my house and "dive bombed" it. Only time I've ever flown a plane, but I kept her shiny side up
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 11:01:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Lousy picture, but a great airplane.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 12:53:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
@TCpilot
That's Amazing. I always loved those. Do you anual it or is it under a maintenance program?

I designed an executive interior for one last year. It was never finalized as the owner went through a nasty divorce and the plane was sold. His divorce included selling our Engineering drawings, burn test, and DER approvals to the new owner. It was a fun plane to work with and I respected how much then owner loved the plane.
View Quote
I have it annualed every year. If nothing serious needs attention, it's around $12k for the annual. Every 3-5 years something goes haywire though. This year, it's the fuel cells (5). They finally started leaking, and they're all original 1962 cells except for one of the wing cells that we replaced a few years ago...with a cell produced in 1960. So here I sit, looking up at a cloudless blue sky, awaiting a $4,900 center fuel cell that damn well better show up before this weather pattern changes!

I live in an expensive place to store airplanes; my tiedown is $337/month. No hangars available for a 50' wingspan near me, and they'd be $3,500/month if there were. I block the airplane for 30 gal/hour (let's go fast!), but I can get it down to ~23 gal/hour burn if I'm gentle. So ~$130/hr. for fuel. I refuse to track any other costs; I'm better off not knowing.

On multiple occasions I've considered upgrading to a 980 Turbine Commander, several of which I've flown, except that this airplane fits my mission profile perfectly. There's really no good reason to make the leap. Every time I fly, I marvel at what an incredible piece of machinery it is.

/TCP

eta tiedown cost
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 1:55:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 2:12:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a lot of good memories of this one.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 2:39:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
@TCpilot:  I can't see a Commander without remembering Bob Hoover, "The Pilot's Pilot".
https://public-media.smithsonianmag.com/filer/7c/f1/7cf1f2b5-01f6-4e78-ae5b-7548f39ee64b/hoover-bob-2.jpeg
View Quote
@kpel308, I became interested in Commanders after seeing Bob fly his routine at Stockton in 1994 or so. I was lucky enough to have dinner with Bob a couple of times over the past 15 years, he'd come to our Twin Commander Group get-togethers. One night was a table for 4, 3 of us & Mr. Hoover . He told epic stories, and beat into us the "NEVER STOP FLYING THE AIRPLANE UNTIL IT IS COMPLETELY AT REST" philosophy. He says many pilots die because they quit flying before the airplane does. Valuable life lesson.

My mechanic has a history of repatriating Commanders from South America, where maintenance is questionable. I've flown a bunch of them prior to restoration, so I've had electrical, engine, and hydraulic (gear, flaps, brakes) failures in these airplanes. All non-events, with the redundant and robust systems in these airplanes. I love these machines.

Interesting side note, I've been in the "Hoover Hornet". That airplane (which is now in the Smithsonian) was sponsored by Victor Aviation (engines), and they were based at my home field. Bob's plane was always there for a couple of weeks per year.

/TCP
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 3:56:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
@TCpilot

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<==== 1962 Aero Commander 500B (with pilot door, fully deiced/hot props & windshield, turbochargers, extended baggage compartment and a few other goodies).

Purchased in 1999 and still flying it regularly (that means "obsessively" to you normal non-pilot folk).

/TCP
@TCpilot

Just waiting on that lottery win.

The Dash-10 Grand Renaissance Commander has been a dream of mine for many, many years.

Beauty, performance, and NOISE.  Gotta love those Garrett turbines.

https://www.eagle-creek.com/twin-commander/grand-renaissance/
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 4:07:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Error 404, large wads of cash not found.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 5:15:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
@M82Assault: I have bad news. This happens immediately after the acquisition of an airplane, and then perpetually thereafter. Myth: "That guy has an airplane...he must be loaded." Truth: "I own an airplane. I am always 5 steps from bankruptcy."
Quoted:
The Dash-10 Grand Renaissance Commander has been a dream of mine for many, many years.

https://www.eagle-creek.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/twincommander900ext1mn.jpg

@mucknuggle: The howl of a pair of 1,017SHP Garretts on the ramp is unequaled (but they're pretty quiet in flight). That Turbine 1000 will outclimb my airplane on one engine. Fully loaded. When my airplane is empty and running perfectly. And then it will carry you and 9 of your closest friends in pressurized comfort at 310ktas, at FL310, nonstop from SF to DC (eastbound anyway).

King Air pilots always say, "yeah, but those Garretts make so much damn noise." Standard Commander pilot reply: "Well, when I throttle back to King Air speeds, they hardly make any noise at all."

/TCP
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If it flies, floats or fucks, you're better off renting it!!!
View Quote
That's what the folks who have little, say...

So they can feelz better...

Link Posted: 12/14/2017 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
@M82Assault: I have bad news. This happens immediately after the acquisition of an airplane, and then perpetually thereafter. Myth: "That guy has an airplane...he must be loaded." Truth: "I own an airplane. I am always 5 steps from bankruptcy."
@mucknuggle: The howl of a pair of 1,017SHP Garretts on the ramp is unequaled (but they're pretty quiet in flight). That Turbine 1000 will outclimb my airplane on one engine. Fully loaded. When my airplane is empty and running perfectly. And then it will carry you and 9 of your closest friends in pressurized comfort at 310ktas, at FL310, nonstop from SF to DC (eastbound anyway).

King Air pilots always say, "yeah, but those Garretts make so much damn noise." Standard Commander pilot reply: "Well, when I throttle back to King Air speeds, they hardly make any noise at all."

/TCP
View Quote
@TCPilot

I'm well aware, I've done plenty of research on the matter my post was more "I don't have the large wads of cash to buy one so I can be poor and happy for the rest of my life."

Link Posted: 12/14/2017 9:13:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

https://www.eagle-creek.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/twincommander900ext1mn.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

/TCP
@TCpilot

After reading up on Commanders, my opinion has done a complete 180. I thought they were fugly (even with Hoover's piloting behind them) but now they've instantly grown on me
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 11:04:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It was a kit plane. I had to build it. It looked like this when I took possession

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/1345603_f520.jpg
View Quote
sadly that and balsa models are as much as I can afford, fuck you guys.........
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 11:13:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My first, most likely the last.  I'll never be able to afford the kind of airplane I'd get any enjoyment out of, and 30 years of flying for a living has pretty much destroyed any desire to fly for fun.  These days I'd never fly anything besides day, VFR in a light airplane, and traveling any distance at less than 400 Knots ground speed just isn't any fun anymore.

It's all I can do to get my wife in first class on my airline, she would never go flying in a little airplane, and none of the kids have any desire to be involved in aviation.

Sadly, I don't think I'd shed any tears if it blew away in a tornado, or the hangar collapsed some time.

<a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/user/nimslow/media/IMG_0384_zpspieltw8f.jpg.html"></a>http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/nimslow/IMG_0384_zpspieltw8f.jpg
View Quote
I would take it and love it and hug it and call it george.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

After reading up on Commanders, my opinion has done a complete 180. I thought they were fugly (even with Hoover's piloting behind them) but now they've instantly grown on me
View All Quotes
Quoted:

@MadMonkey Yes! Another convert! I will never forget, I watched a P-51 and then an F-15 perform prior to Bob Hoover pulling onto the runway in his Shrike. I distinctly thought, "what is this idiot going to do in this aerial pickup truck?" 5 minutes later, I was speechless. And now I own one.

Quoted:

@TCPilot

I'm well aware, I've done plenty of research on the matter my post was more "I don't have the large wads of cash to buy one so I can be poor and happy for the rest of my life."

@M82Assault Keep on trucking and don't give up the dream. We're all a mere lotto win away from that *one* thing .

/TCP
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 6:24:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
you bought the only airplane that both sucks and blows....

Polish buzzbomb

Actually I've always wanted an O2
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 6:37:18 PM EDT
[#28]
I remember it fondly. The way the balsa wood pieces fit together was magical.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 6:40:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Flying is a rich mans game that I will never be a part of (I always wanted to be a pilot growing up as a teen...couldn't even afford lessons )

Beautiful planes fellas
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 6:51:30 PM EDT
[#30]
last pic I have before we tore it down:

'68 7ECA. New metal spars and fabric all around, engine is shelled and she's about ready except for that. Soon.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 4:55:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Hey give me my avatar back!!!

Quoted:

The IA that does the annual inspections is a real ball buster...

Well it's kinda cold here. I really don't want to go UP THERE (NY).
View Quote
I heard that IA mumbles to himself a lot and trips over his shoe laces............

Don’t blame you about Noo Yawk.......
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top